Redundant

For anything else...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, spzretent, MODLAB, NightWash

James T
Known user

Redundant

Post by James T »

So... After 5 years in my current place of work (I'm only 26, so that is a shit load of years to a me), I am to be made redundant as of the last of this month. I've got a pleasant enough package to take with me upon leaving, but I really kinda need a job to go into within the next 2 months.

Anyone else had a redundancy experience? I think it could be one of the most exciting opportunities I've had, having now gained a lot of great experience to move into a good role elsewhere, and also to have a bit of money to do something potentially interesting.
runcible
Site Admin

Re: Redundant

Post by runcible »

Sorry to hear that James. Never easy.

I was made redundant in 2002 when the 4 branch wine shop chain I worked for went tits up. It was about 2 weeks before Christmas and I got the phone call telling me I had one month's notice. Pretty poor timing. I ended up having to fight for my redundancy money and it almost went to court - but that was only because my old boss was being an arse, then at the last minute he paid up.

Generally things work better than that as you can claim redundancy money which - at least back in 2002 - the government can assist with.

Good luck!
rameses
Known user

Post by rameses »

I had a similar experience a few years ago and initially I found the prospect quite daunting. The best thing I did was sign up with a temp agency just to make sure I had a bit of steady income while looking for a permanent job. The jobs were a bit tedious (office admin type stuff) but at least it maintained a bit of social interaction.

Good luck and I hope you're gainfully employed again soon.
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

I was made redundant in 2010 after 10 years of working for a big multi-international company. The head honchos came over from the States and assured us that we'd won the renewed contract for the main business we did and that everything was rosy and our jobs were safe. We had been help set up a factory in Poland to run along side us to help ensure the capacity was met for the renewed contract but, sure enough, we were simply setting up the Polish factory so they could close us down. Was deeply disappointed that it came to that as i thought we were doing well holding our own. Can't blame the Polish workers as they were all really nice people and good to work with, but those bastards that came over from the US and lied to us... i'd still happily knock fuck out of them!

Redundancy package was good and was much better than the standard government minimum. I got about a years salary out of it so had no real pressure to have a job lined up for leaving. I did manage to get a couple of contract jobs that covered another 4 months of work before i finally found myself without a job. I applied for about 8 jobs or so within those 4 months and had probably 3-4 interviews. The last interview i had landed me my current job which i was able to start after a planned holiday so i was lucky in that sense.

My background is in IT, software development and manufacturing control software. There is a reasonable market out there for my skills so i was able to look at a reasonable cross section of work when i was searching. I did find it useful to get my details and CV up onto these job searching websites as i was able to view a variety of jobs quickly each day on the daily emails that they sent out. I applied for all that i felt i could do and didn't over-reach myself as i knew i'd just get caught out at the interview stage!

Was never quite at the stage where i feel like i was panicking about money but i had started looking at pretty much any job that i found (Asda, Tesco, warehouse work, etc) in the off chance that something didn't come up.I went along to the Dole office and signed up. I gave them my CV and they agreed that i would probably struggle to find anything through them, but i had to prove that i was actively looking on each of my two-week visits. I think i was there twice and the second time was to tell them i wanted to sign off. I got a about £100 in job seekers money in total but did make the most of my free health care during that time (dentist, opticians, etc) as i knew that wouldn't last.

I went from working for a 400-man site for a multi-international company to a company that has 13 employees and i couldn't be happier. I took a 20% pay cut when i started here but the ease of travel and the good working atmosphere made it a much better prospect than chasing the big money again.

I hope something suitable comes along James and that its not too long for you either! Best of luck!
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

I have about 4 months wage to take with me, but I'm hoping I can find something before I even finish here at the end of the month. I did think about taking a break, but it seems silly. If I can find something quick though I will maybe try to plan a really great holiday I previously couldn't afford. Considering looking for work outside of Manchester too, decisions to make.
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

Good luck I hope everything works out for you.
'Remember, change is not good'
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

I'm sorry to hear about this James. Don't take a break - your job search might take longer than anticipated and I don't know about the economic environment in the U.K.. Best of luck.
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

Spread your wings.

You can do anything.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
Hedspace
Known user

Post by Hedspace »

Cut loose situations 99% of the time work out for the best. Similar story to Laz69, IT company > New office opened up in Belfast, informed us all was well and no cause for concern. Everyone smelt Denmark and again they even had the gall to ask us to train up the Belfast crew before shutting the Dublin department down. The training didn’t happen. That led to redundancy where I thought, do I really want to jump straight back into the 9 to 5. A perfect opportunity to defrag. Planned a route through far off climes and while doing so partook in a photography course so the snaps that came back with me weren’t as sh*t as they normally would be. Cheap places where the money would stretch, those places a lot of the time being the most beautiful. Places I would never get to on a 2 week break. Some if it near killed me but it was well worth it. Corny as it all sounds, that sh*t never leaves you whereas employment willfully fades off into the grey.

Mazin!

Best of luck!

semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

I am sorry to read that you are having troubles; it is not fun and it's hard to say much of any benefit; yet I know from my own experience that my next job was almost always better than the one before; and in time, everything improved; I most certainly hope the same experience awaits you, and Good Luck.

semi
"Everything is a Poison; it is the amount or degree that separates one Poison from another"
Paracelsus
PopeJez
Known user

Post by PopeJez »

I was made redundant after 23 (yep, count them) years at Aon. Took me 6 months to find a new job but had a decent package to tide me over. My new role is just fantastic. The entire process is a rollercoaster of emotions. All the best.
Dreamweapon
Known user

Post by Dreamweapon »

Something else I can empathise with too, so GENUINELY wish you all the best with this. It sounds like you are thinking really pragmatically about it, and are really lucky to be able to come away with some money too.

When it happened to me (unfortunately on more than one occasion too), I just jumped into the first thing I was offered to keep myself employed. I was too anxious about holding out to find something that I really wanted to do. I've bounced around ina few jobs since, but am now also really happy in my current role. Yes, the commute can be a pain at times, but I work with a nice bunch of people, I enjoy my work, and get recognition from the public and from colleagues for what I do too.

I really hope things work out for you on whatever level you want them to (let's face it, most of us spend more time at work than we do outside work), and you find something soon that you're happy doing, or at least not unhappy doing. Sending you and wishing you all the very best.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

You're all a lovely bunch.

I've applied for a lot of stuff, as I decided it's best to move into something quickly so I can enjoy the money and pay off some things. I've even applied for a couple of roles abroad in Belgium, but I think it will be a few years before I can feasibly make the move to Brussels as is planned for the future.

Lets see what happens, I hope for a better role somewhere but would be happy to move sideways FOR NOW at least.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Redundant

Post by BzaInSpace »

These things usually happen for a reason - as cliched and irritating it feels at the time. I'm glad to see the consensus here has been overwhelmingly positive: the old idea of a career for life is not always true.

I found myself out of work about five years ago, and at the time it was pure apocalyptic, scrabbling for pennies horror. However, if this hadn't happened I'd undoubtedly still be working for a company and in a job I despise, stressed to the max, and probably engaged in all kinds of substance abuse to cope.

Instead I've found myself studying and working in an area I truly love and enjoy and I'm actually good at - even if I say so myself. The grades so far have been good anyway. The point is, I could never have seen myself working in this kind of environment even a short time ago, yet it's fantastic.

Challenging, yes. Underpaid - absolutely. But I walk out each shift with a feeling of satisfaction and despite everything work-related stresses are very rare. And for me, that's incredibly valuable.

Anyway James - good luck, but I think you'll be fine...
O P 8
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

So I left work Wednesday (i booked the end of the week off) and I had my first job interview today, they offered me the job already! Worked out great, got a nice package to spend on records now..

Thanks for being nice everyone. You're right, it's a good thing.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Nice one - hope it's a good move. All the best JT...
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

nice one James, glad you've landed on your feet so quickly.
I've never been made redundant (luckily) but it's taken me by now (in my 30s) to get a job that pays my way and that I also find interesting. I often think that perhaps getting made redundant might have given me the kick up the arse I needed to get out of a rut.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

That's exactly what I think. I've found a better job with better pay, and got my package to take with me to pay off everything I need to, and also to treat myself.
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Great news, James ! Now you don't have to move and you can keep your season tickets. :o
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

That is a nice bit of news James. Congrats
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
Dreamweapon
Known user

Post by Dreamweapon »

Really happy for you James that you managed to get yourself sorted, and doing something that you seem happy doing too. What is it if you don't mind the enquiry? I know you do your gig promting as well, and run the Dots and Loops evenings, but what's the main job?

Also got me thinking of another insight into board members on what everyone does, if that's not infringing privacy. Naturally mods, if this is overstepping the mark, then I fully apologise. If no one wants to answer, then no probs....
Last edited by Dreamweapon on Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Yeah, excellent news... Nice one!
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

I'm a Contracts manager for a Flooring Contractors, been doing this since I left college (1996), so I think I know what I'm doing now !!
Dreamweapon
Known user

Post by Dreamweapon »

Guess I should have put mine down since I opened this area of the topic...

I work for the Open University.
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

James T wrote:So I left work Wednesday (i booked the end of the week off) and I had my first job interview today, they offered me the job already! Worked out great, got a nice package to spend on records now..

Thanks for being nice everyone. You're right, it's a good thing.
Great news very pleased for you :D
'Remember, change is not good'
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Former Psychonaut now Undertaker here. Occasional stand in pirate too...
O P 8
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Dreamweapon wrote: Also got me thinking of another insight intop board members on what everyone does, if that's not infringing privacy. Naturally mods, if this is overstepping the mark, then I fully apologise. If no one wants to answer, then no probs....
I manage a syndicate of 150 streetcorner beggars. You know the ones with the signs and plastic red cups.
On weekends I am a rodeo clown.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Started out as a software developer for a few multinational corporations, moving up through the rankings to become a business systems analyst before eventually joining a small band of mercenaries who have design and sell their own production control software which is used all over the UK and Ireland.... i have no dress code at my work.. its perfect.
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

I started off as an apprentice engineer making massive diesel engines in Daventry, a crap town near Rugby. finished that and went to university on Liverpool. got a graduate IT job when I finished. had a good few years there but then went through the whole outsourcing offshoring thing and managed teams in India but after a few years it got laborious so I took redundancy and the opportunity to do something different.

I now work with my Dad in a glass consultancy business. I sit in my cellar we talk on Skype. i cycle the kids to and from school each day. it is perfect.

So yes redundancy was a positive step for me. glad it's worked out for you James T.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

I work in Social Media marketing, not a real grafters job!
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

I'm a builder/labourer/general dogsbody during the day and now a record label owner in my spare time. Its a bit of a juggling act to be honest and there never seems to be enough hours in the day especially with a wife and 2 year old son to entertain too!
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Shinesalight wrote:I'm a builder/labourer/general dogsbody during the day and now a record label owner in my spare time. Its a bit of a juggling act to be honest and there never seems to be enough hours in the day especially with a wife and 2 year old son to entertain too!
Have you posted those records out yet? Stop fannying around man! Don't let work and family get it the way of what is important!

:D
heisenberg
Known user

Post by heisenberg »

I really want to try a career change (or more specifically, escape my terrible current job/sector). But I don't know exactly what I want to do, and I've no idea how I'd pay bills/rent etc if I was a student or no longer working full-time.

Anyone got any experiences of something similar to my situation?