For anything else...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, spzretent, MODLAB, NightWash

davedecay
Known user

Re: Last five albums/lp's you bought?

Post by davedecay »

David Bowie - Hunky Dory - clean copy
Talkingheads - Remain In Light - clean copy
The Doors - The Best of The Doors - QuadraDisc version on green butterfly label, top edge of sleeve is split
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

angelsighs wrote: Mahavishnu Orchestra- Birds of Fire
Hey! I spotted this amongst the vinyl sleeves... nice one. That's an incredible album. Discussed this with some mates recently who hadn't heard it - I felt it was best described as "Heavy Speed Jazz Metal with extra Violin."

And I wasn't wrong...

Is this a reissue or...? I still have a near mint original vinyl edition I bought 2nd hand years ago.
O P 8
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

olan wrote:White Hills: Glitter...Glamour...Atrocity
White Mana: Come Down Safari (Picture Disc)
Moon Duo: LIve in Ravenna
Hey Olan, did you pick up the coloured vinyl versions of the White Hills and Moon Duo LPs? If so, where did you get them from? The postage costs seem so high from Thrill Jockey (White Hills) and Sacred Bones (Moon Duo) seem to have sold out of the blue/white vinyl. I seemed to have missed the boat on the limited first issue of that Spacemen 3 live bootleg release too. I'm actually thinking of setting up some kind of Facebook page for these kind of releases so like minded collectors and labels can post details of upcoming releases.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Shinesalight wrote:
olan wrote:White Hills: Glitter...Glamour...Atrocity
White Mana: Come Down Safari (Picture Disc)
Moon Duo: LIve in Ravenna
Hey Olan, did you pick up the coloured vinyl versions of the White Hills and Moon Duo LPs? If so, where did you get them from? The postage costs seem so high from Thrill Jockey (White Hills) and Sacred Bones (Moon Duo) seem to have sold out of the blue/white vinyl. I seemed to have missed the boat on the limited first issue of that Spacemen 3 live bootleg release too. I'm actually thinking of setting up some kind of Facebook page for these kind of releases so like minded collectors and labels can post details of upcoming releases.
I bought the White Hills from Thrill Jockey as there was a bundle deal. It is blue vinyl, but honestly I am usually happier with black vinyl. Where I own both black and coloured vinyl, the black vinyl typically offers less surface noise. I can't remember where I ordered the Moon Duo from, and have a sinking feeling that I bought two copies (this is a drawback to vinyl shopping under the influence of alcohol :D ). It seems that I really don't care about the postage charges when blotto (hence the purchase from Thrill Jockey) and often the Postman surprises me with an LP or two that I had forgotten I'd ordered :D . The downsides are the hangovers and actually paying the charges..... :(
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

spzretent wrote:If any you UK/Europe people want records shipped at better than $20+ why dont we set something up. I have 2 copies of the Spacemen 3 live lp waiting to ship to the UK. If you know there is a limited release you want from a US site contact me. As long as I get a paypal payment when I have to pay I see no problem with this.
I guess the issue is you then have to pay US shipping which is usually $5 unless combined. Then it would be less. S&H to UK split by however many LPs are included and then shipping from whomever gets the UK parcel and ships out. It has to be cheaper than what some of these labels are charging.
That is a really generous offer Alan. The downside is that the UK recipient may get stung for VAT and Duty, but Isuppose that could be shared out.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

It seems there is often an issue with UK/European record collectors paying high postage rates for US releases (and, I guess, the same applies for the opposite). I remember emailing Thrill Jockey about a year or so ago about this very dilemma and was told that they were soon to be setting up a UK/Euro distribution centre to reduce these costs but I've read/heard nothing since. I don't know why I beat myself up about trying to get hold of these coloured/limited versions....just the record collector geek inside me I reckon :oops: I asked Dave from the White Hills on FB about the possibility of paying for a blue copy and then picking it up from the merch stand at Liverpool Psych Fest but he said that due to the amount of interest/demand for it that it would be tough to do. The thing is it only costs £12.50 to buy the LP directly from the White Hills site but the price goes up to £22 when you add the postage. If I was to do that with all these limited US (and even European releases like the recent live Spacemen 3 LP to be honest) then the cost of my record collecting hobby starts to spiral ever upwards.

PS: Olan, if it turns out you have ordered 2 of the coloured Moon Duo LPs then give me a shout and I'll be more than happy to take a copy off your hands :wink:
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

guy i know who emigrated from US to UK said this: "gifts over £35 get hit with VAT"
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Shinesalight wrote:...i'm actually thinking of setting up some kind of Facebook page for these kind of releases so like minded collectors and labels can post details of upcoming releases.
Have gone ahead and set up said Facebook page for those of you interested. It's called Psychedelic Drone Rock and it's a work in progress. Have invited those of you that I'm already friends with on FB but for anyone else interested please feel free to join in.
Last edited by Shinesalight on Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Shinesalight wrote:
Shinesalight wrote:
olan wrote:...i'm actually thinking of setting up some kind of Facebook page for these kind of releases so like minded collectors and labels can post details of upcoming releases.
Have gone ahead and set up said Facebook page for those of you interested. It's called Psychedelic Drone Rock and it's a work in progress. Have invited those of you that I'm already friends with on FB but for anyone else interested please feel free to join in.
There is a misquote there Shines. I would never think of setting up a Facebook page as I wouldn't have a clue how to do such a thing. My 11-year old does a lot of explaining about Apps and suchlike. I usually let her get on with anything beyond my level of technical incompetence.... :?
semisynthetic
Known user

Re: Last "8" or so recordings you bought?

Post by semisynthetic »

[8 new acquisitions: (and a few more from a "lilmoxie.com" NEAR YOU)]!

THE WHO "WON'T GET FOOLED AGAIN" / "DON'T KNOW MYSELF" 7" 45 PS JAPANESE POLYDOR DP 1817

CAPTAIN BEYOND - S/T Splatter LP; VELVET Cover "Rock" Ltd; very pretty. From their 1st LP on Capricorn, 1972.

DUNGEN - "Ta Det Lugnt" Swedish 3-LP set; [new reissue - sealed - NOT THE Original Release]

ELTON JOHN "GOODBYE YELLOW BRICK ROAD" UK 2LP [original release] YELLOW VINYL PRESS on DJE 29001 1973

THE SHOCKING BLUE (LP) S/T; on COLOSSUS LABEL CS 1000 [ORIGINAL IN SHRINK] BROADWAY [sealed] 1969

HELP YOURSELF - "STRANGE AFFAIR", "THE RETURN OF KEN WHALEY" PLUS "HAPPY DAYS" - NEW CD

HELP YOURSELF Happy Days / The Return Of Ken Whaley; UK; [1ST PRESS LP PSYCHEDELIA] in "Package" 1973
(This was the very first of a limited number of the issue of "The Return..." - in a nicely made large "envelope package", with a "bonus" LP of "Happy Days" w/ a cartoonish "set from the Circus out on the town").

"I'll Fly Away" - single sided 10" 78rpm Gospel; Listed Simply as "The Gospel Singers" 1905
Attachments
ELTON JOHN   "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road" 1973 3_LP TRIFOLD JACKET Set on DJE; 1 of 3 discs
ELTON JOHN "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road" 1973 3_LP TRIFOLD JACKET Set on DJE; 1 of 3 discs
ELTON JOHN _ Yellow Brick Road 1973 3_LP TRIFOLD JACKET Setaaaa.jpg (14.14 KiB) Viewed 9187 times
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

olan wrote:There is a misquote there Shines. I would never think of setting up a Facebook page as I wouldn't have a clue how to do such a thing. My 11-year old does a lot of explaining about Apps and suchlike. I usually let her get on with anything beyond my level of technical incompetence.... :?

Sorry man, my mistake...have edited the post. :oops:
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Shinesalight wrote:
olan wrote:There is a misquote there Shines. I would never think of setting up a Facebook page as I wouldn't have a clue how to do such a thing. My 11-year old does a lot of explaining about Apps and suchlike. I usually let her get on with anything beyond my level of technical incompetence.... :?

Sorry man, my mistake...have edited the post. :oops:
No problem Shines. It made me smile though, the idea of me setting up a facebook page! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

olan wrote:No problem Shines. It made me smile though, the idea of me setting up a facebook page! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Believe me, I'm struggling with it myself. :wink: :oops:
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

BzaInSpace wrote:
angelsighs wrote: Mahavishnu Orchestra- Birds of Fire
Hey! I spotted this amongst the vinyl sleeves... nice one. That's an incredible album. Discussed this with some mates recently who hadn't heard it - I felt it was best described as "Heavy Speed Jazz Metal with extra Violin."

And I wasn't wrong...

Is this a reissue or...? I still have a near mint original vinyl edition I bought 2nd hand years ago.
it's just a CD reissue- no bonus tracks or anything unfortunately, yeah really digging it, got the first album The Inner Mounting Flame too.. there is the occasional dodgy moment (as can be expected with what some might call 'jazz fusion'!) but when they start firing on all cylinders its great! I like the idea of the violin in the mix too.. very unique combination.
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

I have that Birds of FIre LP but haven't spun it yet - picked it up in a 50 cent batch a while back.
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

"angelsighs" & "BzaInSpace" regarding
[Mahavishnu Orchestra- Birds of Fire]
[Hey! I spotted this amongst the vinyl sleeves... nice one.]

Another Great Recording! (I can see the spine of the LP from where I sit); but it has been quite awhile since I heard it; "Hearing an old favorite after years is like hearing it for the first time, (almost), anyway". I am too often reminded of being truly behind in my listening when I read of yet another disc I have long enjoyed but not so recently listened to!
semisynthetic
Known user

Re: Last Movie Poster you bought?

Post by semisynthetic »

Educational Film. Historical, relatively large 3' x 6' (+/-) Movie Poster from the early 1930's; on very nice, heavy cotton material. Will look great Matted and framed.
Attachments
THC MOVIE POSTER Early 1930's era
THC MOVIE POSTER Early 1930's era
THC MOVIE POSTER 1930's eraaaaa.jpg (84.58 KiB) Viewed 9546 times
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

This weekend I hope to accomplish the Great Record Room Cleanup.

I have a 2x4 cube IKEA Kallax shelf unit to assemble, then place.

After that it's sort through half a dozen (or more) boxes of mixed records and put them in proper places.

Wish me luck!
beaker73
Known user

Post by beaker73 »

good luck! :wink:

some stuff I got recently:
Spoon - they want my soul (clear vinyl)
Ty Segall - manipulator (double burgundy clear vinyl)
Reigning Sound - shattered
Julia and Agnus Stone - s/t
Fleetwood Mac - Rumours (2x 45rpm vinyl, mastered by kevin gray & steve hoffman) that one was expensive, but worth every penny, damn, it sounds good!
and a nice thrift shop find: lovely clean copy of Sheila E - Romance 1600 for 2 euros
On order: Bo Diddley's beach party sundazed reissue (thanks to a post in the spacemen 3 section of this lovely board), james brown - love, soul,peace (triple vinyl sundazed issue), queen - live at the rainbow on vinyl and via discogs Lowgold's first album on vinyl.
"I've been drinking all night long, but my hands are steady"
semisynthetic
Known user

Re: Last Movie Poster you bought?

Post by semisynthetic »

Education Film. Historical, 23" x 40" (+/-) Movie Poster from the early 1930's; on very nice, heavy cotton material.

[ Correcting The ACTUAL SIZE of the Marihuana Propaganda/ Sexploitation Film Poster, Above. -
(HAVING COMPUTER PROBLEMS, or I WOULD HAVE CORRECTED IT ABOVE)
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Postman played a blinder today, managing to deliver:

Moon Duo: Live in Ravenna (mine is black vinyl, limited to 500 - I was sure it was released on grey vinyl)
CHFX: Guided Bussways/Undercroft (second release on the Polytechnic Youth label)
Leisure Birds: Tetrahedron
Hinterhof: Play for today 7" single
Karen Novotny X: 3 minutes over Brussels playable picture postcard disk (I'm not brave enough to risk playing this so I downloaded the track from Bandcamp - it is free).

The last four are all released by Dom Martin whose records are always interesting to listen to and are beautiful things to own.
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

50 cents each.

Introducing... is NOT a pirate, it's an oval Vee Jay, mono.
version II cover and record.

http://www.eskimo.com/~bpentium/beatles ... intro.html

also 50 cents each

olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Vinyl:
Mogwai: Zidane
Skids: Fanfare
Spear Of Destiny: The Price You Pay
Spear Of Destiny: Outland
The Undertones: Sin Of Pride
The Undertones: Hypnotised
Mark Lanegan: Imitations (have this on CD already)

Skids, Undertones and SOD were bought as a joblot cheaply. The Skids and Undertones were the attraction. The SOD may stay but only because I have happy memories of Paul Morely regularly writing scathing reviews in the NME of Kirk Brandon's ears rather than his gigs and records. :lol: :lol:

CD:
Slowdive: Just for a day deluxe reissue (realised I only ever owned this on cassette, so bought the CD.)

Cassette:
Anthroprophh: ユーフォー

I'm not sure how to pronounce the band name, let alone the title! This is the second tape I have bought in a decade. A limited release of 77 8) . The other tape was The Heads RSD release of Everyone knows, unsurprisingly.

I have been servicing my tape deck in anticipation and rummaging in big boxes full of old tapes :D
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

olan wrote:Cassette:
Anthroprophh: ユーフォー

I'm not sure how to pronounce the band name, let alone the title! This is the second tape I have bought in a decade. A limited release of 77 8) . The other tape was The Heads RSD release of Everyone knows, unsurprisingly.

I have been servicing my tape deck in anticipation and rummaging in big boxes full of old tapes :D
Managed to nab one of these myself. They will be selling a CD version of this at Psych Fest.

It is also the second tape Anthroprophh has released on ZamZam Records. I got one last year that was an edition of 66. One side of the cassette appeared as a bonus track on the CDR of the debut album. More info: http://www.discogs.com/Anthroprophh--/release/4370842
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Lambchop : Live at XX Merge (LP)
The Clientele: Suburban Light (reissue LP w/bonus CD)
Kort (Kurt Wagner from Lambchop and Cortney Tidwell): Invariable Heartache (LP)
Aphex Twin: SYRO (3xLP preorder)
Buzzcocks: Orgasm Addict (7")
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

4 LP set, box has been cut into front & back covers, and there's no booklet.

but for less than $1 per disc, I'll take a chance to see if I like it.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Soft Machine- BBC Radio 1967-1971
Massacre- Meltdown
High Dependency Unit- Metamathics
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

Bomp! reissue of Playing with Fire on transparent yellow wax

http://imgur.com/a/khddb
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Cheval Sombre/Spectrum split 7" for £1.73... bargain-arama!

:D
stegraham
Known user

Post by stegraham »

Earthless Meets Heavy Blanket - In a Dutch Haze : don't know how long this has been released, but spotted it last week and bought straight away. Just under an hour of fretboard meltdown. Lovely!
Joel Gion - Apple Bonkers : Much better than I thought it would be. Some good stuff on here!
Got A Girl - I love you but I must drive off this cliff now : maybe a guilty pleasure? Not sure. Mary Elizabeth Winstead and Dan the Automator. I like it!
Popcorn Girls - Various : Bob Stanley and the Croydon Municipal label are releasing some great compilations this year. This is a follow up to the Sweet and Salty Popcorn comp, 20 tracks from the Belgium "Popcorn" scene.
The Primitives - Spin-a-rama : new 7" to promote their new long player. Think I like the b-side better. Really looking forward to the album.
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

my bargain disc was Ian Dury - New Boots and Panties!! for $2
beaker73
Known user

Post by beaker73 »

J. Mascis - Tied to a star (loser edition, pink vinyl)
Ryan Adams - s/t
Spiritualized - Fucked Up Inside (plain reissue)
The Beatles - Revolver (mono reissue)
and the bargain bin score:
The BeeGees - Greatest Hits (bought because of "I started a joke", beautiful song)
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

Sundazed reissues cuz I can't locate affordable originals and cuz I did a sale/swap with a guy:
- Stooges Fun House
- Stooges Stooges

Donovan - A Gift from a Flower to a Garden box

Spinal Tap soundtrack (NONE MORE BLACK!)

Camper Van Beethoven Take the Skinheads Bowling 12"
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

New LP's from Allah la's, Goat, Anthroproph, White Hills and Camera.

Cd's from Gene Clark (No Other)

7" singles from Ryan Adams, Allah Las

and not enough time to listen to any of them !
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

A few pre orders:
Mark Lanegan- Phantom Radio LP
Dream Police- Hynotized LP
Courtney Barnett- Split EP pink cover & vinyl LP

Just popped for the semi official Rolling Stones- Brussels Affair box set. 3x Lp, 2x CD, Litho, Deluxe book, a watch and who knows what else. Not one of the crazy priced signed ones. Sold off some rare records to justify this.

Others thru that crazy Insound sale:
Lawless Soundtrack- Nick Cave & Warren Ellis production with Mark Lanegan Emmylou Harris and others.
Hopewell Good Good Desperation Vinyl LP
Light Heat Vinyl LP
The Phenomenal Handclap Band Form & Control Vinyl LP
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Camera has a new album out????
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

TheWarmth wrote:Camera has a new album out????
Yup.

https://shop.tapeterecords.com/records/ ... oxide.html
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Went trawling for bargains this morning and picked up the following:

Slipstream - Computer Love 2x7" promo pack (one pink vinyl, one white vinyl - both single sided)
Slipstream - Sundown 7" (yellow vinyl)
Slipstream - Computer Love 7" (rare green vinyl - single sided)
Slipstream - Computer Love 7" (pink vinyl - single sided)
Slipstream - Your Presence 7" (blue vinyl)

All for less than £10!

Already have the pair of "Come Back" and "Up In Heaven" 7" singles so these will sit just nice with them! Hopefully have the debut album on vinyl arrive in the post too!
Last edited by Laz69 on Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

runcible wrote:
TheWarmth wrote:Camera has a new album out????
Yup.

https://shop.tapeterecords.com/records/ ... oxide.html
It's better than the first too. Not that there was anything wrong with the first album, I just think this one has a harder edge.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

A fair bit over the last few months. Rarely get a chance to post and stuff...

The Slits - Cut
WTF. Where has this record been my entire life. This is fucking awesome and immediately elevated to the greatest punk/dub/reggae album ever. Amazing!

Jah Wobble presents PJ Higgins - Inspiration - Mr Wobble and a beautiful voice in a mellower dub set.

Lee 'Scratch' Perry - Back On The Controls - The best Lee Perry record in years. The dub side is awesome! Black Ark era equipment used and abused by Mr Perry himself.

Manic Street Preachers - Futurology. Impulse buy from my local globalization-friendly supermarket. And you know what? It's fucking brilliant - and I'm surprised as anybody. Their best record in twenty years. Shit... now I feel old. Having never heard early Simple Minds it's fairly influenced by them apparently, for those on here who like that. But yeah, excellent.

From the same shop I also picked up a true bargain in the shape of Neil Young's Official Release Series 1-4 (Neil Young, Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere, After The Goldrush and Harvest remastered a few years back) in a box for a mere seven pounds - that's a mere £1.75 for each album!

They sound absolutely fantastic of course, and immediately replace the original Reprise/Warners CDs. Everybody... in particular sounds massive. Hope he carries on with the album by album remasters - the next four would be amazing in a similar set.
O P 8
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

The Jam - The Gift
The Jam - Setting Sons
Stranglers - Rattus Norvegicus
Stranglers - No More Heroes
Photon Band ‎- Pure Photonic Matter Volume 1 (PA based band, ltd. to 500)
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Shopping at the Piccadilly Records Pop-up shop at Liverpool International Festival of Psychedelia:

Black Bombain: Far Out
Psyche for Sore Eyes 2
Pzyksevens Vol 1d
Liverpool International Festival of Psychedelia 12"

Shopping at Probe in Liverpool (a real shop :shock: )
Aphex Twin: Syro
The Heads: Everybody Knows We Got Nowhere Box Set
(also snagged 2XCD promo and extra promo poster that is destined to be framed as freebies :D :D :D :D )

Virtual shopping
Fiend 1: Caledonian Gothic
Fiend 2: Caledonian Cosmic
Fiend 3: Caledonian Mystic
(Being Brendan O'Hare I was sure I already owned these, but there are no rips on my iPod or server, and I could not find the CDs - cheap as chips to buy on discogs though)
Pretty Lightening: There are Witches in the Woods (LP/download from Bandcamp)
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

White Hills - Glitter, Glamour, Atrocity. - is this re- mastered? it sounds fantastic compared to the mp3s I had before.
Anthroprophh - Outside The Circle, superb,
Goat - Commune,
Wand - Ganglian Reef,
Psych For Sore Eye`s 2 - ep.
The Myrrors - Solar Collector,
The Myrrors - Burning Circles In The Sky,
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

olan wrote: Virtual shopping
(Being Brendan O'Hare I was sure I already owned these, but there are no rips on my iPod or server, and I could not find the CDs - cheap as chips to buy on discogs though)
Well worth the purchase! I'm sure plenty more people would love these... 8)
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Sleepy Sun- Fever. yup, never actually ever got round to getting a physical copy of this. after Sandstorm Woman blew me away at Psych Fest had to be done.
Cian Nugent & The Cosmos- Born with the Caul. loose and jammy folk, shades of Dirty Three in the violin and some fine guitar playing.
Jonathan Wilson- Gentle Spirit. read about this guy in the latest Shindig, really like the sound of this, it's kind of Laurel Canyon west coast folk but with some floaty Floydy bits too.
Nucleus- Elastic Rock. jazz fusion, these guys have some links with Soft Machine and I can definitely hear some parallels.
Bob Dylan- Another Self Portrait. thought it was time to catch up seeing as the next Bootleg Series is out soon. really enjoying this- it totally makes me reevaluate this period of Dylan. if this stuff was released today it would be considered some of the finest Americana around.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Laz69 wrote:
Absolutely, I think it was you posting on Facebook about these in the last week or so that reminded me about them 8) . It is a shame that this work is so unknown. Some of the music is astonishing.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

angelsighs wrote: Cian Nugent & The Cosmos- Born with the Caul. loose and jammy folk, shades of Dirty Three in the violin and some fine guitar playing.
Nice to see him getting noticed outside of Ireland. I started a thread about him some time back in the Music section, don't think there was too much interest.
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

olan wrote:
Laz69 wrote:
Absolutely, I think it was you posting on Facebook about these in the last week or so that reminded me about them 8) . It is a shame that this work is so unknown. Some of the music is astonishing.
Yeah i had been listening to them and discussing them with my brother only to find there were no examples of those albums on Youtube so i worked out how to create quick and easy Youtube videos so i could upload some! Still listening to them this week. The second album (Caledonian Cosmic) is just incredible. As spaced out and as noisy as they come...
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

sunray wrote:
angelsighs wrote: Cian Nugent & The Cosmos- Born with the Caul. loose and jammy folk, shades of Dirty Three in the violin and some fine guitar playing.
Nice to see him getting noticed outside of Ireland. I started a thread about him some time back in the Music section, don't think there was too much interest.
ah cool didn't know there was a thread! only been aware of him the past few months. I think a lot of people on this board would enjoy it.
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

Plus King Crimson's Discipline.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Last 6 albums I bought...

Post by BzaInSpace »

Spiritualized - Fucked Up Inside [2014 Plain 180gm etc] - The sleeve is a thing of beauty. I've never even seen this before in real life. Sound wise it needs lots of volume to work, but we knew that already. If you can get around the US Import VAT & 'Handling Fee' Royal Mail scam you can get a mint copy for about £15. :wink:

Grinderman - Grinderman. [vinyl] Gotta love Grinderman and very pleased to own a vinyl copy of this at last.
Feral magnificence, probably...

Aphex Twin - SYRO. [mp3] Didn't feel the urge to blow so much on the vinyl edition with this, to be honest I think Aphex Acid is more suited for headphones anyway. I'm almost surprised at how conventional this album is. Inventive and endlessly intricate yes, but no detours into extreme drill & bass or distorted insanity. Maybe that's a good thing.

John Coltrane - Offering: Live at Temple University 1966. [CD] A very late recording and recent Resonance release: great sound and phenomenal energy, warped jazz fire music and meditative tranquil moments. Good for long drives in darkness.

Leftfield - Rhythm & Stealth [double vinyl - awesome charity shop find #1] Been a few years since I heard this and it's such a glorious bass-heavy noise. The best of it is totally dubbed up. Amazing find as it's in perfect condition. Double vinyl for fatter grooves = extra bass power...

Martha Reeves - Martha Reeves [1974 vinyl - awesome charity shop find #2]. Never even heard of this before, but the personnel list blew me away: Nicky Hopkins, James Jamerson, Dennis Coffey, Klaus Voorman, Clydie King and Bobby Keys(!) are all on this widescreen, lush soul/R&B record - the first track is a Van Morrison cover. According to wiki this was Martha's debut solo album, recorded at massive expensive but did not perform well commercially. Yet another lost classic then...
O P 8
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

some albums procured from a fellow Outpatient who was having a CD clearout ;)

Clinic-Do it
Asteroid#4 An Amazing Dream
Brian Jonestown Massacre- Bravery Repetition and Noise
The Besnard Lakes-Are The Roaring Night

then some impulse purchases the other night:

The Rain Parade- Emergency Third Rail Power Trip/Explosions in The Glass Palace
The Psychic Paramount- Live 2002 Franco-Italian Tour

now just gotta find time to listen to all these!!
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

I'm the guilty cd clearout man (more to come)

The following have recently been purchased, many of which are replacing cd versi
The first 4 cd's angelsighs mentions for starters !

Pink Floyd-DSOTM, no idea how rare or what copy I have but its in good nick
Sonic Boom-1st album
Kikagaku Moyo-Both albums (also got the EP as well)
Mark lanegan band-New one
Throwing Muses-University and Limbo (2 cracking albums, keeping the cd versions of these I reckon as well)
Six Organs of admittance-Empty The Sun (LP and book) didnt even know this existed !

There are loads more but cant remember, every day is a delivery, postman is pissing himself laughing everytime he sees me !!
I'm also financially ruined !!
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Aquarian-Time wrote:I'm also financially ruined !!
The Cardinal is to blame!!! :D

This week i've picked up the following vinyl:

Asteroid #4 - Asteroid #4
Goat - Live Ballroom Ritual
Bardo Pond/Carlton Melton - Split EP
Kikagaku Moyo - Forect Of Lost Children

and, erm...
One Direction - Midnight Memories (picture disc) (bought for my daughter as she was interested in my records and asked whether 1D have any... bought it as a surprise for her
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

Suicide self-titled, 1999 reissue w/ 2 extra tracks
Urge Overkill ‎- Jesus Urge Superstar
Be Bop Deluxe ‎- Live! In The Air Age (black EP & white album)
Phil Manzanera ‎- Primitive Guitars

and a buddy gave me some free stuff: Lou Reed, Amon Düül 2, Bryan Ferry, Roxy Music, Phil Manzanera & Quiet Sun.
beaker73
Known user

Post by beaker73 »

and, erm...
One Direction - Midnight Memories (picture disc) (bought for my daughter as she was interested in my records and asked whether 1D have any... bought it as a surprise for her[/quote]

That's really sweet :wink:
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Laz69 wrote:
and, erm...
One Direction - Midnight Memories (picture disc) (bought for my daughter as she was interested in my records and asked whether 1D have any... bought it as a surprise for her
Fair play! I wasn't allowed to touch the record player until I was about 14. I wish my kids would show an interest in vinyl, but they are more keen on 1D via Spotify on an iPhone........ :shock: Dunno where we got 'em from...... :roll:
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Bloody hell, didn't realise how long its been since I updated my vinyl purchases on this thread. Afraid this is a bit of a longer list than the standard "last 5" so please bear with me:-

Mogwai - CODY (box set)
Kikagaku Moyo - Mammatus Clouds (Cardinal Fuzz version)
The National - High Violet (violet vinyl edition)
Spacemen 3 - Hypnotised/Just to See You Smile 12" (no poster though :( )
Grumbling Fur - Preternaturals
L.A. Hell Gang - Thru Me Again
Guardian Alien/The Cosmic Dead - Tunnel Channel Vol 1 (red vinyl)
Anthroprophh - Outside The Circle (grey vinyl)
Goat - Live Ballroom Ritual
The Heads - Tilburg
Cheval Sombre - Mad Love Remixes 12"
Camera - Remember I was Carbon Dioxide
Various Artists - Official Liverpool International Festival of Psychedelia 12"
Various Artists - Psych For Sore Eyes 2 double 7"
Goat - Commune (gold vinyl)
Lay Llamas - Ostro (yellow vinyl)
Fuxa - Dirty Frequencies (clear splattered vinyl)
Eternal Tapestry - Guru Overload (red vinyl)
Kikagaku Moyo - Forest of Lost Children

Phew, and I've still quite a bundle to come via Cardinal Fuzz :shock:
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Walker, Scott + Sunn O))): Soused (2xLP)
Mogwai: Music Industry 3. Fitness Industry 1. (12" EP)
Grouper: Ruins (LP)
Fleetwood Mac: Bare Trees (LP)
Fleetwood Mac: Tusk (LP)
Fleetwood Mac: Future Games (LP)
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

TheWarmth wrote:Walker, Scott + Sunn O))): Soused (2xLP)
Mogwai: Music Industry 3. Fitness Industry 1. (12" EP)
)
What is the Soused LP like Paul? I nearly bought it today, but Probe remembered that they had a bunch of stuff on back order for me, so I held fire.

Is the Mogwai a pre-order? I did not see it on their Merch stall last week.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

The Scott O))) album is pretty much what I expected: more of Walker's anti-melodic, avant garde, over-the-top weirdness with super sludgy fuzz guitar chords in the background. That's not to say it's not worth hearing. I do enjoy it, but it's something you really have to be in the mood for. It was a bit of an impulse buy. Mrs. Warmth and I had been day-drinking and I forced her to stop into a record store. Knowing that she would be bored out of her mind there, I just grabbed the first thing that caught my eye and we were on our way. Isn't love grand?

The Mogwai EP is a pre-order. I ordered from Amazon.co.uk and the price wasn't too bad, even with overseas shipping. I contacted Sub Pop, but they're not sure if they're going to get any copies. Also, the press release says the 12" version will be "very limited," but maybe take that with a grain of salt.
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Things have snowballed recently...

Cosmic Dead/Mugstar split 12" just arrived
Slipstream - Slipstream (white vinyl + free 7") on its way
Sonic Boom - Spectrum (original spinning sleeve)
Boo Radleys - Everythings Alright Forever (first issue + free 7")
Spacemen 3 - Threebie 3 LP
The Rolling Stones - Its Only Rock'N'Roll LP (bargain bin find - £2)

Just missed out on an embossed copy of Playing WIth Fire, but probably for the best...

And all my Cardinal Fuzz records should be arriving soon too!
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

This weekend I went nuts again in the local shop's 50 cent room, and bought 64 records. among them:

Miles Davis - Big Fun (in a plain white sleeve); The Man With The Horn
Kool & The Gang ‎- Wild And Peaceful
Ella Fitzgerald ‎- Newport Jazz Festival Live At Carnegie Hall, July 5, 1973
Ella Fitzgerald ‎- Clap Hands, Here Comes Charlie!
Billie Holiday ‎- The Golden Years (3 LP box)
Vangelis ‎- Opera Sauvage
Peter Baumann ‎- Strangers In The Night
Creedence Clearwater Revival ‎– Green River
Kraftwerk - Trans Europe Express
Shriekback ‎- Oil And Gold

spent a bit more for :
The Church - Starfish
The Cramps - Off The Bone
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Van Morrison - Moondance [2013 Expanded & Remastered edition]
Mark Lanegan - Phantom Radio [Deluxe + No Bells On Sunday EP]
Fairport Convention - Liege & Lief [2002 Remaster]

All these are on CD.

What's realy made my day/month/year was that earlier this week the amazing Azealia Banks finally released her long awaited (3 years +?) proper debut album Broke With Expensive Taste.

With no promotion whatsoever other than a tweet suddenly thing thing was available on iTunes. Duly purchased and burned for the car, it looks like ART OFFICIAL AGE has finally been knocked off the go-to album. This stuff is great, so inventive and every track rips into different styles. There are elements of old-school jazz that suddenly tighten into Burial-esque soundscapes. Raw drum & bass spliced with avant-garde pop tones.

After only a few listens so many bits of it have wormed into my brain. Her rapping and vocals are basically shit-hot.

'212' has rightfully been included here too.

Already a late contender for Album Of The Year.

Azealia... I salute you.
O P 8
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

New Hookworms vinyl arrived yesterday, not had chance to play yet but product is very nice :D
'Remember, change is not good'
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Got a nice bundle of vinyl from The Cardinal the other day (with at least 3 more on their way from him!):-

The Myrrors - Solar Collector
White Manna - Come Down Safari (picture disc)
White Manna - Live Frequencies
The Janitors - Evil Doings of an Evil Kind

Plus these 2 for good measure:-

Hookworms - The Hum (lindies only edition on clear vinyl with 7" and tote bag)
Cosmic Dead/Mugstar - Split 12" on oxblood red vinyl
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone