Record players, stereo systems- need advice

For anything else...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, spzretent, MODLAB, NightWash

heisenberg
Known user

Record players, stereo systems- need advice

Post by heisenberg »

My Steepletone turntable cd radio system's cd compartment has packed in. It's annoying me. I don't know if it's worth my while trying to get it fixed, or whether to invest in a new stereo.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a good system with a turntable, CD player and maybe dock for MP3 player? My budget isn't the greatest, so maybe £200 max. At the very least, I'd be interested in knowing what record players you all use.

Thanks.
olan
Known user

Re: Record players, stereo systems- need advice

Post by olan »

Unless you can get the CDP repaired you are knackered. Does your system have a line in? If so, I would simply trundle out and buy a new CDP and run it into the line in. If you are looking to buy cheaply, eBay is probably not going to be the best place to look, as prices are just silly there. I would suggest your local charity shops are a decent place to start, otherwise, put your anorak on, arm yourself with some cup-a-soup in a thermos and venture on to a few hi-fi sites (mind the nerds, pedants and wierdos though).

In the UK the two most active Hi Fi sites are Hi Fi Wigwam (www.hifiwigwam.com) and Pinkfishmedia (www.pinkfishmedia.net). Both have classifieds where you need to be a member with lots of posts to advertise to sell, but there are no restrictions if you are buying. Have a browse on there and see what you find. I bought a £350 class D amp/dac for £75 on Hi Fi Wigwam, which drives a pair of ancient, but brilliant Kef speakers I bought yonks ago for £50. Add a T/T and and CDP and you should be there. There are decent turntables available on Hi Fi Wigwam for under £50, and you should be able to get a CDP for £40. In some ways it is safer to buy on an Hi Fi forum than eBay because there is a reputation effect. If you have to post 100+ times before you sell, you are not going to want to get a rep for being a thief/bastard.

If you are not in the UK, just check out the local Hi Fi forum(s).