World Cup Brasil 2014

For anything else...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, spzretent, MODLAB, NightWash

The Dr
Known user

Re: World Cup Brasil 2014

Post by The Dr »

In praise of beauty- the glory that was Spain

Yes, in the cold light of day and in the passion of the night before, we witnessed the great Spanish team crumble before our very eyes. Edifices cracked, gods with holes in their hands. The critics sharpened their pens and the fans their tongues. But, wait, this was the very same team that in the last six years dominated the world game, whose players dominated the domestic game, who reinvented football, watched with envy by the past masters, the inventors of the beautiful game. A team that played, like the great brasil teams of the 60s and 70s to play football, who loved the ball and the grass, to whom the three yard tap in to win one nil was demeaning. If you do not have a thousand touches before scoring, then it is not a goal. A team that played with passion and flair, a team that for the best part of four years could not be touched. World football tried to copy- could not, so were then forced to reinvent their own styles of play to counter it. The team that had the greatest managers of the era scratching their heads as to how to stop them. So, what happened? With tournaments almost every year (European championships, world cups, confederations cups), were they, like Rome stretched too thin until they snapped? Were the players all too tired after long domestic competitions? Were they simply lacking the all-consuming hunger to be the best? When you reach the summit you can only plateau. Maybe it was age, maybe it was that they were eventually found out and toppled. But, frankly, who cares. This was a team that brought joy and beauty to the world, people wept with joy in the final when pure football beat the unsubtle skulduggery of the Dutch, children became Xavi and Torres. The brasil manager who said that the dream of football was over was proved wrong. Spain proved that small men with talent and imagination could humble the world. Spain proved that football was more than winning and loosing, it was about being beautiful and there is nothing more beautiful than being crowned kings of the world on your own terms. So, instead of bemoaning the end of an era, let us hold our breath for a moment and reflect on the beauty and glory that was Spain.
“You're not Dostoevsky,' said the citizeness

'Well, who knows, who knows,' he replied.

'Dostoevsky's dead,' said the citizeness, but somehow not very confidently.

'I protest!' Behemoth exclaimed hotly. 'Dostoevsky is immortal!”
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

The Spain Chile game was fascinating. Not just because Chile thoroughly deserved the win but because Spain looked like their hunger had gone. At one point with about 20 minutes to go they attacked and I turned to my other half and said 'there's no way they are going to score are they?' as they just looked totally off colour. With a few minutes to go the alarming lack of urgency was bizarre - like they'd given up. Long optimistic balls into the box, losing the ball so so easily, a real lack of team play. I'm baffled to be honest. That tika taka style they made their own has gone and they looked like they had nothing else to replace it with. When they were at their best over the last few years they were up there with almost any team I can think of - wonderful to watch and with outstanding quality and talent at every turn. I know great teams need to evolve and develop but last night suggested they hadn't actually thought about that. Heads down for so much of the second half and an absence of passion.

Although I applaud the Chileans for their deserved victory they were as bad as anyone in the WC so far for flopping and it became such a pain. On that subject the qualuty of refereeing has been miles better than in previous tournaments. I've seen many excellent refereeing performances this time. It can't be down to that magic spray - they seem to just make better decisions so advantage has been played and a lot of diving (Marcello the biggest arse of the whole tournament so far) has been ignored. Got to be good. Curiously now that spray is being used it hasn't resulted in any amazing free kick goals - which is partly what it was designed to do! In fact I can't remember any goals from free kicks but I may have missed one of course...

Finally what about Cahill's goal for Australia? I was driving home from work and heard the commentators going on and on about it and managed to get home for half time to see it replayed endless times. It was incredible - not only the technique to do it but the very notion it was even possible is impressive. Even better than Yeboah's goal against Liverpool all those years ago. Magnificent - no other word will do.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Pretty poor tonight. Sterling did an ok job, and Cahill did well at the back. Henderson was completely absent from the game, may as well have had 10 men. Gerrard was ineffective as he has often been for the England team. Sturridge was trying his hardest, no doubt, but he did pretty badly. Really awful shots, and at least 2 of them were when there were much better decisions to be made. Did have one good effort at 1-1 though. Johnson was so bad until that assist, I guess you can count that as a pretty good impact to have in a world cup fixture though.

Why is andros townsend doing the punditry on telly? He's shite at it.
KingHarry
Known user

Post by KingHarry »

Great goals from Luis - wonderful little player.

Not sure what to make of England - some signs of threat, but basically Uruguay went at them for 5 minutes and caused chaos. You'd imagine that if England limped into the knock-out rounds it end up like 2010, getting battered by a decent team.

Great to see so many Liverpool players contributing to the national team.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

spzretent wrote:The ESPN broadcasters, Ian Darke and Steve McManaman, were brutal on England at the end. Really lit into them. Nicxe to see on a national broadcast. You wouldn't hear this on any other sports broadcast over here.
It was quite refreshing.
I aint no expert , but to me ,England`s defence was nowhere near it, 2 last Sat. and 2 to night, bad goals lost ... how the f#ck don`t you know Suarez is the danger man?? the way they lost him for the 1st goal beggars believe!! 4/5 defenders in the box and nobody near the most dangerous man on the park?!? ... ... and then goal 2?? ... Gerrard can get to f#ck, top man in the squad?, ridiculous mistake when a draw would do, booting Suarez in to next week, and out the competition would be fine and worth a red card, :x
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Their is a difference between world class player and top club player. Suarez is a world class player ! He willed Uruguay to the win when they needed it the most.
KingHarry
Known user

Post by KingHarry »

niamhm wrote:
spzretent wrote:The ESPN broadcasters, Ian Darke and Steve McManaman, were brutal on England at the end. Really lit into them. Nicxe to see on a national broadcast. You wouldn't hear this on any other sports broadcast over here.
It was quite refreshing.
I aint no expert , but to me ,England`s defence was nowhere near it, 2 last Sat. and 2 to night, bad goals lost ... how the f#ck don`t you know Suarez is the danger man?? the way they lost him for the 1st goal beggars believe!! 4/5 defenders in the box and nobody near the most dangerous man on the park?!? ... ... and then goal 2?? ... Gerrard can get to f#ck, top man in the squad?, ridiculous mistake when a draw would do, booting Suarez in to next week, and out the competition would be fine and worth a red card, :x
England exits always bring the best out of people
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

England were 2nd best for sure but Suarez was the big difference. Just having a player like that is a massive psychological advantage but last night his quality was a class apart from anything we had. Still, it was hardly a disastrous performance although nowhere near as good as against Italy, and as few people had major expectations it doesn't feel as shite as it did in South Africa where the players heads were somewhere else.

Gerrard must be feeling pretty crap today though. His naive header that caused the winning goal was the stuff of an inexperienced player rather than one of his quality. That error against Chelsea must have popped into his head more than once after the final whistle.

Bizarre number of Liverpool players on the squads last night!
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

James T wrote: Henderson was completely absent from the game, may as well have had 10 men. Gerrard was ineffective as he has often been for the England team.
Very true. Gerrard is untouchable though for some reason, both for England and Liverpool. I thought the defence was pretty poor all across the back four.

The Holy Trinity of Irish punditry (Giles, Dunphy and Brady) were of the view that Uruguay wanted it more. I think they have a point. They were far gutsier and stronger in the tackle than any of the English players.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

They have a world class striker and we quite obviously don't it's as simple as that :!:
'Remember, change is not good'
Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

Post by Stuart X.Hunter »

The stats make interesting reading...here are a select few;

Shots on Goal : Uruguay 8 - England 12
Shots on Target : Uruguay 2 - England 6
Possession : Uruguay 37% - England 63%
Passing Accuracy : Uruguay 65% - England 83%
Long Balls : Uruguay 49 - England 55
Crosses : Uruguay 18 - England 27

Again like James T mentioned I can't fathom Hodgson substitutions.
There was a period up until Rooney goal and from about ten mins into the second half when Baines and Johnson less so were getting in some good positions and delivering crosses.

At that point I'd have went 4-3-3. Pulling Wellbeck and Sterling for Lampard and Lambert. Rooney left side of Lambert and Sturridge right side. Lampard sniffing at the edge of the box in search of loose balls.

During that 20min or so period England were dominating, sadly they felt success with getting the goal instead of smelling blood.

Suarez (largely well policed by Cahill throughout the game) can smell blood...

I also felt Joe Hart was a lazy fucker with the second goal; A a smarter goalkeeper (see Ospina for Colombia) may have been on his toes with the through ball and B not staying on his feet and offering Suarez the biggest part of the goal to aim at was weak.

Overall in the two games there are positives there for England and for many it'll be an invaluable experience but I think if they persevere (and rightly so) with Cahill and Jagielka they MUST have a leader in goals and for all Joe Hart' gesticulating and pointing he does switch off.
I think it's time for Gerrard to move on; great player but was ineffective. The development of Barkley needs to be concentrated on as does the strength and desire of Wilshere.
Pair those three with the trio of Sterling, Rooney and Sturridge and there will be chances.
I do hope England, the FA, St. George's et al ditch the 4-2-3-1 as it's untenable especially playing it with 4 forwards.
I hope Hodgson bloods Forster, Jones and Shaw in the final game...we'll see

B,
S
Shoulders back, smash it
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Also, we haven't even mentioned the knee surgery he had four weeks ago. :shock:
The Italy v. Uraguay match should be interesting ...
KingHarry
Known user

Post by KingHarry »

spacemanrich wrote:Also, we haven't even mentioned the knee surgery he had four weeks ago. :shock:
I'd put a decent wager on a 0-0 or 1-1 Austria / West Germany 1982 style truce
KingHarry
Known user

Post by KingHarry »

sunray wrote:
James T wrote: Henderson was completely absent from the game, may as well have had 10 men. Gerrard was ineffective as he has often been for the England team.
Gerrard is untouchable though for some reason, both for England and Liverpool.
Christ - he mistimed a headed challenge halfway up the pitch, with 2 central defenders behind him. Can we put the gallows away?
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

KingHarry wrote:
spacemanrich wrote:Also, we haven't even mentioned the knee surgery he had four weeks ago. :shock:
I`m sure I heard today the final games kick off at the same time, and a draw wont suit Uruguay if Costa Rica were to beat England , so maybe a carve up is a bit less likely, I certainly thought about it last night, but it will probably be a competitive game,

edit, the way the Italy v Costa Rica game is going, it'll be immaterial anyway. My more combustible mood of last night has subsided today, but England`s defensive frailty got me a tad annoyed ,
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

KingHarry wrote:
I suspect a draw will suit the Italians. Given their goal difference, Uruguay need to win. The difficulty for Italy is that they have a pretty crap looking defence* and Uruguay have a good attack .

*I might add that the Italian midfield looks pedestrian, and can't cope with a full press. More to the point their forwards don't know how to play against a high defensive line/offside trap if 11 free kicks for offside today is anything to go by.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

KingHarry wrote:Christ - he mistimed a headed challenge halfway up the pitch, with 2 central defenders behind him. Can we put the gallows away?
Well, not really. He is a team mate of Suarez and knows how that guy hunts down any scrap of a chance - exactly like the one he handed to him. So it was a double fuck up as he is well aware of how Suarez's mind works, a monumental miscalculation.

I am a huge fan of Gerrard's but that showed that even with his experience and talent he can be very naive.
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

and Peter Beardsley should have kicked maradonna when he first got the ball inside his own half as he should have known that maradonna would want to score and then run the enitre england half and score a brilliant goal...'Maradona later commented that the goal would not have been possible had it not been for the fairness of the English style of play'...so even maradonna says it was beardsley's fault :!:

KingHarry
Known user

Post by KingHarry »

runcible wrote:
KingHarry wrote:Christ - he mistimed a headed challenge halfway up the pitch, with 2 central defenders behind him. Can we put the gallows away?
Well, not really. He is a team mate of Suarez and knows how that guy hunts down any scrap of a chance - exactly like the one he handed to him. So it was a double fuck up as he is well aware of how Suarez's mind works, a monumental miscalculation.

I am a huge fan of Gerrard's but that showed that even with his experience and talent he can be very naive.
Gerrard challenged for a header 50 yards from goal and didn't win it cleanly. That is what happened. His intention was presumably to win the header and clear any danger. Between him and the goal were 2 central defenders tasked with marking this really dangerous guy. I suppose it's possible that they aren't as culpable as this other naive bloke - because they aren't his team mate, so possibly Jagielka and Cahill wouldn't have know that he could be all beastly and try and score or something - but you would have thought they'd have seen him on the telly.
Truly bizarre and weird stuff coming out here - no idea why you're castigating the one whilst ignoring the others.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

I don't really agree with people saying Gerrard cost England the game, but either way he was pretty shite in both games and that's why people are getting on his back, the (slight) error just makes it easier to have something to pinpoint.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Also though, Godin should've been sent off, we shouldn't all overlook that. One of a shitload of terrible decisions this world cup. Did anyone see Dzekos disallowed goal just now? I mean, how was that given as offside? There ha been massively incorrect decisions in nearly every game, and have cost many teams dearly. This should not happen in Football's showpiece event.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

James T wrote:I don't really agree with people saying Gerrard cost England the game, but either way he was pretty shite in both games and that's why people are getting on his back, the (slight) error just makes it easier to have something to pinpoint.
I don't believe he cost England the game - too many other culprits - but he certainly screwed up in my opinion. That's one of the reasons Suarez is such a great player - he is one thought ahead of the opposition and anticipates '(slight) errors'. Gerrard knows that well enough playing alongside him.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Everyone makes mistakes, knowing that someone is ready to prey on it can't prevent that. There were centre backs who should've been much more awake. He played crap though so crucify away!
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Crickey ! My mistake in watching the 2nd half of the USA v. Portugal game in a pub. The yanks act like they won the world cup ...

Looking forward to the Italy v. Uruaguay clash, yes they need to win to move to the next stage.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Soccernista. A new term here in the US given to those who look down their noses at new soccer fans or bandwagon fans.
Rich, I belive you fall right into this category.
Are you not American? Well maybe not at the lengths you go to act like you are not.
This could have been a watershed moment in US Soccer history. Give Portugal credit for not giving up.
Why would you go to a pub to watch this match unless you are rooting for Portugal? If that is the case you are lucky to have not gotten your ass kicked.
While I am at it the correct spelling is Crikey.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Real shame they didn't win that game, I was hoping they would do it. I always enjoy getting behind the US sides, always written off but they're hard workers. Leaving Donovan behind? Doesn't look too bad a decision to me. DaMarcus Beasley, never worked that hard for city!

I still think USA will progress, as they could certainly get a draw against Germany the way this world cup is going. Also, I can't see Portugal winning by more than a goal if they do manage a win, meaning the goal difference shouldn't swing in their favour (can't imagine germany getting a 4 goal lead against the US).
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

i've tended towards supporting the european teams but last night even i was rooting for usa. after the first 10mins they were far and away the better team. shocking miss from bradley tho.

i said before on here but i really like the blend they've got in the squad w/the naturalised guys adding a technique that the usa hadn't really exhibited in previous generations - tho again dempsey is still a class apart. guy gets better each year, weird. to use the parlance of his country, he's got mad skillz.

re gerrard - "everyone makes mistakes" - so do the referees..
let me tell you about gerrard - in the play before the second uruguay goal gerrard had possession & was dictating his teammates to come towards him to receive the ball. he had 2 or 3 within about 10-15yards but instead opted to play the ball across field to an isolated jordan henderson who inevitably, lacking no support, turned the ball over. uruguay promptly went up the field & scored.
in the italy game, you remember that chance balo had when he lofted it over joe hart only for baines to clear off the line? that was instigated in midfield - gerrard had attempted to play a 40yard pass only to get it wrong & play it to italy who nearly went up the field & scored.

his mistakes aren'r rare - as a city fan you should know that. it's indicative of a lacking of intelligence in retaining possession & that ultimately leads to chances or goals for the opposition.
not that the calamitous CB pairing weren't at fault for the 2nd goal either, they were. but gerrard has been terribly exposed this tournament imo.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

As a city fan I should know Gerrard's mistakes aren't rare? Weird. There's no doubting his quality, but there's also no doubting he is past his best.

And I know so do the referees make mistakes, but they have assistants and there have been mistakes in near every game, massive mistakes that have cost teams dearly. Games are decided sometimes by mistakes, but they should be the players mistakes not the officials in a tournament like this.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

And Bradley caught that ball well, it was a great block on the line.
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Glad that Uruguay went thru. Did you see the 79th minute where it looked like Suarez bit one of the Italians in the shoulder ?
Got to wait and see the post-match interviews and analysis. It certainly looked like he did bite him ?
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Yes, there's photos of the bite marks and everything. He's a fucking disease that man, he needs a really lengthy ban from all competitions this time, you CAN NOT DO THAT 3 times and not be an absolute prick. I can't see how anyone can defend him in regards to this, or his general behaviour. He'll miss the rest of the world cup at least.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

All this crap he was on about after the England game, how he felt he had shut his critics up. No one has EVER doubted he can play some fantastic football, they doubt that he is a tolerable person. They are right to doubt the guy, he is an absolute disgrace.
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

yes but he can kick a ball and run so it is all good. players go to prison and then get new contracts (hello joey). i'm really, really going off football. at half tim e i put the cricket back on and then afte rthe half went back to football and after two mins of alan greene i went back to the cricket. ebgland lost with a ball left! aaarrrrggggg! so close :cry:

James T
Known user

Post by James T »

I feel I got a bit too worked up about it in the immediate aftermath, but he does need a proper ban this time because he got one last time and it didn't seem to knock any sense into him. Missing the rest of this and the next world cup would serve him right. Not only a disgrace in regards to the player he did it to, but also to the country he is supposed to be representing on the highest stage. Without Suarez, lets face it, they probably wouldn't do too great. They would still be ok, but they would not carry the same threat what-so-ever. The country, and the fans from that country, need him to be much more professional; and to put it more simple n that... not be so bloody insane.
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Yep, I saw the incident firsthand and my first and only reaction was " he bit him ! " It certainly looked like he lowered his head into his shoulder for a bite. The vampire strikes again. Just a few days ago, I was celebrating his exploits and maybe, just maybe he has put his ' behavior ' behind him. Start new and fresh and now this ..... again ! My God, doesn't he realize their are cameras everywhere and something like that can't easily be overlooked. Surly, their are players who give the ' inadvertent ' elbow, a rough tackle and even a headbutt, but to do this 3X is absurd. Don't be surprised FIFA is going to look into this and he'll get banned during the WorldCup if their is enough evidence.

http://www.sfgate.com/sports/article/Ga ... 575883.php
BROKENHEART
Known user

Post by BROKENHEART »

3rd time unlucky.Lifetime ban.
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

Has to be 3 strikes and your out,surely :!: Will be interesting to see what reaction comes out of Anfield, can they support him again after all the crap that's gone before, probably cos all about the money in football and has been for a good while, principles went out of the window years ago :!:

If FIFA do ban him for a lengthy period does this apply to Premier League :?:
'Remember, change is not good'
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

Uruguay forward Luis Suarez says there is "no need to make a story" out of the incident which he appeared to bite Italy defender Giorgio Chiellini on the shoulder during his side's 1-0 victory at the 2014 Fifa World Cup .

Suarez says he ran into his opponent and admits it made him "a little bit crazy.

spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Now that the verdict is out on his punishment :

* banned for 9 int'l matches and 4 months of football.

This will affect the WC, Champions League and 4 months domestic ?

What should LFC do, keep or sell him ?
Attachments
images.jpeg
images.jpeg (6.27 KiB) Viewed 11430 times
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

i was hoping he'd finally bitten off more than he can chew. however he'll have a nice long holiday then be back in the liverpool oct/nov time. pathetic

runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Uruguay have appealed the decision. Incredible really. Their refusal to accept what happened is beyond belief.

Makes you wonder how they might have reacted had an Italian player bitten one of theirs.
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

Uruguay's reaction has been nearly as gobsmacking as the bite. lugano came out after the match & said chellini shouldn't be conducting himself like he did showing the ref bite marks or sothing. the quip about if the italians can show bite marks saurez can show a bruised face from chellini's elbow! that one was like - yea, no shit sherlock he got elbowed in the face after he bit someone on the shoulder!

i'm a bit of an italian football fan but i can't begrudge uruguay their place, nor costa rica either. the shame is saurez biting - it took the italians out of the competition but it also took himself & effectively uruguay out the the tournament, it was such a waste.

anyway on happier things - USA
i LOVE they seemed to settle for a 1-0 loss even before kick off. it's the kinda tactical evolution i alluded to earlier in the thread. they're happy to do just enough to get thru - which is a clinical mistake the italians DIDN'T adhere to!
they knew the score(s) & unless ghana/portugal won by loads a 1-0 loss would be good enough. with ghana conceding two lol-worthy goals & portugal even conceding the one it was enough to send USA thru.
proper football. going to hop back on the tv to lick up crons tears..
gonna burn brightly
for a while
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

i am still a bit confused how being bitten makes you fall on the floor though...

spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Pathetic. Suarez tried to make it look like he was the victim. A lot of acting in this tourney. The Chile v. Netherlands game, Arjen Robben was barely touched and he fell to the ground like he was punched.

Uraguay's reaction is not surprising. I'm waiting to see LFC's reaction to this .... :shock:
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

spacemanrich wrote: Arjen Robben was barely touched and he fell to the ground like he was punched.
Precisely why it has taken soccer/football so long to be taken seriously in the US. Shame really.
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

you've got to understand tho, robben (& footballers in general) are very delicate, sensitive people. we not hamburger & fries fuelled american athletes,. you got to figure us europeans & footballers as something a little more artistic & fragile than the hulking brutes that dominate american sports!

anyway today is like the worst day of summer - there's no football tv :(
i love the KO stages, just there's not enough of them..
USA/Belgium looks like it could be great. some cracking ties in this first round actually..
gonna burn brightly
for a while
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

at least the story has a happy ending, barce want him :D that will help add to their image, especially last season :wink:

spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

As we speak, the representatives of Liverpool Football Club, Suarez's lawyer and agent and Pere Guardiola ( Pepe's brother/agent ) are meeting in Barcelona.

He might be on the move. What do you think KingHarry and olan ? Tough decision : keep or sell ? He's your prolific scorer,
can another player replace him ?
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

I believe Olan is an Everton supporter. I'll bet he says SELL!
Attachments
luis eliz.jpg
luis eliz.jpg (35.22 KiB) Viewed 11382 times
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

No good can come from any flippant comment I might make. Despite his playing for the other lot, I respect his talent, he is a phenomenal player. Sadly, he is also an accident waiting to happen. If I were a Red I might be relieved to get £50/£60M and get rid. If they get more, it makes the decision easier. His rap sheet makes shocking reading......
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

spacemanrich wrote:As we speak, the representatives of Liverpool Football Club, Suarez's lawyer and agent and Pere Guardiola ( Pepe's brother/agent ) are meeting in Barcelona.

He might be on the move. What do you think KingHarry and olan ? Tough decision : keep or sell ? He's your prolific scorer,
Dude, please respect my sensitivities here. I am about as far from being a Red as is possible. Try to keep up...... :D
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

My mistake ...... sometimes hard to keep up who's a Red, Blue, etc. I don't think their are any Blues (Chelsea) here ?
KingHarry
Known user

Post by KingHarry »

spacemanrich wrote:As we speak, the representatives of Liverpool Football Club, Suarez's lawyer and agent and Pere Guardiola ( Pepe's brother/agent ) are meeting in Barcelona.

says who, sleuth?
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

KingHarry wrote:

says who, sleuth?
Is Pere Guardiola a dentist? He could sort Luis out with some rubber teeth and save everybody a load of hassle.
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

C'mon Chile!
gonna burn brightly
for a while
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Suarez has said he fell into Chiellini.
"I lost my balance, making my body unstable and falling on top of my opponent," wrote Suarez in his defence to Fifa. "At that moment I hit my face against the player leaving a small bruise on my cheek and a strong pain in my teeth."
Kind of reminds me of something... Oh yes.

spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Runcible, I read that too ! Seems like one lame excuse after another from Dracula. Yes, go Chile !!!
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

Chile :'(

C'mon Columbia!
gonna burn brightly
for a while
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

What. A. Goal. HFS doesn't begin to describe that. Dreamlike prob closer to the thing. Wow.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Oh, KingHarry here is the link regarding LFC representatives meeting in Barcelona :
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/footba ... ports.html

Chile had their chances, you have to make penalty kicks.

That James Rodriguez (Columbia) is fantastic. City should look into signing him. He's only getting paid $678,000 from AS Monaco.

I'll take Mexico over the Dutch tomorrow.
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

Jeez ANOTHER great goal. Colombia tore them apart there.

Nah Netherlands & van gaal will do for Mexico.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
KingHarry
Known user

Post by KingHarry »

spacemanrich wrote:Oh, KingHarry here is the link regarding LFC representatives meeting in Barcelona :
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/footba ... ports.html

Chile had their chances, you have to make penalty kicks.

That James Rodriguez (Columbia) is fantastic. City should look into signing him. He's only getting paid $678,000 from AS Monaco.

I'll take Mexico over the Dutch tomorrow.
I'm not sure what you've taken from that purely speculative piece, that lacks quotes from any source, predicts the possibility of a future meeting that Liverpool have denied. Your statement of "As we speak representatives from Liverpool, Suarez's lawyer ... are meeting in Barcelona" seems a bit of leap no?
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

So Arjen Robben has apparently admitted to being a cheat. Alongside Marcelo Vieira he's the biggest twat of the tournament and has made my normal enthusiasm for the Dutch take a dive (see what I did there?). Robben's theatrics last night were so disappointing and show that flopping is now football's biggest problem. It seems to happen in almost every tackle situation now. Pathetic.

In the words of Leon Bernicoff - star of Channel 4's hilarious Gogglebox - Robben and Marcello are 2 of 'my favourite dickheads'.
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

well i for one am firmly in robbens corner - & wish there were more like him.

dribblers don't get enough protection imo - robben was kicked a fair few times & received no protection from the referee. so when he does fall over he tends to exaggerate his claims. if the refs policed the game properly he wouldn't have to resort to his flopping. but i'm rather take it & the wonderful side of his game than him not be there at all. the game needs more talent like robben not less.

& i also think he has a point about the expectation of being tripped, when moving at high speed you have to make the decision to try and avoid getting clattered/hurt & then kinda 'dive'/fall somewhat safely - then it looks worse when the opponent can take their foot away in that split second when the attacking player has already committed, making the dive look worse than it is.

it was a pen tho. he did exaggerate his flop but there was a foul on him. & there were plenty of others prior that hadn't been given.

& despite my tip that netherlands would win i was sad for mexico. can't believe their keeper was playing for ajaccio, he's been brilliant this world cup.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

I just recently mentioned Arjen Robben and his propensity for 'theatrics' and it costed Mexico the match. Mexico outplayed the Dutch yesterday and the call made by the ref was egregious to say the least. I don't believe in conspiracy theories, but I now feel that FIFA tries to manipulate some of the outcomes of these matches to suit their purposes. Up to that point their were some hard plays in the box with no whistle or yellow cards and a brief touch to Robbens foot making him dive like that in stoppage time was ridiculous ! It should have played on without a penalty. Now, I can see and won't be surprised if Brazil gets some preferential calls and treatment in the upcoming match against Columbia. They want to set this up between Brazil vs. Argentina or Germany. Its all about the ratings ...
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

In the post game show and on Late Night At The World Cup on ESPN over here Alexei Lalas correctly pointed out Mexico went after Robben three times in the box. The first two were not called. He chided Mexico for continuing to do this and it cost them at the worst time. In injury time.
This was clearly the least of the three fouls. He also went after Mexico for going up 1-0 and deciding to go into a defensive shell.
That goal that drew Holland even was nice.