America's Cup

For anything else...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, spzretent, MODLAB, NightWash

les revenantes
Known user

America's Cup

Post by les revenantes »

Saw the 1st of two races today at the America's Cup. Each race is about 20 minutes long and the cats are bloooody fast - up to 50 knots ! Beautiful day in the City around 35 celsius and birds galore ! Their were just as many Kiwis and Aussies as Yanks. Bloody Fantastic. Team NZ just swept both races today and more than likely the Cup will go Down Under. Ellison/Oracle deserve to lose - I mean really, cheating ?! 162 years and you had to cheat to win ?! Pathetic.
" Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead. " - Charles Bukowski
jack white
Known user

Re: America's Cup

Post by jack white »

I don't do boating/sailing but that was p captivating & exciting. Good fun.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
les revenantes
Known user

Post by les revenantes »

Bollocks !

I'm a good sportsman if they had won it fair and square, but cheating in a sailing boat race - you got to be joking.
Putting lead weights in the hulls is a serious breach of sportsman and integrity.

Even the critics noted that a " two point deduction " was considered a very light penalty. I would have disqualified TeamOracle from the get go and hand over the trophy to the Kiwis or at least a 5-6 pt. penalty deduction.

Ellison is still an arsehole !
" Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead. " - Charles Bukowski
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

i have no idea?? i'll have to take your word for it. just seemed a fun turnaround. care to elaborate on what exactly happened?
gonna burn brightly
for a while
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

les revenantes wrote:Bollocks !

I'm a good sportsman if they had won it fair and square, but cheating in a sailing boat race - you got to be joking.
Putting lead weights in the hulls is a serious breach of sportsman and integrity.

Even the critics noted that a " two point deduction " was considered a very light penalty. I would have disqualified TeamOracle from the get go and hand over the trophy to the Kiwis or at least a 5-6 pt. penalty deduction.

Ellison is still an arsehole !
Weird that in yesterdays coverage none of this cheating was mentioned. It really seems to have pissed off our resident anti-American/Anglophile Spacemanrich. Bollocks, bloody, arsehole Yanks.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
les revenantes
Known user

Post by les revenantes »

http://www.scmp.com/sport/other-sport/a ... ericas-cup

Anti-American ?

Really: Anti-cheating and Anti-Ellison
Greeny
Known user

Post by Greeny »

I've only set foot in a sailboat once and my missus gets seasick in the bath, plus I would normally put yacht racing in there with chess for its TV potential.

How bloody wrong was I?

Thanks in the main to the extraordinary quality of the TV coverage we were both hooked from the moment we caught some reruns of the LV Cup eliminators during a late night channel surf on Sky Sports.

The final series itself... Wow. Having watched it all unfold from the start, with Team Oracle getting its arse handed to it by the Kiwis and all hope seemingly lost, there will never be another comeback like it in all of sports. Probably only the Red Sox/Yankees ALCS comes close, due to the last gasp point at which the tide turned. Liverpool vs Milan? Nah, that turned at half time, not the 89th minute...

Just breathtaking. I don't know what to do with myself tonight, I can't believe it's over. If the next series returns to SF Bay we're so there...