Happy Xmas (or whatever you choose to celebrate, or not!)

For anything else...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, spzretent, MODLAB, NightWash

Dreamweapon
Known user

Post by Dreamweapon »

After a very trying year, some of you in particular here have been IMMENSELY supportive in lending an ear when I’ve needed it, asking about my son's progress with his health. We've also since had other significant difficult, challenging and upsetting circumstances we’ve had to take on this year as a family.

We had another fairly grim experience on Friday last week in hospital which included a quite scary experience waiting for the all clear from the Burns and Plastics Team after a mishap with an anaesthetic, but did get the all clear afterwards – he’s sore but OK!

A further 10-12 months minimum of weekly chemotherapy awaits, with another 4ish scans as well as further tests to see where everything’s heading, along with all the other teams he has to see.

On top of that, I’ve also got to go into hospital on Xmas Eve to ensure I don’t have a detached retina!!!

Anyway, just really wanted to say a MASSIVE thank you to everyone for all their kindness this year on so many different levels, and whether you’re hammering the overtime at work over Xmas, being with family and/or friends or whatever else, have a great one and a happy, healthy, and peaceful 2016!

Thank you to the board for being a great place to find friends, get advice, music, and just read what people are talking about. You're all fantastic!
Laz69
Known user

Re: Happy Xmas (or whatever you choose to celebrate, or not!

Post by Laz69 »

I have to say that this year has been one of the most difficult for me and my family too, but clearly not to the same extent as Dreamweapon, so i ain't gonna complain too much as its doesn't seem right in the grand scheme of things. Dreamweapon, i'm sending my most positive vibes your way and hope things start to get a little lighter and brighter in your and yours lives.

For me, its been another good year for music. So much so, i'm struggling to put together a list of all the great albums i've picked up this year. Carlton Melton, Wand, Fuzz, TVAM, Dead Sea Apes, Evening Fires and Godspeed! You Black Emperor to name just a few. My recent toe-dipping into Miles Davis has started positively, so thats all good and i've seen some great gigs this year too; not as many as i'd like as usual, but some great shows nonetheless.

More than anything, i'm just looking forward to a bit of a break with the family. Our Florida adventure this year was easily one of or highlights, but the fun, experiences and excitement doesn't quite compare to a genuine rest sometimes, which is what i'm hoping to get most out of the next two weeks.

So, to one and all, i wish you all a happy, restful, peaceful yet fun-filled festive period.

Mucho love

James
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

Yes.
Here's to much better tidings for everyone in 2016.
xox
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Dreamweapon, Laz, Ro and well everyone.
Here is to hoping 2016 is a year of better health, wealth, luck and music.
Good thoughts and vibes going out to you all.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

I hope you all have a lovely festive period.

Personally, I can't wait to see the back of this year. When your health, the health of immediate family, and your job all desert you; you would hope your long term partner would at least see fit to hang around.. Maybe not though eh? Thankfully I have some fantastic friends who I have made through this very site who have helped me through, which says a lot about the place. Always grateful for this.

Much love to you all and anyone who has also had a terrible year. Sure people go through worse and better, but we all struggle in our own ways.
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

My first thoughts are it CAN't BE 2016 in just a few days. This was a Sinusoidal, Roller Coaster year, but I am thinking REALLY HARD about how great The New Year will be!

Dreamweapon, I am all to familiar with assorted Chemotherapeutics. None taste great or feel all that wonderful, but the improvements, technologically, are light years beyond what was available 20 years ago. It is a weird irony for me that I spent so much of my life in Academia and Research; structures of all manner of Medicinal Compounds I once drew on the board or created for Papers I found I was taking myself! They are
less horrible, as a rule, and more specific in action than in the past, and most are genuinely reliable, despite the side affects - depending upon the substance. But I do feel for you in your situation, but as one of my favorite High School Chemistry Teachers had engraved upon a plaque over her desk, "This Too Shall Pass".
I will be thinking of you and yours.

MERRY CHRISTMAS 2015(?) and A VERY HAPPY NEW YEAR! I mean this for every single one of you on this Wonderful SITE; so much Music, and learning something about people who might think very differently than you or I; it is all ultimately a Great Experience, and I would certainly thank one of my favorite Musicians, Jason Pierce, for providing us this Forum for exchange of Ideas and sharing of music and other thoughts.

Please Take Care, I won't be driving, but other crazy people will - so do watch out. I hope that we all will have a great year, even just a better year than 2015 may have been; except for Marrying a very Beautiful Young Lady, I just did not get much done last year, Truly.
"Everything is a Poison; it is the amount or degree that separates one Poison from another"
Paracelsus
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

I hope everyone who has had a challenging 2015 will go onto a better and healthier 2016. My thoughts are with you all.

Personally I've had a pretty decent year. Moving house, various family moving into the area, my eldest starting university, plus various other highlights. This has happened at the expense of music for some reason as this year is the first where I feel I have lost track of the music I like and a lot of new bands. I didn't bother with a 'best of 2015' list as there is very little on it!

So seasonal greetings to everyone. A slice of festive cheer to you all and a glass of something nice. In my case Madeira if at all possible...
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

Yep, I can only echo everything that's been said here. As alluded to elsewhere, 2015 has proved pretty rubbish for my wife and I, and although things have improved a bit these last few months, the future is looking hugely uncertain at best and in all likelihood rather grim. My thoughts are with you Dreamweapon, James, Laz, semi and anyone else who's endured a rotten year, and of course they're with everybody else as well. Merry holidays to you all, and a toast to better days ahead :D
Dreamweapon
Known user

Post by Dreamweapon »

In response to my initial post, I'd like to say another HUGE thank you to you all. The feedback that people have just left in their initial replies not just to me but to everyone makes me realise that although we're not physically all here together, the "virtual" nature of the messageboard still shows how nice humanity can be. So thank you for the not virtual but actual lump to the throat and being thoroughly nice people.

I'm not making out for one moment that any of us are "worse" off than anyone else. Rubbish is rubbish and is unique to everyone's individual circumstances. Anyone else who is going through the proverbial "mill" with life at the moment, you also have my sympathies and warmest wishes that something at least vaguely nice, particularly at this time of year, can put a little light and warmth into your hearts and lives.

Had a phonecall yesterday from my wife while she was at hospital with our son - whereas we have to wait until next week for a more in depth report, it does appear that the first 12 months of chemo have had some positive results, and one of his 2 brain tumours appears to be shrinking (the one affecting his eyesight). We'll have to wait also for details on the other one on the base of his cerebellum and also the base of his spine, but good things can happen.

As I mentioned, other circumstances are still fairly grim, and I don't want to go into detail out of respect for the individuals concerned, but also wanted to post some happiness on the board too.

You're all a bunch of thoroughly decent, lovely people.

Merry Xmas again to one and all, and all the best for 2016.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Man, there are so many sad stories on here that I'm almost embarrassed to say that 2015 was a good year for me. Being encouraged to start up a record label by my wife has led to me to put out 2 records that I'm really proud of and meet (virtually and actually) some great people. Looking forward to what 2016 brings.

I wish everyone on here a fantastic Christmas, especially to those who have had a horrid time of it. This message board really is a special place and it speaks volumes that relative strangers feel comfortable to tell their tales with such emotion and show such bravery in adverse situations. Sometimes the internet, and life in general, can be a nasty place but I like to think of this forum as an exception to that.

Keep on keeping on everyone. Have a great Christmas and I hope 2016 proves to be a great year for you all.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

Yep echo all sentiments on this thread. I cant really complain (my wife can !!) Been a good year both musically and professionally, hopefully with a house move in the not too distant future. When Chief Brody came out with those immortal lines "we're gonna need a bigger boat" I think he had just been in my music room!
I hope dreamweapon et all have a far easier time of things in the New Year and I think should he(or anyone) need to vent on here they would be welcomed, the community as small as it is is lovely gang of people and I'm lucky to have forged excellent friendships with many of you.
Have a super xmas and New Year and I will see some of you pretty soon no doubt
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Farewell to 2015, which was a year of brief peaks and deep troughs for me. I'm not usually one for NYE but in this case I'm hoping for a slightly less bumpy ride for one and all. 2016 is shaping up to be a decent year for music (The Heads are active, Jason might be, and as for Sonic :roll: ). On the gig front I'm already looking forward to a busy schedule culminating with my annual Basil Fawlty routine in September. From a personal point of view, work has me in Australia until mid-February so a good time is almost guaranteed.

All the best to everyone for the next 12 months, may your Highs be epic, your Lows be brief and all your blows be Heavenly. :wink:
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Shinesalight wrote:Being encouraged to start up a record label by my wife has led to me to put out 2 records that I'm really proud of and meet (virtually and actually) some great people.
Your little label has had two great releases so far. Certainly can't have too many great, passionate and dedicated labels willing to put their heart and soul into their releases.

p.s. Did you ever make any headway in getting copies of Kill West's debut to distribute over here?
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

olan wrote:...and all your blows be Heavenly. :wink:
Just as well i know a hooker named Heavenly... :lol: :lol:
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Laz69 wrote:Your little label has had two great releases so far. Certainly can't have too many great, passionate and dedicated labels willing to put their heart and soul into their releases.

p.s. Did you ever make any headway in getting copies of Kill West's debut to distribute over here?
Thanks Laz, that means a lot. As for the Kill West album, I approached the label they released it on, Echo Drug Records, but they weren't having any of it. I'm hoping to buy one off the band themselves when they get them. Talking of which, they messaged me the other day asking for help with European tour promoters. They are hoping to to come over and tour in the New Year :D 8)
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Merry Christmas and best wishes to all. A lot of heartbreaking stuff here and the last post from MC about his wife was particularly moving, Dreamweapon, Laz, semi and James' too - all the best positive energy, love and light to you all.

Me?

I had the shittest year I can remember, ended thankfully on a beautiful Xmas day with my amazing children and a great dinner with pals, but having the shit kicked out of me on Xmas eve was another low point to a year packed with them: death, divorce, depression and fucking up academically was a brutal combo at times.

BUT - I'm alive and thankful . There has been so much good music this year that has lifted and elevated me - Kendrick Lamar is the fucking man - and my sole holiday to Leeds to meet my friends and topped with an incredible gig by Spiritualized (gig report overdue!) was a particular highlight.

Much love to you all, like Ro this is my favourite boat on the digital sea and despite my harshness and unforgiving tone at times (sorry for everyone I've infuriated this year) I love you all and this place is far more than just a band forum isn't it.

Again, very best wishes to you all and your families -

BARRY XX

PS: Laz's note about Heavenly cheered me right up! Haha...
O P 8
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

BzaInSpace wrote:
PS: Laz's note about Heavenly cheered me right up! Haha...
You're welcome. And best wishes and positivity for 2016! We can only ever look onwards and upwards!
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

a belated Merry Christmas from me and all the best for 2016 to everyone on the friendliest and most knowledgeable message board around!