Black Angels - Phosgene Nightmare 10"
toomilk
Known user

Re: Last five albums/lp's you bought?

Post by toomilk »

runcible wrote:
toomilk wrote:The Ruts - The Crack CD
The Ruts - Grin and Bear It CD
Ooh - nice call and a crucial reference point for me. Also probably the finest musicians ever to come out of UK punk. RIP Paul Fox!
Incredible musicians. Incredible song-writing. Two things you usually don't get from the first wave of UK punk. What I like best about them is probably the rock-solid rhythm section. Almost every song has some kind of unusually emphasized upbeat (if that makes sense). It keeps things interesting. I also have to mention "Staring at the Rude Boys." What a song!

http://youtu.be/M1LMtQ8t6hQ
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

To answer your questions:

"The Music of Spiritualized 1990-2002" is a US promo only 2-CD set from Chrysalis Records-2002. The artwork was apparently taken from the Kevin Westerberg promo photo shoot in 2001, (the photo w/ the "wavy lines" behind ? spaceman). The reverse is a listing of the songs along with their UK chart postions, from 1990-1996 and 1997-2002. The ownership of the recordings is given as "Dedicated/ Arista". Contact info, which I believe is out of date, gives the offices and A&R contact. I hope this helps. "just another promo".
Spiritualized-The-Music-Of-Spir-528760.jpg
Spiritualized-The-Music-Of-Spir-528760.jpg (37.01 KiB) Viewed 7563 times
This is the obverse.
Below is the reverse w/ the song list and other data.
Attachments
SpiritualizedMusicReverse.jpg
SpiritualizedMusicReverse.jpg (61.66 KiB) Viewed 7535 times
Last edited by semisynthetic on Thu May 26, 2011 5:39 am, edited 6 times in total.
"Everything is a Poison; it is the amount or degree that separates one Poison from another"
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Re: Last few albums/lp's you bought?

Post by semisynthetic »

1. Yoko Ono "Walking on Thin Ice (for John)" USA 1981 7" White vinyl/ White label Test Pressing in white sleeve
1b. Yoko Ono "walking on thin ice for John" USA 1981 7" commercial release w/ Geffen sleeve
2. Yoko Ono "Walking on Thin Ice (for John)" USA 1981 12" White label Promo Test Pressing in Geffen Pic Sleeve
3. Yoko Ono "Walking on Thin Ice" UK 2007 2-track 12" Pic Disc w/ Jason Pierce-sealed
4. Pink Floyd "Run Like Hell"/ "Don't Leave Me Now" German Unverkaufliche Musterplatte 1979 7" White Label w/ PS
5. Pink Floyd "A Saucerful of Secrets" USA (Orange) Tower Label 1968 LP; w/ a Tower flyer for "The Piper at the gates of Dawn"
6. Crazy World of Arthur Brown "Fire"/ "Rest Cure" 1968 orig 7" Japanese-Polydor/Nippon Grammophon
w/ inserts in Japanese DP-1596
7. "Let them Eat Jellybeans" French Release (Alternative Tentacles) New Wave/ Punk w/ "Reagan Youth Poster"-sealed
8. Spiritualized "Music in A & E" USA 2-LP 2008 vinyl - sealed
9. "Jazz Spot USA" early 1962 orange vinyl Japanese release; has photos of albums of the day w/ handwritten catalogue #'s-GREAT live performance(s) w/ background ambient club sounds; a fantastic find!
10. "Tumor Circus" USA 7" Clear Vinyl Promo of "Don't leave me or I'll kill our dog" 1991-sealed
11. Sons of the Pioneers "Old Man Atom" USA c.1947 78rpm shellac- GREAT; (you can find this version on YouTube) see: "Old Man Atom" posted by nucular1000
12. [-an instrumental-] "DEEP NIGHT" listed as "Voodoo Foxtrot w/ female sextette"; written by Charles Henderson and made popular w/ arrangement by Rudy Vallee; this copy c. 1932- 78rpm shellac; extraordinary instrumental with "voodoo" chorus, not at all like the original vocal arrangement. SPOOKY Another Great Find!
Last edited by semisynthetic on Thu May 26, 2011 4:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Everything is a Poison; it is the amount or degree that separates one Poison from another"
Paracelsus
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Purling Hiss by Purling Hiss
Off Duty + Boat Trip by Sun Araw CD
Public Service Announcement by Purling Hiss
Lone Pigeon- 28 Secret Tracks
Talk Talk- Laughing Stock CD
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

spzretent wrote:Purling Hiss by Purling Hiss
:shock:
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

you think i'm not up for it??
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Purling Hiss are an act I'd describe as 'way too heavy' for you! It's more insane and lo-fi than The Heads and I know you have issues there so Purling Hiss seemed like the wrong direction!

Mind you I have only a couple of albums. If that's the one with Almost Washed My Hair on it I suspect it'll be too much!
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

What i'd heard I liked. Who knows. They aren't here yet.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

The Purling Hiss stuff I heard was a little too insane for my taste. I'll be curious to hear what you think.

Here are my recent purchases:

Lumerians - Transmalinnia (LP)
Gruff Rhys - Hotel Shampoo (LP)
Dum Dum Girls - He Gets Me High 12"
Aiden Moffat & Bill Wells - Everything Is Getting Older (3xLP!)
The Beatles - Revolver (Dutch Parlophone 1st Pressing - Mono LP)
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Nice one Paul. The Lumerians are one of the most interesting bands I've come across for a awhile.

Who here linked me to that Dum Dum Girls? Was that you Barry? Some sublime vocals on that EP...
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Was it? Could have been - they're fantastic, like a heavy metal Blondie, which is an awesome combo :!:
O P 8
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I think it was me that passed on the Dum Dum Girls EP to you, Mark :D I have to give a shout out to Tyler (shalloboi) for hooking me up with a digital copy, which I obviously enjoyed so much that I bought the 12".
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Yeah, it's got a really 'up' feeling.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

BzaInSpace wrote:Was it? Could have been - they're fantastic, like a heavy metal Blondie, which is an awesome combo :!:
:shock: Really? As usual it seems i have to be a contrary bastard and disagree :lol: Saw them a couple of months ago and could only say average at best. If i was 16 i probably would've liked 'em, but now, at 38... Nah.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

13th Floor Elevators -USA Live in S.F. '66 "on Lysergic Records" very well done ROIO on 12" LP; recorded 1966-7; released 1987 (sealed); this will remain a sealed spare copy-a great record; Deep Blue cover w/ song listing on back.
Psychic TV "New York Scum Haters" LP; Icelandic private pressing of 1000 copies; 1981; Excellent.
Moby Grape "Murder in my heart for the judge"/ "Can't be so bad" UK 1968 7" in CBS PS; from their USA 1st LP. Correction: From "WOW" their 2nd LP.
Moby Grape "Moby Grape" USA 1st LP 1967; still sealed w/ Poster and "the finger" cover; another $pare copy.
Dead Kennedy's "A Skating Party" LP; another well done ROIO released 1984; w/ card from the Spanish-American War, "Dear Carlos..." Excellent.
Brother Dave Gardner "Rejoice Dear Hearts" 1960 USA; LP; Comedy.
Reverend Billy Graham "answers Teenagers Questions" USA; 1957; square (literally) picture disc [of a 1950's "repulsively wholesome scene"]; Interesting; Excellent archeological find from within a case of 60 10" Gospel Hymn 78's from 1908-1949. Among these Hymns, "I'll fly away" and other standards-"Old oaken Bucket", "Silver Threads among the Gold" etcetera. Remarkably well preserved 45rpm.
Heaven 17 "Crushed by the Wheels of Industry" 12" single UK.
10CC "Wallstreet Shuffle"/ "Gizmo my Way" 1974 7" UK single on UK Records; this little single would eventually separate Lol Creme and Kevin Godley from 10CC to work on what would become "Consequences" released in 1977, Mercury 017, 3LP Box Set.
The Stranglers "Rattus Norvicus" USA; 1st LP, United Label; 1977.
Sex Pistols "my Way"/ "who cares" w/ sid vicious sleeve 1977 7" single Japanese release. Excellent
HARVEST SAMPLER "A breath of fresh air" early 1970's LP sampler; great cover, great music.
It's A Beautiful Day "It's a Beautiful Day" USA 1967 LP Columbia; (from their A&R Archives); yet another spare.
Barclay James Harvest "Baby James Harvest" USA LP Harvest-still sealed; yet another spare.
The Dorsey Brothers "Sally of my Dreams"/ "At the Crossroads" USA 10" 78rpm Okeh11151. Excellent.
Last edited by semisynthetic on Sun May 29, 2011 3:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paracelsus
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

Verlaines - Juvenilia CD
Clinic - Walking With Thee LP
The Men - Leave Home LP
Morrissey - Viva Hate CD

I've been revisiting the solo careers of singers of my favorite bands (Smiths, Birthday Party, etc). I could never really get into Nick Cave or Morrissey's solo efforts, but I'm trying again. Still don't like Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds, so hopefully I'll have better luck with Morrissey.......
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

semisynthetic wrote: Moby Grape "Murder in my heart for the judge"/ "Can't be so bad" UK 1968 7" in CBS PS; from their USA 1st LP.
These songs were actually from their second album, 'Wow', which also came with the 'Grape Jam' EP.

The 'Grape Jam' EP was recorded in a similar late night/stoned improv style to the Bloomfield/Kooper 'Super Session' LP. In fact, Bloomfield appears on it too. Side one of 'GJ' is fucking brilliant.

Have you ever heard their extended jam, 'Dark Magic'? They never recorded it in the studio...only played live but it is one serious, far out, killer SF acid guitar workout. It almost sounds like QMS.
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

WOW. You are absolutely correct. (I purchased the aforementioned single along with a pristine, sealed copy of the 1967 "Moby Grape "Moby Grape" w/ poster and naughty finger cover that I did not list-(just another co$tly $pare).
I probably confused myself. I will show these corrections above.

-and by the Moby way-

A so-called "reissue" of "Wow" and "Grape Jam" is available on a 2-CD set. However, "Just like Gene Autrey, a Foxtrot", and another cut, this one from "Jam" are not included! Certainly with all the digital wizardry at their disposal the could transfer the 78rpm "foxtrot" track at a "listenable" speed......and why would ANYTHING be left off of the "Jam" recording?
Paracelsus
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

semisynthetic wrote: and another cut, this one from "Jam" are not included!
I am assuming that the omitted track is probably 'The Lake'? That tune is loose, flowing music with little structure (compared to the other cuts) and has poetry/short story being read by Michael Hayworth. Side two is certainly the weaker side of 'Jam' but it is still worth having.

The opening track, 'Never' has often been credited as being the main inspiration for 'Since I've Been Loving You'. Robert Plant was a huge Grape fan.
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

(Actually, what I meant was, a "re-issue" should be exactly that or perhaps with BONUS cuts if on CD; to issue less than was first on the album is, in my opinion not a true "re-issue" as indicated on the hype-sticker).

Speaking of "reissues", I received the CD "rerelease" of Eclection "Eclection". I was told the sound was terrible, but I went ahead just the same. The sound is absolutely awful. I have bootlegs that outshine this monstrosity. A beautiful album made unlistenable, "collectors records" indeed.
Paracelsus
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

toomilk wrote:Verlaines - Juvenilia CD
The Men - Leave Home LP
Morrissey - Viva Hate CD

I've been revisiting the solo careers of singers of my favorite bands (Smiths, Birthday Party, etc). I could never really get into Nick Cave or Morrissey's solo efforts, but I'm trying again. Still don't like Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds, so hopefully I'll have better luck with Morrissey.......
Viva Hate is excellent. You also can't go wrong with Vauxhall & I, Your Arsenal and, of course, Bona Drag.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

yep both Viva Hate and Vauxhall & I are very good all the way through. The first half of You Are The Quarry is really good too. never got on with Your Arsenal myself.
Last edited by angelsighs on Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

TheWarmth wrote:
toomilk wrote:Verlaines - Juvenilia CD
The Men - Leave Home LP
Morrissey - Viva Hate CD

Viva Hate is excellent. You also can't go wrong with Vauxhall & I, Your Arsenal and, of course, Bona Drag.
I agree about Viva Hate. It is also something of a Durutti Column album in disguise as Vini Reilly (Guitar) and John Metcalfe (Viola, String Arrangements) play on it. Reilly's guitar is superb throughout, but particularly shines on on Late Night, Maudlin Street...beautifully subtle work, where the heavier riffing of the singles in particular tends to get most of the attention.

The Durutti Column' s album at the time Vinni Reilly came with a 7" single of an outtake of "I know very well how I got my name" featuring Moz on vocals and VR on accoustic guitar and stonking bum note. The song was titled "I know very well how I got my note wrong"......I've got the demos for the album somewhere if anyone is interested.....

EDIT: Back on topic

The Heads "Sessions" (Very expensive eBay purchase)
E.A.R. PestRepeller
Slowdive Pygmalion
Perplexa:The Glorious Forward
Perplexa: The Sun and The Moon Getting It On
and Various Moon Duo, Mogwai, Wooden Shjips and Record Store Day singles....
Minky
Known user

Post by Minky »

All vinyl:

Spectrum / Cheval Sombre - Split 7"
Hills - Master Sleeps (Blue Vinyl Version x2, got a bum sleeve copy so they sent a another)
Cave - Psychic Psummer (Thanks Paul Warmth for the recommendation)
Stereolab - Instant 0 In The Universe (3x7")

Two Pre-orders:

White Hills - H-p1
Gnod - Ingnodwetrust
JakeCardigan
Known user

Post by JakeCardigan »

Addison Groove - Footcrab 12"
Addison Groove - It's Got Me 12"
CAVE - Hunt Like Devil EP
Zomby - The Lie 12"
Peaking Lights - 936
Photek - UFO (Addison Groove's Almost Headhunter Remix) 12"
Shackleton - Deadman 12"
[url]http://adventuresinthesoundscape.com/[/url]
[url]http://www.mixcloud.com/adventuresinthesoundscape/[/url]
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

only 4 albums bought recently,

The Heads -Dead In The Water ,
Angelic Upstarts -Teenage Warning ,
The Fall- Grotesque ,
R.L. Burnside-Come On In,

all good .
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

only four for me recently too

Fleet Foxes- Helplessness Blues
White Noise Sound- s/t
Psychic Paramount- II
Spirit- Twelve Dreams of Dr Sardonicus
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

angelsighs wrote: Spirit- Twelve Dreams of Dr Sardonicus
I've sung this album's praises in here before. Incredible record.

If you like it you should get their first three albums released prior to 'Sardonicus'.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

redcloud wrote:

If you like it you should get their first three albums released prior to 'Sardonicus'.
cool, I'll see what I think of this one first, read about the band in a collection of Ian MacDonalds articles (he of Revolution In The Head fame) and he was bigging them up so thought I'd check them out
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

Kraftwerk; "Minimum Maximum" German 4-LP Box Set ( & the same release, but a The "2 CD Slipcase Set")
Kraftwerk; “Kraftwerk 1” und “Kraftwerk 2”; (The original "Cone" covers- German LPs); ea. sealed
Gary Numan & The Tubeway Army "Are Friends Electric?/ “Down in the Sewers”" 7" Pic Disc; sealed
Spiritualized; “Medication”/ “Spread your Wings” (instrumental); UK 12” single-sided Promo White label; Dedicated 1995
One Dead Pope Leads to Another, c. 1981, 7” test pressing
Sampler – “No New York” (on jacket - produced by Brian Eno) Excellent; Dark and essential look into the New Wave/ Punk scene of the 1980’s
Sampler-“Yes L.A.” (“on jacket - not produced by Brian Eno”) also Excellent; Clear vinyl 12” Picture Disc; "Blow up Disneyland”, “At the Laundrymat” and other quirky stuff.
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

angelsighs wrote:
redcloud wrote:

Spirit is Fantastic; try the Randy Kalifornia "Whirly Birds"; [and "Potato Land" It is......well, different]; I always liked Spirit's "Spirit of '76" (2-LP set) as well.
Paracelsus
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

yesterday had my complete wagner opera collection delivered! :D 43 cds of german opera. bliss :D
'raging and weeping are left on the early road
now each in his holy hill
the glittering and hurting days are alomst done
then let us compare mythologies
i have learned my elaborate lie
of soaring crosses and poisened thorns'
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

semisynthetic wrote:
Spirit is Fantastic; try the Randy Kalifornia "Whirly Birds"; [and "Potato Land" It is......well, different];

Yea, I like the Kapt. Kopter album but 'Potato Land' is a bit too cheezy for me. It has its moments but on the whole it is too novelty and silly to really appreciate it.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

olan wrote: Perplexa:The Glorious Forward
Perplexa: The Sun and The Moon Getting It On
Like 'em? I love them especially "The Sun..." record.

Do you have their latest, 'Gone Beyond"? An absolute must have if you don't have it, yet. Easily my favorite album of the year, so far.

There is also a full length from '97 that is good. Somewhat reminds me of early Porcupine Tree.
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

redcloud wrote:
semisynthetic wrote:
Spirit is Fantastic; try the Randy Kalifornia "Whirly Birds"; [and "Potato Land" It is......well, different];

Yea, I like the Kapt. Kopter album but 'Potato Land' is a bit too cheezy for me. It has its moments but on the whole it is too novelty and silly to really appreciate it.

The adjective I used regarding "Potato Land" was '.....well, "Different". I did not say that it was "Profound" or an "Essential" must-have........
but I do understand and appreciate your opinion. "Along the Time Coast" it is not.

I believe it to be more of a fun record, an unusual vehicle in which the musicians could show their talents while having a bit of creative tongue in cheek, doing something, well, different and unusual, but still a higher level of expertise and quality is there.

Do you have "Spirit of '76"? That (2-LP set) has some great music in it that I believe any Spirit fan would enjoy.
Paracelsus
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

semisynthetic wrote: Do you have "Spirit of '76"?
I do. Good album. "Sunrise" is brilliant. Nice version of "Like A Rolling Stone" too.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

I broke down and bought that Flaming Lips Heady Nuggs box set. I opened and immediately took Yoshimi...and Soft Bulletin out, listed them on ebay, and replaced them with In A Priest Driven Ambulance.
So now I have have a Flaming Lips- Heady Nuggs Ronald Jones version box set!
Ryan Adams Gold reissued 2x LP
Primal Scream- Screamadelica 2x red vinyl LP + Dixie Narco 12" RSD 2011 version.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

spzretent wrote:I broke down and bought that Flaming Lips Heady Nuggs box set. I opened and immediately took Yoshimi...and Soft Bulletin out, listed them on ebay, and replaced them with In A Priest Driven Ambulance.
So now I have have a Flaming Lips- Heady Nuggs Ronald Jones version box set!
8)
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

I never realized Ronald Jones was only a member on Clouds. He may have played on Transmissions but he isnt credited.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

spzretent wrote:I never realized Ronald Jones was only a member on Clouds. He may have played on Transmissions but he isnt credited.
Yea, both Jones and Drozd joined the band for the 'Transmissions' LP. Donahue left for the Rev...not sure why Roberts left. Jones and Drozd may have also been on one of the EP's that was released before 'Transmissions' (did the "Needles" EP come out before or after the LP)?
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

1. AFX/Aphex Twin: Analord 1-12
Purchased from The Warmth via the Cop Zone - have only listened to the first three, but all in minty-mint nick
2.The Men: Leave Home
Simply ferocious - nice!
3. Goodspeed! You Black Emperor: F#a# Infinity
Couldn't find my copy - this is a replacement
4. Sacred Bones Presents: a Record Day 2011 Sampler Todo Muere Volume 1
Wierd, eclectic mix of stuff
5. The Warlocks: Surgery
$5 in a Melbourne Record Store - you just know that is money well spent. Top Stuff
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

spzretent wrote:I never realized Ronald Jones was only a member on Clouds. He may have played on Transmissions but he isnt credited.
Eh? He is on my copy:
Wayne - is a Capricorn
Steven - is 5 feet 11 inches
Michael - weighs 127 pounds
Ronald - wears size 9 1/2 shoe
That's the off the wall style the Lips normally credit themselves of course but he's in there.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Not on the new vinyl remasters. No mention of him anywhere.
Not surprising. Maybe the Lips think Ronald held them back from major success.
He was the best thing that ever happened to them!
Already There
Known user

Post by Already There »

The Virgin Suicides - Air
W: What are we supposed to do with that?
M: Eat it.
W: Eat it? Fucker’s alive.
M: Yeah, you’ve got to kill it.
W: Me? I’m the firelighter and fuel collector.

Gigs 2010: http://www.last.fm/user/Colin_in_Mexico/events/2010
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

David Bowie "Space Oddity"/ "It Ain't Easy" JAPANESE 7" single RCA White Label Promo w/ PS 1973 Excellent.
Lou Reed "Street Hassle" 12" Single w/ "I'm Waiting for the Man" & "Venus in Furs" 1978 Arista w/ PS
Lou Reed "New York" 1989 LP; German; w/ 3 page Press Release and Photos
Rolling Stones "Mothers' Little Helper"/ "Lady Jane" JAPANESE 1966 7" single w/ PS
Laurie Anderson "Lanquage is a Virus" 12" US promo
Spirit "Live" German LP; still sealed.

By the way, I had a good listen to Bowies' "The Man Who Sold the World", an LP US Promo copy I listed some time ago - FANTASTIC!
I had forgotten how good that record is.
Paracelsus
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

Been buying a lot of stuff lately...

Deerhunter - Cryptograms 2xLP (forgot how great this record is...some songs on it are fantastic!)
Gang of Four - BBC Sessions LP
Suicide - 1/2 Alive 2003 reissue LP on clear blue
Ruts/Penetration - BBC in concert CD
Miles Davis - On the Corner LP
Clash - London Calling original American pressing 2xLP
Van Morrison - Astral Weeks CD (I know, I'm a late comer to this one)
New Orleans Jazz in the 20s LP (comp from the 60s)
Numero 21 - Soul Messages from Dimona 2xLP
Pogues - If I Should Fall from Grace with God LP (alternative cover)
Nathaniel Mayer - Why Don't You Give It to Me original LP
Elvis Costello - Armed Forces original LP (with the fold out sleeve)
Rise & Fall - Into Oblivion LP
Primal Scream - Vanishing Point reissue 2xLP
Primal Scream - Screamadelica reissue CD
Perplexa - Gone Beyond CD
Spiritualized - Let It Flow CD3 (with series box)
The Fall - Palace of Swords Reversed original LP

Going to a record fair on Saturday!!!
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

redcloud wrote:

listened to Sardonicus a couple of times and gotta say it's not grabbed me at all yet. any particular stand out tracks I should be listening out for?

latest buys:
Labradford- Mi Media Naranja
Red Sparowes-Every Red Heart Shines Toward the Red Sun
Acid Mothers Temple- IAO Chant From The Cosmic Inferno
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

angelsighs wrote:
listened to Sardonicus a couple of times and gotta say it's not grabbed me at all yet. any particular stand out tracks I should be listening out for?
Mr. Skin
Natures Way
Animal Zoo
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

angelsighs wrote:
Personally, my two favorite tracks on the album are 'When I Touch You' and 'Street Worm'. But, as spzretent suggests, you can't go wrong with 'Mr Skin' either. I think it is a great album.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

thanks redcloud and spzretent I will keep listening
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

angelsighs wrote:
I would like to suggest Spirit's 2-lp set "Spirit of '76"; although I am a big Spirit fan and 'Sardonicus' is very good, it is my opinion that Spirit shows a broader, deeper level of lyrical and instrumental achievement in '76. ( I consider all there work to be excellent, so there is that bias). :D
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

toomilk wrote:Been buying a lot of stuff lately...
Clash - London Calling original American pressing 2xLP

toomilk, what is the label and label number of your copy; what year was your copy released?

I have always enjoyed "The Clash - Sandinista", a 3-LP set; do you have it?
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Re: Last five or so 7"/ albums/lp's (even a CD) you bought?

Post by semisynthetic »

Lou Reed "Women" / "Underneath the Bottle" / "Waves of Fear" 12" French Single original copy 1982 w/ PS [sealed]
Roger Waters "The Pros and Cons of Hitch Hiking" 12" LP 1984; UK "pink label" Test Pressing
Be Bop Deluxe "Axe Victim" Harvest label original copy 12" LP 1974
Téléphone "Metro"/ "Hygiaphone" 7" first release; French 1977 w/ PS
Nico "Camera Obscura" 12" LP; original copy 1986 Japanese Promo White Label
David Bowie "Space Oddity" 12" LP original copy 1969 Dutch (Philips label) [sealed]
David Bowie "Space Oddity" 7" UK White Label single-sided test Pressing 1973
Pink Floyd "Obscured by Clouds" 12" LP; 1972 Frenche Pathé original copy
Pink Floyd "A Saucerful of Secrets" (1/2 of the LP-side1; side 2 is another "mastered by capitol" "Amazing Grace-Sacred Music") Pink Vinyl; strange - 1 of 5 White Label Test Pressing copies created rather late one evening in late 1968; US Capitol/(Tower) label 12" LP
Harpers Bizarre "As Time Goes By" Japanese Only ["naughty cover"] Promo CD w/ extras 1992 [sealed]
Glenn Miller "This is Glenn Miller vol 1-4"; (4) 7" discs 1962 UK set; original copy
Badfinger "Magic Christian Music" 1969; US 12" LP Apple label original copy [still sealed]
David Bowie "Rebel Rebel" 7"; 4-track Australian RCA EP 1973 original issue
Syringe "Just One More" 7" single sided test pressing; gift from the publisher
The Cramps 'Tour Box' (4) 7" discs, green, red, blue & black vinyl; 1983 (French) New Wave/ Punk era [still sealed] original copy
Last edited by semisynthetic on Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paracelsus
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

semisynthetic wrote: toomilk, what is the label and label number of your copy; what year was your copy released?
Epic, E2 36328. 1979.

Doesn't list "Train in Vain" on the back of the sleeve or on the center of the fourth side.

Sadly, my copy is incomplete. Someone took out the original inserts (probably the people at the record store, as the two current sleeves look suspiciously clean. Got a good price on it because of that.

I don't have Sandinista on vinyl. Someone dropped off their clash collection at my local record store and they had it for a decent price, but like all copies of the LP I come across, they are in really bad condition.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Just a couple of things recently:

Radiohead: Little By Little (Caribou Remix) / Lotus Flower (Jacques Green Remix) 12"
White Hills: Measured Energy 7"
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

My spending has slowed right down these days but:

The Horrors - Skying - really loving this, apart from Monica Gems which is skippable. Excellent sounds throughout.
JSBX - Black Betty - tour 7", sent to me from Texas as a bday present from a good online chum. Would love to hear this LOUD on a great night out.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

semisynthetic wrote:Lou Reed "Women" / "Underneath the Bottle" / "Waves of Fear" 12" French Single original copy 1982 w/ PS [sealed]
Roger Waters "The Pros and Cons of Hitch Hiking" 12" LP 1984; UK "pink label" Test Pressing
Téléphone "Metro"/ "Hygiaphone" 7" first release; French 1977 w/ PS
David Bowie "Space Oddity" 12" LP original copy 1969 Dutch (Philips label) [sealed]
Pink Floyd "A Saucerful of Secrets" (1/2 of the LP-side1; side 2 is another "mastered by capitol" "Amazing Grace-Sacred Music") Pink Vinyl; strange - 1 of 5 White Label Test Pressing copies created rather late one evening in late 1968; US Capitol/(Tower) label 12" LP
Harpers Bizarre "As Time Goes By" Japanese Only ["naughty cover"] Promo CD w/ extras 1992 [sealed]
Glenn Miller "This is Glenn Miller vol 1-4"; (4) 7" discs 1962 UK set; original copy
Badfinger "Magic Christian Music" 1969; US 12" LP Apple label original copy [still sealed]
The Cramps 'Tour Box' (4) 7" discs, green, red, blue & black vinyl; 1983 (French) New Wave/ Punk era [still sealed] original copy
I enjoy the detail of your posts here. Where do you buy your vinyl? Some of this stuff is obviously extremely rare.
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

toomilk wrote:
semisynthetic wrote:

I don't have Sandinista on vinyl. Someone dropped off their clash collection at my local record store and they had it for a decent price, but like all copies of the LP I come across, they are in really bad condition.

Just kidding! I found an incredible copy of it today. Poster and everything. Perfect condition. :mrgreen:
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

great score, toomilk; an excellent addition to your collection; a different side of The Clash.
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

TheWarmth wrote:
semisynthetic wrote:Lou Reed "Women" / "Underneath the Bottle" / "Waves of Fear" 12" French Single original copy 1982 w/ PS [sealed]
Téléphone "Metro"/ "Hygiaphone" 7" (first Téléphone release); French 1977 w/ PS
I enjoy the detail of your posts here. Where do you buy your vinyl? Some of this stuff is obviously extremely rare.
Thank you TheWarmth.
My closest friends have been telling me for years that "you don't find anything, what you keep buying HAS FOUND YOU!"
There is some truth to their comments, but it has been a long additive process of finding dealers, shops and "connections".
I have been building this collection for many years. In the beginning, I would make regular trips to all the music stores in the area; there were once many more shops each with their own differing focus, some specializing in imports, some Audiophile, New , Used, variety. Because of my work, I was always in or near a college town, and so the music was usually made up of the newest releases and greatest variety. I was such a regular customer, and a good customer - buying a wide variety of genre, eras and media, that eventually each shop would let me know what day(s) their new shipments were coming in, and let me glean through the boxes before they set out the new incoming items. I would like to believe that this access was do in part to my tenancity and obvious interest in music, and not simply that I $pent a lot.
I had the good fortune to know a number of radio DJs and the station owners as well. Country and Western stations were always a treasure trove. Unplayed Beatles Box Set Promo Programs, New Wave, Punk, Classical, "oldies", comedy and more; the play programming of these stations was usually very narrow, so I obtained items in a condition that I would likely otherwise never find them in; radio stations are notoriously rough on vinyl.

Nowadays, I receive boxes and boxes and crates from dealers, private dealers, museums and shops and stores from all over the world for me to go through. I keep what I want and send back any unwanted items, (recordings I already have, selections that are not up to standard, or things I simply do not want). [Mint or Sealed are the standard.] I receive or have received boxes from from the UK, most of Europe, Iceland, Russia (and CCCP), all (3) Chinas, South Korea, New Zealand, Australia, the Baltics, Turkey, Greece, Jamaica, North, South and Central America, and on and on.

I was very pleased to receive a wonderful little Pink Floyd promo poster "The New Projected Sound" (w/ train) for "SEE EMILY PLAY", printed in the UK -1967, from a Swedish shop. I had been looking for that little poster for >30 years. Along with it came an extraordinary find, a test pressing of the Pink Floyd's 1st single, "Arnold Layne"/"Candy and a Currant Bun" as (2) absolutely pristine 1-sided test pressings, one for each side of the 7" single, each in that iconic UK picture sleeve. The following week, an incredibly rare copy of "Apples and Oranges"/"Paint Box", pressed in the UK but in a Swedish only picture sleeve, also just like it was STILL 1967 and new. (The "top 10" listed on the reverse of the sleeve is certainly in stark contrast w/ what is listed today!). From this same source in California, a private dealer, came US promo White label copies of "Arnold Layne"/"Candy and a Currant Bun and "See Emily Play"/ "Scarecrow", each still sealed in their respective Pink Picture sleeves in Tower (Capitol) press packs. Wow. :D

This collection of music, ephemera and equipment spanning the earliest days of recordings, Sheet Music, equipment is affectionately referred to by me as "The Archive". I also receive gifts of promo materials and indie singles, and I must say how humbling it is for some new band that I never met or heard of will send their 1st 7" single, or CD-R and ask my opinion about their music and the packaging, artwork or even, most recently to "fix" their press release. Most of these people I have not yet met, and probably never will. I have always been rather a private person.

Although I still write and edit scientific monographs, or review a synthesis procedure and/or setup, and of course still send proposed syntheses to where I worked for 25 years - after all, this is the work of my lifetime; nevertheless it has become over the years only a means to an end - to help build and accumulate the most inclusive, eclectic Archive I can manage. Such is the love I have for music.

A few years ago I received a call from a fellow who had just purchased an old building which contained an abandoned music store shut up since 1970. The records were all long gone, but I found Beautiful, pristine copies of Sheet Music, HUNDREDS of POUNDS of sheet music dating from 1898. I bought sheet music by the pound. 1930 depression era sets of Teacher & student sheet music from wind sections, the strings, percussion, all wonderfully contained in a large folder w/ wonderful artwork. The artwork of these early works in particular (c. 1900 - 1940) is astounding. Anyone of a dozen dozens would look beautiful framed as art for the cover alone. And the "Contact Information" #3 Park Avenue; 101 1st Street, New York, N.Y.- (no phone of course). What a wonderful display of history was locked away there. A stack of original "The Sound of Music" movie posters and Broadway libretti. There was even a collection of original Classical Libretti dating back to 1856. Someone had done a very good job of preservation of such delicate ephemera.
Sometimes I buy collections in toto, sometimes 50% of the recordings are acceptable, sometimes only 10% but what a 10%! I find things that I never knew existed, and some are so good that I continue looking for that band, group, label, arranger, vocalist, lead guitar and so on. I placed an order with a private dealer in the former Yugoslavia a month ago. (Jugoton was the State Owned Record co. of the communist era). It is amazing how people hungered for music from a free people, in stark contrast to the cold, centralized propaganda with a melody they were forced to hear everyday at work, on the radio and in the street. These recordings were so precious in fact, groups of people would buy recordings, tape them, and store the disc like some Holy Relic. Apparently the fall of the Wall has changed the outlook for many, and these prized pieces are now ending up in my Archive. The quality of discs so well cared for gives them a provenence that is difficult to pin down; but the quality of what I receive from this gentlemen is always Mint; (probably in part because he knows I won't take anything less), but to find a French 10" disc, still sealed from Elvis Presley, 1958, - pristine- is fantastic for the collection. Finds such as that allow me to enjoy playing similar rare copies I already have knowing there is a "backup" copy on hand.

I know that I sometimes go overboard in protecting these discs, but their rarity and virtual impossibility to replace with examples of equal quality makes the use of the best equipment that I can afford, necessary. At least, that is my view. If I am going to all the trouble to obtain the cleanest copies available, I should be able to enjoy the maximum quality of sound they produce.

Thank you for commenting on the extra data I list, I do so for anyone wanting to zero in and find a copy of a listed aquisition, because a greater level of specificity and detail is necessary to do so.
If even MORE specificity is needed for a particular item, just let me know and I will post it.

I enjoy this website, and I pay attention to this section, since I learn about bands or groups that were unknown to me, and I make up lists and orders based upon selections I see here. It is obvious that this crowd has a great love of music.
Last edited by semisynthetic on Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paracelsus
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

This is interesting Semisynthetic. ^^^^

I know a guy who is probably one of the biggest collectors of psychedelic music. He owns far and away more than he could ever want to listen to. His collection is staggering and what he has in his collection is jaw dropping in its rarity (including hours upon hours of live shows taken direct from soundboards or video footage during the 60's). But, for him it is no longer about "the music". The game is now about owning whatever he can and hopefully access the rarest of the rare. Having seen his collection I would say he has no doubt achieved this.

For me, collecting is still all about listening to the music. Every single album, cd, cassette or rare video tape I own has been played or may continue to be played at any given time. I don't search for rare sealed LP's or acetates that would or should never be played. The still sealed copies do not interest me nor do the rare pressings. Acetates are very interesting but it would have to be some obscure psychedelic band or long lost, mythical album that was never released. But, one cannot play an acetate without degrading it and the money asked for such rarities is beyond my means so it is an unrealistic ambition. Instead, I fulfill my collecting fix by finding a record I may have been searching long for, opening its sleeve, looking at the art, reading its liner notes, dusting the record down, putting the needle on, sitting down and listening to the music.
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

Hello redcloud,

I believe that it is a given that you, and everyone else, should enjoy what you have in the manner you choose to do so.
I know I do. :D

Last edited by semisynthetic on Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Paracelsus
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

R.E.M. - Lifes Rich Pageant (25th Anniversary Remaster)
Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds - Murder Ballads (2011 Remaster)
The Twilight Sad - Fourteen Autumns and Fifteen Winters
Battles - Gloss Drop
Bruce Springsteen - Live at the Main Point, February 1975
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

I scored on some good records yesterday. Some I had on tape, others I picked up because the price was good. BUT...I also found an album I have been searching for over 10 years for. LP in NM condition/cover VG (bit of ring wear) but only $14! The hunt was long but the sense of joy and satisfaction I felt was well worth it! I enjoyed every minute of listening to it yesterday too. The last four records on my shopping list were all between $2-$4.

XIT-Silent Warrior (looked high and low for this companion album to their brilliant first record. Finally found it yesterday!). :D
J.K. & Co.-'Suddenly One Summer' (original issue Promo LP on White Whale Records. Rare psych folk LP. $24!).
Green Pajamas-'Ghost of Love' (Bomp! Records)
Steve Miller Band-'Brave New World' 1969
Steve Miller Band-'Your Saving Grace' 1969
ZZ Top-Tejas
Spooky Tooth-You Broke My Heart So I Busted Your Jaw
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Just arrived back from the UK w/loads of boo-tay!
Ry Cooder- Into The Purple Valley UK LP
David Bowie- Scary Monsters UK Orig LP
Teardrop Explodes- Everybody Wants To Shag The UK LP
Gnod- New one
The Lea Shores 3x10" box set
Tamborines CD
M Rev Deserters Songs Deluxe(promo)
Saints 4xCD box set(promo)
Northern Soul price guide
Rob Gretton Notebook coffee table book w/all sorts of Joy Division stuff.
Upside Down Creation DVD
Beta Band DVD
Dennis Wilson Documentary DVD