Light hearted relief moment - please join in!

For anything else...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, spzretent, MODLAB, NightWash

runcible
Site Admin

Light hearted relief moment - please join in!

Post by runcible »

There's lots on social media that's designed to lift people at the moment & I really like a lot of the community spirit shown in places like Italy & Spain.

Anyway, thought I'd start a thread on gigs & such like. Which I'll kick off obviously... Here goes...

First gig you saw: Devo, Hammersmith Odeon, November 1978
Last gig you saw: Michael Head, Edinburgh Summerhall, January 2020

Best ever live set: Spiritualized, Mean Fiddler, November 1991
Worst ever live set: Loop, Brudenell Social Club, December 2013

A gig where you weren't expecting that much but which blew your brains out: Cave, Salford Islington Mill, November 2010

Most outrageously psychedelic gig you've seen: Butthole Surfers, Brixton Academy, September 1988

An incredible gig in front of under 10 people: Vibravoid, Rotherham Trades Club, July 2013. I was the only person standing watching. Maybe 7 or 8 people sat at the back...

A live set you saw where you just knew the band would explode: Nirvana, London Astoria, October 1990

The most exciting atmosphere you experienced at a gig: Poison Idea, London Marquee, April 1993

Scariest ever gig: Mark Lanegan, Leeds Met, March 2012 (the crush trying to go inside actually made me feel my life was in danger - terrifying)

A gig where security tried to throw you out: Mazzy Star, London Astoria 2, June 1994

That'll do. Anyone else? Feel free to add your own category!
sunray
Known user

Re: Light hearted relief moment - please join in!

Post by sunray »

Nice one Runci, good thread.

First: Queen, Slane Castle, June 1986
Last: A Winged Victory For The Sullen, National Concert Hall, Dublin, March 2020

Best ever live set: Spiritualized, Rock Garden Dublin, May 1992
Worst ever live set: Kaiser Chiefs, Ambassador, Dublin sometime in the noughties. I knew nothing of them but they were getting hype so thought i'd check 'em out. First song 'This is alright', second 'not bad, maybe there's some substance here'. Rapidly downhill from there. Asked the stranger next to me 'Is it just me or is this complete shite?" He replied that i was correct and it was indeed complete shite.

Blown expectations: No one springs to mind to be honest.

Most outrageously psychedelic gig: Probably the aforementioned Spiritualized show as during it i had no concept of past or future, all i had ever known was that moment with me and the band. Truly in the NOW. Stone cold straight and sober too.

An incredible gig in front of under 10 people: Thee Oh Sees, Upstairs in Whelans. Possibly 2007/8. Technically there were 15 people there but half of those were the support act. Oh Sees set up in the middle of the floor and played as if they were main stage festival headliners.

Knew the band would explode: Not one, my judgement on such matters is always wildly off the mark :lol:

Most exciting atmosphere: I honestly don't know.

Scariest ever gig: Never felt scared at a gig. Well, i can't think of anything at the moment.

A gig where security tried to throw you out: None, but i did have to leave a gig in an ambulance once. Clap Your Hands Say Yeah, Tripod, Dublin, February 20??

I'll add a couple more categories:
Hottest, steamiest indoor gig you ever attended: Ozric Tentacles, The Astoria, June 1994. Two days after Glastonbury. So hot that i removed my Spacemen 3 'Fucked up children' t-shirt and inflicted my scrawny, pale torso on a traumatised crowd!

Best 'Reunion' gig The Stooges, Dublin Castle, June 2004. Christ they were amazing. Of course i'd nothing to compare it to having not seen them first time around, but they kicked the shit out of most other bands that i'd seen.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Everyone looking for ways to fill their days just now,

1st gig- PIl at the Glasgow Apollo 1983, my only visit to the legendary venue
Last gig The Murder Capital at Glasgow Queen Margret Union,

Best ever set That`s a hard question, Spiritualized a Glasgow Arches in 1995 really stands out, I could easily do a Top 10,
Worst ever set I saw Embrace have an utter nightmare back in 1997, Glasgow Garage I think, the guy was on a par with Ian Brown for out of tune, flat vocals, pure fog horn

Blown expectations Red Hot Chilli Peppers!! Edinburgh Murrayfield Stadium 2004, expected a decent stadium show, absolutely shocking performance, could easily have been in the above worst set question,

Most Outrageously Psychedelic Show Spiritualized at Glasgow Pavilion 1993, pure bliss...

Incredible gig in front of under 10 people Anthroprophh Nice & Sleazys 2013 or 14, you actually feel embarrassed for the band at the pitiful turn out then they blow you away, brilliant.

Knew the band would explode Oasis at the Glasgow Cathouse 1994

Scariest Gig Damned or Cramps shows back in the 80`s, you needed your wits about you, populated by drunken maniacs, boisterousness crossing the line to boneheaded violence on more than one occasion

Gig where security tried to throw you out Jesus And Mary Chain at the Glasgow Arches 1995
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

First: Deep Purple w/ZZ Top 1973 at Cobo Arena Detroit
Last: Steve Mason w/Pictish Trail at Invisible Wind Factory Liverpool Nov. 2019 with Olan
Best ever live set: Verve at Reptile House Grand Rapids Michigan Halloween 1993.
Worst ever live set: Steely Dan at DTE Energy Detroit Mid 2000's. Left at intermission and I was in the 2nd row
Blown expectations: Television at El Club Detroit 2019. They seemed so uninterested.
Most outrageously psychedelic gig: Flaming Lips at St Andrews Hall Detroit December 1993(?). During first song the entire venue lit up in Christmas lights..
An incredible gig in front of under 10 people: Grant Lee Buffalo at St Andrews Hall. 6 people.
Knew the band would explode: Pearl Jam opening for Smashing Pumpkins & RHCP's 1991. State Theater Detroit
Most exciting atmosphere: Rolling Stones at Double Door Chicago 1997. Secret Club gig..
Scariest ever gig: Aerosmith w/Guns & Roses at DTE Energy. People climbing over seat pushing people out of the way.
A gig where security tried to throw you out: None
Hottest, steamiest indoor gig you ever attended: New Order Power Corruption & Lies tour 1983 at St. Andrews Hall Detroit. Well over 100f inside the venue.
Best 'Reunion' gig Mott The Hoople at The Fillmore Detroit 2019 or Stooges DTE Energy 2003.

Added:
Craziest(in a good way) gig: Mercury Rev at Clapham Grand London 1993 complete with dancing mascots and furry animals. It was also in quad.
Band you wish you had seen: The Band
Strangest atmosphere: Cocteau Twins w/Dead Can Dance at Victoria Palace London 1984. I had never walked into what was a 99% goth crowd before. Coupled with the eerie and chilling Dead Can Dance opening set just made me super uncomfortable. When the Cocteau Twins came on Robin Guthrie kept turning the volume up and Elizabeth Fraser started to cry at one point. :shock: I just looked up the set list for that show and it was great yet the whole gig was just very uncomfortable.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

just chiming in to say me too about this, for the exact same reasons!
sunray wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:05 pm Most outrageously psychedelic gig: Probably the aforementioned Spiritualized show as during it i had no concept of past or future, all i had ever known was that moment with me and the band. Truly in the NOW. Stone cold straight and sober too.
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

OK not that good with dates so....just a couple

1st gig - PIL Lancaster University 82 83? on a bus trip organized by the local paper the Wakefield Express which was totally random as it was normally day trips to the coast or York/Chester, basically stuff for the older generation so this was a real surprise! Anyway really enjoyed and if memory serves me right everybody went crazy when he did the Pistols stuff. Not a bad introduction to live music :!:

Most memorable gig (not necessarily best) - Spiz at the Brudenell for all sorts of reasons. I mean the show was amazing but it was who I was watching it that made is so special :D

Best (and only) gig I ever saw stood next to Mani - Beta Band Irish Centre in Leeds I played it cool (I think) :D

Best (and only) gig I queued up behind Bobby Gillespie at a gig - Spiz Festivel Hall LAGWAFIS gigs couldn't believe he was in queue for a beer with everybody else but good to see, very quiet and unassuming.

Best (and only) gig Patsy Kensit moved out of the way for me at the bar - BJM Cockpit in Leeds. I had to tap her on shoulder didn't know it was her, played it cool again I think! Again very polite and, how can I put it, smoking :wink:

Anyway that's it for now.

Wish everybody good health and be nice to each other :)
'Remember, change is not good'
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

BVCP206 wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:44 am
Most memorable gig (not necessarily best) - Spiz at the Brudenell for all sorts of reasons. I mean the show was amazing but it was who I was watching it that made is so special :D
:D
The after show bit was fun too.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Here goes...

First gig you saw:
Ride, Barras, Glasgow, March 1992

Last gig you saw:
Helicon, Rum Shack, Glasgow, March 2020

Best ever live set:
So so many. Many early (and the the last) Spiritualized shows, The Heads totally destroyed me the first time I saw them. Similarly, Bardo Pond. Brian Wilson was also a beautiful show; classics all night long. Not being a big dance music fan, The Chemical Brothers were also stunning live!

Worst ever live set: Electric Prunes, King Tut's, Glasgow, Oct 2002 - Utterly dreadful. Was like a mass progrock wankathon. Only gig I've ever walked out of.

A gig where you weren't expecting that much but which blew your brains out:
Both times I saw the Black Crowes and were like this. Was looking forward to both shows but they totally nailed it both times. Left with a big smile on my face! 🙂 Total rocknroll!!!

Most outrageously psychedelic gig you've seen:
Julian Cope, Barras, Glasgow, Sept 1995
Mad crazy night with mushrooms and Copey. Need I saw any more? Immortalised in the recent live album put out by Copey of that very show!

An incredible gig in front of under 10 people:
Cult Of Dom Keller, Nice & Sleazys, Glasgow, June 2016
Must have been half dozen people there on a Sunday night. Band gave 3 "happy birthday" shout outs to my wife that night just to interact with ANYONE! 😂😂 They still blew the venue apart that night.

A live set you saw where you just knew the band would explode:
Verve, Barras, Glasgow, Sept 1993
I'm almost certain they were supporting Smashing Pumpkins on tour... Siamese Dream tour maybe. Verve were utterly brilliant that night. Nick McCabe blew my mind with his playing of sound.
Supergrass were another I suspected were destined for great things...

The most exciting atmosphere you experienced at a gig:

Spiritualized, Old Fruitmarket, Glasgow, May 2019
The anticipation for this gig was utterly ridiculous for me and for what seemed like everyone else who was in attendance that night. The drinking pre gig was great and gave us time to relax and chat in the sun. The gig was everything I'd hoped for and so much more. Having loved the album, and just to have Jason and co playing in front of us after what seemed like forever, was all my dreams come true all at once. This was very possibly all musical stars aligning all at once for me! ♥️

Scariest ever gig:
Therapy?, Barras, Glasgow, Feb 1994
Was quite a fan back then but was not prepared for the riotous nature of the crowd! Lost a shoe and my glasses at the gig. Genuinely thought I was gonna get trampled to death. Can still remember standing myself at the end looking around for my shoe! 😂

A gig where security tried to throw you out:
Chemical Brothers, Barras, Glasgow, Oct 1996
Was tripping balls big time that night and got caught burning hash. Dropped it and made sure they couldn't find it so they told me to leave or they were calling the Police. I grabbed my jacket and walked out the door. Got about 10 yards away and turned on my heels. Just decided I was going back in. Told security at door my car alarm had went off (didn't even have a car then I dont think) and they waved me back in, just as all my friends were running down the stairs to come and get me outside. I said "let's get some drinks in!"  and strode off to the bar. Sat in the shadows for a bit to avoid the guy who chucked me out before catching the Chemical Brothers in full blown technicolour!!!
sm-iom
Known user

Post by sm-iom »

First gig you saw: Wedding Present, Coventry Poly 1989
Last gig you saw: Squeeze, Isle of Man 2019

Best ever live set: Spiritualized (+ Levitation) Coventry Tic Toc 1994
Worst ever live set: Happy Mondays, Glastonbury 1990

Most outrageously psychedelic gig you've seen: Mercury Rev (+ Spiritualized) 1993

Scariest: Pixies, Birmingham Aston Villa Centre 1990. Early in my gig going career, and stupidly thought it a good idea to go front row. Crushed against barrier, took a Doc Marten in the face, ended up heading down and swimming back through the crowd on the floor. Surfaced, and found myself in a mosh pit, elbows and fists flying....

Struggled with the rest, will have a think, and hopefully come back and edit post...
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Right here's my go, trying not to think about it too much...

First gig you saw: Oasis, Bolton Reebok Arena, 2000. (don't judge me!- I was a big Oasis kid in the 90s. good gig even though touring their worst album! support acts were good too- Johnny Marr & Happy Mondays)
Last gig you saw: Ride, Birmingham Institute Dec 2019

Best ever live set: woah, not even gonna try this one. could probably have a stab at a top 10. yes Spiritualized would be there (including acoustic mainlines shows), probably also Explosions in The Sky, Carlton Melton, Comets on Fire, Six Organs..
Worst ever live set: been fairly lucky in this respect, maybe some crap festival sets you can just walk away from. But also a Maps gig around the time of the second album. just him and another bloke on a laptop playing to a half empty room was an utter damp squib

A gig where you weren't expecting that much but which blew your brains out: more recently, Preoccupations spring to mind from last year- I like them but wasn't expecting such a superb set. also saw The Twilight Sad as a support act- I knew nothing about them apart from the name but they utterly laid waste to the headline act, it was a true road to damascus moment.

Most outrageously psychedelic gig you've seen: Hmm will probably go with Carlton Melton here, those long sets of jams where you lose track of time and not sure if the song was 5 mins or 25 mins.

An incredible gig in front of under 10 people: Sleepy Sun to a crowd of about 5 or 6, they still put on a full on and committed show, respect.

A live set you saw where you just knew the band would explode: struggling here.. don't think i'd make it as an A&R man

The most exciting atmosphere you experienced at a gig: the first Ride gig back for the reunion (2015?) it was for the fanclub mailing list only, tiny venue. they were still rough around the edges but it was truly electric as everyone there was super fan.

Scariest ever gig: I remember a pretty scary crowd surge for Radiohead at festival.. felt the fight or flight and had to get out of there. also when I saw Pavement, for some random reason I passed out. I hadn't even drank that much or anything. but suddenly waking up on the floor for no reason is strange.