"CAROL for ANOTHER CHRISTMAS" c. 1962 Dec. 28th

For anything else...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, spzretent, MODLAB, NightWash

semisynthetic
Known user

"CAROL for ANOTHER CHRISTMAS" c. 1962 Dec. 28th

Post by semisynthetic »

I've written this on an IPhone, so please excuse the mistakes.
This Holiday Season is filled with Films and Music, but I had the chance to watch something so extraordinary, I wanted to share it with you in case you had a chance to watch this remarkable film.

Last night I had the pleasure of watching a TV Program which, prior to tonight, had been played only once, commercial free, on Dec. 28th, 1962.

It is a take on Dickens; this version was written by Rod Serling; and starred a number of wonderful, well known actors and faces, including Peter Sellers, who after finishing Dr. STRANGELOVE, joined with the main character of the program he worked with in STRANGELOVE, played by Sterling Hayden, this time playing a retired Navy Officer mourning yet another Christmas Eve and the loss of his son; Hayden's extremely narrow minded viewpoints are torn down systematically in the story, which has a number of Twilight Zone Meets A Christmas Carol; like so much that is very well written and appeals to the nature of Humankind; particularly our frailties and the Dreams we reach hard to pull into Reality, it is most remarkably TIMELY.

I watched "CAROL for ANOTHER CHRISTMAS" on the TCM Channel in the USA; I am not certain if it can be purchased, but I will try to obtain a copy of this program that first aired commercial free; and was shown again without interruption; unfortunately, it may be difficult to assign ownership, and perhaps be nearly impossible to obtain commercially. IF you should see it listed, most likely on the TCM Channel, I certainly do recommend watching this one; the writing is exceptional, and Mr. Serling's touch is most clear; as is the story that is conveyed by him. War, Death and the Ultimate Destruction of the Human Race is discussed during an era that, as children, we learned to "duck and cover"; then cross your legs, put your hands on your head, and kiss your ass goodbye. About once a month, the klaxon called the gradeschool I was in to practice this ritual of how our ashes would be found; this program was absolutely brilliant and showed clearly the cruelty, insanity, and Eternal Hope; but in this version, there is no designated Tiny Tim.

With That,
I WISH YOU ALL
A VERY MERRY CHRISTMAS, HANNUKA or other HOLIDAY, and a very bright NEW YEAR.
semi
semisynthetic
Known user

Re: "CAROL for ANOTHER CHRISTMAS" c. 1962 Dec. 28th

Post by semisynthetic »

SORRY, I meant to write "1964" not 1962.
Whoops.
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

i want to rewatch dr strangelove now!

“You're not Dostoevsky,' said the citizeness

'Well, who knows, who knows,' he replied.

'Dostoevsky's dead,' said the citizeness, but somehow not very confidently.

'I protest!' Behemoth exclaimed hotly. 'Dostoevsky is immortal!”
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

I was surprised, in this, one of my favorite Kubrik / Peter Sellers films, that Peter Bull, the Russian ambassador, begins to visibly crack up while "Dr. Strangelove" battles with his mind-of-its-own hand. Apparently Kubrik thought is was alright; I tend to think if it was any other film, that scene would have been reshot.

It IS very funny, and a great dark comedy.