Selling Vinyl

For anything else...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, spzretent, MODLAB, NightWash

johnnyboy
Known user

Selling Vinyl

Post by johnnyboy »

Howdy, what's peoples experience of selling off some of their collection? Go down the one by one listing on Discogs route, or as a batch at a local record store? I've a mixture of stuff, plenty of 90's dance related 12"s, stuff like One Dove, Metalheadz, Paperclip People, R&S, plus some indie 12"s and albums and 60's bits and pieces. Nothing overly rare except for say Oasis 'Supersonic' 12", Daft Punk 'New Wave' 12", Spz 'Anyway That You Want Me remixes' amongst other stuff. Just wondering if the effort of listing one by one and buying record mailers is worth it over the idea of a nice quick sell at the local shop (for admittedly less money in the long run)

I've got just under 700 pieces of vinyl (inc 7", 10", 12" singles) and feel the need for a downsize, a de-clutter, something to make the gems shine through a bit, getting rid of the stuff just bought for the sake of it or to complete a collection.
olan
Known user

Re: Selling Vinyl

Post by olan »

I have never sold records but do frequent the odd second hand seller. Here is what they tell me is the best way to maximise return:

There is a buyer for everything - finding buyers takes time and effort. Many of your records will have depreciated but some will hold value, particularly in the current market. You are likely to maximise the return may/not catch a cold if you’re willing to put the time in. This is why dealers apparently offer ‘rip of money.’ Put simply: paying tax and wrapping money into stock that a fair percentage will not move for 10 years, building a client base, logistics, reputation, losses, overheads etc etc cost time and money. There is likely no one looking for an instant collection that is exactly to your taste (Even at 30% of the original RRP).

A piece meal approach is typically best. You should try to sell the cream of the collection individually. This might involve listing on eBay, Amazon or Discogs. This has all sorts of hassle, but new records are easier in general than selling vintage vinyl (No bar code). Get
https://www.scanlister.com/3
You can list (apparently) 100 items an hour on Amazon. The milkcrate app for IOS is also brilliant for listing on Discogs. Only accept PayPal and provide photographs and decent conservative descriptions. You are better to make a small margin on the postage and slightly undervalue your records in order to sell close to maximum collection value. Yes, you have to pack but that’s made simple:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/100-x-MusicMA ... Sw5ClXxczm
If many are sealed/minty and rare you will do well with the premium titles despite being messed around by the odd dickhead.

After the cream comes the rest of the collection. I would list individually in mixed (decent titles + lesser value numbers that are over £10 value) batches of 1-4 for LPs and 12" singles and 5-10 for singles. If you are unlucky, you will come to loathe the post office in ways you never imagined…(I know this from recent forays into releasing records with a mate). Hence the don’t bother listing under £10, you are likely to prefer to bin them than bother - (Hello music magpie / record fairs / job lots/second hand dealers). Make friends with the ladies in your Post Office (I used to provide the odd small box of chocolate after delivering a load of mailers for the nth time in a week).

Don't discount trading in a bunch of vinyl you don't listen to with a dealer for something you will play. You will get much better residual values for credit rather than cash from a dealer.

Good luck! I've never been able to sell a record that I have in my collection, but have managed to build myself up to trading out some of the rubbish for dealer credit or swaps with other collectors.

Mark or Alan will probably be along later to point out how/why I am wrong and to provide the voice of experience.
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

Cheers Olan, some good info there and kind of the route I've been thinking of/ slowly going down. I've separated the good stuff from the average and have put a few on Discogs already. Looking them all up on Discogs seems a good idea first. Sometime back I took some low end average dance 12"s and albums to my local store but he declined, saying the prices were too low to bother with, so some of these went to the charity shops or to mates houses. I'll check out the apps for ease of use on Discogs.
I've come to realize I don't need all that I have, and that includes cd's, books and dvd's, especially after years of renting and the pain of boxing it all up each time. I love music, love buying vinyl, but having a record 'just to have it' is beginning to lose it's allure. Trading ten records I don't want for one I do want is a winner.
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

Strong mailers are a must for shipping, IMHO.

When I buy records from UK & Europe, most often they come in flimsy cardboard mailing boxes. They offer little protection from bending or breaking. Even corners get damaged in transit.

It may cost more, but get stiff cardboard shipping cartons made for LPs. Pad the LP on BOTH sides with at least 1 stiff 12x12 cardboard pad. Bubble wrap is optional, it might prevent movement inside the box, but does little to save the LP from damage in the event of mishandling. In my view, it's mostly a feel-good addition. Better to add 2 more pieces of cardboard. Turn the baffles to a 90° angle from the other sheet for added strength.

Most serious sellers remove the LP from inside the outer sleeve, and put it into a poly bag next to the sleeve, to avoid further splits in transit.
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

This quote came to mind regarding the acquisition of things:

"After a time, you may find, that having is not so pleasing a thing after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true."
- Mr. Spock
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

johnnyboy wrote: Trading ten records I don't want for one I do want is a winner.
This is very true. However, I usually want the other ten records too. :roll: At least I have almost completely weaned myself off CDs. :?
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

I sold my entire collection about 10 years ago after hitting some financial problems. It broke my heart. Almost 20 years of constantly buying records (the old fashioned way too - raking through crates and actually hitting shops) and, looking back, so many great records. Not something i ever want to have to do again.

I had an almost complete collection of Spacemen 3/Spiritualized/Spectrum vinyl that i initially offered up through here as i knew that there would probably be takers of some of it before i started just emailing copies of my list to interested parties. Didn't really have the time to put them up on eBay individually and i wasn't aware of Discogs around that time so i knew it was just a case of putting the stuff out there to see who would be interested. I think i posted on a couple of different band-related forums too with stuff that i thought they'd be interested in. After that, i started putting bundles of similar things together (a bunch of Boo Radleys 12"s, etc) and selling them via eBay and then took the remainder to a local shop, where they gave me pennies for each LP. Did the same with CDs and, apart from those that i knew were OOP or rare, most went to the local shop where they again gave me next to nothing for them.

Dark times for me back then. :cry:

On the plus side, i get to collect everything again. :?
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

davedecay wrote:This quote came to mind regarding the acquisition of things:

"After a time, you may find, that having is not so pleasing a thing after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true."
- Mr. Spock
Ha, very true! I'm finding that to be increasingly more so of late. Too many times I've coveted a record like crazy, I order it, it turns up, I marvel at it, play it and then the 'rush' wears off and I'm like "did I really need that". Example of late is having had the Earth "Bees Made Honey" album on cd for years but feeling a big need to have it on the lovely, but long out of print, vinyl edition too. I love it so thought I should go for it. Made a deal with a Dutchman on Discogs to buy it for £50 all in, inc p&p of 13 Euros, which is a great deal, but now I have it I keep looking at it thinking "is this the one that breaks the camels back"........
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

I continue to collect, but I need to start purging some, too. Pulled some Iggy Pop singles last night that I don't need.

“The things you own end up owning you. It's only after you lose everything that you're free to do anything.”
-- Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

Sellers conundrum #74.......

You have a desirable variant of a record, in this case a Flightless Records press of King Gizzard's Mind Fuzz album, pressed on "hot pink and bone swirl" vinyl. Looks lovely. 500 made at the time. Few turn up on Discogs now and then.

Someone offers £150 for it.

£150!

You can buy a black version replacement for £14.99.

It's a money making no brainer, when money is kind of needed............BUT............the nerd within will always love the pink one........even though you look at black vinyl and say "now that's a proper record".
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

johnnyboy wrote:Sellers conundrum #74.......

You have a desirable variant of a record, in this case a Flightless Records press of King Gizzard's Mind Fuzz album, pressed on "hot pink and bone swirl" vinyl. Looks lovely. 500 made at the time. Few turn up on Discogs now and then.

Someone offers £150 for it.

£150!

You can buy a black version replacement for £14.99.

It's a money making no brainer, when money is kind of needed............BUT............the nerd within will always love the pink one........even though you look at black vinyl and say "now that's a proper record".
Easy! In my sad little world I buy the black version replacement for £14.99. Then I keep the Flightless Records press of King Gizzard's Mind Fuzz album, pressed on "hot pink and bone swirl" vinyl because reasons. :roll:
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I've been selling on Discogs and it's been pretty effortless so far. Once you get into a rhythm with it, it's not hard and you get a lot more for your records than you would just dropping them off at a store.
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

olan wrote:
Easy! In my sad little world I buy the black version replacement for £14.99. Then I keep the Flightless Records press of King Gizzard's Mind Fuzz album, pressed on "hot pink and bone swirl" vinyl because reasons. :roll:
Haha, I should've known posting on here would bring up that kind of answer! The "keep all editions" mentality. I like it but I can't abide by it as I only ever have one copy of a certain album, never gone down the collect all editions road. King Gizz fans are crazy for it, buying up every splatter/tri-colour/glow in the dark version of the one album. I'm too practical about it. I don't have the room for that, or the money or the inclination.

The one I have is beautiful but £150 is £150 at the end of the day. SO I sold it and it's now winging it's way to a young chap in Scotland who is a proper Gizz-Head. I got black copy for £21 at Fopp yesterday. It looks real decent. I like proper black records, but yeah, I'll miss the pink one.

I sell my good stuff through Discogs or fan pages and the stuff that doesn't fetch much money goes to my local store.......and then I go back a week later and see it sitting in the rack for 3x what I got for it. It's a tough business!

As a friend at work said, let someone else enjoy the record now, let it go if you've been thinking about selling it, the record deserves to travel on (maaaan).