Article about Leeds Brudenell Club ("A week in the life of a British Venue")

For anything else...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, spzretent, MODLAB, NightWash

angelsighs
Known user

Article about Leeds Brudenell Club ("A week in the life of a British Venue")

Post by angelsighs »

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2020/ ... tish-venue

Thought some here might enjoy this. I found it interesting.
runcible
Site Admin

Re: Article about Leeds Brudenell Club ("A week in the life of a British Venue")

Post by runcible »

That's an excellent article. I have so much respect for Nathan and what he's achieved with that place. He's a sweet guy too. Still my favourite venue on the planet.
spzretent
Site Admin

Re: Article about Leeds Brudenell Club ("A week in the life of a British Venue")

Post by spzretent »

When Runcible emailed me letting me know Spiritualized were playing the Brudenell in September 2015 I immediately bought a couple tickets and started planning a trip over to see that show. I thought for sure the Brudenell had been over hyped. Nuh uh! If anything it was even better than advertised.
Sure it was packed for Spiritualized but you could get to the bar or restroom and get back to your spot with a bit of patience. The best part was after the show we were waiting for Jason and the bouncers just let people be. They didn't kick anyone out. In fact they encourage you to stick around and have a drink or two after the show. This is unlike any music venue I have ever been to anywhere.
Since that night I have been to the Brudenell several times. Mainly to watch football. In 2018 Runcible and I went to watch Man City vs Liverpool and there was a beer festival on. Which was excellent.
This past year I saw a sold out Steve Mason show there. Yet another great experience.
When I wear my Brudenell shirt around town here in Detroit I often get comments. Mainly from touring bands like Moon Duo/Wooden Shjips and others who have heard of it. It does have a fantastic reputation around the world. This article is a very nice confirmation of that.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

Love the venue, bit of a pain in the arse to get to (blame M6, M60 and M62) but worthwhile once there. From memory I have seen Wooden Shjips, Six By Seven, Six Organs Of Admittance, Sleepy Sun, Yo la Tengo, Suede, Thee Oh Sees, Besnard Lakes, Luna, maybe more but i can say all were brilliant shows, sound excellent, sight lines superb, beer tremendous and what about those pies :D
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

glad you enjoyed the article. I thought it was interesting hearing about the behind the scenes of the venue in particular.

it's a venue I've never been to (hopefully one day! but it's just so far away), reading this it seems like it basically ticks every box!