Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, spzretent, MODLAB, NightWash

Laz69
Known user

Re: Last five albums/lp's you bought?

Post by Laz69 »

Recent purchases...

Both Your Smiling Now LPs
Carlton Melton/Kandodo split LP
Chuck Berry's Golden Decade 2LP (charity shop find... 99p and is still playable unlike most of the other LPs they had!)

And the journey to replace all my Spacemen and associated continued with the purchase of the following...

Playing With Fire LP (on BOMP and a lovely yellow vinyl copy!)
Big City Remix 12"

Slowly but surely!
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Bit of a spree following the redundancy...

Earth - Primative & Deadly
Grouper - Ruins
Stereolab - Transient random-noise...
Stereolab - Peng (both originals)
The Velvet Underground - s/t
Lou Reed - Transformer (surprised I didn't have it, maybe I lost it)
Slowdive - Souvlaki (music on vinyl to replace my japanese bootleg)
The Heads - Everybody Knows We Got Nowhere
Sigur Ros - Agaetis Byrjun
Carlton Melton / Kandodo 3 split
Kikagaku Moyo - s/t
Dead Meadow - Peel Sessions
Can - Ege Bamyasi
Nick Cave - Let Love In
The Pop Group - Citizen Zombie

Not the cheapest afternoon but nice all the same. Nothing too out of the ordinary bought there though.
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

This list above is quite nice - eclectic, and all very nice to have. You are right many are familiar, but that is not a bad thing.
Well done!
"Everything is a Poison; it is the amount or degree that separates one Poison from another"
Paracelsus
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

Continuing my never ending spree ;

First LP Your smiling now ...etc on Cardinal Fuzz
Dead Meadow-Peel Sessions
Moon Duo New one with 7"
Black Bombain LP on Cardinal Fuzz
Neil Young&Crazy Horse -Zuma replacing my cd version
Sigur Ros 2 nd and 3rd album represses

plus a fair selection of GPS, Earworm back catalogue stuff, as the completest in me sets to work !!

oh and seasons 3 and 4 of walking dead on dvd.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

My latest purchases include:-

You're Smiling Now... - Population IV
Anthroprophh - UFO
Carlton Melton/Kandodo - Creepy Crawl Split 12"
Thelightshines - Now The Sandman Sings (original blue/clear pressing)
Moon Duo - Shadow of the Sun (red vinyl + 7")
Etermal Tapestry - Wild Strawberries (double white vinyl)

Plus a load of things I've pre-ordered which I can't even remember....I think I must be getting as old/forgetful as Olan :lol: :roll:

Oh, and 250 copies of the Kill West EP on black/red split-coloured vinyl (I know, I'm a big fan :wink: )
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Shinesalight wrote: Plus a load of things I've pre-ordered which I can't even remember....I think I must be getting as old/forgetful as Olan :lol: :roll:
You're on the list mate.......... :roll:

:D
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Just picked up a copy of the original Glass Records Transparent Radiation 12" for €20... steal of the year so far for me!
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Laz69 wrote:Just picked up a copy of the original Glass Records Transparent Radiation 12" for €20... steal of the year so far for me!

Good effort mate. Been tracking that for a while but not found it that cheap anywhere yet.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Will review my "steal" claim once it arrives obviously! :D
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

I was very pleased to obtain an autographed LP of "Captain Beefheart's SHINY BEAST" from a Radio Station owner who is a REAL Beefheart fan. The shrink-wrap was carefully cut and folded back and then signed by "Don Van Vliet" at an early backstage event and has never been played; we have known one another since about that time, (and he had 2 copies!) So, "SHINY BEAST" w/ the Captain's signature has been added to my little collection. He and Zappa were fantastic; and inside the shrink-wrap, the Captain added an insert of
"Be Kind - don't be manKind" - CB; but that has been placed in a tiny, matted frame; so I will add it to a wall of similar small autographed inserts. Very neat.
"Everything is a Poison; it is the amount or degree that separates one Poison from another"
Paracelsus
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

The Vacant Lots - 7" of remixes by Alan Vega &Anton Newcombe
Michael Head & The Red Elastic Band - Velvets In The Dark/Koala Bear 7"
Carlton Melton/Kandodo3 - Creepy Crawl split ep,
Hookworms -The Hum, (clear vinyl & 7" single)
Viet Cong - s/t,
Moon Duo - Shadows In The Sun( red vinyl & 7" single)
Ty Segal - Manipulator,
Anthroprophh - UFO,
The Myrrors - Arena Negra,
Spectres- Dying,
Hey Colossus - In Black And Gold,
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

A few nice things via Norway and Sweden

1). Science Poption "You've got me high - (I can't come down)"/ "Back in Town" UK Columbia DB 8106 PROMO; 1966; (PROMO pressed Jan.13th, 1967) Swedish Band; "KT tax"; in a Columbia Sleeve (YouTube Photo is an LP; Stock Photo below)
2). Hawkwind "In Search of Space" [sealed] Original 1971 "Gimmix" Pack USA Pressing
3). Pink Floyd "Apples and Oranges" 7" HOLLAND PicSleeve 1967 (as new pressing)
4). Pink Floyd "Apples and Oranges" 7" GERMANY PicSleeve 1967 (as new pressing)
5). Pink Floyd "It Would be so Nice"/ "Julia Dream" 7" DANISH PROMO ONLY sent to SWEDEN (unplayed and VERY Obscure - Unique Pic Sleeve). I obtained these (3) PF singles from a long time friend & Dealer in Norway.
Attachments
SCIENCE POPTION "You/ve Got Me High - (I can't come down)"/ "Back in Town" 1966 Promo pressed Jan 13th 1967 STOCK PHOTO
SCIENCE POPTION "You/ve Got Me High - (I can't come down)"/ "Back in Town" 1966 Promo pressed Jan 13th 1967 STOCK PHOTO
SCIENCE POPTION Youve Got Me High - I can't come down 1966 Promo pressed Jan 13th 1967.jpg (31.9 KiB) Viewed 9615 times
PF "Apples and Oranges" (Barrett)/ "Paintbox" (Wright) HOLLAND 1967
PF "Apples and Oranges" (Barrett)/ "Paintbox" (Wright) HOLLAND 1967
PF Apples and Oranges HOLLAND 1967zeta400b.jpg (42.12 KiB) Viewed 9615 times
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Last five albums/lp's you bought?

Post by semisynthetic »

I am very fond of finding "First Releases", or at least the start of a career of a band or Artist that I enjoy, (or may ultimately enjoy), usually in the form of 7" singles, or more recently, CD single PROMOs. I still buy (2) new 7" discs of (many) new releases that either fit in my collection, or I have never heard of before. I have been collecting Danish, Swedish and other recordings of that "area and era"; they tend to be obscure, but I have excellent sources from over the years. As not - so - unusual, the "B" side is quite good and often overlooked or lost in Time. BUT THE PRESSINGS are fantastic; even if the Swedish in particular, used flimsy material for the sleeves; the Danish did NOT as a rule; but almost every variety of make and type of sleeve can be found from there; from simple B&W paper to elaborate, "clarafoil-like" protectant.

This disc, their 2nd "Hit" single, (which I have not yet received), is from one of the strictest of all the overseas people I buy from, and I can honestly say that after all these years, he has sent only the finest pressings I could ever hope to find! In this matter, I am very Lucky to have found such Dealers. (I do have mediocre photographs of the labels, on Decca, however, which I always overlook from this guy). :D This is a Danish Record, and the Pic Sleeve is unique to the Danish release; I would like to share that when it arrives, some weeks from today. I decided to put this one up because of the availability of the Video.
The "relative" importance of this early piece is seen and heard in the Video below, taken from the BBC Archives, March 1965.

Attachments
THEM "Here comes the Night" DANISH label 1965
THEM "Here comes the Night" DANISH label 1965
THEM Here comes the Night DANISH label 1965.jpg (17.09 KiB) Viewed 9589 times
THEM "All for Myself" DANISH PRESSING label 1965
THEM "All for Myself" DANISH PRESSING label 1965
THEM All for Myself DANISH PRESSING label 1965.jpg (17.03 KiB) Viewed 9589 times
Last edited by semisynthetic on Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Last five albums/lp's you bought?

Post by semisynthetic »

A very nice find today; from Portugal, The Spencer Davis Group 7" "Catch You on the Rebop" w/ "The Edge" - a very nice instrumental piece; [unplayed] on VERTIGO # 6059 076; 1973.
Last edited by semisynthetic on Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paracelsus
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Shinesalight wrote:
Laz69 wrote:Just picked up a copy of the original Glass Records Transparent Radiation 12" for €20... steal of the year so far for me!

Good effort mate. Been tracking that for a while but not found it that cheap anywhere yet.
Apart from the vinyl needed a good clean, i'm really rather impressed with its condition. The sleeve was a little dusty but still looks amazing as ever. I gave this a very careful clean and its came up a treat. Listening wise, one side has a few little dirt marks which i'm sure will clean up but it plays well otherwise too.
semisynthetic
Known user

Re: Last few singles and EP's you bought?

Post by semisynthetic »

Some new and very Exceptional Acquisitions, some obscure singles & EP's from Portugal, Angola, France, Denmark and Japan; with perhaps a singular exception, every sleeve and pressing is Unique to the country of origin:

THE SWEET “TEENAGE RAMPAGE”; 7" 45 PORTUGAL RCA Victor LPAO 5004 Glam Rock 1974 Pic Sleeve

BOB DYLAN “WIGWAM” / “COPPER KETTLE”; 7" 45 PORTUGAL CBS 5122 “SELF PORTRAIT“ 1970; Pic Sleeve

YES "AND YOU AND I Pts. 1& 2"; 7" 45 PORTUGAL ATLANTIC/Alvorada Rock Progressivo 1973

THE BEATLES "LET IT BE" / "You Know My Name (look up the number)"; 7" 45 PORTUGAL PARLOPHONE
8E 006-04353 1968 Pic Sleeve

THE SMALL FACES "MY MIND'S EYE” / “SHAKE”; 7" EP 45 FRENCH DECCA 457133 FRANCE 1966 Pic Sleeve

THE BUCKINGHAMS “KIND OF A DRAG” (+3); 7" EP 45 FRENCH COLUMBIA / EMI ESRF 1841 [unplayed] 1966 Pic Sleeve

JEFFERSON AIRPLANE “BALLAD OF YOU AND ME AND POONEIL” (+3) 7" EP 45 PORTUGAL RCA Victor 1966 Pic Sleeve PROMO

PINK FLOYD “POINT TO ME SKY” / “ARNOLD LAYNE”; [as new] 7" 45 JAPAN only ODEON OR-2979 Pic Sleeve/insert

PAUL SIMON “MOTHER AND CHILD REUNION” / ”PARANOIA BLUES”; 7" 45 ANGOLA CBS SSC 1169 1973 Pic Sleeve

MAN “DAY AND NIGHT” / “A HARD WAY TO LIVE”; 7" 45 PORTUGAL UA STEREO 1974 Pic Sleeve

RINGO STARR "ONLY YOU" / "CALL ME"; 7" 45 PORTUGAL APPLE (THE BEATLES) Pic Sleeve

MANFRED MANN “MIGHTY QUINN”/ "By Request - Edwin Garvey" / "As Long As I Have Lovin' "/ “Dealer Dealer” 7" EP 45 PORTUGAL FONTANA P65001 TE; 1967 Pic Sleeve & EP unique to Portugal
Attachments
Manfred Mann Mighty Quinn EP MADE in PORTUGAL P65 001 1E
Manfred Mann Mighty Quinn EP MADE in PORTUGAL P65 001 1E
Manfred Mann Mighty Quinn EP MADE in PORTUGAL P65 001 1Ecr.jpg (24.02 KiB) Viewed 9554 times
Last edited by semisynthetic on Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paracelsus
heisenberg
Known user

Post by heisenberg »

Moon Duo Shadow of the Sun and red 7". So far I think it's pretty poor. Disappointed.
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

heisenberg wrote:Moon Duo Shadow of the Sun and red 7". So far I think it's pretty poor. Disappointed.
If you're in the USA and fancy a trade of some sort, keep me in mind.

Picked up a few nice ones today.

first LP on Glass, but 2nd pressing

Belgian press on transparent blue!

first Belgian press from 1981 on this EP

semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

Really nice additions Dave. I like that last simple buy appealing graphic on what appears to be the reverse of the Jacket.
I have always enjoyed obtaining PROMO copies; they are usually a better pressing, and some are often more than just a little different from the commercial release; nice inserts or Press Releases are sometimes included, too.
Paracelsus
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

Thanks, semi.

That last one is New Order, and it is the front. Here is the back:

heisenberg
Known user

Post by heisenberg »

davedecay wrote:
heisenberg wrote:Moon Duo Shadow of the Sun and red 7". So far I think it's pretty poor. Disappointed.
If you're in the USA and fancy a trade of some sort, keep me in mind.
I'm in the UK, I'm afraid. Otherwise, I'd practically hand you it. The irony being that I had it shipped from the US. Aren't they repressing the red vinyl again? I'm sure I saw this somewhere.

I found the previous album fun and was quite looking forward to see what they'd come up with this time around. Sadly, this record is doing nothing for me. Quite a costly misstep for me.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

I cannot agree with you more. Very disappointing.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
purespace
Known user

Post by purespace »

spzretent wrote:
I cannot agree with you more. Very disappointing.
ditto
I think I feel it coming on
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

Benjamin Booker LP arrived via Post today. you guys heard this yet? from last year.
semisynthetic
Known user

Re: Last few singles and EP's you bought?

Post by semisynthetic »

A "Quote" from the previous page was apparently accidently pasted and placed here; so I have removed it.
Last edited by semisynthetic on Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Paracelsus
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Last albums/LP's you bought?

Post by BzaInSpace »

Long, long overdue - life is incredibly hectic at the moment and I'm way behind with this stuff.
This isn't so much one massive binge but just stuff I've obtained over the last 3/4 months or longer probably - via xmas, birthday, vouchers, reissues and that...

Marshall Allen Presents Sun Ra and His Arkestra - In The Orbit Of Ra

Spectacular 2CD comp of Marshall Allen's own picks of the vast Ra back catalogue, in non-chronological order over three decades of far-out space jazz. Only drawback is due to the nature of the comp there was presumably no room for the lengthier, epic tracks like those from The Heliocentric Worlds of Sun-Ra Vol. 2 or Strange Celestial Roads, Cosmos and countless others. I mean the guy's discography is truly insane. But nothing from Lanquidity ? That might be his best album - certainly the most funkiest. Nothing from the early mutant R&B singles either. Regardless, a great selection...

Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band - Sun Zoom Spark (1970 - 1972)

Lick My Decals Off, Baby is another example of something that has been on bootlegs forever but never actually given an official CD release - despite it's near legendary status. Still working through it although immediately to me it's less inpenenetrable than Trout Mask Replica which still eludes me. It's like the Everest of avant-rock or something... Anyway, this is a beautiful package, Clear Spot sounds better than ever: "Mr. Zoot Horn Rollo, hit that long leaning note and let it float..." and The Spotlight Kid definitely sounds beefier (!) than the 90s Rhino issue. The bonus tracks are most welcome - lots to digest here...

Ray Charles - Live at Newport 1958 [Atlantic Remaster CD]

This is a stunning live set recorded by Tom Dowd, and he captures Ray and his band on a particularly heavy R&B trip. The Raelettes make this even better although they only appear on a few tracks. I had this years ago but at some point realized it had gone missing/borrowed, so good to have it back.

Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin II [2014 Jimmy Page Remaster - 2CD]

Sounding better than ever. The bonus stuff is sadly a bit throwaway for me, but it's made up with the monumental sound of the original album...

North Mississippi Allstars - World Boogie Is Coming [CD]

Love this. The title is a phrase of Jim Dickinson's (RIP) and his sons do him credit with a great selection of swampy electric blues.

Magic Sam's Blues Band - Black Magic [1968 Vinyl]

Probably one of the biggest discoveries of last year was this guy - thanks to a random track on a Mojo mag comp. 'I Feel So Good' was immediately elevated to one of my favourite tracks of all time after hearing it once or maybe twice - this guy and his band were phenomenal. Sounds like amphetamine-laced electric blues, all recorded right in the red. Amazing album.

John Lee Hooker - Boogie With John Lee Hooker [2014 Ace repress]

This was a Xmas gift and I love it. Pure mainline hypnotic electric blues...

Ween - Quebec [CD]

I got really into Ween last year with the random play of a CD I'd bought years ago in one of Fopp Glasgow's massive sales - the amazing White Pepper. As fucked up and wild and shot through with endless absurd humour as this stuff undoubtedly is - anything self-consciously "wacky" would normally be a turn off for me - there is actually real spirit and soul in their recordings, and I'm delving deeper into their catalogue when I can. Quebec, like White Pepper, is from their later works with bigger production values than their early 4-track mayhem so might be easier to digest. But yeah, incredible.

Public Image Ltd. - First Issue
Public Image Ltd. - Album
Public Image Ltd. - The Flowers Of Romance

I'd been meaning to get these 2010 remasters for a long time, simply to replace the original Virgin CDs which were originally mastered in the early days of CD technology, and audibly sounded somewhat lacking. These immediately sound way bigger and brighter: Wobble's bass on the debut now kills. Album I'd never really heard before but I kinda like it - Ginger Baker on drums too! Lastly the CD issue I had of The Flowers Of Romance was way too tinny and treble-heavy, but this new master breathes new life into it and it sounds fucking awesome. Headphone territory definitely... no bonus tracks or extras or even booklet notes and stuff but hey, the music sounds fantastic so what else do you need....
Last edited by BzaInSpace on Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: The Mighty Ra Commands It So.
O P 8
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

Last couple of months:

Cannibal Ox - Blade Of The Ronin
Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp A Butterfly
Lou Reed - Sally Can't Dance/New Sensations/Mistrial (finally completing my LR studio album collection)
Public Service Broadcasting - The Race For Space
Charlemange Palestine - Strumming Music
Gavin Bryars - The Sinking Of The Titanic (already have the original w/ Jesus' Blood, this is the 1+ hour version)
George Russell - Electric Sonata
Brian Eno - I Dormienti/Music For Civic Recovery Centre/"Lightness"/Kite Stories/Compact Forest Proposal
Robert Fripp - all 15 live recordings from his 1979 Frippertronics tour, courtesy of DGM Live
Miles Davis - The Cellar Door Sessions 1970
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

While looking for one musically UNRELATED item, I found a [sealed] Spencer Davis "Traffic" LP from 1968. A USA Copy of "Here We Go Round the Mulberry Bush" FILM Soundtrack. Very 60's with a very Happy Jacket Cover.
Paracelsus
runaway
Known user

Post by runaway »

davedecay wrote: Picked up a few nice ones today.

Ha ha, Digital Dump! I had that on cassette and I STILL have the amazing Jackofficers "Ollie North dickhead" t-shirt that I bought from Gibby back in the day!
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

A few things that I pre-ordered a while back have now come through, plus a trip up to the Independent Label Market in Spitalfields in London yesterday:-

The Myrrors - Arena Negra (Milky clear/bronze haze vinyl 1st press)
The Vacant Lots - (black & white splatter vinyl bought on the bands merch stand at Brighton gig)
Dead Meadow - S/T (reissue on marbled green vinyl)
Radar Men From The Moon - Strange Wave Galore (black with white splatter vinyl)
White Noise Sound - Like a Pyramid Of Fire (good old black vinyl!)
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
SpacemanR
New user

Post by SpacemanR »

Would love to know what you think of the White Noise Sound album as i have their debut which i really enjoyed.

Cheers

R
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

Same Myrrors albums as shinesalight, its really good as well
Spiritualized-Pure Phase 2lp original on dedicated (£35 seemed a decent price, its very good condition)
Primal Scream- Give out... new reissue
The Horrors- Skying and Primary colours on LP
Courtney Barnett-New one
Dead Meadow-Peel Session LP
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

SpacemanR wrote:Would love to know what you think of the White Noise Sound album as i have their debut which i really enjoyed.

Cheers

R
I'd be interested to know what this is like.. the debut didn't blow me away but I enjoyed it and I think there was a lot of potential
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

New Music - SOME from a lilmoxie.com NEAR YOU!

A VERY NICE set of (3) 10" Discs
DEEP DISTANCE "Audio Fidelity" SLOWS A. "Over"/ AA. "There" DD24 10" Heavy Pressing; Black Insert 2015
DEEP DISTANCE "Audio Fidelity" RHODODEDRON A. (Over) Paris Rendezvous" / AA. (here) Le Grind DD28 10" Heavy Pressing; Purple Insert 2015
DEEP DISTANCE "Audio Fidelity" BOSQUES A. (over) "Eomala Recerda" AA. (there) "Mis Manos las Manos"/ Interferencia DD29 10" Heavy Pressing; Green Insert 2015

PINK FLOYD "The Piper at the Gates of Dawn" Bluish/white HEAVY PRESSING' Beautifully done ROIO on the "Fame" "Re-release" Label
VERVE 3LP Set Made by Nippon, Japan w/ Distribution apparently for [Germany?]; by (Kratsui) Colored Vinyl (no OBI)
NEW ORDER "Live 1980" [BEAUTIFUL looking Blue Wax; soundboard recording]; ROIO
THE LUCID DREAM (Very Well Done GPS "Pressing of 750" Translucent Green vinyl) Winter of 2015
THE SEE SEEs "The Bright New Light" w/ Hype Sticker (re-release - Sundazed) [sealed]
NEIL YOUNG "The Box Set Series" 5-8 [sealed]

The Singles and EP's (Below) all have Pic Sleeves Unique to their country of Manufacture and/or release, These recordings were obtained via Portugal and Norway.

THE ANIMALS Side 1: "Inside-Looking Out" / "Pretty Thing" Side 2: "Outcast" / "Big Boss Man" 7" EP 45 PORTUGAL 1966
DECCA 1151
THE BAND Side 1: "Rag Mama Rag" / "Across The Great Divide" Side 2: "The Unfaithful Servant"; 7" EP 45 PORTUGAL CAPITOL EAP-21518 1970
DAVID BOWIE "SPACE ODDITY"/ "Wild Eyed Boy from Free-Cloud" 7" single 45 DUTCH PHILIPS 704 201 BW HOLLAND 1969 CROSBY, STILLS & NASH 1: Judy Blue Eyes Side 2: Long Time Gone/ 7" single 45 PORTUGAL ATLANTIC/ Alvorada N-28-86 (NEIL YOUNG) late 1969
NEIL YOUNG "FOR STRONG WINDS" / "HUMAN HIGHWAY" 7" single 45 JAPAN PROMO Only WARNER P-415-R 1970
NEIL YOUNG "TIMES FADES AWAY"/ "The Last Trip to Tulsa" 7" single /45 PORTUGAL REPRISE (BUFFALO SPRINGFIELD ) 1973
THE WHO "RELAY" / "WASPMAN" 7" single 45 PORTUGAL POLYDOR 2121142 1973
THE WHO "DOGS" / "CIRCLES" 7" single 45 PROMO JAPAN ONLY Pic SLEEVE POLYDOR DP-1595 1968
THE ROLLING STONES Side 1: It's all over now / Carol Side 2: Tell me (You're coming back) / Can I get a Witness? 7" EP 45 PORTUGAL DECCA PEP 1081 1964 (PROMO EMBOSSED Label)
JIMI HENDRIX EXPERIENCE "ROOM FULL OF MIRRORS Parts 1 and 2; 7" single / 45 PORTUGAL TECLA / EMBER (PROMO EMBOSSED Label) late 1969
Attachments
HENDRIX Room Full of Mirrors l -parte PORTUGAL PROMO Embossed Label
HENDRIX Room Full of Mirrors l -parte PORTUGAL PROMO Embossed Label
HENDRIX Room Full of Mirrors l -parte PORTUGAL PROMO Embossed Label.jpg (33.82 KiB) Viewed 9768 times
THE ROLLING STONES Its All Over Now EP PORTUGAL PROMO Embossed LABEL
THE ROLLING STONES Its All Over Now EP PORTUGAL PROMO Embossed LABEL
THE ROLLING STONES Its All Over Now EP PORTUGAL PROMO LABEL30.jpg (28.03 KiB) Viewed 9768 times
THE WHO Circles Label JAPANESE PROMO w Pic Sleeve and insert 1968
THE WHO Circles Label JAPANESE PROMO w Pic Sleeve and insert 1968
THE WHO Circles Label JAPANESE PROMO w Pic Sleve and insert30.jpg (22.79 KiB) Viewed 9769 times
Paracelsus
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

Just picked up a clear vinyl nod. copy of Vacant Lots/Alan Vega split 10" on Fuzz Club very happy :D
'Remember, change is not good'
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

The Velvet Underground - The Velvet Underground [Super Deluxe Edition]

Spotted this on amazon for a mere £35 a few weeks back so had to indulge. The remasters are pretty cool, although I've not even listened to the mono or 'Closet' mix yet, for me the real deal is the awesome "Unissued 1969 4th album" disc, so good to hear these songs at last without the 80's digital reverb and with Lou and Sterling's guitars up in the mix like they should. The live tracks are very tasty and sound incredible but I've only dipped into this. This is a beautiful edition, very plush indeed and I'm glad I held off getting either the all-digital format or the 2CD version...

Laura Marling - Short Movie

Looking forward to hearing this, her last album was one of the best I heard last year and roundabouts. Awesomely talented - I wish I could play guitar like her.

Prodigy -The Day Is My Enemy

On a few initial plays in the car, where inevitably it sounds ridiculously loud and OTT and I find myself watching the speed limits closely when this is on. Anyway, a mixed bag, the best tracks for me don't have Keith Flint or Maxim doing their pantomime 'scary' vocal stuff...

The opening and title track featured none other than Martina-Topley Bird, and sounds incredible. There are two tracks on there that are probably the best stuff they've ever done, 'Wild Frontier' and in particular 'Beyond The Deathray', they take that kind of retro, John Carpenter-style synth hooks and completely go to town. Evocative and aggressive, pretty fucking amazing I have to say. I suspect some may have hoped the last Daft Punk album would have sounded a bit like these.
Sleaford Mods guy does a truly unhinged vocal on 'Ibiza', which is hilarious despite it's righteous message of pure scorn on the superstar DJ set, flying in on Lears and playing pre-mixed sets via USB sticks.
Anyway, I'll always have a soft spot for the Prodigy, 'Out of Space' was the first single I ever bought, and I think Liam Howlett is a production and engineering genius. I wasn't totally sold by their last album but I think 2004's Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned is a genuine lost classic...

Staple Singers - Freedom Highway Complete : Recorded Live at Chicago's New Nazareth Church

By pure chance a month or so ago I found this was finally being reissed officially - Oh Happy Day indeed.
This has been out of print for years, and I know from past interviews a massive, formative influence on J. Spaceman, and therefore Spacemen 3 and Spiritualized. It's actually incredible, I've only ever heard a few random tracks before as the original, shorter formation of the album is unavailable anywhere out there. This Sony 'Legacy' Edition has the whole show they played, live in this church, complete with the congregation getting amped up.
So far, it's beautifully ragged and emotive music, and sounds extra incredible if you've had a shit day. Potentially one for the 'greatest live albums ever' lists. Stunning.
O P 8
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

Both the Velvet Underground BOX SET and the Staple Singers are great choices; I have not heard the others (yet). This Thread has always been one if my very FAVORITE Threads; I read every single one; it is a wonderful source of finding new music no matter what the year or era; since I have been so far away from a proper shop for a long time, I like to see what is out there and share some recordings I added to my own collection. I was so pleased to find these singles and EPs, and the new music with more on the way, I did not wait to receive it yet before posting; the 3 Dealers I used have always been Great.
Paracelsus
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

mc wrote:Last couple of months:

Cannibal Ox - Blade Of The Ronin
Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp A Butterfly
Lou Reed - Sally Can't Dance/New Sensations/Mistrial (finally completing my LR studio album collection)
Public Service Broadcasting - The Race For Space
Charlemange Palestine - Strumming Music
Gavin Bryars - The Sinking Of The Titanic (already have the original w/ Jesus' Blood, this is the 1+ hour version)
George Russell - Electric Sonata
Brian Eno - I Dormienti/Music For Civic Recovery Centre/"Lightness"/Kite Stories/Compact Forest Proposal
Robert Fripp - all 15 live recordings from his 1979 Frippertronics tour, courtesy of DGM Live
Miles Davis - The Cellar Door Sessions 1970
Hey!

Some amazing stuff here - what do you think of the Cellar Door set?
Also - Kendrick Lamar - any good? I've been sent a copy of it but not listened to it yet, getting a lot of acclaim though it seems.
O P 8
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

I mate of mine who currently lives abroad every now and again sends me a bunch of latest music recommendations and such, most of which comes from the hip-hop/R&B edge.

Have to say this weeks discovery, which I unashamedly picked due to the title, is

Father - Who's Gonna Get Fucked First?

Bizarre, minimalist and hypnotic. Sounds a bit like some of the early Neptunes productions after a bottle of strong liquor. Music for stripclubs on Saturn... :shock:
O P 8
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

BzaInSpace wrote:I mate of mine who currently lives abroad every now and again sends me a bunch of latest music recommendations and such, most of which comes from the hip-hop/R&B edge.

Have to say this weeks discovery, which I unashamedly picked due to the title, is

Father - Who's Gonna Get Fucked First?

Bizarre, minimalist and hypnotic. Sounds a bit like some of the early Neptunes productions after a bottle of strong liquor. Music for stripclubs on Saturn... :shock:
I saw a review of that earlier this week and just thought WTF#ck!! . Is this an underground kinda release or on a major label? My daughter seems to like some hip-hop at the moment Eminem is bad enough, but I`m not looking forward to her bringing this home, man I`m getting old :shock:
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

angelsighs wrote:
SpacemanR wrote:Would love to know what you think of the White Noise Sound album as i have their debut which i really enjoyed.

Cheers

R
I'd be interested to know what this is like.. the debut didn't blow me away but I enjoyed it and I think there was a lot of potential
I really like it but its not a massive departure from the 1st album so if you weren't overly impressed with that one Sighs this one is not going to do too much for you either.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

niamhm wrote:
BzaInSpace wrote: Father - Who's Gonna Get Fucked First?
I saw a review of that earlier this week and just thought WTF#ck!! . Is this an underground kinda release or on a major label? My daughter seems to like some hip-hop at the moment Eminem is bad enough, but I`m not looking forward to her bringing this home, man I`m getting old :shock:
I understand it's on an Atlanta indie label run by the artist himself. I would suggest parental advisory with this one however... a lot of it makes 'Darling Nikki' pretty tame indeed. :oops:
O P 8
semisynthetic
Known user

Re: Last few singles you bought?

Post by semisynthetic »

3 Obscure Singles

THE MOVE "TONIGHT" / "DON'T MESS ME UP"; 7"/45 PORTUGAL STATESIDE 1971

THE WHO "DADDY ROLLING STONES"/ "Anyway, Anyhow, Anywhere"; 7"/45 ITALIAN DECCA ITALY error on Jacket Obverse & Reverse; Plus, although not an error, but usually these "A & B" sides are switched.
And again "AMERICAN SERIES" is emphasized. 1965

THE WHO "WHO ARE YOU" / "HAD ENOUGH" 7"/45 ITALIAN PROMO RCA VICTOR PB 6234 ITALY [dated 1978] [unplayed]
Attachments
THE WHO Had Enough w WHO are You ITALIAN PROMO 1978 [unplayed]
THE WHO Had Enough w WHO are You ITALIAN PROMO 1978 [unplayed]
THE WHO Had Enough w WHO are You ITALIAN PROMO30.jpg (29.16 KiB) Viewed 9993 times
THE WHO Daddy Rolling StoneS w Anyhow Anyway Anywhere ITALIAN error on JACKET 1965
THE WHO Daddy Rolling StoneS w Anyhow Anyway Anywhere ITALIAN error on JACKET 1965
THE WHO Daddy Rolling StoneS w Anyhow Anyway Anywhere ITALIAN error on JACKET30.jpg (34.09 KiB) Viewed 9993 times
The Move TONIGHT w DONT MESS ME UP Portugal 1971
The Move TONIGHT w DONT MESS ME UP Portugal 1971
The Move TONIGHT w DONT MESS ME UP Portugal30.jpg (28.88 KiB) Viewed 9993 times
Paracelsus
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

I just received my Swervedriver double vinyl in the post. I have to say this is possibly the worst pressed bit of vinyl I have ever encountered. Not only does it have monstrous surface noise and pops, but something has clearly gone wrong as one channel is barely audible and it all sounds like the needle is struggling to find any grip in the grooves. This is going back for sure! Anyone else got this and having the same issues?
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

BVCP206 wrote:Just picked up a clear vinyl nod. copy of Vacant Lots/Alan Vega split 10" on Fuzz Club very happy :D
I hope this makes you happy too http://www.shipfullofbombs.co.uk/play2.html

My mate on the local internet radio show I guest on made it in honour of that very 10". Simple yet nicely hypnotic.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Matthew E. White- Fresh Blood
O P 8
semisynthetic
Known user

Re: Last few singles/lp's you bought?

Post by semisynthetic »

Beggars Opera 1971 "Sarabande"/ "Think" 7" 45 PORTUGAL VERTIGO 6059026 (another one of my favorite labels - Vertigo).

and several still-sealed LPs from 1962-2001; including an Original "Lazer Guided Melodies" 2LP set; German.
Last edited by semisynthetic on Sat Apr 11, 2015 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paracelsus
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

It has been a while since I've posted to this thread. I'm not going to try to be comprehensive. All of this lot arrived on or after Wednesday this week 8) :

Folakzoid: III (absolutely excellent stuff on first listen)
The Heads: Nobody Knows
White Noise Sound: Like a Pyramid of Fire (I'm not sure about this at all. On first listen it sounds like Curve in places and stadium rock in others. It lacks any bite/edge whatsoever)
Anthroprophh: Anhedonia (Tour only CDR picked up for me by Dave Caldwell. In a word: Bonkers :D )
Godspeed You! Black Emperor: Asunder, Sweet and Other Distress.

On order: GNOD, White Hills, amongst many other things.
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

I went a bit overboard today, due to a pending sale of a $100 record.

Beatles : Sgt. Peppers Japanese Odeon stereo on transparent ruby vinyl
Beatles : Sgt. Peppers UK Parlophone mono first press
Led Zep I : super-clean 1st press
Led Zep III : super-clean 1st press
The Clash: The Clash UK debut
The Clash: Give Em Enough Rope US orange label Epic
The Stranglers: No More Heroes UK press
The Stranglers: Black & White on marbled gray & black vinyl, US press
The Stooges: The Stooges, 1969 US Elektra very early press
The Undertones: The Undertones, US Sire
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

THE MOVE "CURLY" / "THIS TIME TOMORROW" 7" 45 PORTUGAL STATESIDE PSS 1019 1969 MONO

THE WHO "Whiskey Man" w/ Boris the Spider"; 7' single 45; Both written by John Entwistle JAPAN Polydor 1967 MONO
Attachments
THE WHO Whiskey Man w Boris the Spider both written by John Entwistle side B JAPAN 1967
THE WHO Whiskey Man w Boris the Spider both written by John Entwistle side B JAPAN 1967
THE WHO Whiskey Man w Boris the Spider both written by John Entwistle side B JAPAN 1967.jpg (25.82 KiB) Viewed 9832 times
Paracelsus
stegraham
Known user

Post by stegraham »

Wand – Golem: Much heavier than their debut, Ganglion Reef – almost Black Sabbath like in places. Great stuff!

Hawkwind – This is your captain speaking – your captain is dead: 11 cd box set, includes their first 4 studio albums, live stuff and other random stuff from that era. All for just over 25 quid. Haven’t had a chance to have a proper listen yet.

Moon Duo – Shadow of the Sun: I know opinion is divided on this, but I love it. In A Cloud is a lovely track.

Lightening in a Twilight Hour – Fragments of a former moon: I’ve got this on pre-order, but if it’s similar to the recent 10” Slow Changes, then it’ll be brill. Bobby Wratten’s new band.

Ciao Bella! Italian girl singers of the 60s – Various: I loved the C'est Chic compilations, and have started to learn Italian, so I bought this straight away. Nice!
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

stegraham wrote:Wand – Golem: Much heavier than their debut, Ganglion Reef – almost Black Sabbath like in places. Great stuff!

Hawkwind – This is your captain speaking – your captain is dead: 11 cd box set, includes their first 4 studio albums, live stuff and other random stuff from that era. All for just over 25 quid. Haven’t had a chance to have a proper listen yet.

Moon Duo – Shadow of the Sun: I know opinion is divided on this, but I love it. In A Cloud is a lovely track.

Lightening in a Twilight Hour – Fragments of a former moon: I’ve got this on pre-order, but if it’s similar to the recent 10” Slow Changes, then it’ll be brill. Bobby Wratten’s new band.

Ciao Bella! Italian girl singers of the 60s – Various: I loved the C'est Chic compilations, and have started to learn Italian, so I bought this straight away. Nice!
A VERY NICE LIST! I have several Ciao Bella! LPs I obtained from South America; nice Artwork, too. These are numbered 1- 10; I've been buying my favorite Hawkwind LPs [sealed] while I can do so relatively easily.
Paracelsus
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

Great Big Flamingo Burning Moon - The Wave Pictures. A return to form for this vastly underated trio, properly infectious tunes and lyrically excellent. Pea Green Coat is a brilliant track but the whole record is excellent :D
'Remember, change is not good'
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

Popped into the local shop yesterday.

Keith Moon: Two Sides Of The Moon with die cut cover
The Cult: Love, still in the shrink wrap / cello
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

olan wrote:It has been a while since I've posted to this thread. I'm not going to try to be comprehensive. All of this lot arrived on or after Wednesday this week 8) :

Folakzoid: III (absolutely excellent stuff on first listen)
The Heads: Nobody Knows
White Noise Sound: Like a Pyramid of Fire (I'm not sure about this at all. On first listen it sounds like Curve in places and stadium rock in others. It lacks any bite/edge whatsoever)
Anthroprophh: Anhedonia (Tour only CDR picked up for me by Dave Caldwell. In a word: Bonkers :D )
Godspeed You! Black Emperor: Asunder, Sweet and Other Distress.

On order: GNOD, White Hills, amongst many other things.
sounds like our listening is on the same wavelength this week Olan! I am loving the new Follakzoid too. it's not that different from the last one. yet they have added some new flavours and textures to it.
I am liking the new GYBE, it seems to be dividing opinion, but I like that it's so direct and rocking. it's like if I need a direct injection of Godspeed it's perfect.
I think you hit the nail on the head with White Noise Sound, not heard the new one but the first album, even though great in places, could have had a bit more edge.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

stegraham wrote:Wand – Golem: Much heavier than their debut, Ganglion Reef – almost Black Sabbath like in places.
I've been giving both albums a spin recently and they're pretty good. I like a band that's not afraid to get heavy 8)
To my ears Wand are what Tame Impala should sound like.

Not sure about the Follakzoid album though. Starts off good and then...i dunno...gets kinda boring. It never really lifts off. Further listening required methinks.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
semisynthetic
Known user

Re: Last Luna Moth to land on you?

Post by semisynthetic »

Finally I feel Spring has arrived.
The trees exploded with green almost overnight; and last night, my puppy looked at me nervously as if something was terribly wrong...Then I heard a ruffling and rustling like the sound of a small bird on my knee!

It was a Luna Moth apparently wanting in from the storms. So I put it on the kitchen door and let it out this morning. About 5" - 6" wingspread; this was a male Luna Moth, (small) so I am afraid after his wild night, seeking refuge from the storms will mean little. He is terminally "exhausted". At least that means more of these Beautiful Giant Moths. Some are nearly twice this examples size.

The first attempt at Posting the Image was as close to Life Sized as I can imagine I would achieve, but although it may have been interesting of even sort of educational, I decided the Image was just too large, and would take up a great deal of space; but these are very Beautiful creatures when you see dozens or more against a full moon. From time to time, one hitches a ride. I just let them rest on the curtain over the back door after a drop of honey/ sugar water. Then let them out in the morning.
Attachments
Luna Moth April 17 2015 12:33am
Luna Moth April 17 2015 12:33am
Luna Moth April 17 2015.jpg (47.4 KiB) Viewed 9701 times
Last edited by semisynthetic on Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paracelsus
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Just scored a Glass Records version of Walking With Jesus 12" for my upcoming birthday... :D Recently picked up the 2x10" version of Playing With Fire on Taaang/3rd Stone too. Just the black vinyl version of this but still a nice item.
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

Anamai - Sallows
Eels - Royal Albert Hall
Experimental Audio Research - All Things Being Equal
Funkadelic - Maggot Brain
GNOD - Infinity Machines
Misþyrming - Söngvar elds og óreiðu
Uitzichtloos - De Oogst
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

Death & Vanilla -New LP with bonus cd
JAMC-Live at barrowlands
Slowdive-Blue Day
Giant Sand-Beyond The Valley Of Rain
ANewcome/Tess Parks 10"
Courtney Barnett-Kims caravan 12"
Bardo Pond- RSD Mini LP
Kraftwerk-Autobahn LP (original)
Ryan Adams- 4 pretty ltd 7's- Jacksonville, Vampires, Come Pick me Up (RSD) and one I cant recall
Ride Best Of LP- Not sure why I got this as I have it on cd and its only a best of but hey ho
Kristin Hersh-Sundrops/Cuckoo (Sessions) 7"

Fairly sure I have missed 3 or 4 things here.
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

mail arrival

toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

I'm torn on the newest wave of Spiritualized reissues. Why reissue an album that you can still find in a lot of stores that's only 8 years old? Are these any good?
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

People say the Plain reissues are not well done.

I have bought a few because an original press is often outside my price range. I don't find them to be horrible, but I don't have an original to compare them to, nor do I have a high-end system.
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

These images have long been prepared, but I had not yet shared them 'til today.

I had heard "A Whiter Shade of Pale" on the radio as I drove home one afternoon, and I thought I would add new examples for their sound quality alone. (It is a wonderful, Haunting song with reminders of days and nights long ago and brings back memories that are wonderful to simply have and to recall).

I found some new old stock (NOS) Promo singles, along with a couple of [sealed] LPs, but these are more unusual and quite nice.

1). Procol Harum "A Whiter Shade of Pale" 7" USA PROMO w/ unique Pic Sleeve LATER issue on A&M
2). Procol Harum "A Whiter Shade of Pale" 7" JAPAN PROMO w/ unique Pic Sleeve/ insert
3). Procol Harum "A Whiter Shade of Pale" MONO LP JAPAN PROMO w/ unique Pic Sleeve; OBI and insert
4). Not Shown; 1st LP on Deram, Stereo; (w/ the Stereo Cover pasted over "MONO" underneath); Original issue;
[still sealed]
Attachments
PROCOL HARUM PROMO 7 45 Single Pic Sleeve USA
PROCOL HARUM PROMO 7 45 Single Pic Sleeve USA
PROCOL HARUM PROMO 7 45 Single Pic Sleeve USA 400.jpg (22.61 KiB) Viewed 9722 times
PROCOL HARUM PROMO JAPAN A Whiter Shade of Pale 7 45 Single Pic Sleeve
PROCOL HARUM PROMO JAPAN A Whiter Shade of Pale 7 45 Single Pic Sleeve
PROCOL HARUM PROMO JAPAN A Whiter Shade of Pale 7 45 Single Pic Sleeve 400.jpg (37.97 KiB) Viewed 9722 times
PROCOL HARUM A Whiter Shade of Pale JAPANESE LP MONO
PROCOL HARUM A Whiter Shade of Pale JAPANESE LP MONO
PROCOL HARUM A Whiter Shade of Pale JAPANESE LP MONO release OBI insert.jpg (39.99 KiB) Viewed 9722 times
Last edited by semisynthetic on Wed May 06, 2015 7:36 am, edited 3 times in total.
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

I also happened across a not-so-quite finished photo of THE TATTOOS, "Torrid Trumpet"; an LP I purchased w/ "one of the Nico covers", released in c. 1965; well before The Velvet Underground; she appears to be wearing only a smile; on the London International Record Label. (I obtained a copy of the YouTube example - it is German); The FIRST Nico Cover I have is from early circa 1964. This LP sounds like the background of every 1960's movie where they play some "vaguely familiar", but generally Happy music on the radio while the actors do whatever the script says. Every other "NICO" cover, save one, is clearly a "JAZZ" recording; she was very beautiful; I like her LP's, but I enjoy a "Nico and the Invisible Girls" recording which I think is best considered as a 12" EP. Andy Warhol certainly was a Promoter. (Of course, I realize that Teutonic voice drives some people out of the building). To each their own. Below, from YouTube, is the first track on the LP. "Music to Watch Girls By". This used to play on the radio a LOT. I enjoy Soundtracks, so it is an easy jump for me from this LP to "outtakes from 1960's films". There are an enormous number and variety of cover versions of this piece.

By the way, these Two LPs shown below are the same; in content of tracks; except for Title and Label, and the London copy is clearly "shadowed" darker; the "Lighter" copy is a Deutsche Grammophone pressing.

Attachments
THE TATTOOS Torrid Trumpet c. EARLY 1967 NICO cover on Jacket; before the VU
THE TATTOOS Torrid Trumpet c. EARLY 1967 NICO cover on Jacket; before the VU
THE TATTOOS Torrid Trumpet EARLY 1967 NICO nude on Jacket 400.jpg (36.62 KiB) Viewed 9722 times
Last edited by semisynthetic on Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:34 am, edited 7 times in total.
Paracelsus
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Earthless - Sonic Prayer (pink/purple marbled vinyl)
Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Asunder, Sweet and Other Distress
Various - Live at Bad Vibrations (clear vinyl)
Follakzoid - III (gold vinyl)
13th Floor Elevators - Easter Everywhere (Italian reissue from 2001)
The Heads - Nobody Knows (white vinyl)
Slowdive - Blue Day (RSD release on blue vinyl)
Ride - OX4 - The Best of Ride (RSD release on red vinyl)
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone