pedals

For anything else...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, spzretent, MODLAB, NightWash

jess farr
Known user

pedals

Post by jess farr »

I'm sure this has been discussed before, but anybody have any pedal recommendations? What's spaceman using these days? Others?
Mcabe? K.sheilds? G.coxon?
TheWarmth
Known user

Pedal recommendations

Post by TheWarmth »

Hello!
I play guitar in a Chicago band called The Saturday Nights. I have a bit of a pedal fetish, so I'll give you some recommendations:

Fulltone ~ Fulldrive II (overdrive) ~ check out http://www.fulltone.com
Hughes & Kettner Replex ~ Fabulous tube-driven tape delay simulator
FoxRox Electronics ~ Paradox TZF (flanger) ~ hands down the best flanger you can get (http://www.foxroxelectronics.com)
Roger Mayer Voodoo Vibe ~ Chorus, Vibrato and Tremelo (ahhh ... excellent Spz sound)

Hope that helps!!!!
a beautiful noise
Known user

Post by a beautiful noise »

all you need is to check out one company, ELECTRO-HARMONIX, all tube, all analog pedals. They are definetely more expensive than most, but they are well worth the money. All total in our band we have 8 different pedals by them. You can not go wrong.

xxxshonnxxx

p.s. whatever you do, if you buy a distortion pedal, make sure its all tube.
jamesj1986
Known user

Post by jamesj1986 »

Get a delay pedal. A while back I didn't think a delay pedal would be much use at all, but once I got one I realised just how wrong I was.

I recommend the Boss DD-3 (I have one and it's amazing).
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

a beautiful noise wrote:all you need is to check out one company, ELECTRO-HARMONIX, all tube, all analog pedals. They are definetely more expensive than most, but they are well worth the money. All total in our band we have 8 different pedals by them. You can not go wrong.

p.s. whatever you do, if you buy a distortion pedal, make sure its all tube.
I have to disagree with you a little bit: I used to use an EH Electric Mistress flanger and a vintage Big Muff, but found that over time I had troubles with them - I think the construction could be a little higher quality. I admit, though, that I have not tried the newer tube pedals they now offer.

Regarding distortion, you most definitely do not have to have a tube-driven pedal. Check out the Fulltone Fulldrive II (http://www.fulltone.com). This one runs about $180 and can be had for less on ebay. Home Brew Electronics makes an overdrive/distortion called the Power Screamer, which is also excellent and based on the classic Ibanez Tube Screamer. Tube-driven pedals are nice, but can be rediculously expensive. The only one I use is the Hughes & Kettner Replex Delay, which I find sounds much better than the Boss DD series.

These are just my personal opinions derived from 10 years of gigging, recording and rehearsing with effects. For more professional opinions, check out http://www.analogman.com, who also sells and makes his own high end guitar pedals. There are a lot of interesting articles and much useful information on the site.
sly saxon
Known user

Post by sly saxon »

http://guitargeek.com/rigview/77/

gives you the full 'skinny' (I think that's the modern argot)...as you can see, Kev had no truck with the valvistas...
It's all happening!
a beautiful noise
Known user

if you spend $180 on a non tube distortion you are a fool. waite till you turn it up, (warmth you might want to try that) that is where you will notice a massive difference. try running them through a marshall tube head with 4x12 cabinet, cranked up to about 7-8. the non tube will sound pathetic. guarenteed.

xxxshonnxxx

p.s. kevin shields had a great line about never ever using anything but tube distortion.
TheWarmth
Known user

non-tube distortion

Post by TheWarmth »

a beautiful noise wrote:if you spend $180 on a non tube distortion you are a fool. waite till you turn it up, (warmth you might want to try that) that is where you will notice a massive difference. try running them through a marshall tube head with 4x12 cabinet, cranked up to about 7-8. the non tube will sound pathetic. guarenteed.
First of all, let's try to be civil here - I don't appreciate being called a fool. I don't suppose you've ever actually played the Fulltone, have you? It's pretty fucking awesome and I'm sure it would stand up to your EH overdrive. Go ahead and check out the Fulltone website (http://www.fulltone.com) for sound clips. It sounds much better than the overdrive built into my Fender Hotrod, which is obviously tube-driven (sorry, I'm not crating around a Marshall stack).

According to the link that someone else just posted on this thread to guitar geek (http://guitargeek.com/rigview/77/), Kevin Shields used a Marshall Shredmaster while in MBV - a non-tube pedal!!! Spiritualized don't use tube distortions either. The only band that I can think of off the top of my head that does use them is (was) Acetone and their guitarist used a Matchless (fancy paying $600????). I'm sure many others use them, but my point is that it certainly isn't a necessity to get a good tone.

Sorry about that rant, but I felt I had to defend myself.

Finally ... if you're looking for a good flanger, get the Foxrox TZF Paradox, there's nothing else out there that sounds like it or even offers through-zero flanging.
a beautiful noise
Known user

aaawww warmth, didn't mean or want to have a pissing contest with you. and just for you i grabbed one of my old distortion pedals and tested your theory against one of my tubes last nite. Turn it up, no warmth (HA!) or tone. Maybe Im just sold on sound quality. Especially if you play as loud as we do, you do notice the difference. Think about it warmth, if you are playing through a solid state vs. tube head, your sound is going to be blown away. Go ahead give it a try!

On a note about electro-harmonix, just got the tremolo pedal, brilliant! But I will say this about their Holier Grail (reverb), turned to its max, it still drains power, even running it through the fx loop. So word of caution about that pedal.

xxxshonnxxx

p.s. i will find you the link where kevin is speaking about only using tube distortion.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

[quote="a beautiful noise"]aaawww warmth, didn't mean or want to have a pissing contest with you. and just for you i grabbed one of my old distortion pedals and tested your theory against one of my tubes last nite. Turn it up, no warmth (HA!) or tone. Maybe Im just sold on sound quality. Especially if you play as loud as we do, you do notice the difference. Think about it warmth, if you are playing through a solid state vs. tube head, your sound is going to be blown away. Go ahead give it a try!
quote]

Hey Noise ... it's cool, but I totally stand by my Fulltone. There's a huge difference between the Fulltone and other run-of-the-mill distortion pedals (Boss DS-1, etc.). It's incredibly warm and maintains the true tone of your guitar. I play fairly loud, too and have always been extremely pleased with it. Listen to the new Luna album, Romantica, and you'll hear the Fulldrive II all over it. I also use a Home Brew Electronics Power Screamer, which is also very nice.

I do use a delay pedal that is tube-driven, though ... the Hughes & Kettner Replex. Not sure if you use delay or not, but this pedal blows away the digital Boss delays (ie DD-5 or DD-6). Sounds fantastic.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

[quote="a beautiful noise"]aaawww warmth, didn't mean or want to have a pissing contest with you. and just for you i grabbed one of my old distortion pedals and tested your theory against one of my tubes last nite. Turn it up, no warmth (HA!) or tone. Maybe Im just sold on sound quality. Especially if you play as loud as we do, you do notice the difference. Think about it warmth, if you are playing through a solid state vs. tube head, your sound is going to be blown away. Go ahead give it a try!
quote]

Hey Noise … it’s cool, but I still stand by my Fulltone 100%. It’s incredibly warm while maintaining your guitar’s true tone. Check out Luna’s new album, Romantica – the Fulldrive II is all over it. I’m sure your EH sounds good, but I play quite loud too and the Fulltone has convinced me that a tube-driven overdrive is not a necessity. There’s a huge difference between that pedal and, say, the crummy orange Boss DS-1, which will sound like crap no matter what volume you’re playing at.

I do, however, use a tube-driven delay – the Hughes and Kettner Replex. Sounds much better than any digital delay. Check it out.
jamesj1986
Known user

Post by jamesj1986 »

Last night Jason was using: (in the fx loop of his amp i think)

Boss tuner<---Pink Tremolo pedal<----Green wah (coloursound i think)<----black distortion pedal with 3 knobs<-----Boss delay

The delay and tuner might have been in each other's places, if that makes sense.

Also his amp head was strange, looked like two seperate units taped together. He was using a standard Marshall 4x12 cab i think.
jamesj1986
Known user

Post by jamesj1986 »

To add my 2 cents, I don't really think there's such thing as "better" tone. It all comes down to what pleases your ears, and if everyone had the same tone it would be boring as fuck.

For example I use a Squire tele, which I'm sure most seasoned guitar players would say is rubbish, but it gives me every sound I want from it, so surely that's just as good as having a "better" Fender for £200+ more?