Apple

For anything else...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, spzretent, MODLAB, NightWash

niamhm
Known user

Apple

Post by niamhm »

Two presents from Apple yesterday, a brand new, free U2 album shove into my iTunes library and the quiet death of the Ipod Classic. Cheers, you lousy bastards!! :evil:
davedecay
Known user

Re: Apple

Post by davedecay »

You can delete the files.

You can still buy a Classic if you hurry.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Haha nae luck niamhm. Of all the bands...

I don't see anything like that in my iTunes - not that I'm bothered likes, but what was the criteria for being sent such a shitty 'gift' anyway?

Childish I know... but I crack up everytime I see this. Nails it!

O P 8
heisenberg
Known user

Post by heisenberg »

Jeez! That video!!

(No Pride) In The Name of God.

See what I did there?
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

BzaInSpace wrote:Haha nae luck niamhm. Of all the bands...

I don't see anything like that in my iTunes - not that I'm bothered likes, but what was the criteria for being sent such a shitty 'gift' anyway?

Not completely sure Bza, I think it might have something to do with icloud , do you have one? and the new Iphone 6 or something ... ... honest to f#ck I never signed up for it!!

I noticed the marketing ploy/tie up on Twitter, checked my iTunes, my main online media player and there she was :( Thanks Dave I never thought about deleting it.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

BzaInSpace wrote:Haha nae luck niamhm. Of all the bands...

Christ that video, sounds like and outtake from Pil - Metal Box sessions :lol:
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

ha i'd love to see the figures for the amount of people who delete the album.

sadly it's a sign of the times. i wouldn't be surprised if they send it straight to people's phones/iwatches in the near future.

in some ways you gotta love the hypocrisy & neurosis of bono & his bandmates. i find it interesting, to a degree, as to just... why? like, what drives him to inflict himself on so many people? oh well.. more power to him i guess.. it's a sad old world, huh..
gonna burn brightly
for a while
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

How to delete the virus called "U2" from your account...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/29157217
spunder
Known user

Post by spunder »

wriggle free from the clutches of Apple and go get yourself a Sansa Clip + instead.

amazing piece of hardware.
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

I own two iPods, and a Sansa Clip+ running rockbox.

Mainly an Apple guy (certified tech) but I don't drink the Kool-Aid.

Still don't see why anyone would voluntarily choose Windows, though.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

So what is the largest capacity iPod you can buy now? I have a 120GB classic and it's full and I'd considered expanding to a larger capacity. Seems I won't be doing that.
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Runcie, I believe the biggest is 160gb. I have an 80gb before they came out with one double the capacity ! I don't know why they would kill this off ? I suppose they think that people would be fine carrying some music on their iphone/ipad and that it would suffice ? Considering getting the 160gb before they disappear ? Apple has gone downhill since the death of Jobs. No new product, the iwatch or whatever it's called already came out with Samsung. The new iphone6 is just a bigger screen, again Samsung came out with that in 2012 !
runaway
Known user

Post by runaway »

As a former web designer (back in the gravy days of the early/mid nineties), I gleefully drank the Apple Kool Aid. Nowadays I loathe the company for what it has become - a bullying and highly manipulative behemoth with no trace of the "soul" that once attracted many like myself to their neat products. I feel the same way about U2, coincidentally.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

So once the Classic is gone we'll be left with much lower capacity devices? That's rubbish. I need one with loads more space, not less.
burningwheel
Known user

Post by burningwheel »

The stopped making the 160 a long time ago. Search amazon for high capacity mp3 player. Maybe include audiophile
[url=http://www.loveisforever.org]Primal Scream, My Bloody Valentine, Swervedriver, Chapterhouse, The Telescopes, Loop, Verve and more![/url]
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

It doesn't make much sense to me. Most people who have a LOT of music on their iPods probably don't want to start using their phone as an mp3 player, solely because of the amount of storage space that they need for the music. That's why the iPod classic serves a purpose. It would make more sense for them to discontinue the iPod models with smaller storage capacities (Nano, etc.). Those are the ones people are likely setting aside in favor of simply playing music on their phones.

I got a deal on one of Neil Young's new Pono cajiggers via their Kickstarter campaign a few months ago, so I'm going to try that out when it arrives (supposed to be next month). I got it for half price so I figured it was worth a shot. Who knows how much longer my iPod will last.
burningwheel
Known user

Post by burningwheel »

Yep, makes no sense. While researching other options for my wife, it seems a lot of people who are really into music want a stand alone device for their music.

I dont have an ipod, since I cant use one in my car
[url=http://www.loveisforever.org]Primal Scream, My Bloody Valentine, Swervedriver, Chapterhouse, The Telescopes, Loop, Verve and more![/url]
burningwheel
Known user

Post by burningwheel »

I suspect they will keep the smaller ones, since people like those for exercise and are more casual listeners
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

I have had my 160g Classic for about 4/5 years now, use it most days, whats the `life` expectancy on these devices? If it dies on me I would probably have bought another, but that's looking unlikely to be possible, buying one to put away just in case I can`t really justify. The Nano, Shuffle and Touch shit should be deleted, doing nothing most phones can`t do just as well.
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

I would imagine life expectancy might be for a long time if you take good care of it i.e. - keep away from water and dropping it and that sort of thing. Someone mentioned purchasing one and keeping it until their current one died ? That wouldn't be a bad idea and as well, you can put it on eBay a few years later and make a bundle of money, perhaps ?

BurningWheel, they still make the 160gb, well up to now that the news is that their killing it. This is just a link to one of the local electronic stores in the Bay Area that sells the 160gb just to give you an example. With this week's announcement, I would assume that the Classic will sell out fast at retailers ? I didn't even know that they were killing this until I read this thread.

http://www.frys.com/search?cat=-70732&p ... od_classic

I would imagine now that they would go with the Touch - the screen enabled one instead of the carousel wheel found on the Classic ?
burningwheel
Known user

Post by burningwheel »

Thats weird. My wife had the 160, but it died somehow and she got the 120, because she claimed they stopped making the 160. This was many years ago too. Weird
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

My last iPod classic died when the headphone jack started to malfunction. I started to get only one channel. The jack just wore out. I took it to an Apple store and they gave me a discount on a new one, but they said the jack couldn't be repaired. I think it lasted 3-4 years, but honestly, I can't be sure. I'm just guessing.
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

my friend just replaced his Classic iPod, it lasted him 7 years and he used it a lot.

look on eBay, you can get a 240GB iPod 7th gen upgraded to flash memory for about $320 shipped.

theoretically the drive will never wear out because there are no moving parts.
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

TheWarmth wrote:My last iPod classic died when the headphone jack started to malfunction. I started to get only one channel. The jack just wore out. I took it to an Apple store and they gave me a discount on a new one, but they said the jack couldn't be repaired. I think it lasted 3-4 years, but honestly, I can't be sure. I'm just guessing.
I have taken apart the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th gen iPods (full size) - the audio jacks are not that hard to replace.
burningwheel
Known user

Post by burningwheel »

Interesting about updating to flash.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

similar worries from me. I'm no acolyte of Apple at all, but when I wanted a large capacity mp3 player, the ipod was the only option.
I need more capacity, not less.

as for U2.. meh. another publicity stunt.
spunder
Known user

Post by spunder »

i have a couple of 8gb sansa clip + with 64gb micro SD cards ... all of that for under £100 ... and they SOUND so much better than my old ipods.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

So the big question is what audio device has the largest capacity? Are there any that are up to the 200GB area?
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

spunder wrote:i have a couple of 8gb sansa clip + with 64gb micro SD cards ... all of that for under £100 ... and they SOUND so much better than my old ipods.
I'm the same. Had a Sansa clip 4Gb previously and it lasted me for about 4 years. Suprisingly good for a little plastic thing. Wife replaced it with a newer 8Gb one for my Xmas last year and i've a couple of 64Gb micro SD cards with a variety of stuff on it.
NightWash
Site Admin

Post by NightWash »

Moved topic to Other since it really doesn't belong into the music section.

I think that if you look for devices with a lot of GB "on-board" the market won't offer much. I fear that the whole business will move towards cloud storage like it does with phones. But looking for a device that can be extended by a memory card will sure help. SanDisk announced some 512GB SD-Card lately, but i think it was no micro-SD. But sure such things will come soon, problem maybe that the players won't accept such a big card for a while at least (usually 64GB is max).

Sansa seems to be a good choice, had one too until that damn cold winter night when the display broke. Afterwards i went for an iPod too because of the 16GB it offered. Won't do this again and actually i started using my phone to listen to music.
spunder
Known user

Post by spunder »

Laz69 wrote:
spunder wrote:i have a couple of 8gb sansa clip + with 64gb micro SD cards ... all of that for under £100 ... and they SOUND so much better than my old ipods.
I'm the same. Had a Sansa clip 4Gb previously and it lasted me for about 4 years. Suprisingly good for a little plastic thing. Wife replaced it with a newer 8Gb one for my Xmas last year and i've a couple of 64Gb micro SD cards with a variety of stuff on it.
i also have one of the Fuze + with the crazy touch interface ... although it's rockboxed and very usable ... again a very powerful and fantastic sounding DAP for £35...
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

i have the sansa 8gb. i choose not to use the sd slot as i think there can be overkill and i like forcing myself to select only 8gbs of music- also i forces me to listen to stuff i don't know instead of safety first
“You're not Dostoevsky,' said the citizeness

'Well, who knows, who knows,' he replied.

'Dostoevsky's dead,' said the citizeness, but somehow not very confidently.

'I protest!' Behemoth exclaimed hotly. 'Dostoevsky is immortal!”
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

i've always disliked appale for their 'exculsiveness' then this gave me more tangible justification

In 1994, Apple chose the internal codename "Carl Sagan" for its PowerMac 7100. Though it was meant as an homage to Carl (and an in-joke that the computer would make Apple "billions and billions" of dollars), they also used the codenames "Piltdown Man" and "Cold Fusion" for the Power Mac 6100 and 8100, respectively. When Carl found out that he was being put alongside scientific hoaxes, he sued Apple. Though Apple won the suit, the codename was changed to BHA (Butt Head Astronomer) ... which prompted yet another lawsuit from the p.o.'d astronomer! Apple won again, but their lawyers demanded the engineers change the codename one more time, which they did. The PowerMac 7100 was known by its final codename LAW, which stood for "Lawyers Are Wimps."

The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

http://www.nme.com/news/u2/79791

Apple has released a tool to allow its customers to remove U2's album 'Songs Of Innocence' from their devices with just one click.

nothing about emotional support though...

niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

A quick look at prices for 160g Ipod Classic, seems to show limited availability already, with Argos cheapest at £189, and assorted chancers looking for between £250- £320, seems like these are going to be a thing of the past very shortly.

Being honest I`d never heard of those Sansa -Clip players before, but teamed up with a decent memory card, that looks a very cost efficient way to go,
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

I still have an 80gb ipod that I still have over 10+ yrs. and it works fine. Just depends on how you take care of your device like I mentioned earlier. Still contemplating getting the 160gb, I shouldn't wait until it's gone before making a decision ? Still the 64gb microSD disc cards is too small. It be nice to put ALL your music on one device. Screw the cloud. I like to OWN my own music and not pay a monthly fee for them "storing" it for me. I looked and I don't see the U2 album in my iTunes (quite relieved) ...
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

As I understand it, you have to have automatic iCloud sync/download enabled to have the U2 album thrust upon you.

I did not, and as such, did not.
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

Reading at macintouch.com, I see mention of another music playing device which looks promising:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EPFLJS8/

Fiio X3 24Bit/192K Lossless Mastering Quality Music Player w/ Sandisk 64GB External MicroSD Memory & Coaxial Connection Kit

FiiO X3 DAP + SanDisk 64GB class 10 MicroSD card + 3.5mm Stereo Audio Connection Cable + ProStudio Sound & Music brand Coaxial Audio Cable.
Supports Five Lossless Audio Formats including APE, FLAC, ALAC, WAV, and WMA. AAC format supported for compressed Apple audio files.
WOLFSON WM8740 192kHz/24-bit DAC Chip.
Gold plated 3.5mm male-to-male stereo audio cable, and ProStudio Sound & Music Brand 3ft gold plated coaxial audio cable included.
Supports Five Lossless Audio Formats including APE, FLAC, ALAC, WAV, and WMA.

UK link:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/FiiO-X3-Portabl ... 00DQBWY04/
spunder
Known user

Post by spunder »

niamhm wrote:
Being honest I`d never heard of those Sansa -Clip players before, but teamed up with a decent memory card, that looks a very cost efficient way to go,
not just cost efficient they sound bluddy amazing to my ears. also you can circumnavigate EU vol. laws and it can be rockboxed. i had my sansa epiphany earlier this year, i cannot praise them enough lol
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

not just cost efficient they sound bluddy amazing to my ears. also you can circumnavigate EU vol. laws and it can be rockboxed.

yes, put the location to north america- and unlike iStuff it won't come up with 'LIAR! YOU ARE IN YOUR BATH IN BEDFORD WITH TWELVE BUBBLES LEFT AND A NASTY RASH!'

runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Bloody hell - try and find a 160GB iPod now! Been all over Yorkshire and the web and they apparently are impossible to find - with people taking the piss on prices now. I saw one on the web for £999!
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

runcible wrote:Bloody hell - try and find a 160GB iPod now! Been all over Yorkshire and the web and they apparently are impossible to find - with people taking the piss on prices now. I saw one on the web for £999!
Woah! I thought it might be a couple of weeks or something, over priced ones were available 2/3 days ago , but now there gone?
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Classic case of economics of supply and demand. No supply = greater demand. As I posted earlier I thought they would sell out quickly and it wouldn't be a bad idea to buy one for a reserve. At my local electronics store they still have the silver 160gb stocked for $249.00. I'm going to buy it on Monday.
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

or buy a few and make a killing :wink: :P

runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

spacemanrich wrote: At my local electronics store they still have the silver 160gb stocked for $249.00. I'm going to buy it on Monday.
Apple mercilessly rip off the UK. New 160GB iPods are meant to be £200 here - way more than in the US. And look at iPhones - these cost a fraction in the US compared to the UK.

I'm fast going off this company. Has the U2 stunt gone down as badly in America as it has over here?
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Multiple media news sites had tips on how to remove the album. Just found out that Apple paid U2 $100 million dollars for the "free" album and an appearance in the unveiling of iphone6 last week !
burningwheel
Known user

Post by burningwheel »

I saw some on amazon uk for reason price, or what think is reasonable
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

burningwheel wrote:I saw some on amazon uk for reason price, or what think is reasonable
Where? I don't think so. One look today lists them at about £320+ but only from the market place. None from Amazon itself.

They are listed all over the web but you can't actually buy one. Try ordering one. Not available.
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

I ended up not getting one. Didn't need one, still have an 80gb with about 30gb left. Could have bought one and saved it for the future ? All sold out in the U.S. for electronic stores, but on sale on Amazon for $400.00 and up.

I needed another external hard drive (portable) more than an ipod. I have a 1tb (terabyte) Western Digital hard drive and it is almost maxed out ! I was going to buy another 2tb WD hard drive for $99.00, but they had a 4tb for $149.00. $49 bucks more for double the capacity and I ended up getting that.