BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Re: Last five albums/lp's you bought?

Post by BzaInSpace »

As well as the Radiohead -
Royal Trux - Twin Infinitives
Joey Caligula - The Fire (12")
Motörhead - The World Is Yours
(a birthday gift - awesome vinyl edition - amazing sleeve!)
The Stooges - You Don't Want My Name, You Want My Action - Live 1971

plus a stack of classic psyche reissues from the 13th Floor Elevators, The Seeds, The Knickerbockers...

And something I've been trying to get a copy of for ages...

Brain Donor - Love, Peace & Fuck!!!

IN short - good haul!
O P 8
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

BzaInSpace wrote:
Brain Donor - Love, Peace & Fuck!!!
Fantastic album! Doggen is a rampaging guitar beast on this. Enjoy the experience :D
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

jadams501 wrote:
niamhm wrote:Spacemen 3-Threebie ,got Threebie as a freebie back in the day ,but no turntable and a very reasonable price means it purchased on cd.
Is Threebie the bonus tracks on the Taang reissue of Performance?
as far as I can tell yes ,strangely gives a credit to Clint Boon for pic.s on Performance .
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

niamhm wrote:
jadams501 wrote:
niamhm wrote:Spacemen 3-Threebie ,got Threebie as a freebie back in the day ,but no turntable and a very reasonable price means it purchased on cd.
Is Threebie the bonus tracks on the Taang reissue of Performance?
as far as I can tell yes ,strangely gives a credit to Clint Boon for pic.s on Performance .
Seemingly The Inspirals were big Spacemen fans.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

sunray wrote:Seemingly The Inspirals were big Spacemen fans.
They played together more than once of course.
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

Beatles "MONO Box" Japanese Apple CD release; FANTASTIC SOUND (even for CD's :D )
Pure Phase (Japanese CD release); an addition for the library.
The Human Beinz "It's Nice to be Clean" 7" Test Pressing/ single sided c. 1968
This little single is pressed on "mud-colored" vinyl; After 30+ years, I finally found a pristine example of this rather scarce and short-lived blip on the musical history timeline.
Rolling Stones (first album) UK MONO LP; original release; STILL SEALED - (has a 50% off price sticker from 1970!)
The Brain Donors "Who will entertain my moron"; UK CD & 7" vinyl; Nice - I really enjoyed this; the music, the humor and the packaging.
Bowie "Killer Star" (sealed Austrian single); Just another addition for the library.
22-20's CD + Video disc (UK); very nice, but I have not yet viewed the Video(s).
The Who "My Generation" Brunswick Label, UK; original release; For my birthday; it was a bit extravagent, but........
"Mister Lonely" soundtrack; Vinyl LP; yet another addition to the library which I have not yet had the time to listen to.
The B-52's "Rock Lobster/ 52 Girls" on the Boofant label, w/ wraparound PS.
Last edited by semisynthetic on Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Everything is a Poison; it is the amount or degree that separates one Poison from another"
Paracelsus
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

got 5 albums for under $5 yesterday

David Johansen - Live It Up
Greatest Hits of the National Lampoon
National Lampoon - "That's Not Funny, That's Sick!" SEALED
George Carlin - take offs & put ons
Richard Pryor - ... is it something i said?
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

PJ Harvey - Let England Shake
Derrick Carter - Fabric 56
The Joy Formidable - The Big Roar
Betty Davis - They Say I'm Different

and...

The Stooges - Fun House (double vinyl with extras) 8)

Hope it sounds as good as it looks...
O P 8
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

George Jones - I Am What I Am
Ray Price - The Essential Ray Price
Beady Eye
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

New Vinyl Day!

PJ Harvey - Let England Shake
Kurt Vile - Smoke Ring For My Halo
Dungen - Third Man Record 7"
Last edited by TheWarmth on Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

Brian Eno "Small Craft on a Milk Sea" Box Set 2LP + 2CD Release - Beautiful, both sonically and visually.

Randy Kalifornia (Spirit) "Farther Along" US orig. LP set. [A "NOS" spare-I've always liked Spirit et al].

Spiritualized "Live at the Albert Hall, 1997" UK Promo combo; sealed 2LP set + promo 2CD set + 4 song EP Very Nice

Spiritualized "Tour 1993" (a little white banded "1993 Tour Promo Only" 3CD Box w/ LGM/Feel so Sad/Medication EP) + Photo. Nice.

David Bowie "Helden" German release of the "Heroes" LP, orig release w/ info sheet insert (in German).

Jason Pierce "Guitar Loops" UK CD.......yeah I'm a little slow at obtaining certain releases. "You Can't Have Them All"
Last edited by semisynthetic on Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Everything is a Poison; it is the amount or degree that separates one Poison from another"
Paracelsus
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

semisynthetic wrote:
Spiritualized "Live at the Albert Hall, 1998" UK Promo combo; sealed 2LP set + promo 2CD set + 4 song EP Very Nice

Wait, whaaat?

Pictures?
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

FOR TOOMILK:

The UK LP set (LATRAH1997) is not marked or stickered in any way as "promo" (but it is still sealed, so I don't know if

it has promo or white labels; the CD set is so marked, as is the UK CD EP. These items, along w/ a data sheet were

boxed together in a HEAVY foam-lined box w/ foam sheets between them. The box was for mailing only, no artwork,
(but I do like the Royal Mail Stamp). I obtained this set from a radio station owner in the USA.

I am sorry that I do not have photos. I was very happy to obtain a "spare set" of these recordings neatly boxed & presented w/ the data sheet. (I have the CD EP in a little promo "Boxed" set all by itself). [And a play copy]. I also obtained 2 "Martha and the Muffins" LP's, Dansepark and TRANCE and DANCE on promo white labels. I really like these Martha and the Muffins LP's, (more spare copies) and I like promotional releases. I suppose I should buy a digital camera.
It can be very helpful to have a visual image when hunting, and there are so many items that are FANTASTIC, but forgotten.
"Miss Butters", an RCA release from 1965 comes to mind; it's the sort of thing I'd recommend, it would be nice to show the LP jacket. Have you seen the Original Jacket (NOT a bootleg) for "What a Shame Mary Jane had a Pain at the Party"? A Parlophone release, on the Parlophone Label but they don't admit it on the jacket [R8028].
Maybe it is more well known than I realized; (The Beatles "The Roaches"). Actually Lennon and Ono. If I get a camera I'll post photos of some really special discs. I just obtained a 1906 Enrico Caruso 78 rpm disc with an angel drawing the grooves on the (flip) side of this single sided disc. Look at an "Angel" marked LP or CD the next time you are in the Classical section. It is that image, but pressed into the 12" (flip) side. .
Paracelsus
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

I've snagged nothing so nice recently as the RAH promo semisynthetic bought, but FWIW this is the recent buying (nearly all off ebay, and all bar one on vinyl).

Brain Donor: Love, Peace and Fuck (2x Shrek Snot Green LPs) - nice!
Durutti Column: Live at the Venue (LP 15 Swiss Francs, plus 10 SF postage ) Minty mint, unlike my own copy :)
Perplexa: Gone beyond (Gets better with ever listen)
Heads: Relaxing With Rehersal Tapes (Still hasn't got here - paid for it yonks ago - Grrr)
Portishead: Third (2x45 vinyl) - Finally!
White Noise Sound: Purple vinyl album

Also bought a couple of record collections off eBay for not much $$. One is a Jazz collection (50 odd LPs), the other is classical (over 200 LPs). I'm trying to broaden my horizons. Both times I noticed the auction just before it finished. Really looking forward to the change of scenery.....
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

Julian Cope - The Jehovahcoat Demos
Julian Cope - Rite Now
Earth - Angels of Darkness, Demons of Light Volume 1
The Twilight Sad - Here, it Never Snowed. After It Did
The Twilight Sad - Forget the Night Ahead
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

mc wrote:The Twilight Sad - Here, it Never Snowed. After It Did
The Twilight Sad - Forget the Night Ahead
big Twilight Sad fan here. Here It Never Snowed.. is superb, drone-folk reimaginings of their songs
have to say though found Forget The Night Ahead faintly disappointing apart from a few key songs. its a bit more trad rock.

got this lot over the last few weeks:

Dungen- 4
The Replacements- Sorry Ma..
Soft Machine- Vol 2
Quicksilver Messenger Service- Happy Trails
Mogwai- Young Team reissue (remastering is amazing, it sounds like a new album!!)
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

angelsighs wrote:
big Twilight Sad fan here. Here It Never Snowed.. is superb, drone-folk reimaginings of their songs
have to say though found Forget The Night Ahead faintly disappointing apart from a few key songs. its a bit more trad rock.
I'm loving both albums, but I'm getting more from the former at present. "Cold Days From the Birdhouse" sends shivers up my spine every time I hear it. That accent, that building wall of guitar... :shock:
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

mc wrote: I'm loving both albums, but I'm getting more from the former at present. "Cold Days From the Birdhouse" sends shivers up my spine every time I hear it. That accent, that building wall of guitar... :shock:
yes that's an amazing song! when the guitars kick in it gets me everytime.
Forget The Night Ahead certainly has its moments (first two songs are brilliant and That Birthday Present is awesome, the fastest thing they've done) but its just not as good as the earlier stuff, and like I say it's a bit more traditional and without the wonderful layers of noise.
Guessed
Known user

Post by Guessed »

Deniz Kurtel - Music Watching Over Me (best full length release yet on Crosstown Rebels)
Chaim - Alive (deep house with some balearios on a .de label!!! warmth has finally penetrated Berlin)
Black Crowes - Live (rawk)
Stones - Exile remaster (crystal)
Ghostpoet - *album title is something to do with Jam and jelly and peanuts...or something (proppa pubstep)
robotoilet
Known user

Post by robotoilet »

The Psychic Paramount - II
The Psychic Paramount - Gamelan Into the Mink Supernatural
The Psychic Paramount - Live 2002 - The Franco-Italian Tour
Six Organs of Admittance - Asleep On The Floodplain
Les Rallizes Denudes - Heavier Than A Death In The Family
Last edited by robotoilet on Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shaun
Known user

Post by Shaun »

robotoilet wrote:Les Rallizes Denudes - Heavier Than A Death In The Family
I love that album, 'people can choose' is immense. At 2:16 in it just becomes hypnotic. I'd go as far as saying the first time I heard it I was absolutely floored by it's continuous pace and ferocity. But what are the lyrics about?

Last thing I bought was the Les Rallizes Denudes box-set 'great white wonder' and again, immense.
What more can the heart of a man desire?
Shaun
Known user

Post by Shaun »

Les Rallizes Denudes - Heavier Than A Death In The Family
It's fair to say the amount of people on this forum who has not heard this album yet would easily outweigh the people who has. However, you can't go wrong with this and, in my opinion, it would appeal to plenty on here. Buy it and enjoy it for what it is... a very lo-fi slice of Japanese excellence with slam on the breaks feedback and basslines from back and beyond. Re-release of 1000.
robotoilet
Known user

Post by robotoilet »

Shaun wrote:
robotoilet wrote:Les Rallizes Denudes - Heavier Than A Death In The Family
I love that album, 'people can choose' is immense. At 2:16 in it just becomes hypnotic. I'd go as far as saying the first time I heard it I was absolutely floored by it's continuous pace and ferocity. But what are the lyrics about?

Last thing I bought was the Les Rallizes Denudes box-set 'great white wonder' and again, immense.

Yes, immense is the right word for them. This album is my first experience of Les Rallizes Denudes. (Now it’s easy to get this album and "Blind baby has its mother’s eyes" on iTunes.) I cannot believe, or should be proud of, that this monstrous sound existed in Japan about 40 years ago. My favorite tracks are "ice fire" and also "people can choose". Even I hardly recognize their lyrics with heavy distortions, so googled them. "People can choose" says,

The wind that blows from the wilderness of artificial flowers
The power that does not know forgiveness
Blow away to the end of the world
The fire that flames from the bottom of the earth, from the bottom of the myth
The fire of destruction and tenderness
Burn down to the end of the world, Blow away
Your eyes are made of glass
If I look close, they look different
They tell the red proof
They flame up and shatter away
Shatter away and fly up
Shatter away like eternity, fly up

...kinda thing.
Shaun
Known user

Post by Shaun »

robotoilet wrote:I cannot believe, or should be proud of, that this monstrous sound existed in Japan about 40 years ago. My favorite tracks are "ice fire" and also "people can choose".
I hadn't thought of it like that, almost 40 years ago. Amazing sounds created back then. I have read somewhere their concerts were incendiary with walls of speakers and strobe lighting that even a seasoned spiritualized concert goer would have difficulty dealing with. On Blind Baby Has It's Mothers Eyes is the incredible 'Last One' from the Live 1977 album.
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

Wow, thanks for the recommendation for Les Rallizes Denudes. A guy at my local record store was playing them a month or two ago, but I had completely forgot their name. Their stuff is incredible, especially when you think about how long ago it was made. Some of their guitar parts have the most ridiculous white noise...I can't even fathom how it was made.

I love that about some music - when you can't imagine someone physically making the music. It's a 'the whole is greater than the sum of its parts' kind of thing. I get that from Spiritualized a lot, which is why I love them so much and why I'm on this forum right now.
Minky
Known user

Post by Minky »

Yeah, not the easiest band name to remember! Same thing with me, toomilk. I heard this in the car a few years ago on Princeton's radio station. They said the name but by the time I got home...I forgot it. Good stuff.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

1. Jim Dickinson with Chuck Prophet and the Creatures of Habit: "Live at Slims June '92. A Thousand Footprints in the Sand". (On Corduroy Records from Kew in Melbourne - Just down the road from me. Awesome stuff!)
2. The Jesus and Mary Chain: "Peel Sessions" 2LP
3. Yo La Tengo: Popular Songs (have the CD, picked this LP up 2nd hand for buttons)
4. Sterling Roswell: Psychedelic Ubik (180 g vinyl)
5. Joe Strummer and the Mescaleros "Rock Art and the X-Ray Style"
Shaun
Known user

Post by Shaun »

toomilk wrote:Wow, thanks for the recommendation for Les Rallizes Denudes. A guy at my local record store was playing them a month or two ago, but I had completely forgot their name. Their stuff is incredible, especially when you think about how long ago it was made. Some of their guitar parts have the most ridiculous white noise...I can't even fathom how it was made.
I got into them completely by chance. I happened to be in Volcanic Tongue and I picked up the Live in 1977 double cd and possibly enquired about it. Anyway, knowing nothing about them I paid £19.99. Since then I've been sourcing loads of Japanese stuff on the PSF label. That white noise is indeed totally unfathomable and their heavy distortion does not help. I'm going to listen to the 4cd box-set again.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Shaun wrote:Les Rallizes Denudes.
Jesus Christ. Does it all sound like that? Pushing the obscure and avant garde boundaries to a ridiculous degree. And noisily so!
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

runcible wrote:
Jesus Christ. Does it all sound like that? Pushing the obscure and avant garde boundaries to a ridiculous degree. And noisily so!
:lol: Bought "Blind Baby....." on Julian Cope's website years ago, figuring if it's good enough for Cope it's good enough for me. Not a regular listen it has to be said, but it has it's moments. Pretty certain i picked up some High Rise cd's off his site around the same time. If you like LRD i'm sure you'd enjoy High Rise as well.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

High Rise aren't the easiest of listens but I take your point.
Shaun
Known user

Post by Shaun »

runcible wrote:
That youtube link? No it's not all exactly like that and their lighter moments are much easier but with the same approach up to a certain degree, but they were always noisy. That link I hadn't seen before and to be honest it's not the best way in for them. The track is called 'The Last One' and considering there are 20+ minute versions of that I am thankful that clip was only half that. High Rise are also on my radar having a couple of albums of theirs. Another massive sounding live band.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Beatles, The - Paperback Writer/Rain (Mono 7", as recommended by Geoff Emerick in his fantastic book, Here, There & Everywhere)

Belle & Sebastian - Last Trip/Suicide Girl 7"

Sun Araw - Houston Abstros 7"
cantona
Known user

Post by cantona »

Brian Eno - Making Space
Low - C'mon
Hasil Adkins - Out to Hunch
The Fall - The Marshall Suite box set preorder
The Durutti Column - Vini Reilly remastered preorder
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Hills - Master Sleeps
The Upsidedown - Town With Bad Wiring (wow - fantastic - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jCXeYyVuQc)
Moon Duo - Mazes
The West Coast Pop Art Experimental Band - Companion
The Vietnam Veterans as The Gitanes - Strange Girl
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

I spent $35 at a used record store yesterday...picked up a handful of albums but the one that is most notable is:

Harvey Mandel's-''Cristo Redentor" (Mandel's first solo LP, 1968).

I came across this album probably 20 years ago but for whatever reason I didn't buy it. Until yesterday's find I haven't seen the record again. My heart fluttered when I saw it but was even more joyous when I saw it was only $5 and in VG+ shape (cover is mint)! Beautiful front cover art by Alton Kelly and the instrumental tunes inside are wonderful lounge/psychedelic blues guitar numbers. In comparison to what was coming out in '68 this LP is very chilled and relaxed. The version of 'Wade in the Water' that opens side two is very haunting!

Mandel, by the way, went on to join Canned Heat after Henry Vestine left.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I went to a record fair yesterday and made out pretty well with the following:

Tom Waits - Nighthawks At The Diner (2xLP) (very close to mint - $16)
The Raspberries - self-titled ($10)
The Raspberries - Fresh Raspberries ($5)
The Who - The Who Sell Out (original Decca pressing, vinyl is mint, cover is probably VG++ or so ... talked the vendor down to $25)
Les Paul - Early Les Paul ($5)
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

Moon Duo - Mazes
Slug Guts - Howlin' Gang
Dean & Britta - 13 Most Beautiful....
REM - Murmur (OG pressing)
Willie Wright - Telling the Truth (Numero 38)
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Deep Purple- Machinehead (deluxe version)
Mono- Walking Cloud and Deep Red Sky, Flag Fluttered and the Sun Shined
Mahavishnu Orchestra - The Inner Mounting Flame
The Chameleons- Live at the Academy (been looking for this for ages, can't find a CD version but managed to get from Amazon as mp3s)
Explosions In The Sky- Take Care, Take Care, Take Care (preorder)
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

Panda Bear - Tomboy (limited edition clear vinyl pressing)
Josh T. Pearson - Last of the Country Gentlemen
Cornershop - Cornershop & the Double 'O' Groove Of, Featuring Bubbley Kaur
Grails - Take Refuge In Clean Living
R.E.M - Collapse Into Now
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Mogwai -Harcore Will Never Die ........
Moon Duo-Mazes,
Gnod Dropout With The White Hills 2-s/t
Beady Eye- Different Gear ,Still Speeding ,
The Fall-Mexico Wax Solvent,
The Heads-Relaxed Rehearsal Tape,
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Been on a bit of a vinyl spree lately

Moon Duo: Mazes Limited Edition
Eat Lights Become Lights: Autopia
Stereolab: Dots and Loops
Stereolab: Refried Ectoplasm [Switched On Volume 2]
Yo La Tengo: Popular Songs

Also upgraded my very worn vinyl copies of:
Durutti Colum: Obey The Time
Sonic Boom: Spectrum
Spacemen 3; Recurring (Gold Sleeve)
Spiritualized: Let It Come Down
Mogwai: Young Team (Double LP Reissue)
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Aliens - Luna
Crystal Stilts - In Love With Oblivion
Low - C'mon
Moon Duo - Mazes

Oh, and Lazer Guided Melodies for a girl I've just started dating - nothing like trying to influence someone else's musical tastes at the start of a potential relationship! :wink:
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

Ads wrote:
Oh, and Lazer Guided Melodies for a girl I've just started dating - nothing like trying to influence someone else's musical tastes at the start of a potential relationship! :wink:
Ads I have done that a few times. It's the perfect album. Not too hard, not too weird, talks about love etc...

:) Always love hearing stories like that.

B,

M
Design.
nickh
Known user

Post by nickh »

MODLAB wrote:
Ads wrote:
Ads I have done that a few times. It's the perfect album. Not too hard, not too weird, talks about love etc...

:) Always love hearing stories like that.

B,

M
My (newish) girlfriend has developed a fondness for Grizzly Bear’s Veckatimest and Tindersticks in general, she thinks Stuart Staples has a sexy voice! Spiritualized have yet to work their magic on her though.
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

three Yoko Ono picture disc 12''s but they're still sealed.

George Clinton - R&B Skeletons in the Closet (1986)

Tracy Ullman - You Broke My Heart in 17 Places for $1

and this odd-ball that i grabbed for the cover art:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baron_von_ ... Chrome_Nun
http://www.amazon.com/Baron-Von-Tollboo ... B000002X1O

also $1
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Dave, that 'von Tollbooth' album is a good one. I also recommend 'Sunfighter', which is my favorite LP by Kantner & Slick.
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Went and spent some birthday bucks in Mono today...

Wooden Shjips - Vol2
White Fence - s/t
Cave - Psychic Psummer
Tame Impala - Innerspeaker
Deep Magic - Lucid Thought (on the recommendation of Mono employee who highly recommended it! Solo project by Alex Gray of Sun Araw... Mellower than Sun Araw apparently...)

Relaxing with beer in Mono while picking up CDs counts as one of the best days out possible! Was looking for Carlton Melton albums, but they were all out. He's gonna order in the first and new albums, if anyone near is looking. Did still have some of the RSD stuff floating about including the Red Crayola 7" and a few other bits and bobs...

I Love Mono!
purespace
Known user

Post by purespace »

Skully'z Records out of New Orleans was vending at Austin Psych Fest. I came home with about 15 lbs of vinyl stuffed in the laptop carrier:

Sacred Bones Presents RSD 2011 Sampler - Todo Muere Volume 1
Wooden Shjips 12" - Auld Lang Syne/O, Tannenbaum
Panda Bear - Person Pitch
Black Angels - Phosphene Dream 180 gram
Black Angels - Another Nice Pair
Black Angels - Directions to See A Ghost (Jesus this thing weighs a ton :D )
Mazzy Star - So Tonight That I Might See
Moon Duo/Bitchin Bajas 7" - Bopper's Hat/Fresh Hair
Moon Duo 7" - Catch As Catch Can
Pete International Airport - s/t (cd)

And two Asteroid #4's at the Detroit gig

Skully'z had an incredible selection with them and would have regretted getting more as I'd have had to leave it behind for lack of space :)

BTW, Roky was incredible on Sunday night. A weekend I will never forget.
I think I feel it coming on
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

I've been ODing on music recently. Not necessarily a bad thing though.

Purling Hiss - Public Service Announcement LP
Purling Hiss - Hissteria LP
Julian Cope - Fried LP
Wedding Present - BBC Sessions 87-90 CD
Short Circuit - Live at the Electric Circus 10"
Sonic's Rendezvous Band - Live at Masonic Auditorium 1978 LP
Belle & Sebastian - Jonathan David 7"
Sly & the Family Stone - There's a Riot Goin' On LP first pressing (complete with insert)
Blag Flag - In My Head LP
Black Angels - Another Nice Pair (thanks Alan!)
Women - Public Strain LP
The Ruts - The Crack CD
The Ruts - Grin and Bear It CD
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

toomilk wrote:The Ruts - The Crack CD
Ooh - nice call and a crucial reference point for me. Also probably the finest musicians ever to come out of UK punk. RIP Paul Fox!
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

runcible wrote:
toomilk wrote:The Ruts - The Crack CD
Ooh - nice call and a crucial reference point for me. Also probably the finest musicians ever to come out of UK punk. RIP Paul Fox!
Agreed. Those are a couple of fantastic albums. Sadly underrated band really. I've just finished reading Babylons' Buning by Clinton Heylin and don't recall that The Ruts rated much of a mention, which is a shocking oversight if true.

Anyway 5 recent purchases for me:

Architecture in Helsinki - Moment Bends (bought on recommendation, sadly it is disposable cod electro shite)
The Besnard Lakes: Are The Roaring Night
Tame Impala - Innerspeaker (Bought for me by the Wife for an 18th Wedding anniversary present - never heard of them but it was OK on first listen)
Panda Bear - Tomboy (what the wife was trying to buy...Pandas, Impalas who can tell the difference eh?? :lol: )
Explosions in the sky - Take care, take care, take care - bit worried about this. Everything I've heard about it suggests that it is shite. Haven't listened to it yet.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Due to near poverty levels and futile attempts at 'saving money' there have been absolutely no recent record purchases - however a bunch of Amazon vouchers received at xmas - which I'd somehow forgotten about - is my friend.

On the way...

Pharoahe Monch - W.A.R. (We Are Renegades) :shock: blown away to find out PM has a new one out. His previous record Desire is one of my all-time favourites. Really looking forward to this...

Sic Alps - Napa Asylum as recommended by Jack White and sounds interesting.

Miles Davis - Bitches Brew Live - 'official' Columbia recording - where the fuck did this come from? As I understand has an electric recording as a quartet - just Miles and rhythm section! - from Newport 1969 and the 1970 Isle of Wight show. This I have somewhere as a bootleg but the sound quality is gonna be better. Can't wait to hear this.

James Brown - Super Bad. Just because.
O P 8
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

toomilk wrote:Belle & Sebastian - Jonathan David 7"
Stellar! I believe the cd has one extra track and all three are perfect. Excellent choice.
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

Spiritualized "the Music of Spiritualized 1990-2002" 2 CD + data sheet US Promo
The Beatles "Please Please Me" Mono 1963 LP Parlophone UK
False Prophets "Implosion" (Alternative Tentacles) 1989 7" UK single
Pulp "This is Hardcore" Japanese Promo CD w/ boolklet 1998
The Grid Meets Timothy Leary "Origins of Dance" 1990 UK 12" single
Spiritualized "Lay back in the Sun" EU only promo 1995
Elvis Presley "The Wonder of You" 3 track Dutch CD 2005
Elvis Presley "His Hand in Mine" original "Living Stereo" USA 1960 release
The Beatles "ob-la-di-ob-la da" Japanese original 1968 7" release and another copy, the 1969 UK Apple release
The Waterproof Candle-electrically heated child; produced by Jimmy Webb 1968 UK 7" single
Eclection "Eclection" 1968 USA Elektra LP. remarkably still sealed. I have always liked this LP, and the handful of single releases; (I have heard that the CD release sounds terrible; but I ordered a copy anyway earlier today. Great quality Vinyl pressings are worth keeping in mint condition, the sonic treat is generally superior to CDs. "Give me High Fidelity or give me Death"
David Bowie/ Bing Crosby "Peace on Earth"/"Little drummer Boy" UK Promo CD
Lol Creme and Kevin Godley "Consequences" Japanese Promo 3 LP set 1977
Paracelsus
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

semisynthetic wrote:Spiritualized "the Music of Spiritualized 1990-2002" 2 CD + data sheet US Promo
So is this a real thing?

Is it a legitimate pressing or just burned CDs in a slip cover?
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Mott The Hoople- Pop Chronik 11 2x LP
Shuggie Otis- Inspiration Information LP
Otis Redding- Live In EuropeLp
Otis Redding- the History Of LP
The Beat(English)- Special Beat Service MFSL Audiophile Lp
Congos- Heart Of The Congos LP
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

spzretent wrote: Shuggie Otis- Inspiration Information LP
This album was all the rage in the mid 90's. It seems to have been rediscovered back then and quickly became the holy grail to many hip acid jazz/soul bands and singers in the 90's. I like it but every time I play it I just hear the sound of Jamiroquai (remember them?). Seems Jay Kay must have discovered this Shuggie album and ended up basing his sound almost entirely on it.

Shuggie also played on Al Kooper's follow up to the brilliant Super Session album (with Mike Bloomfield and Stephen Stills). I think he was like 16 at the time! What an honor 'eh?!
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

redcloud wrote:
spzretent wrote: Shuggie Otis- Inspiration Information LP
This album was all the rage in the mid 90's. It seems to have been rediscovered back then and quickly became the holy grail to many hip acid jazz/soul bands and singers in the 90's. I like it but every time I play it I just hear the sound of Jamiroquai (remember them?). Seems Jay Kay must have discovered this Shuggie album and ended up basing his sound almost entirely on it.
:shock:

I count myself fortunate that I never associated the two (until now!!!) - I like that Shuggie Otis record - hey, I like the Brothers Johnson take of 'Strawberry Letter 23' as well.

Sadly, for us in the UK, Jamiroquai never went away... :wink:
O P 8
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Man i hate that Shuggie Otis record. I remember reading how it was this great psychedelic funk album then i got it home and it was this bland 70s LA shit, not impressed. Only ever returned two records in my life because i didn't like them and Mr. Otis' album was one of 'em (the other being The Notwist "Neon Golden").
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

sunray wrote:Man i hate that Shuggie Otis record. I remember reading how it was this great psychedelic funk album then i got it home and it was this bland 70s LA shit, not impressed. Only ever returned two records in my life because i didn't like them and Mr. Otis' album was one of 'em (the other being The Notwist "Neon Golden").
I don't hate the Shuggie album...it's easy listening. But it doesn't do much for me. I certainly wouldn't classify it as "psychedelic funk". More like Psychedelic disco or west coast soul.

For serious psychedelic funk look no further than the obvious first three Funkadelic albums. Those are the obvious ones that we all have in our collection but a couple more obscure psych funk gems worthy of searching for are the 'Purple Image'' and the 'Next Morning' LP's. Groovy, gritty and full of bad ass funky ghetto boys getting it on with a ton of wah-wah. Now that's my bag! 8)
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

toomilk wrote:
semisynthetic wrote:Spiritualized "the Music of Spiritualized 1990-2002" 2 CD + data sheet US Promo
So is this a real thing?

Is it a legitimate pressing or just burned CDs in a slip cover?
also not really an LP...
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

I played the Shuggie Otis record yesterday. It starts out with a bang and kind of fizzles after that. But I dont have a lot invested as it was a used LP. $5.
Matter of fact the only one that set me back anything significant(over $5) on that list was the Special Beat Service MFSL LP. And I realized maybe I dont like that lp as much as I thought. The recording/remaster is good.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

spzretent wrote:I played the Shuggie Otis record yesterday. It starts out with a bang and kind of fizzles after that. But I dont have a lot invested as it was a used LP. $5.
Is that an original issue 1974 Shuggie album or a 90's/2000's reissue? If it is an original LP...$5 is a steal.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

original 1974 and its stamped promo on back. Label is orange.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

spzretent wrote:original 1974 and its stamped promo on back. Label is orange.
Nice one. I have no clue what an original issue of that album is worth nor do I know the condition it is in. I say it is 1-0 to you. But, the guy got what he wanted for it so go ahead and call it even. Still, I say you came out on top.