Shop returns policy for faulty vinyl

For anything else...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, spzretent, MODLAB, NightWash

johnnyboy
Known user

Shop returns policy for faulty vinyl

Post by johnnyboy »

An interesting/frustrating situation is going on for me at the moment with Transmission Records http://transmissionrecords.co.uk/ based in Margate, UK. I bought a copy of the Neon Demon soundtrack on double vinyl and one of the discs is a bad pressing, too much surface noise and a horrible scraping sound on some tracks. I emailed them straight away to start a refund/exchange process only to be told that they have to email the distributor first before letting me know.

Strange process?

I emailed back saying that I bought the record from Transmission and not direct from the distributor so why should I have to wait to see what they tell them first? Almost every other shop, ie: Norman Records, accepts that the record is not up to scratch, asks the customer to return it and then a refund is processed. Transmission replied saying that because the record is faulty they have to see what the distributor says first.

Some more back and forth has happened but that seems their bottom line, buy a bad pressing from them then wait over a week to see what their email comms to the distributor amounts to. Such a frustrating set up, or is the norm and I'm missing something? I likened it to me buying a pair of Levi jeans from an outlet store, found they were faulty, took them back for a refund, then get told they have to email Levi first to see what they say and they'll let me know, I then go home, keep the jeans in a bag awaiting a yes/no from Levi.

Frustrating is the word and there's no way I'll ever buy a record from them again.

Anyone had similar experience or can offer a bit of retail advice here?
olan
Known user

Re: Shop returns policy for faulty vinyl

Post by olan »

If you bought it mail order the distance selling regulations are your friend. A quick Google gives a load of links, this one seemed OK: http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/ ... egulations. You can return it whether it is faulty or not. Alternatively, if you bought it with a credit card you can dispute the payment, particularly if you have the email exchange saved to back up your case. Finally, if you bought it directly from them you can do two things (i) demand a refund or credit and (ii) choose not to use them again if they are a pain in the arse about doing the correct thing.

My local store, Probe in Liverpool, is very proactive about sorting out returns. I bought a load of LPs one afternoon, including 'Seasons of your Day' by Mazzy Star. It turns out that everybody got 2 copies of the A/B record and ) of the C/D but Probe rang me to tell me to return it for refund, credit or replacement. I hadn't noticed the error as I had not played the record before they rang me. I would expect a similar level of service from an independent store, otherwise they will likely go bust in the face of better service from the on-line competition.
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

olan wrote:If you bought it mail order the distance selling regulations are your friend. A quick Google gives a load of links, this one seemed OK: http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/ ... egulations. You can return it whether it is faulty or not. Alternatively, if you bought it with a credit card you can dispute the payment, particularly if you have the email exchange saved to back up your case. Finally, if you bought it directly from them you can do two things (i) demand a refund or credit and (ii) choose not to use them again if they are a pain in the arse about doing the correct thing.

My local store, Probe in Liverpool, is very proactive about sorting out returns. I bought a load of LPs one afternoon, including 'Seasons of your Day' by Mazzy Star. It turns out that everybody got 2 copies of the A/B record and ) of the C/D but Probe rang me to tell me to return it for refund, credit or replacement. I hadn't noticed the error as I had not played the record before they rang me. I would expect a similar level of service from an independent store, otherwise they will likely go bust in the face of better service from the on-line competition.
Cheers Olan, most helpful. It was bought mail order so that's a good link to have, will give it a read through then pop them another email. Transmission are being a massive pain in the arse about it so I won't be using them again in the future at all. I've never ever had it before where a shop tells me to wit until they contact the distributor. That side of it isn't my problem is it, I bought it from Transmission, but this is the point which they really do not understand. Their replies have been one or two lines, just saying I need to wait and they'll let me know. I really can't see what they're expecting to hear back. The record is faulty, end of, a refund is needed.

Shops like Norman Records, who I use online, and my own local independent stores are a dream compared to this. They refund or exchange with no fuss or delay whatsoever.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

No problem. Get it back to Transmission pronto. There is a 7 day grace period under the distance selling regulations. They are required to refund any costs.

Otherwise, open a PayPal or Credit Card dispute to cover yourself.
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

UPDATE - just had this pop up in my email. All solved now but they still don't really get the "returns policy" system do they. It took a week of me sending emails, getting more and more frustrated, before they said what should've been said over a week ago, ie: please return for a refund.

Hello John,

i understand it is both frustrating for us too having to wait for a response.

Please return your item for a refund as i do not wish for you to feel distress waiting.

TRANSMISSION
105 NORTHDOWN ROAD
MARGATE
KENT
CT9 2QY

Kind regards

(I'm beginning to feel like a grumpy old man these days.......)
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

I must say this Transmission Records sound ridiculous. Even that last email was patronizing.
I sell loads of records on line. Occasionally records turn up dented or broken. All I ask is for a photo. If the photo is sent I refund in full.
On another subject I have started reinforcing all 4 seams and corners on more expensive LPs to avoid this.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

johnnyboy wrote: (I'm beginning to feel like a grumpy old man these days.......)
You are not the only one. I returned a bunch of records to Amazon because they had simply slapped an address stick on the shrink wrap and mailed them to me. All the covers were knackered. The replacements were all sent in a poorly sized box so were similarly knackered, and went back. Third time around everything was as it should be. :evil: I hope all the previous records didn't go into landfill. I was in full Victor Meldrew mode when the second batch arrived...... :lol:
spzretent wrote:I must say this Transmission Records sound ridiculous. Even that last email was patronizing.
I sell loads of records on line. Occasionally records turn up dented or broken. All I ask is for a photo. If the photo is sent I refund in full.
On another subject I have started reinforcing all 4 seams and corners on more expensive LPs to avoid this.
Yep, this is the way it should be. It is a shame the shipping costs to and from the UK escalated to such an extent, otherwise I presume there would be loads of us over here ordering from you. Hope all is well Alan.
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

Phew, glad it's not just me then! Transmission have now actually refunded in full and have said there is no rush sending the faulty record back, just to take my time with it. I guess after a week of emails they realised how pissed off I was, or maybe they thought I could easily go online and slate their service or give a bad review, which I was going to do anyway. Ridiculous set up really which is surprising seeing as the shop was set up by an ex-Rough Trade employee and man behind Death Waltz records who do all the film soundtrack reissues. I guess the surge in love for vinyl has it's downside, places get sloppy, pressings can be bad etc etc.

Us collectors and fans of a decent bit of vinyl can come across as fussy but it's a basic need and basic right to have something delivered properly and for a record not to be covered with crappy surface noise. Really puts me off buying it all sometimes as it can be a right pain.

Anyways, gotta dash to collect my daughter........
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

olan wrote:
Yep, this is the way it should be. It is a shame the shipping costs to and from the UK escalated to such an extent, otherwise I presume there would be loads of us over here ordering from you. Hope all is well Alan.
I look at it as part of the cost of doing business. Once the parcel is out of your hands there isn't much you can do but put your faith in whatever delivery service you are using they wont try and fold it(this HAS happened twice) or mishandle it to the point of denting or cracking it.
The bad pressing thing has not happened to me. Over grading? Sure. I will refund and let the buyer keep the record. No one is perfect. :wink:
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

My "favorite" example of stupidity was to receive a 7" single w/ PIC Sleeve; delivered in an - ENVELOPE!

My refund was swift, and the disc replaced - it was a newly released common recording.
"Everything is a Poison; it is the amount or degree that separates one Poison from another"
Paracelsus