MH370 / Washington mudslide

For anything else...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, spzretent, MODLAB, NightWash

Dreamweapon
Known user

MH370 / Washington mudslide

Post by Dreamweapon »

I have no idea whether anyone is or feels affected by what has happened with MH370, and I know that there has been massive coverage of this on news channels.

Apologies if anyone feels this may be inapporpriate to post (certainly not my intention), but thoughts, respect and prayers to everyone on board as well as all families.

The same goes for everyone affected by the landslide in the USA.

Both events must have been terrifying to have experienced and the families that have been affected will take a long time to even begin to come to terms with what has happened.

Peace and thoughts with you all.
redcloud
Known user

Re: MH370 / Washington mudslide

Post by redcloud »

This is horrific but sadly not uncommon in this part of the world. We get a lot of rain on the western side of the Cascades add to it clear cutting of the hills/mountains means it happens frequently here in the Pacific Northwest. A similar, but not as deadly, landslide happened in Vernonia, Oregon about 6-7 years ago.

Landslides are natural occurrences here as it rains so much as are falling trees. The problem is we now live amongst it and unless they change their practice of clear cutting they will continue to be more frequent and on a larger scale as witnessed in Washington.

As the news comes in it just seems more and more terrible.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Just horrendous. I can't imagine how bad that must have been when it happened as the devastation looks incredible.
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

I was horrified to see the devastation caused by the landslide. The sheer volume of earth that just dropped off the mountain is enormous. I stumbled on this video the otehr day after reading about it. I thought it was the same event, but its not. Regardless, this gave a very real perspective to how fast these things happen and the force of whats comes with it...

The story of the missing plane just doesn't sit right with me. Terrible tragedy and i really feel for the families left in limbo with it all, but its just doesn't seem feasible that this wasn't detected sooner. With all the technology and surveilance in the world and "not so secret" spying that goes, i just don't understand how a plane could veer of course and not be detected. So many theories bouncing about doesn't help maters either. With no means of actually finding out whats happened on the plane prior to it coming down, it will forever remain a mystery i think.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

We live in a landslide area (and earthquake). Usually they (landslides) are just an inconvenience for example, a road closed due to a slide but there have been some bad ones where houses have slid down hills here in Portland. It is natural occurrence because it rains a lot....there's a lot of mud and the hills are slightly moving. But, it is a constant issue when we get serious rains (ex. this Feb/March. were pretty bad with heavy snow and then a month or so of constant rain).

Add to this mix the river erosion at the base of this particular hill in Washington and logging and it really was a recipe for disaster. A large slide happened on the same hill in 2006 and geologists were warning about a potential for catastrophic landslide as long ago as 1999. There's going to be some serious lawsuits to come out of this. Not that it will soothe the pain of those who lost their family.

When something like this happens it puts into perspective just how insignificant all of us are when Mother Nature decides to roar as well as how foolish and arrogant we are to think we can tame her.
Dreamweapon
Known user

Post by Dreamweapon »

The continuing news coverage in the UK of both events continues.

I really had no idea of simply how devastating the mudslide was - I know that the board has members in the US, but unsure exactly where, and therefore whether any of you are close to Oso, or indeed had family there or nearby.

Whatever you think of the way that Malaysia has handled the missing of MH370, and the families of the passengers and crew, this is also truly shocking.

Once again, thoughts and condolences with families of all those involved in both events, as well as the teams doing all they can to help. When I first heard news of the mudslide, it included a rescue team needed to help rescue the first rescue team due to the horrendous and dangerous conditions they were working in.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

This Malaysian Airline plane is all consuming on our news. I honestly do not know what CNN will do with themselves once they find the plane. They will have to continue, somehow to discuss it endlessly. The theories have ranged from the outrageous scare mongering (stolen and landed in a remote airstrip in Kazakhstan to be loaded with bombs and flown into a western target) to the ridiculous (alien abduction).

I have no idea what happened but my guess is something relatively simple yet, catastrophic...either pilot suicide or a freak all systems failure and electrical fire that suffocated the pilots and it flew on auto-pilot until it ran out of gas. Nevertheless, I am betting it is on the bottom of the sea in many pieces or maybe scattered in remote mountains in Malaysia? If it is the latter maybe that is why no luggage or wreckage has been found floating? I reckon they will find evidence soon though.