Last five albums/lp's you bought?

For anything else...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, spzretent, MODLAB, NightWash

ebbsandflows
Known user

Re: Last five albums/lp's you bought?

Post by ebbsandflows »

That's be aces! Thanks - will PM thingummy.

Tried to record rob da bank last night but i don't trust my top up tv box one bit, plus it said it was the radio 1 rock show. In two days time i'd have had a iRiver to do it nice and easy. Dang! Still it should make it's way to catch up listening this week.

Hope i can returm the favour sometime.

Dunno if i mentioned (as this is a recent purchase thread) Got Brian Jonestown Massacre - My Bloody Underground recently too. Mark Gardiner is credited! Pretty good album, pretty see through red vinyl. Seeing them next month - Fight! fight! fight!
veiko
Known user

Post by veiko »

restless? sleepless? nothing new in the music pipe?
if You are looking for good portion of new sounds to accompany laying under the sun, then perhaps this is something to check out:

ES (headman of the Fonal records - Sami Sänpäkkila)

http://www.escycle.com/

HAUSCHKA

http://www.hauschka-net.de/

PLANNINGTOROCK

http://www.planningtorock.com/
Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

Post by Stuart X.Hunter »

Solvent - Demonstration Tape (1997 - 2007)...eleKtro stuff
Gas - Nah Und Fern...the 4 Gas albums...yumma
Shoulders back, smash it
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

eleKtroniK:musiK wrote: The Bug - London Zoo
How's this? Up to his usual high standard?
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

sunray wrote:
Dunno & Dunno...it's on pre-order (drops july 7th) and it's a total chance album...liked the name/title and read a decent review.
Shoulders back, smash it
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

eleKtroniK:musiK wrote:
sunray wrote:
Dunno & Dunno...it's on pre-order (drops july 7th) and it's a total chance album...liked the name/title and read a decent review.
Ah right, will try and pick it up so in the next while. Anyone into dark, dirty, nasty Electro-Ragga/Dancehall/Grime would do well to pick up this or anything else by him. 8)
Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

sunray wrote:
Ah right, will try and pick it up so in the next while. Anyone into dark, dirty, nasty Electro-Ragga/Dancehall/Grime would do well to pick up this or anything else by him. 8)
I'm lookin' forward too it but a tad worried as I tend to buy new artists in chronological order...but I'll dive straight in with this one. He's done a gazillion off-shoots as well and I think it was one of them that caught my eye/ear originally but the 8hrs between getting that info and arriving in work the next day (i.e. pc access)...I'd forgotten the name but the bug stuck in my nut...so be it.

Anyway for got to add some bog-standard shizzle I pick up along journeys (normally in Tesco's...it's a fcukin' Tesco world we live in);

Deacon Blue - Raintown & WTWKYN
SFA - Hey Venus
Bloc Party - A Weekend In The City
Ver Stones - Rolled Gold

the Blue are a chink in the armour pour moi, SFA because they're dependable (could be a grower as is very well put-together...nice flow) and has anyone heard any stuff with Boom Bip as Neon-Neon?, Bloc Party as they interest me (composition of songs excels on this album...IMO they piss over all other mainstream bands) and the Stones...because I like driving with the window down. Too much attention to early Stones (does nowt for me now) & that stupid Sgt Pepper's bandwagon jumping album...Gimme Shelter is worth the 6quid it cost so still H-A-P-P-Y.
Shoulders back, smash it
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

eleKtroniK:musiK wrote:
sunray wrote:
I'm lookin' forward too it but a tad worried as I tend to buy new artists in chronological order...but I'll dive straight in with this one. He's done a gazillion off-shoots as well and I think it was one of them that caught my eye/ear originally but the 8hrs between getting that info and arriving in work the next day (i.e. pc access)...I'd forgotten the name but the bug stuck in my nut...so be it.
Probably of most interest to people here is that The Bug is in fact Kevin Martin who had a band called God and also played on some of the E.A.R albums. Maybe what caught your eye was Techno Animal, a dubby,sometime avant hip-hop project with Justin Broaderick of Godflesh and Jesu?

I've tried that Neon Neon album, not my cup of tea at all. Far too much 80s cheese for my liking.
ebbsandflows
Known user

Post by ebbsandflows »

Not particularly into Dub, but recently picked up "a big box of dub 2" on the offchance and some good recommendations from the box numbered 1. Some great tracks but has mostly prooved to me that I'm not particularly in to Dub.

Didn't Techno Animal do some Jon Spencer remixes way back? Not bad from recollection. Seen the name bandied about of late - are they coming back? Did they ever go away?

The Blue? tut tut tut :wink:
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Not albums I bought but dug out and played this weekend and they sounded really good:
Woodentops- Giant and Singles comp
Perfect Disaster- UP
Rain Parade- Crashing Dream
Monsoon- Third Eye
and a newie
Duke Spirit- Neptune
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

spzretent wrote: Duke Spirit- Neptune
How's that going...I only know the tit-bit they did on UNKLE new(ish) one...she sounds good as do they
Shoulders back, smash it
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

i really like it and the first one too.
supershonn
Known user

Post by supershonn »

i'd recommed delta spirit if you are into that sound, saw them a few months back with Duke Spirit and they smoked them off of the stage.

strangely enough they (delta spirit, confused yet?) just might be from San Diego.

ohh while i'm at i'd recommend (to only a few of you, RO being one) the band FANTASTIC MAGIC. not sure that their EP does the live show justice.

as for last 5 albums, sheesh, i bought a stack of 45's, everything from the Ronnettes to Sly to Beach Boys (all i want to do!!!!) and more.
Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

Elbow - Whatever the new one is called...something for a journey between A & B...bought there first years ago...seemed right at the time to buy this one.
Isolee - We are Monster (after Rest...which is boss)
Farben - Textsar (Jan Jelenik does pop)
Shoulders back, smash it
gottafire
Known user

Post by gottafire »

Songs in A & E (Deluxe cd and green vinyl)
Spectrum meets Captain Memphis
Third
A Sun Ra compilation, forgot the name...
Raw Power having lost my copy while moving
http://spiritualizedelectricmainline.blogspot.com/

The place for live Spiritualized®!!

Now with added Tufty power!!!
Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

Sonny Munns wrote: RIDE- Today Forever 12" still working at the uphill battle to find RIDE vinyl in the US. Recently bought a copy of the PLAY 12"EP and it showed up craked in half...
I have some Ride Vinyl in the shed (ex's shed)...don't really know what I have/state it's in...i'll check when i get the chance...i'm going to ditch it all or pass it on.

I'll compile a list of the *ahem* decent stuff and it'l be gratis...you pay postage or send something small in return...like a book or a sticker or a comp CD...you get the idea.

Of note there is a nice Windy & Carl album (rare purple...think the majority pressed in red...dunno the name...think it's drawing of sound...yip 600 pressed in purple...25 in maroon...hand finished sleave)
May still have some slowdive...there is ride...telstar ponies...odd spz...think i have the 3LP Sheet One PlastiKman...Some Stones...Ray Charles...Telescopes...fcuk knows...doubt there's anything of value but might be to you. CD's are next...ridiculous waste of space...
Shoulders back, smash it
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

supershonn wrote:ohh while i'm at i'd recommend (to only a few of you, RO being one) the band FANTASTIC MAGIC. not sure that their EP does the live show justice.
ah, thanks! :)
am tuned into their myspace now and enjoying the "imminent groove" track, the others not as much.. they sound to me like a sweater coming unraveled in a circus tent (not that there's anything wrong with that)
If they come round this way I will try and catch them live.

last 5 albums I've bought:
songs in A&E
Carter Family Decca Sessions, vols I & II
Blue Cheer , Vincebus Eruptus
Mamas & Papas , compilation w Twelve Thirty on it, possibly the best song Ever written
supershonn
Known user

Post by supershonn »

hmm, not sure what is on their website, but Fantstic Magic is one of the most mesmerizing live bands i have ever seen. especially for a three piece. they should be on tour soon, gonna try and catch them and the Fleet Foxes (who are amazing as well) tonight. I'll let you know how it went.
Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

Can now add Songs in A & E and Booka Shade new one (both deluxe) to the above treble..

both of those beauties were eyeing me up in the shop tonight...

Thanks J. This is something special...just shed some tears to soul on fire...Peace be with you.
Shoulders back, smash it
yalda
Known user

Post by yalda »

today from 'nudge records'?:

loop - the world in your eyes
the glove.

went to rough trade for songs in a&e green vinyl but they wont have it until next week, bummer as i wont be around and will have to mail order it now.
porkchop
Known user

Post by porkchop »

Dennis Wilson-Pacific Ocean Blue reissue...(must have!)
Songs in A & E sp ed cd...(no dvd like amazon says)
Blackstrap-Steal my horses and run
She & Him-Vol 1
Buddy Holly-Gold (comp)
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

a funny thing happened. it's hilarious, really.
i called round to a mates the other week and he was watching Mean Streets (some'll know where this is going) and i picked up on a song i'd missed on the previous 500 viewings, Pledging My Love. so i hunted it down and it's by johnny ace so i went and ordered it off amazon.

it arrived today.
in the mean (streets) time i got indian giver.
i also ordered a load of other crap on amazon such that that recent soundtrack j did and loads of other stuff i can't now remember but it hasn't arrived so it doesn't technically count. post is slow. oh, one of them was the special edition of One Day It'll Please Us To Remember Even This, the last dolls record. it's ok, but i just wanted the version with bo guesting on the bonus track.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
ebbsandflows
Known user

Post by ebbsandflows »

Had a bit of a second hand fest last week and managed:

Fleetwood mac - self titled AND double vinyl live album (i remember this from a double casette when i was about 11 - they are my achilles heel somewhat)
A compilation of Joy division covers called END or something. Sounded a bit rock to be honest but i've not yet reached the Low and Tortoise tracks.
"Doing it for the kids" a '89 comp by creation featuring house of love, MBV and Primal Scream. It's pretty wicked for such an early offering.
Laurie Anderson - big science. Got this for fairly obvious reasons. It's a bit barking but's got some ace tracks on there. Definitly intrigued me for a second look. A mate told me that "superman" was a number 1 single . . surely they're winding me up?!
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

it's funny, I was just listening to O Superman 3 times in a row last night.
But I remember when it was played all the time on the radio, drove everyone nuts.

It's fun (and annoying for yr friends) to use part of it for your voicemail recording: "Hi! I'm not home right now.." etc.

It's one of the saddest songs I know.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

speaking of second hand fests i bought the first 5 ABBA records at a thrift shop yesterday.
Now I didnt listen to them all but can someone explain to me why this band is so fucking enormously HUGE!
Outside of the handful of hits I already knew I just dont get it. At all.
Looking forward to the Dennis Wilson Pacific Ocean Blue reissue coming this week.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

spzretent wrote:speaking of second hand fests i bought the first 5 ABBA records at a thrift shop yesterday.
Now I didnt listen to them all but can someone explain to me why this band is so fucking enormously HUGE!
Outside of the handful of hits I already knew I just dont get it. At all.
Looking forward to the Dennis Wilson Pacific Ocean Blue reissue coming this week.
Did your economic stimulus check arrive? :D

The ABBA phenomenon escapes me too. Europe has a love affair with them but anyone who has seen the Eurovision song contest can just about understand their popularity. But how did their brand of Euro pop/disco cross the pond? Also, Meryl Streep is about to star in the film version of Mamma Mia. So all things ABBA are about to become the buzz word (again)!
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

redcloud wrote:
Did your economic stimulus check arrive? :D
Obviously not. I'm shopping in Thrift Stores. :oops:
ebbsandflows
Known user

Post by ebbsandflows »

Yeah, i head about this you guys get money to try and make the economy good again? Amazing. How much? and can you spend it on Vinyl?
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

The weird thing is how so many people here think this is the answer to the problems we are having here. $600!
8 years of the worst President in history.
Home values plummeting.
All the food prices skyrocketing.
Economy in the crapper.
But what the hell , Dick Cheney got wealthier. Dickhead.
I'll spare you the complaint on gas prices because even after eclipsing $4 per gallon we still have it better than you Europeans.
nickh
Known user

Post by nickh »

1) Spectrum Meets Captain Memphis - Indian Giver. Bought this purely for Mary that Sonic opened their set with at the Roundhouse. Never really quite got Spectrum (sorry) but this is a great record. Jimmy Dickinson I remember from the Red Headed Woman track with the Cramps on some psychobilly/trash/garage comp I bought when I was about 16.

2) Sun Ra - Space is the Place. Bought this because I really dug John Coxon’s set at Koko and with the exception of Come Down Easy, this was the only song where I could actually figure out what it was that was playing (be very grateful if anyone knows anything else that he played). Loving this album too.

3) Slint - Spiderland. Bought this purely out of curiosity after reading an intriguing review of a gig at Koko a few months back on this message board. I remember the word introspective being used in that review and that is very accurate. Good Morning Captain is currently fourth most played song on my computer.

4) Spiritualized - Songs in A & E. I don’t really have anything to add to what has already been written on this website about this record but I do err towards the very positive reviews.

5) Cardiacs - A little Man and a House and the whole wide world window (or something) Bought in a moment of drunken nostalgia and severely regretted, thank god for e-bay.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

spzretent wrote:The weird thing is how so many people here think this is the answer to the problems we are having here. $600!
8 years of the worst President in history.
Home values plummeting.
All the food prices skyrocketing.
Economy in the crapper.
But what the hell , Dick Cheney got wealthier. Dickhead.
I'll spare you the complaint on gas prices because even after eclipsing $4 per gallon we still have it better than you Europeans.
Off topic but I had to comment.

Too right, spzretent. Strange that the Feds think dangling a carrot will save the economy. But then again, this is the same government who immediately after September 11th told the American people to go out and spend, spend, spend. Nobody I know has gone out and spent their stimulus check on needless goods. In fact, everybody I know has done the opposite by banking it and using it to pay for bills, gas and food. And before our friends in Europe start saying "why knock free money"...the point is we the people didn't ask for it. This government has been spending, spending, spending since day one of this administration and its excessive spending has led to much of our woes. Debt nation. What type of message are they sending? It is perverse.

These 8 years have pushed our country to the brink and hopefully we can pull ourselves out of it. Part of me though feels that the imbeciles who voted for these assholes deserve the consequence of their actions. Unfortunately we are in this together and we all suffer.

Michigan will be a focal point in November's election. Hopefully it will do the right thing and help get rid of the Republicans! Four years of McCain would be devastating.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Andrew Loog Oldham Orchestra plays The Rolling Stones
James Brown at the Apollo Vol 1
J J Cale - Okie
Santogold

A word on 'Abba' - the last album, 'The Visitors', is really good, especially the title track. Honest!
O P 8
ebbsandflows
Known user

Post by ebbsandflows »

Abba makes sense only when half a bottle of champaigne down at a family wedding when the bad wigs and old person dancing comes out. But then, and only then, it makes total and utter sense in the way that most bands can never dream of.

So, you've not even had the election yet? Please tell me there's to be no more caucusses or primarys? I just don't think i could take anymore - even all the way over here!

(If petrol here were $4 per gallon, people would leave their cars running overnight whilst bathing in the stuff. Some would probably pull into a petrol station to run a tank down the drain just for the sake of it)
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

ebbsandflows wrote:Abba makes sense only when half a bottle of champaigne down at a family wedding when the bad wigs and old person dancing comes out. But then, and only then, it makes total and utter sense in the way that most bands can never dream of.
Not quite true - 'Dancing Queen' is an amazing song and sounds great at almost any time. The rest of the material is good at drunken weddings though - too right.

I had the hots for the girls when I was about 10 and they'd just won the Eurovision Song Contest.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

[quote="ebbsandflows"]
So, you've not even had the election yet? Please tell me there's to be no more caucusses or primarys? I just don't think i could take anymore - even all the way over here!
quote]

No. First tuesday in November. All the primaries are over. And you can thank the Clintons for dragging it out an extra month or so. Hell, it's just money. Which they have plenty of.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

spzretent wrote: And you can thank the Clintons for dragging it out an extra month or so. Hell, it's just money. Which they have plenty of.
Yet, the Obama's just wrote them checks to help pay off their campaign debt.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

which is total bullshit. its their own fault but hey, its politics, you gotta pay to play and have the Clintons(whom I have lost any respect for) publicly in your corner.
ebbsandflows
Known user

Post by ebbsandflows »

Well . . . let us all know how it pans out eh

I finally got through the Leila ten inch (mettle) i ordered about 3 weeks ago. I hate Royal mail. I do Love Norman records though - proper vinyl stars! The tune is as big and wicked as i remember it to be. b sides are pretty cool also.

I also (again finally) got through my new mp3 player so can (finally) get round to listening to some of the comps from the music thread and the one electronicmusic (sorry can't find the actual capitals without losing the post) did for me ages ago. I'm back in the land of the walkman!!
Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

Genius/Gza - Liquid Swords...This is on repeat posse at the minute..blindin'

Wu-Tang - Greatest Hits...kinda didn't know where to start...thought it might provide insight into the lads

Battles - Mirrored...part of a 2 for a tenner with the Wu's...shouldn't have bothered my backside...anyone want this...pm me...it's not my cup of tea...postage will be about 90p i reckon.

Jackson Conti - Sunjinho...I may have the title and artist wrong...bought in a hurry as the local shop was kicking our for Shields and his lot last Tuesday...it's sweet though...Madlib reworking Azimuth (again this is from memory which is shagged) a Brazilian group...nice.

Can't remember the fifth one splurged on...it'l be rolling about under the drivers seat...yeah that's right...consume, consume, consume...ah...the x-files season 1 box set...any x-files headz in 'ere?

Remembered;

Booka Shade - Movements (tour edition with dvd)

and today

Anthony and the Johnsons - I am a Bird Now...lovely intimate search for identity, i think.

UNKLE - End Titles? Stories for a Film...a blessing...
Shoulders back, smash it
ebbsandflows
Known user

Post by ebbsandflows »

I am SO completely going to get that Leila album now - that trak on the comp is incredible! As is the flying lotus. Some other great sounds too. Thanks!
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Dennis Wilson- POB Deluxe. As another famous band once said "I'm Beginning To See The Light".
The Quarter After- S/T.
The Quarter After- Changer Near. Both excellent in that BJM posse type vein.
Blacksand- Barn. Nick Franglen one 1/2 of Lemon Jelly in a really nice, sparse acoustic ambience.
Black Keys- Attack & Release. Why the hype?
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

marvin gaye - here, my dear (reissue)
hank williams - settin' the woods on fire
steve earle - copperhead rd (reissue)
white denim - workout holiday
fleet foxes (god, these guys need some scorching guitar solo's to rock out a bit more)

i have actually been on a bit of a bender regards buying cd's the past few weeks. got some curtis remasters (superfly, curtis, roots), third & entire portishead backcatalogue, space ritual & the wild, innocent & e street shuffle in hmv two for £10, Indian Giver... uh, maybe something else. got a list. bad thing is a lot of that is just stuff i already had, but in crappy mp3. space ritual and springsteen are new for me though and roots and earle and white denim too so it's not too bad. and a good bit of the hank williams is new too and that's always super.
i'm like a pig in shit these days.
ahem. diggin' it all. and yea, that black keys album has about two good songs on it. oh, got the new beck too. it's short, i'll give it credit for that. and that split soundtrack j did for that picture recently. some nice stuff on there from him.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

ballboy - I worked on the ships
Sigur Ros - whatever the new one is called
Spectrum Meets Captain Memphis - Indian Giver
Sonic Youth - Goo
Rufus Wainwright - S/T
starsky
New user

Post by starsky »

David Bowie - Heroes
The national - Aligator
Some Blind Willie Johnson complilation
Elbow - seldom seen boy
A Stacey Pullen Mix from somewhere in Berlin

As this seems to the the most populus thread, would anyone know where i might pick up a
good print or poster of the Pure Phase cover art featurng jason in the Space suit with Kate?
Ive been trawling the internets for a while and amn't making much progess.
Cheers!
moop
Known user

Post by moop »

starsky wrote:As this seems to the the most populus thread, would anyone know where i might pick up a
good print or poster of the Pure Phase cover art featurng jason in the Space suit with Kate?
Cheers!
i've been after one of these for a while too. i remember watching nathan barley and being really jealous that they had one of the big pure phase posters in the background. arghh! let me know if you have any luck...
purespace
Known user

Post by purespace »

moop wrote:
starsky wrote:As this seems to the the most populus thread, would anyone know where i might pick up a
Cheers!
i've been after one of these for a while too. i remember watching nathan barley and being really jealous that they had one of the big pure phase posters in the background. arghh! let me know if you have any luck...
I've got 2 of them, both signed my Jason and Kate, and they are double sided with the color cover art on one side and J in spacesuit w/Kate walking arm in arm on the other. I've matted and framed both and hung 'em next to each other. Got them from someone here in Michigan a few years back who had a hand full of them at the time. I'll see if I can dig up his info.
I think I feel it coming on
ebbsandflows
Known user

Post by ebbsandflows »

What's the
starsky wrote:What's the

What's the new elbow album like? I must confess i've grow a touch weary of them of late. It's all starting to sound the same MoR type thing. But i DID used to well like them. "Switching off" is an incredible tune, as is "fallen angel" and a couple from their first. I do hope it's a return to form . . .
ebbsandflows
Known user

Post by ebbsandflows »

Heheh, first time using the "quote" thing . . didn't seem to work so well. :roll:
moop
Known user

Post by moop »

ebbsandflows wrote:elbow
i might well be wrong, but from memory there were only a few tunes on the latest. or at least, it definitely wasn't the return to form i was hoping for. such a waste cos they're clearly really talented, and that first album really is incredible. my advice to you is to seek out all their early b-sides and make a compilation of them. fantastic stuff, especially 'george lassoes the moon'. i remember when they played that at glastonbury in ..02?.. anyway, i think i was the only person in the audience who'd heard it before (at least that's how it felt). and it was a particularly heavy version of that track. totally made my weekend...with the help of the rev/spz back to back combo! :)
nickh
Known user

Post by nickh »

starsky wrote:David Bowie - Heroes
The national - Aligator
Some Blind Willie Johnson complilation
Elbow - seldom seen boy
A Stacey Pullen Mix from somewhere in Berlin

As this seems to the the most populus thread, would anyone know where i might pick up a
Cheers!

I chopped mine out of Select magazine around the time Pure Phase came out. It’s a bit of a long shot I know but people are often hawking old copies on e-bay and a kindly soul might have a quick look in the photo section and see if it is there. It’s only going to be A4 though.

I have had that photo framed and on my wall wherever I have lived over the last twelve or thirteen years or so. Such a cool picture, I tend to judge people a little bit by their reaction to it when they first see it.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Purple Outside- Mystery Lane (after its mention on a thread here picked it up for 2 quid or something- really enjoying it)
AR Kane- 'i' (not that impressed by this)
Flying Saucer Attack- Further (loving this, good for anyone like me who has a fetish for delay pedals)
Sennen- Widows (pants)
Maps- Start Something

yeah the new elbow album seems to be typically inconsistent- some truly gorgeous tunes (the last three songs and Tower Crane Driver?..) and then the rest rather boring.
Their albums all seem to be this way since the first one, which is still by far their most consistent i find (and even that had a couple of dull ones on..).

thanks for the b sides tip though moop, i've often seen that their singles seem well stacked with extra songs and wondered if they were any good.
ebbsandflows
Known user

Post by ebbsandflows »

Ahh, Flying saucer attack. Ace ace ace band - must dig out mirror again. Are they (he) still putting stuff out does anyone know?

Shame about elbow. Somewhere early on they got the wrong producer / record label with baaad ideas about where music should be. Probably the same person that destroyed snow patrol so convincingly.
Cheegles Ann Bultan
Known user

Post by Cheegles Ann Bultan »

Primal Scream - Beautiful Future
The Orphans - Muff
Spiritualized - Song in A & E
Iris Dement - My Life
Daniel Johnson - Rejected Unknown
Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

Burial - S/T
Burial - Untrue
Kode9 + The Spaceape - Memories of the Future
Pinch - Underwater Dancehall
2562 - Aerial
Wu-Tang Clan - Enter the Wu-Tang (36 Chambers)

Natty...you should've screamed LOUDER when you were speaking about dubstep/dubhall musiK last year...why oh why did i wait soooooooo long.

Best
Shoulders back, smash it
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Fleet Foxes ~ Self-Titled (vinyl comes with their Sun Giant EP, too)
Grails ~ Burning Off Impurities LP
Grails ~ Take Refuge In Clean Living LP
Vivian Girls ~ Wild Eyes 7"
Vivian Girls ~ Orphanage 7"

I love the Fleet Foxes album, despite their live show being a little boring (maybe just not right for a festival?). The Vivian Girls' stuff is sorta "meh," as far as I'm concerned. It's too low-fi for my taste and the songs aren't really that great. I'm not sure why they're so hyped. Grails are still blowing my mind.
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

The King Khan & BBQ Show - What's For Dinner?
Manic Street Preachers - The Holy Bible 10th anniversary 3-disc thingy
Neil Halstead - Oh! Mighty Engine (someone brought it into my record store, even though it comes out tomorrow).
David Cross - Shut Up, You Fucking Baby! ... hilarious
Black Lips - Good Bad Not Evil

I've never really listened to Manic Street Preachers aside from a song or two until yesterday. The Holy Bible is good, but I don't know if I'm really a fan yet. This King Khan and BBQ album is fantastic. I'm kicking my self because I was too lazy to walk over to the smaller stage to see King Khan last week at Pitchfork. :(
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

How is the Halstead album?

I saw the King Khan show, it was pretty awesome. My buddy just got the album, so I'll have to borrow it.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

ebbsandflows wrote:Ahh, Flying saucer attack. Ace ace ace band - must dig out mirror again. Are they (he) still putting stuff out does anyone know?

Shame about elbow. Somewhere early on they got the wrong producer / record label with baaad ideas about where music should be. Probably the same person that destroyed snow patrol so convincingly.
Yeah i'm really loving 'Further' like I said above, right up my street- massive surging waves of guitar you can lost in. Like The Cocteau Twins with balls. If I like the sound of this album would I be wise to seek out the rest?

don't think elbow have that excuse with the new one unfortunately- i think it was self produced if i remember correctly.
Fuzzhead
Known user

Post by Fuzzhead »

Billy Childish - Punk Rock At The British Legion Hall

Gram Parsons - GP/Grevious Angel

Gram Pasrons & The Fallen Angels - Live 1973

Primal Scream - Beautiful Future

Charlie Feathers - Tip Top Daddy

3 outta the above 5 albums I bought recently on my first trip to Mono in Glasgow. Wow, that place is divine.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

angelsighs wrote:
ebbsandflows wrote:Ahh, Flying saucer attack. Ace ace ace band - must dig out mirror again. Are they (he) still putting stuff out does anyone know?

Yeah i'm really loving 'Further' like I said above, right up my street- massive surging waves of guitar you can lost in. Like The Cocteau Twins with balls. If I like the sound of this album would I be wise to seek out the rest?
Absolutely! FSA never made a bad record their whole career. Never strayed to far from the formula either it has to be said. Have tried to find out what Dave Pearce is up to these days but to no avail.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

sunray wrote:
angelsighs wrote:
Absolutely! FSA never made a bad record their whole career. Never strayed to far from the formula either it has to be said. Have tried to find out what Dave Pearce is up to these days but to no avail.
I'd recommend the first self-titled album - the opening track 'My Dreaming Hill' is extraordinary and there's lots of other nice stuff on there. Also a compilation 'Distance' is fantastic.

The Bristol scene is quite focused in that most of those guitar/psych bands seem to know each other. It shouldn't be too hard to find out if Dave Pearce is still making music. I met him a couple of times at gigs in London - a very quietly spoken and friendly chap too. Bizarrely the longest chat I had with him was a few years ago and he was describing in detail the action from a Blackburn/Leeds game he'd just watched (score 4-3 to Leeds) and which I'd missed. He loves his football!
supershonn
Known user

Post by supershonn »

hey toomilk how is that neil halstead. i really liked "sleeping on roads". didn't know he had a new album out, makes sense though as he is playing at hte Casbah in September i believe.

thanks for any info

me.
purespace
Known user

Post by purespace »

FSAs New Lands is a favorite but if you're not prepared for the opening blast, you'll shite yourself. FSA on a summer night, sitting out in the back yard, sun going down across the fields, favorite indulgences at hand, FSA as the backdrop. Yep.
I think I feel it coming on
SpacemanRob
Known user

Post by SpacemanRob »

Always really enjoyed FSA. Really enjoyed them for years and some of their other albums are great including Tele:Funken(Distant Station) and Ray Montgomery. New Lands and Chorus as discussed in this thread are essential. There used to be somebody on this board that had great bootlegs as well. Always thought it would have been brilliant if Sonic had collaborated with them. Kinda Stylus but with guitars and attitude?

Enjoy!
Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

SpacemanRob wrote:and Ray Montgomery...
I believe I have this somewhere along with the S/T album??? I don't know exactly where the covers/jewel cases are but sure i'd lay my hands on them. I bought them off the back of the Tele:Funken release that Rob mentions above...as some of the Tele:Funken stuff appeals to me. If anyone wants the FSA stuff PM me as long as you can wait a while or constantly harass me until I send it.

Best,

Stuart
Shoulders back, smash it
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

excellent, thanks for all the FSA recommendations guys, looks like the bank balance is gonna take another hammering