World Cup Brasil 2014

For anything else...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, spzretent, MODLAB, NightWash

jack white
Known user

Re: World Cup Brasil 2014

Post by jack white »

All this bullshit about how passionately Brasil sing their anthem but no mention of how they boo & jeer their oponents anthem? Bullshit. Brasil is presenting a really unsavoury image of their country this wc.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Blitzkrieg ! Germany strikes first !
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Now that's what I call a proper throbbing ! 4-0 in the 25th minute !
Cesare=overrated.
KingHarry
Known user

Post by KingHarry »

Quite sad to see.

Fernandinho stumbling around from the off like some 7 am smackhead
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

In fairness, they've all been absolutely shocking, no use pointing out 1. This could really get to Ferna, after all the hard work getting in the team after a great season.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Ouch. Pack up, go home.
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

Nothing sad about it. They deserve it. More please Germany.
Brasil have made a shambles of this semi - Colombia would've been a far better match.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
KingHarry
Known user

Post by KingHarry »

James T wrote:In fairness, they've all been absolutely shocking, no use pointing out 1. This could really get to Ferna, after all the hard work getting in the team after a great season.
Their midfield is so poor that I assumed that he'd improve them. Since getting into the side he spent the last game scrambling around trying to kick Rodriguez in the air, and this one scrambling around doing air kicks and gifting goals away.
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Their defense is porous, all it took is a quality team to pick it apart. Yes, more ! Keep the pedal on the throttle and continue the assault. 9-0 anyone ?

The Brazilian players are dejected and Brazilians are crying in the stands - I love it !!!
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

yes, more goals & more tears please germany.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

My wildcard bet of 19-0 to Germany might just come in after all.

950,000 to 1.
O P 8
KingHarry
Known user

Post by KingHarry »

spacemanrich wrote:Their defense is porous, all it took is a quality team to pick it apart. Yes, more ! Keep the pedal on the throttle and continue the assault. 9-0 anyone ?

The Brazilian players are dejected and Brazilians are crying in the stands - I love it !!!
Why? I don't get the animosity to the Brazilians coming through in this thread. Yes, the team are dull, workman-like, cynical, and full of Chelsea whoppers - so yes, no time for that. Not sure what the people of Brazil have done though ... Bit weird
KingHarry
Known user

Post by KingHarry »

Difficult to keep count of the number of penalty area dives by Brazil.

I blame Mourinho.
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

KingHarry wrote:
spacemanrich wrote:Their defense is porous, all it took is a quality team to pick it apart. Yes, more ! Keep the pedal on the throttle and continue the assault. 9-0 anyone ?

Why? I don't get the animosity to the Brazilians coming through in this thread. Yes, the team are dull, workman-like, cynical, and full of Chelsea whoppers - so yes, no time for that. Not sure what the people of Brazil have done though ... Bit weird
Not at all. The attitudes expressed by brasilians has been as repellant as those of their team. Obnoxious, entitled & blinkered, jeering & booing the opposition they've been thoroughly unwelcoming hosts. Except for tonight & this German team..
gonna burn brightly
for a while
KingHarry
Known user

Post by KingHarry »

jack white wrote:
KingHarry wrote:

Not at all. The attitudes expressed by brasilians has been as repellant as those of their team. Obnoxious, entitled & blinkered, jeering & booing the opposition they've been thoroughly unwelcoming hosts. Except for tonight & this German team..
Football fans being blinkered and jeering the opposition - fuck me, that's unusual. 'Thoroughly unwelcoming hosts'? - yes, now you've convinced me, every time I've gazed at the telly and looked at the place and the people in yellow I've been thinking, please God never let me set foot inside this repellent place.
Not hard to feel sorry for the inhabitants of a 3rd world country, most of whom didn't want their country to spend lavish amounts on hosting the WCup (and the next Olympics!) at the expense of stuff like hospitals, who decided to chuck their lot behind their (clearly shit) team in the hope of winning a 6th cup, only to see them get humiliated in the semis.
Still, they did jeer the opposition the filthy cunts.
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

well said.

7 goals, amazing but bit sad really
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

KingHarry wrote:
Football fans being blinkered and jeering the opposition - fuck me, that's unusual. 'Thoroughly unwelcoming hosts'? - yes, now you've convinced me, every time I've gazed at the telly and looked at the place and the people in yellow I've been thinking, please God never let me set foot inside this repellent place.
Not hard to feel sorry for the inhabitants of a 3rd world country, most of whom didn't want their country to spend lavish amounts on hosting the WCup (and the next Olympics!) at the expense of stuff like hospitals, who decided to chuck their lot behind their (clearly shit) team in the hope of winning a 6th cup, only to see them get humiliated in the semis.
Still, they did jeer the opposition the filthy cunts.
This is the first World Cup in my memory where the hosts nations fans have behaved in such a discourteous manner. IMO they've been a poor advertisement for their country. The football fans & their attitudes.
They & their team deserved this.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

I don't get why it's sad at all. In fact it should be a good thing for Brazilian football: a wake-up call.
They'll prob cry off blame Colombia & carry on w/likes of fernandinho luiz paulinho. I hope not tho & they take it as a chance to start playing football again.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Ladies and Gentlemen that was quality football. If the Germans keep this form, I can't see the Dutch or Argentines beating them.

Their are a lot of fast players, but I don't remember in recent memory the speed of Angel di Maria with or without the ball, he's gotta be one of the fastest. He will be sorely missed tomorrow. Aguero will make an appearance ? Second half, perhaps ? Higuain has to play like he did the other night for Argentina to be successful, can't rely on Messi all the time. Also, I don't think they want a shootout with the Dutch. Tim Kruhl's behavior borders on gamemanship. Getting 1-2 meters from the opposing player and yelling a few choice words in their direction, in my opinion is uncalled for. I, know what he's trying to do : get in their heads, but it goes a bit too much. I can see an Argentine player pushing him out of the way. He too is over-rated. Only saved 2 pk's out of 20 when he was with Newcastle....

To beat the Brazilians in their backyard with that score was fantastic. Ozil almost or should have scored that goal and Neuer played fantastic and almost had a clean sheet.

Everybody made mention of wonderboy, Neymar getting injured and a complaint lodged against the Columbian player. But, what about James Rodriguez who was maimed ( no mention in the news ) ? Don't like Brazilian players. Did you see the waning moments of the Champions League Final : athletico madrid vs. real madrid where Marcello had a few words for Diego Simeone ? Diego Simeone came on the pitch restrained by several assistant coaches and he wanted to kill him ! Marcello said something to him - again poor sportsmanship ! So now, I'm glad that they lost horribly and I don't feel sorry about that !
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Fernandinho has had a thoroughly great season, and came on for Brazil in this tournament in a game they needed to win, scored one and set one up in the space of about 15 minutes. I find the comment about them putting up with him, as if it's a bad thing, quite unusual! I don't rate luiz but he's played at the top level for a while now and is good at changing defense to attack, there's worse players in better sides.

Ozil was shocking tonight, and every Brazilian. Maicon got a lot of stick, but he didn't play as bad as some.
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Ozil has been disappointing at the int'l and club level. I remember seeing him 8 years ago at the WC in Germany and S. Africa with amazing speed and agility that can turn a game around, but not now. He started well with Arsenal, but then faded away ... Disappointing WC for him, especially with that missed goal tonite. Tomas Muller is just simply fantastic. He deserves the golden boot.
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

James T wrote:Fernandinho has had a thoroughly great season, and came on for Brazil in this tournament in a game they needed to win, scored one and set one up in the space of about 15 minutes. I find the comment about them putting up with him, as if it's a bad thing, quite unusual! I don't rate luiz but he's played at the top level for a while now and is good at changing defense to attack, there's worse players in better sides.

Ozil was shocking tonight
re bold part - no, he wasn't. he was quiet in comparison to muller/kroos/khedira but he made a goal & could've had at least another assist.

as for fernandinho, well i know better than to debate with you the merits of city players... but i'm going to anyway.
there's no doubt fernandinho has his own qualities - physically adept & quick but in terms of being a ball playing midfielder his limitations wwere absolutely & ruthlessly exposed last night. compare him with proper footballers like kroos/schweinsteiger and you get a glimpse of how far wrong brasil have gone in employing him, paulinho/gustavo as their central players.
the evidence was there from the very get go - brasil's only real tactic was to lump long diagonal balls from luiz up the field totally bypassing midfield - b ecause the brazilian midfielders cannot get on the ball & play a constructive passing game. when fernandinho did get on the ball he was robbed by kroos & germany scored from it.

there is a place for the likes of fernandinho in football, but you don't base you team around limited ball players like him. if you do, you get what happened last night.

as for sideshow bob - how anyone can still defend or rate that clown beggars belief. the simple fact mourinho refused to play him at centre back tells the tale without even having to look at his displays & behaviour. he's a clown. & a loose canon, throws his elbows round worse than fellaini & should've been cautioned at the very least for his swing at muller last night.

not that the 3 players i mentioned were alone. marcelo had a crazily inept game, hulk was.. hulk & dante was useless.

if you put that brasil starting 11 in a club side vs that german 11 you prob could've predicted that thrashing last night. it's just the notion of brasil/home advantage disguised some of the fact that these are truly substandard footballers, both mentally & skill-wise.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

KingHarry wrote:Difficult to keep count of the number of penalty area dives by Brazil.

I blame Mourinho.

i don't get the mourinho comparison or jibes at all. yea mourinho plays a cynical game but he appreciates the craft & artistry of defending - he's not a bully or a cheat like what scolari inspires in his teams. there's a skill & effort to defending that mourinho employs, you would never ever see one of his teams play like brasil did last night. nor would you see them play the way brasil did against colombia for that matter.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

I found the references to the 1950 Uruguay defeat interesting. The Brazil players who played that day are still castigated for their role in the apparent 'humiliation'. Last night must outrank that by some distance. The line up will be remembered by the heart of Brazilian football fans for decades to come and you have to wonder how they will recover from such a battering.

The presumptuous nature of Brazil's approach left openings for a decent team to find them out and that's what happened in spectacular fashion against Germany, who were ruthless and organised against Brazil's messy set up. I had to laugh at Marcelo - his performance was woefully embarrassing - as he looked totally lost for so much of the game. Talk about karma! Also David Luiz who showed himself to be perhaps the worst captain ever to lead a World Cup side, and he played quite abysmally too. His role in several of the goals was plain to see.

Even my kids - hardly the greatest football fans - were screaming at the telly during the first half as they too were astonished at what happened. I said to them that they were witnessing football history and that I had never seen a game quite like that ever. I'm no fan of Germany but if they win the tournament good luck to them - anyone who can perform like that and utterly dismantle an admittedly poor Brazil side, who were the home nation with monumental support, deserves it. But who knows? The Dutch were amazing against Spain and then were largely outplayed by Australia, and remember Germany struggled against Ghana in the group stages. This tournament could end on a very high note.

After the somewhat edgy and somewhat dull quarter finals I don't think anyone expected an explosion quite like that!
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

jack white wrote:
KingHarry wrote:Difficult to keep count of the number of penalty area dives by Brazil.

I blame Mourinho.

i don't get the mourinho comparison or jibes at all. yea mourinho plays a cynical game but he appreciates the craft & artistry of defending - he's not a bully or a cheat like what scolari inspires in his teams. there's a skill & effort to defending that mourinho employs, you would never ever see one of his teams play like brasil did last night. nor would you see them play the way brasil did against colombia for that matter.
I don't understand the Mourinho mention, but also lets not overlook that Mourinho's Real Madrid cheated and bullied as much as any side, not to mention the man himself having a pop at gouging an opposition coaches eye.

Re: Fernandinho, I'm not defending him cause he's a city player, just because he's really good. I have no problems saying he played badly yesterday but the whole team did and it put a lot of pressure on his area of the pitch. He is a very good footballer beyond his physical ability, and any national side would be either crazy or overflowing with talent to leave him out of their world cup squad. I'm not saying he would start in the German side every game, but christ I think we've all seen schweinsteiger have rough patches, his own fans were on his back no end about a year or so ago. I will defend ramires in a similar way to Fernandinho, he is a great player and deserved to be there. They didn't build their team around these players, they were playing with all they had to offer, and did it really really really badly yesterday.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Well i certainly called that one wrong. Torturous grind it was not! :D

Brazil were appalling. Luiz once again proving that he cannot defend to save his life. Not surprised they were beat, just the manner of it.
I fancy an all European final now, I think the Dutch are stronger than Argentina.

@KingHarry, what's a 'whopper'? Seen you use that term a few times and i'm just curious about its meaning.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

On a slightly unrelated note, a 3 year deal for a 33 year old Gareth Barry seems very odd. Definitely a good signing after his work last year, but take it year by year... Although he was out of contract, city got over £2 million for him due to an agreement on the original loan, meaning if he signed permanently they would have to pay the fee. Good work for both teams, just not sure about the length.
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

If only ...... if only Scolari had implemented " Plan B " :
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (56.58 KiB) Viewed 10230 times
KingHarry
Known user

Post by KingHarry »

James T wrote:
jack white wrote:

I blame Mourinho.

I don't understand the Mourinho mention, but also lets not overlook that Mourinho's Real Madrid cheated and bullied as much as any side, not to mention the man himself having a pop at gouging an opposition coaches eye.
I'm not sure why I mentioned Mourinho. I think it was just a childish statement based on the fact that I hate him! Just ignore it.

However, on Mourinho (Jack White) - it was Benitez who refused to play Luiz as a central defender and shunted him into midfield. When Mourinho replaced him and returned to Chelsea, he ridiculed Rafa for doing this (he's got some weird inferiority problem with Benitez) and stated that he would only play him in defence - low and behold 6 mths later he had reverted to playing him in midfield.
I'm sill chuckling at JW saying that Mourinho is neither a bully or a cheat.

Sunray - 'whopper' is similar to weapon. Mourinho is a good example actually.

Difficult to know what to expect from tonight's game.
Holland have actually been pretty meh other than 45 minutes v Spain. Argentina, despite me really really wanting them to win it and be ace, have been nothing special.
Whoever gets through you have to fear for them v Germany. Having said that Germany were proved to be susceptible to pace v Algeria, so perhaps Robben could prove more trouble to them than Fred and Hulk.
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

i didn't say he wasn't a bully or a cheat - i said he wasn't a bully or a cheat like scolari is. mourinho can be cynical & nefarious as much as the next manager but he doesn't present his teams the way scolari does.

& what you mean was "it as benitez who first refused to play luiz as a central defender". it doesn't make my comment any less true.
tho credit where it's due to benitez & yourself as i'd forgotten that. & credit to benitez too for transforming kuyt from a striker(!) to a winger.

3-2 to argentina tonight.
or 3-2 to the netherlands..
:roll:
either will give germany a much tougher game. i'd say the dutch would prob be closer at the minute given how organised they can be as a unit - BUT the netherlands have had a few hard matches so far & argentina have grown as the competition has progressed. will know more about them after this should be a good test for both teams.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

This hasn't opened up at all. Wasn't really expecting a stalemate w/the two defences & keepers.. But atm it looks like pens., argies too cagey, Dutch too poor in possession.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
KingHarry
Known user

Post by KingHarry »

What a player Mascherano is. Really pine for that little monster.
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

What a match. I had my doubts if it went to pk's ( esp. if w/ Tim Kruhl's ). But they pulled thru tonite.
So happy for Messi and Company ! Mascherano and Zabaleto both got banged up pretty good, but the defense held up w/ good play by deMichelis too !

Well, looks like an all adidas final, I'll take the Germans, should be a good one !

all in or nothing
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

Mascherano as man of the match says it all. Poor quality game.

Sad for the Netherlands, they've brought a lot to the tournament.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
KingHarry
Known user

Post by KingHarry »

jack white wrote:Mascherano as man of the match says it all. Poor quality game.

One decent half v Spain.
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

KingHarry wrote:

One decent half v Spain.
3 fun games in group stages, one of all time great goals. 2 fun games in knockouts, awesome historic pens vs CR. Argentina have just strolled thru their games only fun they've offered is sabella/lavezzi.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
KingHarry
Known user

Post by KingHarry »

jack white wrote:
KingHarry wrote:

One decent half v Spain.
3 fun games in group stages, one of all time great goals. 2 fun games in knockouts, awesome historic pens vs CR. Argentina have just strolled thru their games only fun they've offered is sabella/lavezzi.
which one - Robben's or vPersie's odd header v Spain?
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

I'm with Harry here, don't think holland have been too good to watch. I also enjoyed the game last night, I don't think it was poor quality. More goals would've been nice, but it was exciting enough.

Argentina to win, that's what I went with before the groups and I stick with it.
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

KH - i was talking about RvP's header, but the fact you have to ask indicates that maybe netherlands brought more to the party than even i realised..

James T wrote:I'm with Harry here, don't think holland have been too good to watch.
huh..
James T wrote: I also enjoyed the game last night, I don't think it was poor quality...it was exciting enough.

in terms of excitement the netherlands have had more than their fair share of exciting games (last night wasn't one of them tho).
like i've said previously they're p poor in possession but that's par for the course for teams in this tournament - germany the exception. but in terms of entertainment - & being a surprise package - they've offered a lot more than most.
especially compared to argentina - who, against switzerland had probably the worst game of the tournament.

the dutch have gone a long ways to address their image problems from the van marwijk reign. they didn't play total football but they were brilliant fun & left the tournament with a handful of great memories, which is more than you can say for most of the teams, argentina included.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
KingHarry
Known user

Post by KingHarry »

jack white wrote:KH - i was talking about RvP's header, but the fact you have to ask indicates that maybe netherlands brought more to the party than even i realised..
I much preferred Robben's goal in the same game - when he ripped past Ramos. One of the best WCup goals I've seen.

Doesn't Van Gaal look uncannily like a Oompa Lumpa from Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory?
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

yea i love that goal too. it was an iconic moment.

think van gaal may have got it wrong last night in starting both de jong & rvp - neither fully fit & then having to sub off the indisciplined martins indi, left him w/o any other options. not that he necessarily was going to pull the same trick w/krul but there's no doubt that the keeper was really poor & weak against the argentina pens..
that clasie kid looks alright. suspect rumours will abound of a move to old trafford. certainly would be an improvement on cleaverly..
gonna burn brightly
for a while
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

De Jong was way off the pace last night. Few good challenges and touches, but I'd say he was the wrong choice.
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Adidas is likely to become the kitmaker for United - geez. Silly money being thrown around. That company from Portland were paying 24 million pounds/yr for sponsorship and now adidas is willing to pay more than double - 60 million pounds/yr ! Ridiculous. A 10 yr. deal worth $1.3 billion dollars or 750 million pounds ! What idiocy, no club is worth that much ? How are they going to recoup that money ? Do they expect to sell that many kits, boots, merchandise to offset these costs ??? :oops:

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football ... ith-Adidas

With that kind of money, I would secure more deals with mid-level clubs instead of squandering it in one club. I, just believe that the United brand will be on the decline. We'll see how Van Gaal does ?
Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

Post by Stuart X.Hunter »

4 seasons ago Man Utd were selling 1.5million kits and you may or may not have noticed shirts alone retail from between £25 and £75 GBP worldwide.

So based on 2010 sales Adidas would break even at worst and have there brand continually in the public eye.
The deal may also be heavily upfront weighted.

Adidas have been on a serious offensive trying to become the dominant brand once more - see the World Cup Final on Sunday.
They are targeting sales of close to £3billion this year
I'm sure they've done there long term maths on any man utd deal - perhaps Nike just don't fancy the margins here however Chevrolet also feel it good business sense to come aboard.

Now how many Fellaini' could that get us!
Shoulders back, smash it
KingHarry
Known user

Post by KingHarry »

Stuart X.Hunter wrote: Adidas have been on a serious offensive trying to become the dominant brand once more - see the World Cup Final on Sunday.
Adidas have made Argentina kit for a generation - and obviously German kit since logos were put on football shirts - so the WCup final shows nothing of the sort.
Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

KingHarry wrote:
Stuart X.Hunter wrote: Adidas have been on a serious offensive trying to become the dominant brand once more - see the World Cup Final on Sunday.
Adidas have made Argentina kit for a generation - and obviously German kit since logos were put on football shirts - so the WCup final shows nothing of the sort.
So maintaining the brand isn't being commercially on the front foot?
Having two potential WC 2014 Golden Boot winners in adidas on Sunday doesn't leave the slightest impression on kids who want to be there idols?
What boots will be on the feet of the stars of Sunday show; Ozil, Neuer, Schweinsteiger, Muller, Schuerrle, Kroos, Messi, Lavezzi, Di Maria?

Do you work for M&S Harry?

Anyway...3-2 Germany on Sunday AET
Shoulders back, smash it
KingHarry
Known user

Post by KingHarry »

Stuart X.Hunter wrote:
KingHarry wrote:
So maintaining the brand isn't being commercially on the front foot?
Having two potential WC 2014 Golden Boot winners in adidas on Sunday doesn't leave the slightest impression on kids who want to be there idols?
What boots will be on the feet of the stars of Sunday show; Ozil, Neuer, Schweinsteiger, Muller, Schuerrle, Kroos, Messi, Lavezzi, Di Maria?

Do you work for M&S Harry?

Anyway...3-2 Germany on Sunday AET
Who cares? You'd expect German players to wear Adidas - they always have. It's not like some compelling evidence of Adidas taking over the world that 2 teams that have always worn adidas ... are still wearing adidas.
Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

KingHarry wrote:
Who cares? You'd expect German players to wear Adidas - they always have. It's not like some compelling evidence of Adidas taking over the world that 2 teams that have always worn adidas ... are still wearing adidas.
Never mentioned anything about adidas taking over the world but did state that the MUFC deal would place Adidas in a better position for the public eye...however seen as you've mentioned it and with potentially a seventh of the worlds population tuning into watch part of Sundays final you might be on to something...
Shoulders back, smash it
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

I definately feel that they are overpaying for a club that could be on the wane. Paying $130 million/yr. to represent United ? Even so, they might come up even in sales, but like you mentioned perhaps more of a publicity angle. I don't blame that company from Portland for not renewing on the contract.

Adidas is just trying to reclaim their right in the football market. They are still leaders in it, but sales have slowly eroded a bit, but they have regained their stagger with massive spending on advertising on this year's WC and the battle pack boots are on almost half of the players !

Just ordered the very short titled book, " Sneaker Wars : The Enemy Brothers Who Founded Adidas and Puma and the Family Feud That Forever Changed The Business of Sports. "

My God, Brazil is awful. Just only watched the last 10 minutes of the match. In fact, I never watch the 3rd place match at all. Being outscored 10 goals to 1 in the last two matches is pitiful. Even I couldn't celebrate their loss completely today.

Germany (3) and Argentina (0) tomorrow.

# all in or nothing
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

I celebrated.

If the referees had been kinder to Brasil vs chile/Colombia & actually punished them & held them to account the Brasil would've been spared the humilation they suffered.. Karma seemed to play a role last night - the foul on robben outside the box, offside on the 2nd goal, Oscar denied a pen & booked for it. Tho again fernandinho could've been sent-off..

Good stuff. Germany massive favourites for tonight. If they score early they'll have it handy enough but if Argentina nullify them then the stage is set for God/messi to intervene.. Messi's been one lazy bugger past few games have to wonder if he's fully fit. Hopefully he's been conserving his energy but.. It doesn't look good for Argentina..

On the topic of Adidas - Argentina have the nicest top at the World Cup IMO just a shame their team isn't playing well enough to do it justice.. Could be vintage if they'd play w/a bit more flair..
gonna burn brightly
for a while
Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

A bit predictable last night with Holland never really breaking sweat. Brazil have serious problems; defence that can't defend, midfield like a stud-wall partition and creative players terrified of taking on the ball.

From a personal point it was a chance to for me to completely warm to Liberace Van Gaal.
I was opposed to his appointment feeling that Favre, Bielsa or Ancelotti would be a better fit.
I was concerned about LVG vacation from club football and what appeared to be a "bang...fizzle out" kind of consistency.
However I'm won over especially in how he understands the transition from defence to attack, his rapport with the team and his trust of youth.
I'm more confident in a better showing from my team next season than I was a month ago.
Shoulders back, smash it
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Disappointed for Argentina, they played great and had the best chances. If you get messi and higuain missing those, it ain't your day.
Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

Messi - player of the tournament!!!

There were two or three in his own team alone ahead of him.

Enjoyed the final; perfect goal to win it really.
Shoulders back, smash it
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

Messi in fairness looked hugely embarrassed/uncomfortable/scundered accepting that award - the prestation of such is stupid anyway, typical FIFA crap. Muller was player of the tournament. Or maybe even neurer..

Thought it was a fascinating, high energy game. Best team of the tournament won, tho not necessarily the best team on the night.
Great goal.

Going to miss it. Been good fun. Good thread too.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

Stuart X.Hunter wrote:Messi - player of the tournament!!!

There were two or three in his own team alone ahead of him.

Enjoyed the final; perfect goal to win it really.
Just don't get that descision can only think was because FIFA thought his contribution throughout the tournament got them to the final which is a little derogatory to the rest of his team mates :!:
'Remember, change is not good'
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

All in all a pretty good match and tournament. I would have been just as happy if Argentina had won it too, because Messi deserves it. In this world of high priced athletes, it seems the more money you make, the more arrogance. I still believe he is still humble and modest if you want to compare him to Ronaldo, Ibra and the such, but like every other sport their could be only one winner and one loser. Had a bit of everything : controversy ( Suarez ), upset (7-1 to Germany) and everything inbetween. Spain wasn't really an upset, really. Saw the writing on the wall - players age. Iniesta says that Spain will be back ? I doubt it. Who are the young players that are going to replace the quality of Iniesta, Xavi, Villa, Puyols ? The reign is over.

The new reign is Germany. Players are so young : Mueller (24 yrs.), Ozil/Schurrle (25 yrs.), Goetze (22 yrs.), Marco Reus, Julian Drexler, Christoph Kramer, Toni Kroos, et al. Their built for a small reign. I'll tab them for the EuroCup in 2016 (France), as well I'll also tab them four years from now in Russia. The WC in Russia should be a real exciting location and atmosphere ! Qatar ( another different story ).

Before the start of the new season in the EPL this should be an interesting time : transfer. I'm just curious on who gets whom and what price as new managers pick their players i.e. - van Gaal. How will Liverpool fair without Suarez ? Will Alexis Sanchez make a difference at Arsenal ? Will Madrid target James Rodriguez ( who is eager to make a switch to Real ) ? Many questions and few answers ... yet ?
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Spent Friday - Sunday dancing in a field in West Cork with a bunch of Hippies :D so sky+ the final and watched it on Tuesday. For me that was the best WC final i'd seen in a long time, definitely didn't feel like a 0-0 for 90mins. I'm glad Germany won but i wouldn't have been annoyed if Argentina had been victorious either!

So, best tournament and final in years but it's odd that not one player or team took the thing by the scruff of the neck and had everyone drooling. There were impressive displays alright but nothing out of this world on a consistent basis. Minor complaint though.
Time to enjoy a month of peace before the horrors of the Premiership, and all the stresses that entails, return. :)
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five