Gig related honeymoon

For anything else...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, spzretent, MODLAB, NightWash

Shinesalight
Known user

Gig related honeymoon

Post by Shinesalight »

As I've mentioned (numerous times I'm sure :oops: ) on here already, I'm getting married next month. The future Mrs Shines and I have been discussing honeymoon options. As we have our one year old, Dylan, to consider we were thinking about having a week away somewhere nice and warm with him but that we'd also love to do a gig somewhere unique and different for just the two of us.

So far we have come up with the Slowdive gig in Paris, catching Neil Young in Iceland or maybe the Primevera festival in Barcelona (though the later is almost too gig heavy). Has anyone else got any recommendations that fit the bill gig wise that would also be a great place to visit?
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
James T
Known user

Re: Gig related honeymoon

Post by James T »

Scandiavia if there's any good shows there. I'd love to go to Alesund and they have a lot of shows recently. Oslo is a nice city and I've seen a few shows there, but I wouldn't go expecting to see real norway, it's just a city. It's just really easy going over that way, I love it. If you can maybe fly into Bergen and then take a cruise round to Flam and train to Oslo, it's really work doing.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Come to Portland (great city, near mountains and sea) and you can see this show. I've seen them twice before and they never fail to disappoint. Also, as it is "An Evening with" that means they will have no support, play two sets and jam for 3 hours giving you your money's worth:

http://www.wonderballroom.com/event/493 ... -portland/

:D
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

We're only looking at a long weekend away (due to not wanting to leave Dylan for too long), so Portland along with the CRB, as great as it would be, wouldn't really fit the bill I'm afraid Redcloud. Keep the suggestions coming though. Neil Young in Iceland is looking like an early favourite at the moment.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Shinesalight wrote:We're only looking at a long weekend away (due to not wanting to leave Dylan for too long), so Portland along with the CRB, as great as it would be, wouldn't really fit the bill I'm afraid Redcloud.
Hahaha....I know. I wasn't serious with my reply. Also, my typing was faster than my brain was thinking. I didn't mean to say that CRB "never fails TO disappoint". Very much the opposite. They have killed it each time I have seen them and we're looking forward to seeing them again. :D

I've been to Iceland before and had a marvelous time. Whatever you decide...enjoy!
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

When it comes to Iceland I think a hotel/flight package with expedia is the way forward, hotels are extortionate but they tend to do good deals together. Also icelandair do some nice little packages and the flights are nicer than say easyjet.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Shines wrote:Neil Young in Iceland...
I think this would be spectacular and leave you with some amazing memories!

All the best with the incoming nupitals by the way sir... :D
O P 8
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

We were seriously considering the Slowdive gig in Paris. Take the train, book decent seats, have a bottle of wine and some nice cheese, book into a decent hotel, Paris in June....What could go wrong?
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

I agree with Bza. Neil Young in Iceland sounds pretty amazing.
Been there once on my way over to the UK/Holland. It is as close to being on the moon I as I have ever been. Icelandair used to run the nicer hotels there and do great packages.
I realize you are going to be on your honeymoon so I may as well tell you Iceland has the most beautiful women I have ever seen in one place. If you like blondes. They look nothing like Bjork.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
Dreamweapon
Known user

Post by Dreamweapon »

We had our honeymoon in Reykjavik coincidentally at the same time as Airwaves 2010. Was gutted, as I didn't realise that you had to buy a wristband for the whole event, and you couldn't just get them for individual gigs.

I can certainly recommend the city though - very beautiful, and we found everyone who we encountered really friendly too!