Turkish Military Coup Attempts to oust Pres Erdagan

For anything else...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, spzretent, MODLAB, NightWash

semisynthetic
Known user

Turkish Military Coup Attempts to oust Pres Erdagan

Post by semisynthetic »

1:23am Istanbul and Ankara

Apparently having enough of now former President Erdagan, whose Islamist leanings were finally too much; this Authoritarian Leader who had systematically taken too much power from the balance in Turkey is in the process of being removed from office.
-MARTIAL LAW DECLARED IN TURKEY-

Turkey has been a secular Nation for 100 years, and each time a Leader has gone "too far", the Turkish Military seizes control.

Turkey is a NATO Ally.

Currently, the Government is "not saying" where President Erdagan is; he is supposedly on vacation. If the Military FAILS, President Erdagan is expected to become even more brutal, and possibly attempt to change the secular nation to an Islamic State.

No one can say at this hour how this will end.

Addendum:
In an interesting discussion with a former Intel Chief and CIA Head, who has had extensive and "very positive and helpful workings" with the Turkish Military, and with the caviat that he is NOT disposed to "conspiracy theories", he said, "nevertheless I have heard from reliable people that they believe this was essentially a FAKE COUP, to allow Erdagan to gain even more power and more easily dispose of enemies within". It is an interesting thought, for about 30 minutes later, the President returned from the Black Sea Vacation(?) to a Television Station taken over by members of the Coup - or so they said, and Erdagan made a speech decrying the action and how "those responsible will be punished accordingly". I hope that this bit of apparent "espionage story telling" was just that, without any truth to it; but there is little doubt that if Erdagan stays, Turkey may be in for severe changes.
"Everything is a Poison; it is the amount or degree that separates one Poison from another"
Paracelsus
jack white
Known user

Re: Turkish Military Coup Attempts to oust Pres Erdagan

Post by jack white »

Yea I'm not one for conspiracy theories but this is suspicious.

It's terrible, & increasingly dangerous. Erdogan consolidating more power is very distressing. Turkey is in an ever increasing worryingly, escalating situation. He represents a danger to all of us, has done for years now with the direction he's taking/taken the country.

The world seems a very dangerous place again. Openly barbaric acts perpetrated by evil men. There's no end in sight. Now's no time to apportion blame, now's the time for definite solutions. I don't think that will ever happen in my life time. Too many people seem to profit from inflicting misery (by misery I mean whatever bastardized form of religion they proclaim to believe in) on others.

It always makes me think of evolution & how little distance some people have come. Minds are so easily twisted & so difficult to untangle, that you're left with not many solutions but more of the same..

It's been another horrible few days.
Last edited by jack white on Sat Jul 16, 2016 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

don't worry, boris johnson is now forigen secretary!
“You're not Dostoevsky,' said the citizeness

'Well, who knows, who knows,' he replied.

'Dostoevsky's dead,' said the citizeness, but somehow not very confidently.

'I protest!' Behemoth exclaimed hotly. 'Dostoevsky is immortal!”
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

The purge is underway.

It's like the goddamn Middle Ages out there. Or the 1930's.
I thought things like this were consigned to history books.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

jack white wrote:The purge is underway.

I have long thought that about the ONLY real change in the last few hundred thousand years is that we now have more Copper Wire than ever before.

There are always a very few people who give a sense of being "evolved"; who transcend the norm, and learn from errors of the Past, and who help create the illusion that Mankind has likewise evolved. This is, of course an illusion to hang onto as a reality. The human animal is simply that; evolved only in his ability to create wanton destruction and somehow remain just above the lowliest of creatures.

Surely I wish that all of the varied advances of Mankind meant more; but, unfortunately too many of our species remain as backward as ever; with force and greed and raw power as the ultimate currency of survival.

It may be that little by little we advance, or at least appear to advance, but with the passage of Time, all of these gadgets and algorithms mean nothing - for if the electricity should go out, our advances too will go right out of the window, and we are returned to the Middle Ages; the 1930's WAS the Middle Ages with enforced fascist discipline and the lowliest of humanity; the same humanity that marks our current Global state of evolution.

Even with a lot of pointless talk to help create the illusion of a better, more informed enlightened and "Advanced" World, we will still crouch in the dark with a Long Knife to help us survive 'til dawn and fight again for scraps from the more powerful among us.

Despite it all, I STILL want very much to believe we can and will ultimately achieve in mind and in heart and in an innate kindness and awareness as the norm; to grow so far beyond what we THINK we are Now, and finally achieve such a lasting civilization that is as from a Dream of the Greatest Ancients; but I know we have a long time before we as a species awaken to that Dream.
"Everything is a Poison; it is the amount or degree that separates one Poison from another"
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

jack white wrote:The purge is underway.

The latest numbers, from every level of the Military, Courts, assorted Government Offices, even well known Journalists, totals >20,000 people incarcerated, detained, or under House Arrest. Meanwhile, the Islamist factions Imams and "ordinary people" in the streets considering the "traitors", chant for the Death Penalty, on which Erdagan commented, "in a Democracy you must do what the people want". EU Ministers and a number of European governments pushed back, while Erdagan threatened to "unleash 2 Million Syrian Refugees" onward to cause problems in Europe. The Turkish "President" does not seem at this point to be terribly worried about any threatened intervention in what he has planned.

The "Fake Coup" idea, which when I first heard of it seemed more of an academic thought exercise, gained favor as more of a real possibility, with enormous arrest lists already found prepared before the "Coup". Very Dark Days ahead in the region I'm sad to say, and is complicated by Turkey having membership in NATO.
Paracelsus