World Cup Brasil 2014

For anything else...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, spzretent, MODLAB, NightWash

spacemanrich
Known user

World Cup Brasil 2014

Post by spacemanrich »

I don't know which is considered the 'Group of Death,' the groupings look pretty even to me. I'm assuming the top two move on and it looks difficult for the USA w/ Portugal and Germany in Group G ? Argentina has an easier road in Group F.
jack white
Known user

Re: World Cup Brasil 2014

Post by jack white »

yea the top two move on. the runner-up of group B plays the winner of group A & vice versa all the way down the line. so holland/spain (chile?) vs brasil. will be rooting for europe all the way in that one..

the group of death technically has to be the uruguay/italy/england/costa rica group - three previous world cup winners in the same group. pedigree.

but the real group of death could be the germany one. (maybe the spain one IF they really are done. if they can't turn their possession into goals the group could become a real dogfight.)
obv on current form you'd expect germany to be amongst the favourites to win the tournament but if they're not in the best shape come tournament time they could face some serious problems.

some decidedly terrible groups tho. argentina must be delighted they've got easy passage thru to the quarter finals at least.

was fun tho. have a bit of a buzz about the thing now. wish i was going. it's going to be great. i mean ok a lot of the world cups have been poor enough but still it's a great event.. especially w/the first two rounds of the group stage having so much to watch is the best. really looking forward to it. roll on algeria vs south korea! or japan vs greece, a truly mouthwatering prospect right there..

think england are DOOMED. :D
not quite as doomed as australia tho..
gonna burn brightly
for a while
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Yeah, they did deem Group G as the ' Group of Death ', the Ghanians are big, strong and fast as I remembered them 4 yrs.ago.

I'll take Germany to win the Cup, but I wouldn't be suprised if Espana retained it as well. Argentina will be a suprise contender w/ L.Messi, S.Aguero, C.Tevez, G.Higuain, A.Di Maria, Pastore, Coloccini, Lamela and Lavezzi all with European club experience making an impact. This could be Messi's breakout year or not, seems to be injury riddled this season ?
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

The World Cup is approaching and I think the protests and riots are going to ramp up on the eve and probably during the whole duration of this event. Already in San Paolo a subway strike has hindered transportation there and I don't know if it will be resolved soon ? I think all these protests will overshadow the event ... wait and see.

I don't think that Brazil will do that well. Spain and Germany have been mentioned, but I don't know. I like the dark horse to be Argentina. Next door neighbors that are used to the humid and hot weather and a really good lineup and I think Messi will shine this time around, as well as Aguero. Fantastic players like Angel Di Maria and Gonzalo Higuain can make a difference.
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

jack white wrote: obv on current form you'd expect germany to be amongst the favourites to win the tournament but if they're not in the best shape come tournament time they could face some serious problems.

quoting myself.. smh.. anyway i don't fancy germany at all anymore. they could still pull it together, they're a great tournament team, but they have so many issues & this generation has so many questions hanging over it i can't see them making it happen.

outside of brasil/spain/argentina i quite fancy the looks of italy & france. both coming in under the radar a bit. italy's recent results have been poor enough but they've got real quality in key areas & likewise france who have the added benefit of a nice blend of youth on their ide, their defence could be shambolic tho..

colombia i hope have a decent run. hoping they & japan come out of that group.
very interested to see what shape the dutch are in. if they're on form they could really entertain. if they're not pulling in the same direction they'll implode.

too many wishy washy teams & not enough european countries.

still, getting world cup fever.. looking forward to it.

anyone any bets on?
thinking of sticking a tenner on italy..

all this talk about belguim... would love to see the rug pulled from underneath them.. just out of mindless spite!

england - for once i actually like the look of most of the england squad. think not bringing ashley cole was probably an error. they're not going to win it but again they could entertain - perish the thought! entertainment, under roy hodgson?? but w/the players at his disposal england simply can't perform as dourly as they have their past however many number of tournaments.. can they?!
gonna burn brightly
for a while
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

I much prefer the Euro Cup over the World Cup, the Euro Cup is much smaller tournament and Europe only. Italy always seem to do well at these tourneys as well. We'll see how Balotelli performs ?
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Summed up quite nicely here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlJEt2KU33I
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

wow. way to rain on my parade ;)

but seriously we've known what FIFA has been about for decades now & still haven't reached a tipping point. & it's a shame the re-evaluation of this institution only comes around every 4 years or so & people move onto the next story of the week.
i don't know about American sporting institutions but there are crooks & disreputable people in power over here, not just in soccer. where there's money to be made people will put power & self interest above everything else. there should be more outrage & there should be clinical & just reform but i could be literally talking about a million & one institutions here & not just fifa. life sucks!

the game is still something wonderful. at the end of the day, bad people make the world go round but there's still beauty to be found beneath the muck & the slime. but yea it is shameful conduct the whole organisation & the organising, the resources being used & abused.

& i mean on a personal level it's frightening - i see it & it shames me but i'm very rarely surprised or shocked by it anymore. it's like.. just the way things are, y'know?? sometimes, most of the time, the bad people get away with it. who has the energy or power to deal with any of the corruption.

god, you really did rain on my parade. that clip was meant to be funny?! it totally bummed me out! :lol:
gonna burn brightly
for a while
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

jack white wrote:wow. way to rain on my parade ;)

god, you really did rain on my parade. that clip was meant to be funny?! it totally bummed me out! :lol:
I am not sure how funny it was supposed to be. Sarcastic? Hell yes. People here have no idea how corrupt FIFA are. Most of the country's sports fans hate soccer because for years they were told to hate it by ESPN etc. Now ESPN is fully invested in not only the WC but the Premiership.
Seems like every two years, Euro & WC, more people get into it. I think John Oliver's point was no matter how corrupt FIFA are he cant stop loving the WC.
How do FIFA just walk over host countries like this. Such utter bullshit.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

KingHarry, don't get me wrong I still like the WC, but I really do like the EuroCup better. A lot of WC games scheduled and I already bookmarked which ones that I can't and shouldn't miss (1st round) : Spain v. Netherlands, England v. Italy, Germany v. Portugal, Mexico v. Brazil and Uraguay v. England. Hodgson already mentioned to the english players not to mention " Falkland Islands " in ANY conversation. It is still a major sticking point to the Argentines who still want it back. At the end of their last friendly the Argentine players unhurled this banner, " Las Malvinas son Argentinas " - The Falklands Are Ours. Don't rile Messi or Aguero ! :shock:
Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

Post by Stuart X.Hunter »

What are all your thoughts on how England should line up against Italy?

My thoughts

Hart
Johnson, Cahill, Jagielka, Baines
Milner, Henderson, Gerrard, Rooney
Barkley
Lambert

Firstly Milner is in because Johnson is a diddy.
I think they'll need to be industrious against the Italians therefore the inclusion of Milner, Henderson and Rooney
Barkley in because he offers something the Italians and particularly Pirlo and De Rossi will fear...pace and strength heading towards them...I feel he will draw the odd foul in and around the area and is just a bit brighter and more direct than Rooney is currently in the No. 10 position.
Rooney on the left both to echo Milner work ethic but I feel I'd rather he than Wellbeck if a sniff at goal arises
Lambert up top because he is better with back to goal than Rooney, is a threat from the set pieces that Barkley will win from fouls and corners both Baines and Johnson will win from going forward, he has a very good football brain plus he is someone Chielini might have a problem with whereas I think he'd have Rooney sussed.
In some ways it's disappointing the back 5 has picked itself however they should all have known from the day the selection was made that they'd be playing together and I hope they've got there clean sheet heads on.
The nice thing for me is that the two centre halfs seem to move the ball at a quicker tempo than previous England centre half pairings. I wouldn't say they are comfortable on the ball but they do recognise the need to not slow play down and give the opposition time to set themselves.
I feel this is going to be a very tight match...I think the pragmatism of Hodgson suits this match but I feel if after an hour or so the match is still even he will go for the win using impact players like Sterling and Wiltshere plus if ahead he could adopt further pragmatism and introduce Lampard to stifle the middle of the park.

I'm looking forward too it...

My prediction is 2-0 England with the second goal coming very late

B,
S
Shoulders back, smash it
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

I pulled out Germany in my work sweep stake which I was fairly happy with. I don't think they'll win it but there are cashprizes for 1st, 2nd, 3rd so who knows. The young girl who sits behind me is Brazilian and she's in a very good mood about it all......just don't mention Argentina to her.
I usually get sucked into the World Cup but I can't watch every game but will try to catch all the good looking ones. I'll sit up for a while watching England v Italy on Saturday but if England do what they normally do, ie: bore me to death, then I'll go to bed instead.
Loved watching Ghana in the last world cup. The Suarez handball in that Quarter Final (was it?) was a disgrace, can't believe he was carried around on peoples shoulders after the game. The sight of him jumping for joy in the tunnel when Ghana missed the penalty was grim.
I have a soft spot for Mexico having travelled there for a few months during the 98 finals. Sitting with locals watching tiny TV's in bare bones cafes was a joy.
I'm hoping Spain don't win it again or get anywhere near the final. I know their games is supposed to be a delight to the eyes but they bored me in 2010 with their constant possession and wearing teams down only to win 1-0 at the end of a game. Playing supposed fancy footie should bring more goals, a lot more goals, but they never do.
To get in the mood I've been playing that Soul Jazz Comp, "Tropicalia - A Brazilian Revolution In Sound" a lot. Bloody marvellous stuff on there http://www.souljazzrecords.co.uk/releases/?id=2682
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

great post ^
a few of my friends still hate on saurez over that handball & it still makes me laugh! i think saurez was totally correct in what he did & if he hadn't done it i'd have lost a lot of respect for him! ha!
same w/spain - a lot of my friends find them intolerably boring but i love their wilfulness & idealism. i mean there is more to it than just black & white, there is a fundamental common sense to their approach i.e. they're simply playing to their strengths & the notion that if you have the ball the other team can't score, but they do seem to take it to extremes which i can't help but admire.
Stuart X.Hunter wrote:What are all your thoughts on how England should line up against Italy?

My thoughts

Hart
Johnson, Cahill, Jagielka, Baines
Milner, Henderson, Gerrard, Rooney
Barkley
Lambert

Firstly Milner is in because Johnson is a diddy.
I think they'll need to be industrious against the Italians therefore the inclusion of Milner, Henderson and Rooney
Barkley in because he offers something the Italians and particularly Pirlo and De Rossi will fear...pace and strength heading towards them...I feel he will draw the odd foul in and around the area and is just a bit brighter and more direct than Rooney is currently in the No. 10 position.
Rooney on the left both to echo Milner work ethic but I feel I'd rather he than Wellbeck if a sniff at goal arises
I'm looking forward too it...

My prediction is 2-0 England with the second goal coming very late

B,
S
johnson's form is a problem.

i think italy can expose the naivety/relative inexperience of englands back four.
in mf & upfront i'd prob opt for the liverpool lads, milner & yea prob rooney/lallana. like:
4-2-3-1
henderson/gerrard
milner - sterling/rooney - sterling/lallana
sturridge/rooney

barkley is a good shout but i think his indiscipline on the ball could prove costly. he's a wonderfully gifted footballer but still a little raw & makes the odd poor decision giving the ball away. against italy that could be deadly. maybe in the 2nd half when the italys energy levels are a little lower.. same thing prob applies top sterling but he's a more consistent threat imo.
it's defo set up to be an interesting game - a good indicator of how far england have progressed & maybe how far italy have regressed since the euro's meeting.. i'm expecting a 0-0 tbh! but i wouldn't be surprised if either side sneaks a win..
gonna burn brightly
for a while
Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

Agreed Jack I think offensively there is little difference between Barkley and Sterling perhaps in directness but I just feel that Barkley would be more suited to the No. 10 role.
Had Wilshere been in some kind of form instead of spending more time attracting fouls and subsequently on his knees I'd have went for him. The game against Brazil at Wembley early last year is the last time I felt he was dynamic enough to merit starting inclusion.

I'm just not having Sturridge for this match. He has had an exceptional season for club and I think he was on a par if not better statistically than Suarez but for me he is trying too hard perhaps in an England shirt...he has a selfish streak (many strikers do) but I feel this streak prevents him from seeing better opportunities quicker.
I also don't think the whole fluid forward thing between Wellbeck, Rooney and Sturridge that Hodgson attempted against Honduras will work. This should be left to the Spanish and Argentinians.

I just feel that in this opening match Lambert will tie up Chielini or Bonucci better than Sturridge and allow some wriggle movement for Barkley and Rooney. Plus I believe the match will be won on set plays. For me Sturridge comes into his own against Uruguay. I think psychologically it is a huge opportunity for him to shine greater than Suarez. I like Sturridge determination and belief in himself...this is a player who has moved on from two of the biggest English clubs as he was unerring in his ability to play as main striker. The Uruguay game should be his opportunity to demonstrate this to the world.

Finally back to the diddy. I do hope he is aware or made aware of his limitations. When Espinoza sussed out his one move (coming inside) after six minutes he actually played moderately. He needs to carefully choose his moments to get forward and not when other players are out of position. I used to be extremely frustrated at Manchester United Valencia as he tended to burst forward and then pass square or backwards however he seldom turned possession over. This is something Johnson must be a tune too. Thankfully Milner is probably going to be picked to mitigate any slip ups.

As a Scot...I've been pleased with the diluted expectation for England and this has helped me get behind them :)
Shoulders back, smash it
KingHarry
Known user

Post by KingHarry »

Johnson is completely inept. He's been playing on auto-pilot for a year or more. It's frustrating as he's undoubtedly a talented footballer - but plays like he's stoned. He's not even particularly good going forward anymore.

When you look at the England defence, it's particularly poor. Baines is likeable and ok, but not the greatest going backwards, and Cahill and Jagielka are nothing more than half decent as a pair. But if one of them gets injured you're looking at Jones or Smalling... You have to think they will concede goals against any teams showing much adventure.

Difficult to know how England will do - they could quite easily get no more than a point in the group, but when I did a predictor I had them to top the group.

There's some hope that with Barkley, Sterling, Sturridge, Lallana et al, we may see an adventurous England - but with Hodgson involved it's likely to be pragmatic dull stuff.
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

“You're not Dostoevsky,' said the citizeness

'Well, who knows, who knows,' he replied.

'Dostoevsky's dead,' said the citizeness, but somehow not very confidently.

'I protest!' Behemoth exclaimed hotly. 'Dostoevsky is immortal!”
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

The referee was crap in tonights match, I'm not saying Croatia could have won, but at least give them a fair chance. The 2nd half penalty kick was ridiculous. I've never seen a better flop inside the box than that. I
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Disappointing first game. Croatia impressed me but I wasn't surprised, they have a decent side. Neymar would seriously have been sent off before scoring, and then went on to score another goal from a penalty that shouldn't have been given. Brazil we good value because they controlled good periods of the game, but the way it went leaves a bad taste in such a huge game like that.

Still, we're now underway and hopefully it will be a good world cup. I'd love to get properly behind England but I find so many English players to be incredibly unlikeable, not to mention the manager who has a seriously high opinion of himself. Of course i want them to do well, but I find it hard to get excited about the side. Belgium I would love to do well.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

With 20 min. to go Croatia seemed to be happy containing and looking for a point, yes the penalty was piss poor, barely laid a hand on him, but I would be more annoyed if I was a Croatian about the disallowed equalizing `goal`, keeper lost it and was never in control off the ball at anytime, the Croat laid made about minimal contact, very lucky, still , giving the referee`s magic string was a novel touch, one off Blatter`s ideas??
Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

Refereeing a talking point at world cups...

http://worldreferee.com/site/match.php?refID=650

I think I'll be enjoying reading this "rate the ref" site over the next 4 weeks.

Enjoyable match...not convinced by Brazil...I'd love to see a bullish Ghana take there physical game to them but unlikely the way matches are falling.
Shoulders back, smash it
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Referee was shit. At that time it was a 1-1 draw until that penalty. It took the sails out of Croatia. That Brazilian player is up for the best acting award so far. Ronaldo is one if the worst floppers, let's see how many flops hell get in this tourney.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Best opening game ever IMHO. Sat down to watch it at 8:45, woke up at 4:30am. :D A classic Dad moment........
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

haha nice ^
i imagine there's going to be plenty of that happening this world cup
i caught 40winks around half 6 or so so was fresh enough to make it thru the game
spacemanrich wrote:I've never seen a better flop inside the box than that. I
yea it was pretty great. funny stuff.

i thought it was a decent enough game actually.
brazil aren't much cop. thought croatia's midfield was well on top until the ref & fred contrived to spoil the game. croatia weren't creating anything but then it's hard when jelavic was trying to pretend to be a footballer. mandzukic was a loss.
croatia's keeper was shit but i actually thought neymars first & oscars were decent enough finishes. brazil overall tho are miserly.
hopefully when they get knocked out there'll be a reaction against this sort of style & start bringing thru some more ball playing midfielders again. the inability to maintain possession, even a reluctance to do so, is most unbecoming of a team with such history.
they've got a bit of pace & cunning about them but not much class.
neymar, & maybe oscar on his day, aside, i don't like watching brazil.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

I thought it was pretty dull. The opening 15-20 minutes of the 2nd half was dire with no real pattern to the game at all.

Curious that Neymar got the same punishment as the guy who 'gave away' the penalty. Dreadful decision on both of those but I can't quite see a ref sending off the host nation's star striker in the opening game and not being hounded by the home fans, media and more.

I suspect Brazil will up their game next time - they aren't going to beat decent teams playing like that.

Now hoping for a better spectacle tonight than Spain and the Netherlands put on in the final last time round.

There's been a lot of stuff in the UK about how there seems to be very little 'world cup fever' here and I think it's true. In the last few tournaments loads of cars had flags all over and people got caught up in it. Hardly any of that in 2014 - I know expectations are low but the occasion alone normally gets people worked up.

James T - I'm somewhat baffled by your view of Hodgson. I've never heard him go on about himself as he always comes across as very dignified and down to earth with integrity firmly intact, and that has made me respect him a lot. Do I think he's a brilliant Engaged manager? No, but then I don't know who would be. It's always going to be an impossible job until the infrastructure of coaching and academies changes in England - like it has in Spain, and how it's been for some time in countries like Germany and Italy.
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

I agree it was quite dull. A bad tempered game from what I saw. I have a feeling the ref was told half way through the second half to make sure Brazil won for fear of extra violent protests afterwards.

Re Hodgeson I like the fact he doesn't hide his intelligence, but he doesn't seem that inspiring to me.

Perhaps the fact that no one expects much out of England will reduce the mental pressure on them this time around and allow them to play to their potential. You never know, but I can't say I'm optimistic about the Italy game.
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

The Croatian manager was right, hand the trophy to Brazil if penalties like that are going to be made. I, agree with you Jackwhite I hate watching Brazil play, but that was the only match. I hope the officiating gets better than that ...
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

Hand the cup to Brazil anyway - they have paid enough for it!
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

this brasil team is good. they won the first game without playing well. the goalkeeper for croatia probably should have saved the three goals. don't start moaning about the refs. there are 22-28 players playing for atleast 90 mins. if you end up loosing 'cos a throwin goes the wrong way and subsequently your keeper misskicks the ball into his own net you cannot blame the ref...

olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Woo-Hoo. Mexico-Cameroon, it is likely to be nap time again, but I have lots of fond memories of Cameroon...
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Bit of a controversy in the nat'l goalkeeper for Spain, either Iker Casillas or Diego Lopez. I mentioned this during the CL final against Athletico Madrid. It's time for Casillas to hang up the boots and spend more time with his lovely girlfriend. The fourth and fifth goals conceded were embarrassing. The 4th one where he misplayed the ball and instead of picking it up tried to kick it away, but RvP beat him to it. And the 5th goal where he was reduced to crawling in the box where Robben just went around him. Spain is still a contender with Diego Lopez as the goalkeeper. The goal (header) by RvP in the first half was very nice.
Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

Friday the 13th for Spain...

Holland were powerful, technically sound and when you have those two up front...

Ron Vlaar was magnificent.

B,
S
Shoulders back, smash it
Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

spacemanrich wrote:Bit of a controversy in the nat'l goalkeeper for Spain, either Iker Casillas or Diego Lopez. I mentioned this during the CL final against Athletico Madrid. It's time for Casillas to hang up the boots and spend more time with his lovely girlfriend. The fourth and fifth goals conceded were embarrassing. The 4th one where he misplayed the ball and instead of picking it up tried to kick it away, but RvP beat him to it. And the 5th goal where he was reduced to crawling in the box where Robben just went around him. Spain is still a contender with Diego Lopez as the goalkeeper. The goal (header) by RvP in the first half was very nice.
I think there needs to be closer scrutiny than "the last line of defence". Having only Serio Busquets offering anything like power in the midfield and both centre halfs looking very shaky should be considered first. Also it would appear that Xavi and Iniesta may be incapable of playing with an actual centre forward.

The Chile game will be a huge test...Chile play a high tempo pressing game like the Dutch and I think Spain will also struggle here.

I for one am glad as the over passing style of Spain bores me enormously and a big failing by Del Bosque is not breeding enough new talent over the years.

B,
S
Shoulders back, smash it
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Once I got over my bet on Spain going down the pan, that was brilliant, seeing the Champs demolished in such a ruthless fashion. You just had to sit back and admire it, top marks to the Dutch and Van Haal, quite a few young guys in their team I had never heard of, bloody heard of them now anyway.

That's what the World Cup needed, truly under way now, :)
beaker73
Known user

Post by beaker73 »

What can I say? Just really proud to be Dutch right now :lol:
"I've been drinking all night long, but my hands are steady"
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

I only had one eye on a good chunk of the first half but watched all of the 2nd which was incredible - I've not seen such scintillating football for a long time. The Dutch were absolutely magnificent... Van Persie's headed goal was one of the finest of its kind I think I've ever seen - not just the technique and skill required but the vision that it was even possible. Their hunger never let up even when the game was out of sight and they looked so confident and in total control. Even when Spain got a sitter at the end they snaffled it out. I'll also mention the referee who I thought was fantastic - he dealt with the yellow card incidents effectively but generally allowed the game to flow and wasn't fooled by diving - which then fizzled out, as it does when a referee can gain the respect of the players like this Italian guy did. Nicola Rizzoli - did this year's Champions League final I see.

The sight of the BBC pundits at the end looking stunned yet with grins all over their faces kind of summed it up. I felt the same and was shouting at the TV in delight. At 2-1 Mark Lawrenson said 'I love this stage of a game like this. What do you do now? Either manager?' as things looked so balanced, but that was just before the Dutch exploded into top gear. I didn't mind who won really - have a soft spot for the Dutch having been there so many times but I've been a fan of Spain's football ever since their revolution started. I wonder if there will be a better game in this World Cup? Hope so!
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

That header, so good. Only caught the first half though.

Some serious problems with the officiating in the mexico game, sad to see, but glad they got the result in the end.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Wasn't looking forward to this world cup at all but it's been surprisingly watchable so far. I thought the opening game was the best one in many a year, despite the poor decisions.
Holland/Spain was most enjoyable, not surprised at Spain losing, just the manner of the loss.

Looking forward to (probably) a mind numbingly dull England game tonight.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

I'm also looking forward tonite's match, it may not be as bad ? Kinda surprised by the large margin in last nights match too. The Dutch certainly look good. If they keep that form they can go far in this tourney. Looking forward to see how Germany and Argentina look ...
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

You can't underestimate any side, but if England get a result tonight it all looks very positive from the off. If england have it in their own hands come the costa rica game, you have to fancy them to do it. Tough game tonight though, who knows which Italy will turn up (not to mention super mario).
KingHarry
Known user

Post by KingHarry »

This experiment with Phil Neville just isn't working
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

wrong result last night but I thought they played more like a team than I'd seen in years. lots of free flowing attacking football. they lacked the clinical finish necessary unfortunately and sadly the defensive mistakes cost them.

good game of football though.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

That was an excellent game. 3 superb goals from 2 apparently very good teams. I haven't seen England play a competitive game as well as that for a very long time. They looked really good together. Sterling was superb and showed that playing him from the start was the right idea - his pass to Rooney in the goal build up was tremendous. As was Rooney's cross but he was pretty disappointing I'd say - had a great chance in the 2nd half he normally buries for Man Utd.

I've rarely come away from a defeat feeling so optimistic. Even if it doesn't work out this tournament they showed last night that they can play as a team, and that they can play well - that has to be good for the future. Italy looked excellent too I should say with Pirlo running much of the game in the way people thought he would. Also worth mentioning the spirit in which the game was played - no play acting or cynicism until Stering's yellow card in injury time. Again the way the game was played was partly down to the quality referee who let is flow and got the players to respect him very early on.

Great tournament so far I'd say. Hope it continues...
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Yeah, England looked decent enough last night and probably deserved a draw. I do think they should play Rooney through the middle though to get the most out of him, he's just not going to be as effective stuck out on the wing. Very much looking forward to the Uruguay game now.
I'm enjoying that teams are actually looking for a win in the first game rather than trying to avoid defeat. Most refreshing.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Sterling was fantastic for the most part, but the last 20 minutes he was fucking useless, probably exhausted from the conditions and tempo he played at. The substitutions were all wrong for me. England played well though and we'll have to see what happens in the Uruguay game.
KingHarry
Known user

Post by KingHarry »

James T wrote:Sterling was fantastic for the most part, but the last 20 minutes he was fucking useless, probably exhausted from the conditions and tempo he played at. The substitutions were all wrong for me. England played well though and we'll have to see what happens in the Uruguay game.
Thought a number of them ran out of gas in the last 15 minutes - just at the time they needed to force the game. Sterling was absolutely fantastic - the way he and Sturridge just took players on at every opportunity was so refreshing to see. England games are usually unwatchable but that was a proper football match. It's quite nice watching a game where you are not overly concerned what happens. I'm not really bothered whether England do well, but with so many Liverpool players in the team I'd quite like to see them do well.
Will be interesting to see what happens next - not convinced this is a vintage Italian team, so will be intriguing to see how far they go. Likewise, should England get beaten in either of the next 2 games (decent probability), it will be a shame not to see how they could develop through the tournament.

Baines looked poor, which was unfortunate as difficult to know whether that was just him lacking real class (Cole perhaps a better bet) or whether he was just continuously exposed by the sulking Rooney.
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

England came out attacking and notably Sturridge and Sterling led the charge. Rooney and Welbeck were pretty quiet, albeit the nice pass by Rooney to Sturridge. I didn't think Baines played that poorly myself, certainly was at the right place defensively when Balotelli chipped in that shot over Joe Hart in the second half. The way they played, I see England beating Uraguay with or without Suarez. The Italians played well, but I'm not too sure how far they will go ? I was more impressed with the Dutch and how they manhandled Spain.
Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

Did anyone pick up on the attention paid by the Italians to prevent Gerrard getting on the ball?
I thought Prandelli tactics were so very astute.
Note in the 90mins not one of the England team and worse the coaching staff came up with a means to deal with Candreva and Darmian in the inside to outside right hand side. Sadly this was England eventual downfall.
A smarter manager would have pulled the right winger/forward (the position not the player) and put on an extra holding midfielder. Effectively 4-3-2-1.
Not Hodgson he persisted with 4-2-3-1 which was largely ineffective with Wellbeck and Rooney having to do far too many defensive duties. In addition neither Baines (surprisingly) and Johnson (unsurprisingly) were effective "out balls".
All that aside Sterling and Sturridge were bright enough and I thought Jordan Henderson worked like a man possessed.
Against Uruguay I think they need to drop Rooney if the Ox is fit and Wellbeck. Return to a traditional 4-4-2 with Sterling and the Ox wide and get Ricky Lambert on with Sturridge. They need goals, goals, goals against Uruguay as Costa Rica won't be pushovers.
So keep it simple; get it wide, get the crosses and cut backs in and apply, apply, apply pressure.

B,
S
Shoulders back, smash it
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

i'm not saying this cause I'm a city fan, but I was surprised that Milner wasn't brought on. He's had a brilliant impact for city in some really tough games this season. He changed the game at anfield (which we did end up losing), and in munich he scored one, assisted one, and won a penalty. He had joint most assists for city this season, despite only starting 9 games. I feel he could've made a good impact with 25 minutes to go, and with other players losing energy by the minute.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

James T wrote:i'm not saying this cause I'm a city fan, but I was surprised that Milner wasn't brought on. He's had a brilliant impact for city in some really tough games this season. He changed the game at anfield (which we did end up losing), and in munich he scored one, assisted one, and won a penalty. He had joint most assists for city this season, despite only starting 9 games. I feel he could've made a good impact with 25 minutes to go, and with other players losing energy by the minute.
That was the reaction here when Jack Wilshere was brought on. The view from the locals was to bring on Milner, and use him and Gerrard to block up the space in front of the back four, allowing the full backs to push on and freeing up the front four. Wilshere was poor, Barkley looked good, but had no movement up front as the Italians simply stifled the space for him to work in.

I quite enjoyed this due to he amount of shouting and swearing on the behalf of the locals turning it into a decent night in on the sofa with a few more committed to this match than I and a fridge full of beer. I managed to stay awake to the end of this game :shock: .
Last edited by olan on Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Bringing on Wilshire, Lallana, and Barkley? It just seemed stupid. They're all good players, but they're all giving you the same kind of option. We played really well, but the subs were wasted. Barkley did well and I think it was a good decision, but the other 2 I wouldn't expect to impact the sort of game it had become at that point. I certainly would've thought Lambert and Milner were better options. Lampard can get a goal from nothing, and he would've been a good option maybe, but only for the last 10 minutes cause he's well past it. I'm not sure about that one though.
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Argentina looked good last night and I can see them improving as the tournament continues. Pablo Zabaleta was all over the pitch last night. Germany was very good, as well. I thought Tomas Muller's flop was kinda ridiculous. Seemed liked Pepe only brushed him with his hand, but he went down like a sack of potatoes acting like his jaw was broken.
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

Wow USA quick out of blocks
Was kinda disappointed diskerud wasn't starting but.. Wow. Sweet.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

spacemanrich wrote:Pablo Zabaleta was all over the pitch last night.
Wonderful player, phenomenal work rate and desire.

Thoroughly enjoying seeing the variety of tactical formations...Argentina 3-5-2, Chile being slightly pragmatic with a diamond 4-4-2, The Dutch Engine room in another 3-5-2 and Italy' wonderful lopsided 4-3-2-1 with De Rossi as an advanced sweeper.

I'm anticipating something quite amazing from the hosts tonight; with Hulk out it would make way for Oscar on the right and Ramires introduced into the centre. Expect Gustavo to still hold but the physicality of those two plus Paulinho should boss a midfield the Mexicans will surely flood.
I'm gonna take a punt on 4 or 5-0 for Brazil.

B,
S
Shoulders back, smash it
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

great result for usa. still will be tough to get out of that group..

seem well equipped.
much more likeable attitude-wise this time.
seem to have developed a coherent tactical identity/maturity.
just still lacking that technical sharpness that will prob always separate them from everyone else - clint dempsey being the obvious, wonderful expection - i.e. he's the closest thing use have, or maybe prob will ever have, to a street footballer (even with the naturalisation process).
it's obv not just a charge that can be leveled solely at the usa - there are plenty of teams w/an array of trained professionals but not much in the way of flair players. & should be grateful i suppose for dempsey. if messi or ronaldo or sterling had scored that you'd never hear then end of it & it was worthy of any of them.

conversely i thought ghana had the better ball players but were a bit mess. usa prob deserved their win.
& if they get out of that group they'll surely have brought a lot of entertainment to it doing so.. looking forward to it.
they'll need to improve again tho..
gonna burn brightly
for a while
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Fantastic match tonite between Brasilia and Mexico ! Most valuable player - Ochoa (Mexico's gk). My God, how many saves did he have tonite : 5-6 ??? If it was Iker Casillas he would have conceded four of those. Brazil looks vulnerable. If the bookmakers still have Brazil as favorites, I'd take the wager against that. Nice try Marcelo on the flop in the box. Mexico had some nice shots on goal and they played the Brazilians well.

Stuart X, nice call on the score. It would have been that if it wasn't for the superb play of Ochoa.
KingHarry
Known user

Post by KingHarry »

Brazil are pretty unconvincing. The only enjoyable bits of their games to date has been the national anthem.

Also find them pretty hard to warm to - it's all a bit pedestrian and chelsea. Neymar has a bit of flamboyance about him, but Fred, Hulk and Jo - it's hardly Zico, Eder and Careca. And that's before you get to the trundlers in midfield.
Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

spacemanrich wrote: Stuart X, nice call on the score. It would have been that if it wasn't for the superb play of Ochoa.
Yeah...5-0 and Rhianna to score first @ 60-1 was never going to happen after witnessing the first 5 mins.
I was very impressed with Mexico...the back 3 and the keeper were magnificent.
Like most people I can't warm to Brazil and willed the underdogs to win from the off.
Real lack of urgency from the hosts and surprisingly little off the bench...they should have enough to beat Cameroon but it'll be a step up against either Spain, Holland or Chile in the 2nd round.

Again...I felt this referee was very sensible.

B,
S
Shoulders back, smash it
Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

Fellaini made a great impact player yesterday
:roll:
Shoulders back, smash it
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

if not for the keeper brasil would have won 5/6-0. to knock them due to a 10/10 performance from the keeper- most of the shots hitting or straight at him (though the header save was brilliant) seems very harsh in my book

spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

It is halftime and the Reign of Spain is over. All things must come to an end. I missed the first 15 minutes of the match, but was surprised that Casillas is the gk. He is a liability. Did anyone think that the first goal could have been preventable, he seemed to have lost that aggressiveness ? I, thought he could have gotten to the ball instead of wanting to slide with his legs out, thus leaving him vulnerable and in the ground. All Vargas had to do was take a few steps away from him and kick it in. Very reminiscient of what Arjen Robben did. I liked Spain, too. Players are getting too old ...
KingHarry
Known user

Post by KingHarry »

The Dr wrote:if not for the keeper brasil would have won 5/6-0. to knock them due to a 10/10 performance from the keeper- most of the shots hitting or straight at him (though the header save was brilliant) seems very harsh in my book
That's not the case at all, I think Brazil managed to fashion 2 decent opportunities all game, one from a cross the other from a set piece, one prompted a good sprawling save, the other just hit the keeper.

I thought Mexico looked more likely than Brazil for much of the game. They just don't look very good - doesn't help having some journeyman lump as a centre forward who looks tired out after singing the national anthem. Hulk is another static (fat) forward. There's no real zip to them at all.
Brazil have depended on much of their penetration from full backs for years, but Alves is past his best and the other tart, although pretty useful, decided to dive when in on goal last night whilst staring at the ref. Bizarre behaviour.

Don't know whether Fernandinho is in the squad, but he'd improve on any of the midfielders they are playing at the moment.

Teams often grow into the tournament so you never know, but they look surprisingly toothless.
Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

KingHarry wrote:
The Dr wrote:if not for the keeper brasil would have won 5/6-0. to knock them due to a 10/10 performance from the keeper- most of the shots hitting or straight at him (though the header save was brilliant) seems very harsh in my book
That's not the case at all, I think Brazil managed to fashion 2 decent opportunities all game, one from a cross the other from a set piece, one prompted a good sprawling save, the other just hit the keeper.

I thought Mexico looked more likely than Brazil for much of the game. They just don't look very good - doesn't help having some journeyman lump as a centre forward who looks tired out after singing the national anthem. Hulk is another static (fat) forward. There's no real zip to them at all.
Brazil have depended on much of their penetration from full backs for years, but Alves is past his best and the other tart, although pretty useful, decided to dive when in on goal last night whilst staring at the ref. Bizarre behaviour.

Don't know whether Fernandinho is in the squad, but he'd improve on any of the midfielders they are playing at the moment.

Teams often grow into the tournament so you never know, but they look surprisingly toothless.
Well said. This is exactly why they are not purveyors of O JOGO BONITO!

A massive oversight for me is the non inclusion of Luis Fabiano.
I think he's the most prolific currently active centre forward Brazil have.
Huge reliance on one man and a couple of full backs.
There bench is rotten also; no Damiao, Moura, Ganso
They'll have there work cut out against Chile or Holland
Shoulders back, smash it
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Fernandinho is on the bench, I'd certainly play him ahead of paulinho and guatavo.

Who was it who was saying city should sign casillas cause he's better than hart? Not hard to see why he's been restricted to cup games for the past seasons.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

KingHarry wrote:

Hey check this out, I agree with all that. Although, alves is still really dangerous on his day.
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

it is essentially the same brasil team which have been together for the last few years, winning the confeds cup along the way- dismantalling spain in the final.

whilst europe said 'no kaka? no ganso? no fabiano?' etc in brasil it is no surprise the squad. the others have come in and failed to perform. ganso has been on a downward tragectory for the last year or so. i would like to see hernanes involved more. this is a good brasil squad but think of the pressure.

before the 1950 final the president hailed them onto the the pitch as the champions and since that game every member of the squad has had death threats and hate mail thrown at them, even now they get introduced as 'x, the man who lost the world cup'. they can never forget that day, they say it is the day brasil failed as a culture, as a nation, not just football. considering all of the pressure and how brasil are usually slow starters i think they are doing well. 4 points from two games. wouldn't any other team love that? the mighty spain are gone, holland should have lost to austrilia but won from two aussie errors. i still think brasil can win it.

incidently i'm supporting brasil and germany this year.