World Cup Brasil 2014

For anything else...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, spzretent, MODLAB, NightWash

runcible
Site Admin

Re: World Cup Brasil 2014

Post by runcible »

jack white wrote:well i for one am firmly in robbens corner - & wish there were more like him.
Can't disagree more. The talent is without question - he's an amazing footballer. But he is a cheat. He was a total arse at Chelsea and he's been the same for Bayern and Holland too. That ridiculous toothy grimace he brings out when he dives is just ridiculous. A lot of the time he doesn't get the free kicks he might deserve because he cheats so much. A simple example of the boy who cried wolf. Sadly many officials are fooled by his ballet dramatics. If he cut out the flopping about I'd be a huge fan but I find blatant cheating hard to get past.

It doesn't have to be like this. I don't recall Pele falling about like Robben does, and Messi doesn't either, and both were/are massively superior footballers. So it isn't essential to cheat. Depressingly cheating seems to be the way so many players view the game nowadays.
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

if you are kicked and don't fall over it is rarely given. i don't like robben but there was contact and he was impeeded from a goal scoring opportunity but if he hadn't fallen over it would not have been given. it was a penalty but he is still a douche bag
“You're not Dostoevsky,' said the citizeness

'Well, who knows, who knows,' he replied.

'Dostoevsky's dead,' said the citizeness, but somehow not very confidently.

'I protest!' Behemoth exclaimed hotly. 'Dostoevsky is immortal!”
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

o btw luis s says he bit the guy, i for one, am shocked. i thought he fell over then had an odd pain in his teeth...

jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

runcible wrote: It doesn't have to be like this. I don't recall Pele falling about like Robben does, and Messi doesn't either, and both were/are massively superior footballers. So it isn't essential to cheat. Depressingly cheating seems to be the way so many players view the game nowadays.
that is all very true.
i should've made the distinction between talent & character when i said i wish there were more like robben.

however.. the diving just doesn't rile me as much as it does a lot of people. i do think there are too many variables to what constitutes diving & the reasons for diving, & also other more serious cheating offences, that i'm willing to take the rough w/the smooth in terms of robbens on field conduct.

& it's not like the great players don't have their own character defects - whether they manifest on the pitch (such as zidane's temper) or away from the pitch (messi's tax dodging??).

but yea at the end of the day, at the end of all the arguing, you're still correct.
it's a shame it overshadows robbens talents & his endeavour in that mexico game. it would be a whole lot simpler too.

thanks for cleaning up the thread btw

as for today - well this could be the end of the USA's world cup.. Belgium haven't been performing too well but getting results nonetheless & are a dangerous team.
despite getting the proper result against germany i didn't think the USA were particularly impressive, especially going forward.
it's weird tho. 6 months ago i'd have imagined i'd be supporting belgium (& europe) but i like this USA team (& really don't like the hipsters choice belgium!) so i'll be rooting for america.
hopefully yer guy diskerud gets a run out. i'd rather see him than zusi/brad davis.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Geez bringing up Messi's tax dodging. You try and sort out his taxes ? He's Argentinian citizen being employed in Spain and so I'm pretty sure he pays taxes in both countries along with numerous endorsements. His father handles that part and may/may not have done it purposely ? He is not only one of the best footballers in the world, but as well a decent bloke if you compare home to arrogant Ronaldo, Ibra and the list goes on ... Also, as Runcie mentioned he doesn't flop. I'll give it to Robben for admitting flopping, but nothing more. FIFA should pay attention to him more now as he has changed the outcome of games with this b.s. At least the German match was well refereed ...
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

this was not as publicaly announced but messi has had all charges dropped against him

spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

You are forgetting the fact that was the thrid time he was fouled in the box in that game and the first time it was called.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

spacemanrich wrote:Geez bringing up Messi's tax dodging. You try and sort out his taxes ? He's Argentinian citizen being employed in Spain and so I'm pretty sure he pays taxes in both countries along with numerous endorsements. His father handles that part and may/may not have done it purposely ? He is not only one of the best footballers in the world, but as well a decent bloke if you compare home to arrogant Ronaldo, Ibra and the list goes on ... .
aparently many players are leaving barce as there is an ego class with messi, he is starting to get a little too big for his boots, but when you have his tallent, fair enough

spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Spzretnt you made a valid point. The refereeing should be CONSISTENT. If Robben was fouled numerous times in the first half then perhaps a yellow should have been given in the first half, but to finally give someone a penalty in stoppage time for basically a questionable call. He wasn't tackled, but rather both of the players were trying to get the ball and he 'tripped.'. There is going to a bit rough play in the box and the defenders are trying to pry the ball away and sometimes those are the hardest to determine. But basic flopping is just pathetic.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

spzretent wrote:You are forgetting the fact that was the thrid time he was fouled in the box in that game and the first time it was called.
So he had to resort to cheating? Not buying that! Robben's reputation means many referees are dubious about awarding a penalty, particularly when the guy has to do his toothy grimace and arch his back every time he's fouled/not fouled. If he doesn't get more free kicks it's his own fault as his history of diving goes back many, many years.
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

Worst game of the tournament so far this Switzerland/Argentina game.

Not surprised from the Swiss, they've done commendably well running around. Argentina have been terrible, it looks like they just aren't working hard enough. They're so slow, plodding. Maybe even nervous & lacking ideas. Terrible match. Wish they could both lose.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

Zusi is really poor. Belgium have had two great chances off him so far.. Should've brought you-know-who 'cause if Zusi is a liability defensively & offers nothing going forward then what's the point..?? Serious weakness atm.
USA up against it here, Belgium playing well USA/Bradley very poor in possession so far.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

Heartbreak.

Perfect timing to bring in lukaku. Strength in depth that.

Wondo - what a wally. Even altidore would've scored that one. Let off the hook by linesman but still.
Michael Bradley would be a credit to any midfield in this wc. He's a serious operator, his time in Rome served him well.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

Great game.

There was a headline in a French paper following the Argentina/England game in 98 that just read, Thank You. I think that's fitting for that match. That was terrific, a joy to watch.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Think that could be game of the tournament so far... superb game from start to finish and i'm gutted USA were eventually knocked out as they deserved to win based on the work rate and never-give-up attitude! Tim Howard had a great game...
beaker73
Known user

Post by beaker73 »

Belgium won well deserved. Could have been 8-2 if any of the teams would have found the goal more. Belgium dominated throughout the the match, US hardly got their foot in, but gave it their best.
"I've been drinking all night long, but my hands are steady"
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

[quote="runcible"]
So he had to resort to cheating? quote]

I guess so. It worked. That is why Football/s\Soccer is a blip on the radar screen of sports fans here in the US.
Todays game may have converted a few more.
Tim Howard was sensational. He had to be.
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

Not just best game of this wc, one of best games I've seen in a long time, maybe ever. The extra time was amazing. I was just about ready to go to bed when Belgium went 2 up.. Now I can't get to sleep!

Benteke is a big loss. Origi is still very raw. Same w/lukaku.
Argentina will find it tough against Belgium not sure they'll be able to raise their game sufficiently..
gonna burn brightly
for a while
beaker73
Known user

Post by beaker73 »

Argentina is really only messi with a couple of other dudes. Sure, if he picks up his game, they can defeat Belgium, but if he plays like he did today, I think Belgium has got a real good chance of winning.
So that would be Hol v Bel in the semi's :D
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Incredible game, really hope Belgium can progress further, an exciting side with a lot of talent. Maybe this world cup is just too soon for them, but the next Euros could be theirs for sure.

It's been reported in the Liverpool Echo now that Liverpool are meeting with Barcelona over Suarez in London, so I guess that looks pretty much set to happen; you don't get the local press publishing nonsense normally when it comes to their teams. I've read they're after Balotelli? Can't see that working out, he's great but Liverpool will need someone to (try to) carry them like Suarez if they want to (try to) replace him, and Balotelli certainly isn't a guy for that. Then again, Balotelli gets linked with everyone, he has a tricky agent like that.
Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

Post by Stuart X.Hunter »

So predictions for the QF's?

I'm a bit saddened that since I've been in Spain, Chile were knocked out as I love watching them.
Colombia and Costa Rica (who limped over the line in the last match) are perhaps the only two wild cards.
I've still not warmed to Brazil and since the Dutch' mauling of Spain I've felt they along with Belgium, Argentina have bored me. Perhaps that's tournament football.

So I'm getting behind Colombia who in Cuadrado and James have some excitement about them and in Ospina and Yepes some concentration. Perhaps not enough to overcome Brazil but maybe...
I enjoyed watching the French in there opening few games; Giroud is useless in my eyes but Valbuena and the threesome of Cabaye, Pogba and in particular Matuidi have been exciting.
However I've a feeling that Klose will get too 16 in this match.
Could the Argentina v Belgium game finally light the blue touch paper for both these teams who have been very pragmatic or like watching paint drying. We'll see.
Netherlands Costa Rica is surely the end for the plucky minnows? I'd watch closely to see if LVG brings Martins Indi back in freeing up Blind to maraud down the left. Problem is Martins Indi is gash and Joel Campbell could expose him...particularly from wide positions.

B,
S
Shoulders back, smash it
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

rooting for colombia/france but have a bad feeling it'll be brasil/germany.
not so much germany the problem as brasil. they're more like the anti-brasil!
i love muller & schweinsteiger but can't really warm to the rest of them. neurer was amazing last day tho.

yea i think costa rica have come to the end of their journey. prob fortunate to come up against a greece side devoid of ideas. maybe they'll conjure some energy from somewheres but the form holland are in i expect costa rica's dominance of europe to finally end.

in terms of form you have to fancy belgium over argentina. i dunno tho, i'd like to see messi do it. he's been sensational this world cup. if he can drag those chumps he calls teammates past this belgium side it'll likely have to be amazing so i'm kinda rooting for that. but yea, if it wasn't a wc qf & just a run-of-the-mill game you'd expect belgium to swat them aside..

tbh tho i kinda like all the teams that are left to various degrees except brasil. neymar's the only one worth watching.
ideally it'll be a colombia/belgium final..
gonna burn brightly
for a while
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

when the competition started my teams were germany (i love their philosophy of football from grassroots to international) and brasil (i mean, it's brasil). germany had 3 1pm games in the blistering heat and are looking a tad exhausted however i think that with their two plans, the beautiful movement of the front three or throw on klose, who by now must be regarded as a true legened of the game, they can still go on and win it. brasil are yet to find a second gear and seeing fred cry as he missed a penalty makes you realsie the depth of emotions that go into every moment and must really be sapping them but with the likes of oscar yet to come to the party, fred scoring even if he doesn't move much (he said in an interview- i've been criticised for not dropping back but my job is to score and if i touch the ball twice and score twice i have done my job) and neymar who is living up to the hype i think that they can go on. a brasil germany final was my prediction 4 years ago so i'm going for that as the semi with argentina. i really hope the dutch get knocked out. since the last final and the assult on spain i've really lost any affection for them, though don't say this too loudly or robben may fall over!

The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

again with argentina. the so called 'chumps' are great players (gago, aguero, lavetzzi etc) although only di maria and messi have come to the party so far, as with brasil, they will click soon and then we'll see the real deal

spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Brazil looks mediocre at best and I like Columbia's chances against them.

I'll take Germany over France. France is 'okay' and was fortunate in a very favorable group (Swiss, Ecuador, Honduras) and they beat Nigeria.

I want Argentina who still remains a little lacklustre, but I can see Belgium pulling one out, especially with their performance the other night ?

I don't like the Dutch, but they'll probably beat Costa Rica.

Germany vs. Brazil/Columbia
Holland vs. Argentina/Belgium

I don't know, I think I like a Germany vs. Argentina Final ?
Germany winning it all !
Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

And it appears Uruguay will contest Suarez ban...

Perhaps the hand of Barca will help here again...
Shoulders back, smash it
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

The Dr wrote:again with argentina. the so called 'chumps' are great players (gago, aguero, lavetzzi etc) although only di maria and messi have come to the party so far, as with brasil, they will click soon and then we'll see the real deal
nah they're chumps. i had higuain for top scorer at this world cup! smh..
gago's no redondo. kun's rookied, been injured all season. lavezzi i like but i think they'd should've brought tevez..

time's running out for them to click. it's nigh on impossible to just turn it on & neither side have really shown any signs they're about to.
their gameplans are both so limited. argentina obv have a bit more variety but they still stutter & rely on moments.
brazil are awful.

i'm going:

colombia
germany
holland
belgium

if colombia don't blow it - & if messi doesn't win it by himself.

the final will be germany/holland (tho i wouldnt be surprised to see belgium beat holland, that would be an amazing game).

germany, imo, are by far the best team left. they're been together longer than the rest, more developed as a team. i'd worry about their high line tho. it's a funny sight seeing mertesacker trying to get up to speed to catch a ball played in behind him, while boateng continues to make poor decisions - hummels' return will be a big plus if he's fully fit.
i like france but it's true they've been flattered by an easy group & that infamous win over ukraine. they're not ready to compete at the level of germany just yet - unless this flu/bug has really impacted the germans badly.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Those players that were left off were not team players and could ruin the whole chemistry i.e. Tevez and Nasri. Tevez led the scoring in Series A for Juventus, but no one has forgotten his stunt at City for not coming out in the pitch for a match. As for Nasri he has made it quite clear that he doesn't like to be substituted in for a match, he'd rather start ! I think Nasri was also part of that contingent four years ago in S. Africa that refused to get off the bus and creating a mutiny against the coach. The Ghana squad imploded this year as well.
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

plus tevez said he was better than messi and argentina should play just for him :!:

spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Great save by Neuer towards the end ! I like it when Low shows no emotion with the win knowing that the goal has not been achieved yet ...

Brazil's defense is so porous, James Rodriguez will run thru that.
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

Dire game that, most of it spent camped in the shadowed part of the pitch. Never really got going.
Comfortable enough for Germany. France carried no real coherent threat. Germany prob should've won by more.

C'mon Colombia!
gonna burn brightly
for a while
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

spacemanrich wrote:
Brazil's defense is so porous, James Rodriguez will run thru that.
They will kick lumps out of him. Anti-Brasil will try & bully Colombia. Hopefully Rodriguez & co keep their cool & play their football.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
KingHarry
Known user

Post by KingHarry »

Stuart X.Hunter wrote:And it appears Uruguay will contest Suarez ban...

Perhaps the hand of Barca will help here again...
No doubt.

You can guarantee that he won't be serving any ban once he ends up at the Nou Camp. Uruguay will appeal - he will have the International ban halved and the domestic one magically quashed.

Whatever happened to Barcelona's transfer embargo?

What a completely shit game France / Germany was. First time I've really watched Pogba play - looked more Carlton Palmer than a £60m titan.
Real shame that the South American teams seem to have all been paired up against each other.
KingHarry
Known user

Post by KingHarry »

That point about Germany playing most of their games in the midday sun is a good one.

May cause them real issues.

The 94 final was a horror show - the result of 2 teams drained by tropical temperatures. You'd have to fancy that Germany will run out of gas soon (if they haven't already)
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

It was hotter in Detroit for the WC matches in 1994 than it was in LA/Pasadena.
The 94 Final was two teams afraid of losing. My opinion of course.
I saw Brazil play three times that WC and they were great twice vs Sweden. Not so much agianst italy.
It was not THAT hot at the Rose Bowl for the semi or final game.
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

Balls.

This match has already put me in stinking form. There is no way Brasil are going to lose w/this referee. Already Rodriguez had been singled out by Oscar then fernandinho & no yellow forthcoming.
Shit should've been 2. Thankfully hulk's rubbish..
gonna burn brightly
for a while
KingHarry
Known user

Post by KingHarry »

spzretent wrote:It was hotter in Detroit for the WC matches in 1994 than it was in LA/Pasadena.
The 94 Final was two teams afraid of losing. My opinion of course.
I saw Brazil play three times that WC and they were great twice vs Sweden. Not so much agianst italy.
It was not THAT hot at the Rose Bowl for the semi or final game.
I was referring to the games leading up to the final really - that Italy were drained before they got to the Rose Bowl having played (I think) in NY and also Florida? I'm pretty sure they were in the group with Mexico and Ireland - and they played group games in Florida (where basically the Lilly-skinned irish melted against the Mexicans). I'm pretty sure the only player that turned up for Italy in the final was Baresi - and that was due to him missing games in the knock-outs so was fresher (still missed his penalty mind).

I was travelling that year - we were in Vancouver when it started, drove down to Stanford to watch the Cameron - Russia game. 1-6, Oleg Salenko scoring 5 and winning the golden boot (and a move to Ibrox) in one game.
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

this is fucking bullshit. fuck brasil, big phil scolari & this referee.
KingHarry wrote:
Whatever happened to Barcelona's transfer embargo?

What a completely shit game France / Germany was. First time I've really watched Pogba play - looked more Carlton Palmer than a £60m titan.
Real shame that the South American teams seem to have all been paired up against each other.
south america is already over represented at this world cup.

barca's transfer embargo was suspended on appeal but will be reinstated. but yea like they were saying, a footballer banned from playing transfers to a club banned from buying. bullshit.

bit harsh on carlton palmer that!
i'm a big admirer of pogba but yea he was quiet today - i thought he & kroos had a fascinating game, p much marked each other out of the game. it was the only thing of interest really happening in that match.
i've watched pogba a lot for juve this term & he is a breathtaking talent. still inconsistent, still young, but a hugely prodigious talent - great physique but also wonderful skill on the ball, inventive & with great vision. he's a super footballer.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
KingHarry
Known user

Post by KingHarry »

Lovely subtle stuff from Fernandinho here.

Kick the shit out of their number 10.
KingHarry
Known user

Post by KingHarry »

jack white - re Pogba, as I say, I've not really seen much of him other than the £60m mooted fee. He's definitely got the physique, looks a latter day Viera - but you'd hope he'd take a game like that on, still young though.
France terribly disappointing in that game though.

Hulk's a funny player. What a massive arse he's got. He actually looks a handful tonight.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

KingHarry wrote:
I was referring to the games leading up to the final really - that Italy were drained before they got to the Rose Bowl having played (I think) in NY and also Florida? I'm pretty sure they were in the group with Mexico and Ireland - and they played group games in Florida (where basically the Lilly-skinned irish melted against the Mexicans). I'm pretty sure the only player that turned up for Italy in the final was Baresi - and that was due to him missing games in the knock-outs so was fresher (still missed his penalty mind).

I was travelling that year - we were in Vancouver when it started, drove down to Stanford to watch the Cameron - Russia game. 1-6, Oleg Salenko scoring 5 and winning the golden boot (and a move to Ibrox) in one game.
I think what was perhaps worse for Italy was having to fly clear across the country after beating Ireland. Brazil definitely had an advantage there. Not to mention they are more accustomed to the heat.
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

JackWhite, your right, they bullied or f*cking as hard as they could to maim James Rodriguez, including trying to knee him in the thigh. I thought referring was okay, nothing that turned the match upside down like the Mexico/Holland. #6, I think Sanchez for Columbia was shite during the corner kick. He just stood there watching the play progress while T.Silva slipped behind him for that easy goal, as if he had cement boots on. Can't complain against the D.Luiz shot, it was a rocket.

Felt gutted with James Rodriguez while he cried on the pitch after the match.

I just recently read that James Rodriguez asked his Monaco manager to miss the remaining (2) french matches so that he could train for the World Cup. He had two practices a day and worked with a physical trainer for his preparation. Several years ago, he was turned down by Alec Ferguson for 5 million pounds. He'll be someone to watch for in the near future ...

France was never surprising. They had the " Group of Easy " and taking care of Nigeria in the Round of 16 was no big deal.

Still, I feel underwhelmed by Brazil. The Germans will take care of them next Tuesday.
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

Neymar out of World Cup :(
gonna burn brightly
for a while
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

spzretent wrote: I think what was perhaps worse for Italy was having to fly clear across the country after beating Ireland.
Ah now, you can't go changing the record books on us :wink: Ireland won 1-0 in Giants Stadium N.Y., thanks to a Ray Houghton goal and a legendary Paul McGrath performance.
I'm one of those confused, second-generation Irish types and this was the first time I ever felt part of the whole 'Ireland' thing. Probably because I was in London at the time!
Italia 90, although memorable, just didn't resonate with me the same way it did with the rest of the country. Still too much English pull in me at that stage.

Anyways....Back to the present....Brazil can fuck right off after that performance. Might as well have been watching the Wimbledon team of the 80s/90s.
I've a feeling this tournament is just going to peter out into complete boredom. The Last 16 games had drama but for a long time they weren't great spectacles. Quarters have been poor so far. With the teams left you'd expect some classic semis and final, but I don't think we're going to get them.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

My bad. Italy beat Bulgaria then had to fly from NYC to LA.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

sunray wrote:
spzretent wrote: I think what was perhaps worse for Italy was having to fly clear across the country after beating Ireland.
Ah now, you can't go changing the record books on us :wink: Ireland won 1-0 in Giants Stadium N.Y., thanks to a Ray Houghton goal and a legendary Paul McGrath performance.
I'm one of those confused, second-generation Irish types and this was the first time I ever felt part of the whole 'Ireland' thing. Probably because I was in London at the time!
Italia 90, although memorable, just didn't resonate with me the same way it did with the rest of the country. Still too much English pull in me at that stage.

Anyways....Back to the present....Brazil can fuck right off after that performance. Might as well have been watching the Wimbledon team of the 80s/90s.
I've a feeling this tournament is just going to peter out into complete boredom. The Last 16 games had drama but for a long time they weren't great spectacles. Quarters have been poor so far. With the teams left you'd expect some classic semis and final, but I don't think we're going to get them.
Was going to mention that , I had a correct score forecast on that game, I remember it well, it doesn`t happen very often.

The referee last night was hopeless, did he leave his cards in the changing room? Brazil took turns kicking James Rodriguez round the park, Fernandinho being particularly bad, should have been off, although the Columbians weren`t innocent either. Have the referee`s been instructed on leniency? certainly looks that way, if it was a Champions League tie, cards would have been flashed left right and centre, Neymar`s injury certainly wasn`t part of Brazil`s plan, with Tiago Silva suspended, they`ll be up against it playing Germany, maybe FIFA will provide them with a favourable ref.

The other tie was a pretty dismal affair, Germany happy with their 1-0 lead, then strangle the life out of the game and France who never showed up at all, the whole thing wasn`t helped by the Pearce/Lawrenson commentary team, Lawrenson really should just f#ck off back home, he give`s the impression attending a WC/QF tie is a chore, dull, snide and negative comments all the way through and very little insight, the BBC Sports really should get their collective arses kicked if he`s the best they can come up with, a wrinkly old atmosphere hoover.
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

the ref's have been consistant. the amount of times that neymar or messi have been booted and the players haven't been given cards. this is the best w/c i can remember for a while, partly due to the ref's letting the games flow. as for diving- if you go in on a player in the area you run the risk, it is, unfortunatly part of the modern game.

i'm surprised by the seemingly anti-brasil feeling on this site. they haven't been great but they've got to the semis. maybe the refs have a small hometeam bias but i don't remember anyone profaning about it when south korea beat italy...

as for saying players are good or bad, what is this based on? simply the world cup? so is the whole england squad useless? are the german reserve team (usa) only made of people who can run around? and spain? pah! crappest team ever!

if you watch, for example, the argentina squad or brasil squad in previous internationals and in club games you would know how good the players are. is this merely a 'i watch football once every four years so this player is no good' or 'the premiership is the only league that matters' bias? if you follow the world game you would know how, for example, gago is instrumental in the kun/messi partnership which is ratted as the best in the world, and you would see how the german team play like bayern with the same philosophy of football, how spain have been running on empty for the last few years. you would even be less surprised about costa rica as they have grown in statue in concaf over the last few years and colombia have been on the edge being the next s.american team to win the w/c...

The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

Scolari, with a typical verbal flourish, announced Neymar had been "hunted" - although plenty could assert with some justification that Brazil had employed similar methods to subdue Colombia forward James Rodriguez.

He complained: "Not even a yellow card. Nothing. People think Germany, these or the others, only they are hunted but not Neymar."

It was somehow an almost inevitable result of an extraordinarily lenient display by referee Carlos Velasco Carballo, whose refusal to exert his authority on a game that contained more fouls than any other at this World Cup, 54, occasionally threatened a free-for-all and encouraged defenders to take such licence.

spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Intentional participation by Brazil to maim James Rodriguez, take out one of their best players to give them an edge. Karma, baby ! No Neymar and T. Silva next match. I like for them to play dirty against the Germans. We'll see about the refereeing : Germans get carded and the Brazilians a warning for the same foul ...

In about 1/2 an hour, the Argentina vs Belgium should be good !
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Good match, Higuain showed up tonight.
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

The Dr wrote: i'm surprised by the seemingly anti-brasil feeling on this site. they haven't been great but they've got to the semis. maybe the refs have a small hometeam bias but i don't remember anyone profaning about it when south korea beat italy...

as for saying players are good or bad, what is this based on? simply the world cup? so is the whole england squad useless? are the german reserve team (usa) only made of people who can run around? and spain? pah! crappest team ever!

if you watch, for example, the argentina squad or brasil squad in previous internationals and in club games you would know how good the players are. is this merely a 'i watch football once every four years so this player is no good' or 'the premiership is the only league that matters' bias? if you follow the world game you would know how, for example, gago is instrumental in the kun/messi partnership which is ratted as the best in the world, and you would see how the german team play like bayern with the same philosophy of football, how spain have been running on empty for the last few years. you would even be less surprised about costa rica as they have grown in statue in concaf over the last few years and colombia have been on the edge being the next s.american team to win the w/c...
do you actually watch the football, or just repost stuff you've read elsewhere?

gago instrumental? is this why he didn't start the first game? or todays match? he's a glorified journeyman. his one quality being he's the only half decent ball playing midfielder argentina have - but still they opted to go w/the destroyer/enforcer combo today.

i'd bet on colombia to win the thing before the tournament. my only bet that has come up was chile to beat spain - which, again i placed before the tournament started. (i have argentina to win but it's on a double w/higuain as top scorer :( )

as further into your confusing post - how come it's ok for brasil to get to the semi's on merit yet s. korea benefitted from the refees? & yes, there was outrage in 2002 over the favouritism shown to the hosts.
anyone watching last night, or even listening, would've have noted the horrible play of brasil - any time they got the ball in possession they just hoofed it clear back up the pitch instead of constructively building from the back. that was when they weren't hoofing colombia's players. & it's a trait shared w/all big phil's teams thru the ages. that's why people don't like them, because they play hoorible football based on physicality rather than skill.

superb performance from argentina there. higuain & mascherano - & demichelis were brilliant.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
KingHarry
Known user

Post by KingHarry »

jack white wrote:
The Dr wrote: i'm surprised by the seemingly anti-brasil feeling on this site. they haven't been great but they've got to the semis. maybe the refs have a small hometeam bias but i don't remember anyone profaning about it when south korea beat italy...

do you actually watch the football, or just repost stuff you've read elsewhere?

gago instrumental? is this why he didn't start the first game? or todays match? he's a glorified journeyman. his one quality being he's the only half decent ball playing midfielder argentina have - but still they opted to go w/the destroyer/enforcer combo today.

i'd bet on colombia to win the thing before the tournament. my only bet that has come up was chile to beat spain - which, again i placed before the tournament started. (i have argentina to win but it's on a double w/higuain as top scorer :( )

as further into your confusing post - how come it's ok for brasil to get to the semi's on merit yet s. korea benefitted from the refees? & yes, there was outrage in 2002 over the favouritism shown to the hosts.
anyone watching last night, or even listening, would've have noted the horrible play of brasil - any time they got the ball in possession they just hoofed it clear back up the pitch instead of constructively building from the back. that was when they weren't hoofing colombia's players. & it's a trait shared w/all big phil's teams thru the ages. that's why people don't like them, because they play hoorible football based on physicality rather than skill.

superb performance from argentina there. higuain & mascherano - & demichelis were brilliant.
Gago was so ineffective and pathetic during his stint at Madrid that he was nicknamed Lady Gago. Quite amusing. He featured in the Madrid team that Rafa's Liverpool dispatched 1-0 / 4-0 in the European Cup.
No idea how I'd know this shit though - I only watch football once every 4 years and base any opinions on the WCup. Dr - post more stuff and educate us.
Last edited by KingHarry on Sun Jul 06, 2014 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KingHarry
Known user

Post by KingHarry »

niamhm wrote:the whole thing wasn`t helped by the Pearce/Lawrenson commentary team, Lawrenson really should just f#ck off back home, he give`s the impression attending a WC/QF tie is a chore, dull, snide and negative comments all the way through and very little insight, the BBC Sports really should get their collective arses kicked if he`s the best they can come up with, a wrinkly old atmosphere hoover.
He's a wretched excuse of a man.

I've said it before - he appears to feel that life is one continuing curse, the indignity of being sent to Rio for a month, with your mates, to watch football, get paid a fortune.

One of the recent games, Pearce made a remark about Belo Horizonte's "antiquated charm" - Lawrenson countered immediately with "that's one way of describing it" in his typical cynical miserablist tone. So there he is, sat in the sun, all expenses paid, a guest of Brasil, telling us that Belo Horizonte is a shit hole.

Wish we could expunge him from LFC's history the massive bellend.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Really interesting that FIFA appear to be opening an investigation into that challenge on Neymar, but the regular bootings/assaults handed out by the Brazilian midfield seem OK. I actually turned it off before the end as it was winding me up.

Am off to Spain on Monday, where we have gone for a decade as an extended family (huge herd of sisters, partners, kids etc, sadly all the Grandparents are lost to us now). My local is run by Argentinians, so I expect everything to be quiet, civilized and not a mention of the football to be heard...... :shock: :lol: :lol: . It was F*ckin' nuts for the Confederations cup last year, so what it will be like with Spain out and Messi and Co still in will be interesting to learn (especially with my mob in town lowering the beer and tone in equal measure).

I will not be cheering for Brazil or Holland if Costa Rica loose tonight.....
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

C'mon Europe!
gonna burn brightly
for a while
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Olan, have a nice holiday ! Costa Del Sol or Costa Bravo ?
You'll get the best of both worlds : empanadas and tapas.
Same here, I don't like Brazil or Holland.

Speaking of Holland what a boring match. I think I developed 'football fatigue.' Watching four matches in two days is a bit much ...
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Boring?
The fact Costa Rica lasted another 120 minutes albeit with 11 men this time was incredible. Especially when they nearly broke thru in the second extra 15 minutes.
Holland faced an amazing goalie like Belgium did tuesday. The crossbar and post helped too. It was incredible drama.
I thought it was riveting. Strictly my opinion.
beaker73
Known user

Post by beaker73 »

Holland won that match fair and square and deserved to win it. Costa Rica from the get go were playing to not lose the match instead of playing to win it, going for defense for 120 minutes. Holland should have scored a couple of times in regular playing time, but were just unlucky. The final penalty shoot out however, was just briliant, with bringing in a different goalie.
Bring on argentina! we'll kick messi's arse for shure!
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

Fairly disappointed in Belgium yesterday played as a collection of individuals rather than a team. Argentina by contrast finally looked like a team & worked hard fully deserved their win.

Last night costa rica really carried no attacking threat until like the 119th minute. But given their resources can't complain how they set themselves up. They were admirable in their work ethic & organisation.
Was disappointed in the Dutch they couldn't find a way thru. Rvp badly out of form. The 2nd half descended into a boring frustrating game but extra time was brilliant. Loved that substation - all game it was like why hasn't van gaal made any changes?! Well it was an obv masterstroke in planning. Of course had it backfired it'd have been funny as hell!

Think the argies will suit Netherlands better, they'll be able to play on the counter a bit more.

Hoping Germany/Netherlands final (tho will miss de Jong kicking people if that comes to pass) & hopefully the Dutch finally winning the trophy. Again this tournament they've given so much to the game, it'd be nice to see them rewarded.

& really, Netherlands are proper battle hardened - they've had toughest run of any semifinal it's - chile, Spain & Mexico all provided tougher tests than maybe the other 3 have had to face. I loved their resolve in the pens last night. Cheering for the orange men - it is marching season after all.. Be impolite not to!
gonna burn brightly
for a while
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

spacemanrich wrote:Olan, have a nice holiday ! Costa Del Sol or Costa Bravo ?
You'll get the best of both worlds : empanadas and tapas.
Same here, I don't like Brazil or Holland.

Speaking of Holland what a boring match. I think I developed 'football fatigue.' Watching four matches in two days is a bit much ...
I couldn't imagine doing the Costa thing at all. We are miles off the tourist track with Valencia being the nearest city...
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

KingHarry wrote:
niamhm wrote:the whole thing wasn`t helped by the Pearce/Lawrenson commentary team, Lawrenson really should just f#ck off back home, he give`s the impression attending a WC/QF tie is a chore, dull, snide and negative comments all the way through and very little insight, the BBC Sports really should get their collective arses kicked if he`s the best they can come up with, a wrinkly old atmosphere hoover.
He's a wretched excuse of a man.

I've said it before - he appears to feel that life is one continuing curse, the indignity of being sent to Rio for a month, with your mates, to watch football, get paid a fortune.

One of the recent games, Pearce made a remark about Belo Horizonte's "antiquated charm" - Lawrenson countered immediately with "that's one way of describing it" in his typical cynical miserablist tone. So there he is, sat in the sun, all expenses paid, a guest of Brasil, telling us that Belo Horizonte is a shit hole.

Wish we could expunge him from LFC's history the massive bellend.
I agree with all of that about Lawro, but he is better than Phil Nev.........sod it I give up.... :lol:
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Pretty dire quarter finals overall. Belgium hoofing the ball for the last 20 minutes was depressing stuff altogether. France devoid of ideas and, like Belgium, urgency. Brazil cynical and ugly. Argentina and Germany both efficient but not much else. A mate of mine reckons they should start the games after 90 minutes i.e play 30mins and then penalties! I see his point, it would make for more excitement and save on 90 minutes of tedium.

Have to say, I'm falling out of love with this tournament. I can't see Brazil/Germany being anything other than a torturous grind, and while Holland/Argentina has all the makings of a classic, on paper at least, i've a feeling it will quickly descend into a cynical kicking match.

I wouldn't mind seeing the Dutch winning it, but purely for sentimental reasons. They've had great teams in the past and played some wonderful football over the years so it would be nice to see their name on the trophy, but this current crop does nothing for me whatsoever.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

sunray wrote:
Have to say, I'm falling out of love with this tournament. I can't see Brazil/Germany being anything other than a torturous grind, and while Holland/Argentina has all the makings of a classic, on paper at least, i've a feeling it will quickly descend into a cynical kicking match.
My feelings exactly.

Y'know when Robbie Savage sais that this has been one of the best world cups...the best World Cup ever...you sort of turn off

I'll watch with bias to see how Louis Van Gaal performs
Shoulders back, smash it
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

I think it has been a great world cup, really enjoying it.
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

C'mon Germany!
gonna burn brightly
for a while
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Xmal Deutschland !