Rik Mayall RIP

For anything else...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, spzretent, MODLAB, NightWash

runcible
Site Admin

Rik Mayall RIP

Post by runcible »

I had to stick something here as I was lucky enough to have seen The Young Ones - purely by chance as I had no idea what it was when I saw it - the first time it was shown on the BBC and it was quite a highlight for me in my younger years. It feels odd that it was over 30 years ago.

Personally I always had time for his comedy - Kevin Turvey, The New Statesman, Bottom and more. Always something to find amusing even it was just the childishly gross humour. But it is The Young Ones that I will always remember the guy for - anyone who went to university or had mates who did met someone like his character Rick.

So there we are. 56 is terribly young so I am very sad to hear about his demise. Who knows what happened...? RIP Rik - one of the creators and pioneers of alternative comedy.
ro
Known user

Re: Rik Mayall RIP

Post by ro »

Sad.
last year I watched the entire set of Young Ones episodes (phew!).
so much silliness in there I'd forgotten from the first time around in the 80's.
Neil. lentils. green snot. Motörhead.
Sad.
plastic37
Known user

Post by plastic37 »

runcible wrote:Who knows what happened...?
Item on Radio 4 included a colleague who explained that since his accident he wasn't the same. But it wasn't made clear if his death was related to that.
They played the "I'm going to write to the lead singer of Echo & The Bunnymen" line among others

I am also old enough to have seen the Young Ones first time round. It was always a massive talking point at school the next day.

Very sad.
All the Comic Strip stuff is on the Channel 4 on demand service and I'll be watching Mr Jolly Lives Next Door in a bit.
Heavy Tourism
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

very sad. loved the young ones and Alan b'stard.

also remember those two comic strips with them as the Metal bad news.

he was one of a kind and such a big influence on so many people's formative years
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

The Young Ones was a very important thing in my late teens at a very, very grim time in Dublin. I also loved the Dangerous Brothers, which pre-dated The Young Ones and tends to get forgotten as it was resurrected for TV for that show on C4 Ben Elton used to host. It is trite, but 56 is far, far to young an age to pass away at, and looms ever closer on my horizon.
heisenberg
Known user

Post by heisenberg »

Such sad, rotten news.

I was a huge fan of his work. I had the Bottom TV shows on those massive BBC video boxes, and later bought the DVD boxset. I also saw Bottom live in Glasgow in 1997. was probably too young to be allowed in to the show, but it changed my life in a similar way that the great music gigs I've been to have changed me. I'm pretty sure I still have a Bottom T shirt somewhere too.

He seemed to genuinely not give a shit or have any fear of failure. Watch any video on youtube that he's in and you will always laugh, especially in tv interviews or formal situations, where he can't help but be mischievous. What a personality. For these reasons, I always felt he was someone to admire and respect. A one-off.

That's a large part of the young me gone with him too. RIP Rik.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Drop Dead Fred' Star Dies At Age 56

The headline on US AOL/Huff Post news page.
He must be laughing wherever he is.
RIP.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

Loved his humor.

American Werewolf in London, chess player at the Slaughtered Lamb:

Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

I was gutted when news broke of this. I LOVED his comedy and his partnerships with Ade Edmonson are comedy gold! Bottom and Blackadder are two of my favourite TV shows ever. A true comedian who had his own unique mannerism and wit that few other shared. 56 seems far far too young for someone who still had so much to offer.

Farewell Richie! :(
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

Same for me. Really gutted. I was born in 72 so was a nice young age when the Young Ones hit our screens. Speaking about it and quoting it at school the next day was such a laugh. It was a proper generation gap divide style of comedy too. My parents didn't really approve if my memory serves me right. I always remember my Mum telling us to turn it off when a family Dr came to visit one evening when it was on, quite possibly the University Challenge episode where Vivian gets his head knocked off by the train.
We all loved Rik in Blackadder though. I loved watching that and seeing my Dad piss himself laughing at Lord Flashheart. WOOF WOOF!
To think Rik is gone at just 56 is so sad, and also makes me feel like something else has died at the same time too. Part of our youth maybe?
Rik on Twitter, his one and only post, “Opening my very own Twitter to stop another bastard from doing it. So fuck off & don't expect to hear from me any time soon. Love Rik x”.
Perfect.
Last edited by johnnyboy on Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Haha that is indeed perfect!

I was a little too, uh, young for 'The Young Ones' but 'Bottom' had me crying with laughter at a very early age and to this day I find the bizarre antics of Richie Rich and Eddie Hitler just pure comedy gold:

Richie: What was your name again?
Spudgun: Spudgun.
Richie: Spudgun. Why do they call you 'Spudgun'?
Spudgun: Well, give me a potato and I show you why.
Eddie: No, Richie! You dont want to see that.
Richie: Well, why do they call you 'Hedgehog'?
Dave Hedgehog: Give me a hedgehog and I show you why...
O P 8
Hedspace
Known user

Post by Hedspace »

a painful goodbye

RIP Rik

BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

clewsr wrote:very sad. loved the young ones and Alan b'stard.

also remember those two comic strips with them as the Metal bad news.

he was one of a kind and such a big influence on so many people's formative years
Massive part of my formative years such sad sad news a true comedy genius.
'Remember, change is not good'
nickh
Known user

Post by nickh »

:mrgreen:
Last edited by nickh on Sun Feb 18, 2024 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

Nobody mentioned Filthy,Rich & Catflap which I thouight was superb and usually goes under the radar.
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

The "Young Ones" used to be on very late on PBS in the USA, and I loved it. 56 is just too young to go.
"Everything is a Poison; it is the amount or degree that separates one Poison from another"
Paracelsus
Dreamweapon
Known user

Post by Dreamweapon »

Heard a few weeks ago that Hammersmith Council have agreed to put the bench back in place with an inscription as a tribute to Rik.

Has anyone ever seen the first 2 Bottom Live films? VERY puerile but utterly hysterical too as they could get away with so much more.
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

Watched the British Comedy Awards last night and unless I missed something there was no reference to his passing whatsoever, not good.
heisenberg
Known user

Post by heisenberg »

Yeah, that's a shocking oversight. But then again an awards show where Lee mack, david Mitchell and Jack whitehall are all considered funny must be taken with a pinch of salt.