Last five albums/lp's you bought?

For anything else...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, spzretent, MODLAB, NightWash

Mustard
Known user

Re: Last five albums/lp's you bought?

Post by Mustard »

Angelsighs - I'd have to say that I quite like it. I have only had it for about 2 weeks but I've played it a few times and still like it. When it came out I read the reviews which seemed to, on the whole, put it down and for this reason I put off buying it. I knew I'd probably get it in the end but I just thought that it was going to be a poor repeat of what had gone before. What I've found is that it is a bit more 'up' and that is welcome. The only thing is that when my Kids (aged 3) saw the cover they've latched onto what is now known as the 'bot-bot DVD' and I'm now expecting to get pulled into the playgroup for a talk about how Dad got a 'bot-bot DVD' for his birthday. Might take some explaining.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

haha yes the 'bot bot DVD' might be a difficult one to explain!

I might have to give it another try mustard- to me it sounded like the poorer bits of Takk taken and a whole album made of it.. you are right it is quite 'up' and happy-clappy in places and while i respect them moving forward n that, it didn't grab me and i gave it a fair few listens. the production is much better than Takk though, i'll give it that. I must admit I prefer the darker and more moody side of Sigur Ros- () is my fave.

Elektronik, Asleep in the back is indeed lovely and still their best i think. Cast of Thousands has the best production and some excellent bursts of noise (Snooks, I've got your number) that they don't do anymore, but the weakest/scrappiest lyrics. Leaders of the free world is not very good in my opinion. I love parts of the new one but it also has some weaker moments. It's weird with elbow, they are obviously very talented musicians n that, with great taste, but a lot of the time they come up with stuff that isnt more that the sum of their parts, and can be quite dull. But their best moments- Scattered Black n Whites, Switching off, Newborn- are just plain sublime.

Speck Mountain sounds pretty interesting.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

angelsighs wrote: Speck Mountain sounds pretty interesting.
check their myspace page. particularly I Feel Eternal & Backsliding.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
onechord
Known user

Post by onechord »

The Go

yeah the go are pretty great. their version of kim fowley's bubblegum (when jack white was still in the band) is pretty heavy.

this video of theirs is pretty nifty...kinda kinky. (full screen gets you full effect)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mry6PmJ- ... re=related
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

spzretent wrote:
angelsighs wrote: Speck Mountain sounds pretty interesting.
check their myspace page. particularly I Feel Eternal & Backsliding.
i like what i hear!
theres also a couple of excellent free tracks here

http://stereogum.com/archives/band-to-w ... 05970.html
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

the records, albeit on the short side are excellent. Piccadilly in Manchester freakin' love them. thats how i found out about them. turns out Karl is from here and used to shop in record shop. I took the long way around finding out about them. about 4000 miles the long way.
Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

Post by Stuart X.Hunter »

angelsighs wrote:
Elektronik, Asleep in the back is indeed lovely and still their best i think. Cast of Thousands has the best production and some excellent bursts of noise (Snooks, I've got your number) that they don't do anymore, but the weakest/scrappiest lyrics. Leaders of the free world is not very good in my opinion. I love parts of the new one but it also has some weaker moments. It's weird with elbow, they are obviously very talented musicians n that, with great taste, but a lot of the time they come up with stuff that isnt more that the sum of their parts, and can be quite dull. But their best moments- Scattered Black n Whites, Switching off, Newborn- are just plain sublime.
I have to admit I've grown very fond of the Seldom Seen Kid and think it merited an award and a wee live start/finish run through live...have a soft spot for tower crane driver...very moving...for some reason...yes indeed they can be lyrically strong and musically adept and I hi-5 you on the newborn shout...furthermore i thought that song was only 3mins long until a couple of weeks ago when revisiting the debut...nice little spiz-esque scales and chanting at the end.

Buff,

Stuart
Shoulders back, smash it
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

eleKtroniK:musiK wrote: I have to admit I've grown very fond of the Seldom Seen Kid and think it merited an award and a wee live start/finish run through live...have a soft spot for tower crane driver...very moving...for some reason...yes indeed they can be lyrically strong and musically adept and I hi-5 you on the newborn shout...furthermore i thought that song was only 3mins long until a couple of weeks ago when revisiting the debut...nice little spiz-esque scales and chanting at the end.

Buff,
Stuart
it must have been a nice suprise when newborn erupted into that nice crescendo at the end!
For me Scattered Black & Whites is probably their best- i like the skippy drums (again something they don't do much anymore), the rippling piano and the vocal seems to sooth and trigger memories in me (which is what i think the songs about isnt it?- taking refuge in our memories, the 'scattered black n whites'? unless ive misunderstood)
cantona
Known user

Post by cantona »

Marissa Nadler - Little Hells
Bonnie 'Prince' Billy - Beware
R.E.M. - Murmur deluxe edition
George Harrison - All things must pass
Fred Neil - Fred Neil
Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

Slurgeing like a fcuker on discs at the minute, considering calling it a hobby...
A Sunday afternoon of parks/sweeties/football with the kids led to a pit stop in Mono and the following;

Sleepwalk - A Selection by Optimo(Espacio) - Domino Records...lovely sleepgaze...
The Last Great Wilderness - The Pastels - Geographic...can't fault 'em
OST Mr Lonely - Jason and the girls - Drag City...interesting!!!

Best,

Stuart
Shoulders back, smash it
Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

Walkabout - Optimo - Mule Musiq 2006
Symptoms - AGF/Delay - BPitch 2008
Love is Overtaking Me - Arthur Russell - Audika/Rough Trade 2008
Shoulders back, smash it
mkb
Known user

Post by mkb »

Those two Optimo compilations in your last couple of posts eleKtroniK:musiK are great aren't they?

Especially Sleepwalk, I absolutely love some of those songs - Karen Dalton's 'Something On Your Mind' is a particular favourite.
ORBITAL
Known user
Location: Drinking Breaker at night, in the cold duchess light.

Post by ORBITAL »

Im loving the new SFA album. Anyone else?

Asteroid #4 'these flowers of ours' has to be my favourite thing ive heard in the last wee while.
Work is the scourge of the drinking classes
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

ORBITAL wrote:Im loving the new SFA album. Anyone else?

Asteroid #4 'these flowers of ours' has to be my favourite thing ive heard in the last wee while.

The A4 album is fantastic and I agree! I think many of us do. Would love to see them in concert
hope the hop over here.

M
Design.
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

ORBITAL wrote:Asteroid #4 'these flowers of ours' has to be my favourite thing ive heard in the last wee while.

Buy everything they've done. Their almost constant change of sound/direction between albums is bold, yet each album is fantastic. Their latest does hark back to their sublime debut "Introducing..." which i think i would probably have on my Desert Island discs selection!
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

I bought the one with the blue sleeve - An Amazing Dream - which I found decidedly patchy. It was worth buying for 'Into The Meadow' which is a glorious song and one of the band's finest but I was disappointed in a lot of the rest of it. You're right about 'Introducing' which is an outstanding album, and I rate 'These Flowers Of Ours' almost as highly. If you like this stuff you may well enjoy The Stevenson Ranch Davidians 'Psalms, Hymns and Spiritual Songs' which is pretty good too.

I saw about 15 minutes of The Asteroid No. 4's set in Sheffield when they toured with The Quarter After last year and they were great. There seemed to be masses of musicians on the stage. The problem was I was an hour from home, it was almost midnight and I had to get up at 6 the next morning. The gig was miles behind schedule and I had to split which was very upsetting.
Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

mkb wrote:Those two Optimo compilations in your last couple of posts eleKtroniK:musiK are great aren't they?

Especially Sleepwalk, I absolutely love some of those songs - Karen Dalton's 'Something On Your Mind' is a particular favourite.
They are gems aint they; i'm favouring walkabout slightly at present;

boris into godski into suicide and then that mad crazy brinkman "cico""mex""cico""mex"....also houle into herbert at the end!
sleepwalk oozes also Coil and Arthur Russell tracks being a stand out pour moi...there's a lotta love gone into these two albums and the sound...the sound is crystal.

SAWII - Aphex Twin - Warp
Chiaroscuro - Arve Henriksen - Rune Grammofon
Blank Fade - Gaiser - M_nus
So This is Goodbye (Spec. Edt.) - Junior Boys - Domino
Shoulders back, smash it
ORBITAL
Known user
Location: Drinking Breaker at night, in the cold duchess light.

Post by ORBITAL »

Laz69 wrote:
ORBITAL wrote:Asteroid #4 'these flowers of ours' has to be my favourite thing ive heard in the last wee while.

Buy everything they've done. Their almost constant change of sound/direction between albums is bold, yet each album is fantastic. Their latest does hark back to their sublime debut "Introducing..." which i think i would probably have on my Desert Island discs selection!

Im all over it, Laz.
Work is the scourge of the drinking classes
Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

Phillip Glass - Violin Concerto (incl. Company (for strings) and Prelude and Dance from Akhnaten)
Amorphous Androgynous - A Monstrous Psychedlic Bubble Exploding In Your Mind Volume 1 - Cosmic Space Music

Just trying to expand the horizons...

Best,

Stuart
Shoulders back, smash it
Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

mkb wrote:Those two Optimo compilations in your last couple of posts eleKtroniK:musiK are great aren't they?
I saw that Henrik Schwarz has brought out his own "ode to minimalism" kinda in the same vein as "Walkabout"
Track listing here http://www.residentadvisor.net/review-view.aspx?id=5946
Read a bit if a gashy review about it...maybe wait til end of the month to splurge...

Best,

Stuart
Shoulders back, smash it
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

lastest batch

Elliot Smith- either/or
doves- Kingdom Of Rust
Califone- Quicksand/Cradlesnakes
Velvet Underground- Loaded (Fully Loaded edition)
Kyuss- Welcome To Sky Valley
The Mars Volta- Bedlam In Goliath
Shaun
Known user

Post by Shaun »

eleKtroniK:musiK wrote:Amorphous Androgynous - A Monstrous Psychedlic Bubble Exploding In Your Mind Volume 1 - Cosmic Space Music.
Just looked at that one on Amazon, some good reviews. I have lost Alice In Ultraland, probably borrowed it out and can't remember who to.

Have only bought one 3xcd set this year and that was Jefferson Airplane ~ Flight Box.

And Bza gave me a copy of Andrew Weatherall ~ Watch The Ride.

Can't even name five new albums bought this year.
What more can the heart of a man desire?
Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

angelsighs wrote: doves- Kingdom Of Rust
how's this going down...thumbed it a few times over the weekend and will be purchased soon but whats the early feel?

best,

Stuart
Shoulders back, smash it
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

eleKtroniK:musiK wrote:
angelsighs wrote: doves- Kingdom Of Rust
how's this going down...thumbed it a few times over the weekend and will be purchased soon but whats the early feel?

best,

Stuart
I'm loving it mate.. can't stop playing it. Best one since Lost Souls I reckon. Some classic 'doves-esque' moments as well as some excellent dirty rock and a surprisingly excellent stab at electro-funk.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

angelsighs wrote:lastest batch

Nice. Califone- all of their releases are pretty consistent. They just reissued Red Red Meat's Bunny Gets Paid as one of those expanded double cds.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

spzretent wrote:
angelsighs wrote:lastest batch

Nice. Califone- all of their releases are pretty consistent. They just reissued Red Red Meat's Bunny Gets Paid as one of those expanded double cds.
I decided to investigate these guys after hearing comparisons to Wilcos YHF phase- ie folk songs mixed with static/loops and so on. Only played it once so far but enjoyed it- although it was much more acoustic/bluesy based than i imagined.
cantona
Known user

Post by cantona »

My old fave group:

Siouxsie And The Banshees - At The BBC - ordered
Siouxsie And The Banshees - A Kiss In The Dreamhouse - remastered
Siouxsie And The Banshees - Hyaena - remastered
Siouxsie And The Banshees - Tinderbox - remastered
Siouxsie And The Banshees - Nocturne - remastered
Fuzzhead
Known user

Post by Fuzzhead »

Higamos Hogamos - Higamos Hogamos
Kid Congo Powers - Dracula Boots
Twelve - 03
The Chatham Singers - Juju Claudius

Erm, can't think of a 5th I've bought recently. I bought my girl The Best of Annie Lennox a couple of weeks ago if that counts? :?
Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

Fuzzhead wrote:I bought my girl The Best of Annie Lennox a couple of weeks ago if that counts? :?
Absolutely
Shoulders back, smash it
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

Bill Callahan - Sometimes I Wish We Were An Eagle
Cher - 3614 Jackson Highway
Giacinto Scelsi - The Orchestral Works 2
Ernie K-Doe - Here Come The Girls
Messiaen - L'aAsension/Les Corps Glorieux
helm
Known user

Post by helm »

Just picked up the super furries album yesterday, so only the one play so far but I reckon it's better than the last two albums

My other four most recent purchases have been...

Michael Nesmith & The First national Band- Magnetic South (charity shop, well worth the £4 I spent)
Fever Ray- Fever Ray
Phantom Band- Checkmate Savage
Misty's Big Adventure- Funny Times (for my wife, but I really like it too)

And they're all good too! Tempted to get the doves record, but there have been a few things in the way, unfortunately.
Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

Phillip Glass - Heroes Symphony...not that great, really!
Telepathe - Dance Mother...like this; kinda SVIIB meets the Ting-Tings/YYY's, sorta

A dodgy gospel cd, a blues comp and a bob marley best of make up the five.
Shoulders back, smash it
robotoilet
Known user

Post by robotoilet »

Obits-I Blame You
Akron/Family-Set 'Em Wild, Set 'Em Free
and remastered things of Dusty Springfield, George Harrison and Loop

i quite enjoy Akron/Family's folky-jazzy-heavy-with-a-hint-of-"iron man" album.

has anyone listened to White/Light's "Black Acts"? i've listened only their free download tracks and wonder how their full album is.
Last edited by robotoilet on Tue May 05, 2009 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Cheval Sombre S/T
Thunderbolt Pagoda S/T
Eddie and the Hot Rods - Life on the Line
The Monks - Black Monk Time
The Heads/White Hills split 12"/LP
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Rolling Stones- Sticky Fingers remaster
Rolling Stones- Goats Head Soup remaster
Rolling Stones- Black & Blue remaster
Such a sucker. No idea how many times I have bought these. But Sticky Fingers sounds really good so far.
The packaging really sucks but the cds do sound way better.
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

Cheval Sombre
The Doves- Kingdom of Rust
Blind Mr. Jones- Over My Head ( Complete Recordings)
Larry Levan- Live @ The Paradise Garage

M
Design.
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

Such a sucker. No idea how many times I have bought these. But Sticky Fingers sounds really good so far.
Saw them today. I was debating whether to buy them. Is it really noticably different? I just got a bit annoyed by having to shell out again on exactly the same album with no extra tracks and the fact that when I listen to it on my Ipod will it actually sound any different?
scratch
Known user

Post by scratch »

eleKtroniK:musiK wrote:Phillip Glass - Heroes Symphony...not that great, really!
I also found it a bit disappointing.. Low symphony is better.
"the greatest example of self-violation in the history of art"
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

simonkeeping wrote:
Saw them today. I was debating whether to buy them. Is it really noticably different? I just got a bit annoyed by having to shell out again on exactly the same album with no extra tracks and the fact that when I listen to it on my Ipod will it actually sound any different?
Sticky Fingers is much clearer.
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

spzretent wrote:
simonkeeping wrote:
Sticky Fingers is much clearer.
Is that a good thing though? I was pondering getting this one as well as it's my fav Stones album, love it. Much of it's charm is the sleazy and loose sound of it all. If it's now much clearer has it therefore lost some it's scuzz? If you see what I mean?

I only ask as I bought the remaster of Happy Mondays Bummed sometime ago and that was a lot clearer sounding than the original but in making it clearer it had lost part of it's dense swirling druggy charm. Or maybe I was so used to the original I couldn't get used to hearing it all sparkly clear. Hmmmm.
runcible
Site Admin

Remastered CD

Post by runcible »

This is a debate and a half.

I'm all for making stuff sound clearer. My original CD of Sticky Fingers had crackles of distortion on it yet the remaster has that cleaned up and sounds nice. The first issues of many albums on CD suffered from this problem - Bowie disowned the first CD issues of his stuff. When I bought Skip Spence's 'Oar' on CD I was shocked to find that the glorious bleeding guitar distortion on 'War In Peace' had gone as it had been cleaned up, but my Edsel vinyl issue has this magical sound so that's what I play and the CD stays on the shelf.

There's obviously a right way and a wrong way to remaster.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

I guess thats why they remaster 2 or 3 times.
Personally, I like the new remaster of SF. The other two I think are a waste, Goats Head Soup and Black & Blue. If you have the earlier remasters from Virgin.

Ok, I am listening to SF pretty loud right now and am pleasantly stunned at the difference in the new remaster.
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

Both good points. S'pose it all depends on how you first heard the album before coming to a remaster. I've got Oar on cd and love it but then I've never heard the vinyl so can't compare. I always like to buy a remaster as I think they must've made it sound better, usually get good sleeve notes and what not but sometimes they do mess up and destroy the reason you loved it in the first place (hello Bummed - but to be fair I haven't played that much since re-buying it).

I wish I was listening to Sticky Fingers at full volume now. I could do it on my headphones at my work desk but what happens when I start 'going all Keef' during Sway? I'll save it for later.....it's a Friday night on the horizon afterall.
Dreamweapon
Known user

Post by Dreamweapon »

Fleet Foxes - Fleet Foxes (dbl CD)
Glen Campbell - Meet Glen Campbell
Yeah Yeah Yeahs - It's Blitz!
Bon Iver - For Emma, Forever Ago
Marvin Gaye - What's Going On

used up the last of some vouchers I'd be given so also bought Peter Gabriel - 1 and a few discounted books at the same time.
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

Big Brother & The Holding Company - Big Brother & The Holding Company
Janis Joplin - Pearl
Rainbow - Rising
Rainbow - Long Live Rock n' Roll
Black Sabbath - Heaven & Hell
Black Sabbath - Mobs Rules
Grand Funk - Live Album

picked up Grand Funk due to Julian Cope/Doggen. it certainly explains a lot about Doggen and his contribution to Spz. it's a terrific beast of an album.
Last edited by jack white on Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

Sunn O))) - Monoliths & Dimensions
New Order - Substance
Bob Dylan - Together Through Life
Earth - Phase 3: Thrones and Dominions
Boris - Absolutego
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Dead Meadow- Shivering King and Others
The Horrors- Primary Colours
Mono- Gone (EPs 2000-2008)
Flying Saucer Attack- Flying Saucer Attack
Grizzly Bear- Veckatimest
cantona
Known user

Post by cantona »

Siouxsie And The Banshees - At The Bbc cd/dvd
Sonic Youth - The Eternal
Spectrum - War Sucks
Wooden Shjips - Dos
The 13th Floor Elevators - Sign of the 3 Eyed Men (10 cd´s)
Fuzzhead
Known user

Post by Fuzzhead »

Caesar's Pleasure - Thee Mighty Caesars
Damned Damned Damned - The Damned
Script of The Bridge - The Chameleons
From The Temple Vaults - The Masonics
A Geno Washington Best Of
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

I recently purchased The Fall's Cerebral Caustic album. There is so much written about that album being their worst and it not fitting into the group's repertoire, but I don't see what the fuss is about. I've listened to it twice now and it might be my favorite Fall album from the 90s...
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

jack white wrote: picked up Grateful Dead due to Julian Cope/Doggen. it certainly explains a lot about Doggen and his contribution to Spz. it's a terrific beast of an album.
really? how so? been meaning to get that one for a while myself, don't know whether to get Live Dead or Live at Fillmore which is an expanded version taken from the same shows apparantly.
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

why did i say grateful dead? i meant grand funk! sorry!
dunno about grateful dead live albums, except for dylan n the dead and it's bad stuff!
gonna burn brightly
for a while
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

ah that makes more sense! was trying hard to see the conenction...
still any advice from others regarding GD live would be appreciated..
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

angelsighs wrote:any advice from others regarding GD live would be appreciated..
I'm enjoying a heavy rotation of 'Europe '72' at the moment which I heartily recommend, as do most Deadheads. They do wig out slightly unnecessarily on occasion (such as on the 20+ minute version of Truckin') but it's got loads of great stuff and if you are a fan there's no way you won't enjoy it. The version of China Cat Sunflower is sublime here but it's got lots of other excellent stuff on it. It was a triple album in the first place so this double CD (with bonus material) is pretty extensive. At least one of my brothers was at the Lyceum gig that makes up part of this the lucky bastard. He can even remember it too.

I've been a real hippy binge recently and the Dead have featured enormously alongside Crosby, Stills and Nash, Jefferson Airplane, Little Feat etc.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

runcible wrote: I'm enjoying a heavy rotation of 'Europe '72' at the moment which I heartily recommend, as do most Deadheads. They do wig out slightly unnecessarily on occasion (such as on the 20+ minute version of Truckin')
thanks for the recommendation- The Dead must be one of the bands with the most live albums ever, it feels like a bit of a minefield as many of them look like quasi-bootlegs too.

don't worry I have a high tolerance level for extended wig outs! :)
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

I've been on a serious CD buying binge recently. In the last fortnight I've purchased:

Eels - Hombre Lobo: 12 Songs of Desire
Broken Records: Until the Earth Begins to Part
Manic Street Preachers - Journal for Plague Lovers
Patrick Wolf - The Bachelor
Julian Cope - Jehovahkill
Julian Cope - Peggy Suicide
Earth - Extra-Capsular Extraction
Melvins - Stoner Witch
Kyuss - Blues for the Red Sun
Leonard Cohen - Live in London
Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

Yabby You & Michael Prophet - Prophecy
Heart Of The Congos - Congos

both from previous Dub/Sunshine threads and "hat-tipping" by Runcible

20 Jazz Funk Greats - Throbbing Gristle

after hearing Walkabout on the Optimo album of the same name

Soundtracks For The Blind - Swans

after some research...

and

Stage - David Bowie (live) (2005 Remastered version)

didn't know there was a live album covering Bowie from that period until Saturday
Shoulders back, smash it
Sim
Known user

Post by Sim »

mc wrote: Julian Cope - Jehovahkill
Julian Cope - Peggy Suicide
Been talked about for some time but looks like the Peggy Suicide expanded/deluxe edition may finally be seeing the light of day:
http://www.townsend-records.co.uk/produ ... Id=6747381

Nothing earth shattering amongst the extras tho

Post by runcible »

eleKtroniK:musiK wrote: Heart Of The Congos - Congos
Best reggae album ever made. I hope you got the expanded Blood and Fire set with long versions and bonus tracks. It's glorious.
Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

runcible wrote:
eleKtroniK:musiK wrote: Heart Of The Congos - Congos
Best reggae album ever made. I hope you got the expanded Blood and Fire set with long versions and bonus tracks. It's glorious.
I did and whilst the falsetto (or high!) vox took a wee bit of getting used too it's very nice indeed.

I've also managed to get a hold of (ahem!) Kraftwerk 1 & 2 recently which have been taking up plenty of my time along with Swans.
Shoulders back, smash it
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

The Congos vocals are unusual for sure but they work brilliantly. I'll throw Junior Murvin into the mix here - he also has a very high falsetto voice yet remains a candidate for the finest reggae vocalist I have ever heard. His delivery on Roots Train No. 1, Police and Thieves and Tedious are absolutely sensational. So good in fact that I named a cat after him.

Although Heart of the Congos isn't a dub album it's so immersed in a spaced-out vibe the whole feel is very trippy and psychedelic. It's also the ultimate demonstration of Lee Perry's power in the studio as he rubber stamps his trademark Black Ark sound all over the album.
Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

I seem to get tones of Smokey Robinson coming through in places.
I have no knowledge whatsoever of reggae music (roots, ska(nk), dub) but it does have a very soulful slant; loving "Ark of the Covenant" and the extended "Congoman".
Enjoying the Perry production as it's understated compared to the other stuff i've heard. It's minimal but with maximum impact.
Shoulders back, smash it
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

eleKtroniK:musiK wrote: Enjoying the Perry production as it's understated compared to the other stuff i've heard. It's minimal but with maximum impact.
The whole things sounds like it was recorded underwater. That phasing sound he gets all over everything is remarkable. Amazingly a lot of his greatest music was made using just a 2-track tape recorder. He'd reuse the tapes so often the sound would start to disintegrate and fall apart & would form new noises etc. which is how his sound developed. To me it's as unmistakeable a trademark as any great producer.

Personal favourite is 'Solid Foundation' and it's glorious extended section at the end which is so sweet and charming it never fails to move me.
Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

Cluster - '71 & II
Harmonia - Musik Von Harmonia & Deluxe
La Dusseldorf - La Dusseldorf & Viva
Kraftwerk - Autobahn
Basic Channel - BCD & BCD 2
Brian Eno - Ambient 1 : Music For Airports

Harmonia are "singing" to me big time!
BCD i'm enjoying - BCD 2 starts slightly harder.
La Dusseldorf is just for fun.
Preferring Kraftwerk & Kraftwerk 2 to Autobahn.
Cluster soothes my mind and quietens the "mad ravers" in the flat below, before I go to bed at night.
Eno is back to my days of staring admirably at the terrain cover art in the local library and...wondering.

Best,

Stuart
Shoulders back, smash it
SpacemanRob
Known user

Post by SpacemanRob »

1) The Warlocks - The Mirror Explodes - treated myself to the vinyl copy of this and well worth it. Their best album since Phoenix. Nice slow, drone(y), pyschedelic guitars. and an album that demands volume.
2) Julian Cope - The Unruly Imagination - not seen this mentioned on here. In part acoustic protest songs but with JC humour/wit under-pining the whole album. With the world as it is, it needs this album right now. Scary but funny at the same-time.
3) SP3 - DJ Tones - Vinyl arrived and can't live without this at the moment.
4) Spectrum - War Sucks - As above but waiting for the vinyl to arrive!!!!
5) Chapterhouse - The Whirlpool Recordings - As mentioned many times only saw SP3 once, at the Notre Dame Hall and Chapterhouse supported. Might be the feelings of the dreaded nostalgia but enjoying this a lot at the moment.

Cheers

Rob
natty
Known user

Post by natty »

Ulver - Kveldssanger
Ulver - Shadows of the Sun
King Jammy's - Selector's Choice Volume 1
The Congos - Heart of the Congos
Acid King - III