PLEASE VOTE TODAY (UK)

For anything else...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, spzretent, MODLAB, NightWash

clewsr
Known user

PLEASE VOTE TODAY (UK)

Post by clewsr »

This is the first time in my voting lifetime there has been a clear choice between the two main parties. It really does feel like a choice between hope and despair.

I guess today I can hope, tomorrow maybe time to despair.
jack white
Known user

Re: PLEASE VOTE TODAY (UK)

Post by jack white »

A fairer balance to things. I'm quite pleasantly surprised by the results. I fully expected a Tory landslide.
I'm still angry that so many people voted conservative, and I'm in despair over Northern Ireland sectarianism once again ruling the polls - the DUP/Orange Order sycophants & the narrowminded sect who gave Sinn Fein 7 seats they wont use. In effect this fuckin place just gave the torys a small majority & voted for a party who won't even represent them at Westminster. The mind boggles.

Anyway, good on Corbyn & Labour for mobilising & hopefully redirecting the course of British politics. I'm still far from convinced & im still on the losing side, but the defeat isn't as painful as it usually is & there's a little light peeking thru..
gonna burn brightly
for a while
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

Tbh tho, a DUP/Tory alliance is the stuff of nightmares. I don't know why Labour & the progressives are in such celebratory mood.
Our only saving grace is the slimness of the majority, & the hope the youth vote has brought forward.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

Certainly much better than expected, really pleased with the labour vote - looks like they have even won Kensington ffs. Shame that Scotland folded to the Tories as much as labour. Just a few more seats and it really would have been Corbyn off to see the queen this morning.
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

Days like this are a good indicator of personality. I always thought I might've been a "glass half full" person but matters such as these throw direct light on it. My reaction is more that I'm dismayed at how many votes the conservatives got - that they only needed 8 more seats & they'd have returned a majority. The glass is definitely half empty. For all the swing & gains the left/labour/progressives made the fact is that the deeprooted conservative Tory mindset is still the prevailing sentiment even after a decade of failed austerity & attacks on minorities. & those people are still in the majority and still in power. I'm fucking pissed off so many people still voted for Tory scum. Granted not as many as I thought would've, but still far more than should.

What I mean is, that 42% or thereabouts of the electorate voted for them, their share actually went up by 5.5% I think?
I mean, what the fuck?! Take a look at the heat map of the English constituencies and there is so much blue, it's depressing! These people are fuckers & they're going to continue to fuck us for as long as they can. & don't even get me started on the DUP. What is wrong with people that they're conditioned to vote for such bigoted, selfish, creationist WANKERS?!
Fuck.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

jack white wrote:Days like this are a good indicator of personality. I always thought I might've been a "glass half full" person but matters such as these throw direct light on it. My reaction is more that I'm dismayed at how many votes the conservatives got - that they only needed 8 more seats & they'd have returned a majority. The glass is definitely half empty. For all the swing & gains the left/labour/progressives made the fact is that the deeprooted conservative Tory mindset is still the prevailing sentiment even after a decade of failed austerity & attacks on minorities. & those people are still in the majority and still in power. I'm fucking pissed off so many people still voted for Tory scum. Granted not as many as I thought would've, but still far more than should.

What I mean is, that 42% or thereabouts of the electorate voted for them, their share actually went up by 5.5% I think?
I mean, what the fuck?! Take a look at the heat map of the English constituencies and there is so much blue, it's depressing! These people are fuckers & they're going to continue to fuck us for as long as they can. & don't even get me started on the DUP. What is wrong with people that they're conditioned to vote for such bigoted, selfish, creationist WANKERS?!
Fuck.
Couldn't agree more Jack. Conservative and DUP is truly the stuff of nightmares.
And what the fuck is going on with Scotland? I couldn't believe it when I saw just how much of the vote the Tories got there.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

It's madness. I now appear to live in the midst of a new Tory heartland. Seems money talks and Indyref2 was protested against by voting for "strong and stable" bullshit.

So fucking disappointing... turkeys, Xmas, etc.

Was up through the night on shift so was encouraged early on when it wasn't gonna be a Conservative landslide. However, a coalition with the DUP is nightmareish as you guys have said.

The light remains for me in that against the entire establishment, including the Murdoch/Dacre axis of evil, Corbyn and Labour did really well. Not well enough that the running-through-fields-of-wheat monster was deposed... at least for now.
O P 8
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

On Scotland, well people in glasshouses shouldn't throw stones but that was another disappointment. SNP played badly. The Scottish electorates skittishness, reactionary swing delivered the kind of sucker punch the Welsh Brexit vote brought: things would be different if only they hadn't shot themselves in the face..

It is an interesting time to be alive. Politics busy, fluid. Things could be different again this time next year.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

Corbyn, "look at me, I've got youth on my side." Funniest, wittiest remark I've heard from a politician in a while. Or anyone for that matter.
He's enjoying this moment anyway.
gonna burn brightly
for a while