Last five albums/lp's you bought?

For anything else...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, spzretent, MODLAB, NightWash

a beautiful noise
Known user

Post by a beautiful noise »

speaking of the bunnymen, will sergant is on the new scream album, well, at least mani showed us a pic of him in the studio working on one of the tracks. unfortuantely we didn't get to hear it.

as for mani's dj set. i don't know, i'm getting a bit old to want to relive my younger days (notice i didn't say glory days, i'm still living those) so hearing tracks by the shaman, the farm, happy mondays, and the like didn't really do it for me. plus no special scream remixes.

he also played that damned killers tune, i know you all know which one i'm talking about.

the music didn't get interesting until whe got pack to the pad. but liek he said, it's america, these kids don't know who james carr is. thats a shame.

xxme
Fuzzhead
Known user

Post by Fuzzhead »

Back to the thread title. Last few albums I've spend my hard earned cash on are:

2 Stooges re-mastered releases. Wasn't gonna bother updating these, but so fucking glad I did now.

Echo & The Bunnymen - Ballyhoo

Richard Hell - Spurts

The Birthday Party - Hits

Johnny Thunders & Wayne Kramer - Gang War

The Standells - Best Of
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Wilson Pickett ~ Hey Jude
Neil Young ~ Reactor
Otis Redding ~ Love Man
Solomon Burke ~ We're Almost Home
Supergrass ~ Sun Hits The Sky 7" (b/w a fucking awesome cover of Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others)
u_nderscore
Known user

Post by u_nderscore »

souljazz comp - '200% dynamite'
nick drake - 'made to love magic'
ace records - '30th birthday celebration'
devo - 'hot potatoes best of'
tiga - 'dj kicks'
duppyconquerer
Known user

Post by duppyconquerer »

Taskforce - music from the corner volume 4
wrong music - whatever!
king tubby and soul syndicate - freedom sonds in dub
various production - 4 ep's (worth the price for the covers alone :shock: )

they came just now from Boomkat, so i havn't heard any of them!
natty
Known user

Post by natty »

Duppy>
Did you go to last years Glade festival? THe wrong music day was fuckin' 'avin it. Particularly DJ Scotch Egg.
Meo
Known user

Post by Meo »

How was the Task Force new 'un Duppy?
duppyconquerer
Known user

Post by duppyconquerer »

No unfortunitely haven't made it to the Glade Festival yet, never seem to be around at the time. Some of my mates went last year, said it was proper sick! Deffinitely gonna go this year. Funny was just chattin about going the other day, the Glade stage at Glasto has long been my favourite place in the UK!Image

The Taskforce albums good, the production sounds lighter, fuller and overall more proffessional, and the flows are as tight as ever, there's more than a couple of tunes that command a rewind.They sound alot happier these days, but a few tracks are ruined by their 'life of crime is hard blud' braggings, and the attempts at sounding deep are always daft!

Listen to the Breezeblock MC special i posted a link to on the other page, Ari-Up from the Slits and about 20 other artists from different areas of the scenes just tearing it up imrovised bashment style.
porkchop
Known user

Post by porkchop »

1 The Morning After Girls- Prelude
2. Joy Zipper- American Whip
3. The Quarter After- s/t
4. Essential Johnny Cash
5. Lady & Bird (keren ann side prodject)
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I nabbed these for a mere $20 yesterday:

Eddie Cochran ~ Singin' To My Baby
Buddy Holly ~ A Rock & Roll Collection (2 LPs)
Roy Orbison ~ There Is Only One
Roy Orbison ~ The Very Best Of
John Prine ~ Common Sense
Bobby Womack ~ B.W. Goes C and W
rameses
Known user

Post by rameses »

Dead easy :

Trio with Interludes
Evan Parker with Birds
Mark Sanders – Swallow Chase
Coxon/Prevost/Wales - Acoustic Trio
John Tchicai with Strings

All from the Pharmacy.

I'd intended buying them eventually anyway, but after hearing Guitarloops and with free postage I couldn't resist.
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

1)brian eno-here come the warm jets. what a great record.
2)the cicadelic 60's vol 2.-never existed. little-known 60's psych "from texas to louisiana"
3)ustad bismillah khan and party-an All India Radio release. two raags and a dhun, played on the shehnai.

4)let it come down
:? :D :( :)
5)amazing grace
:) :(:D :(
been putting off getting these two records, but i'm glad to have them now. some truly great moments along with the not so great ones. oh baby is now one of my favorite spiritualized songs. but i also gained about 5 least favorites!
Starfish
Known user

Post by Starfish »

My first contribution to this thread, simply because I hardly ever buy new stuff.
But... this week in a rare double-whammy, I picked up the new(?) Mogwai CD/DVD "Mr Beast" and the new Stereolab album, Fab Four Suture, which was only 7.99.

I love the Mogwai one. They do that aching chord structure thing so well, with soothing piano touches. Like Godspeed at their most melodic. Haven't played the DVD yet.
Stereolab, I haven't touched for a couple of releases, mainly because they don't seem to progress that much. This album maintains that form. Nice Stereolab sound, but if you've already got 8 albums, you really don't need another one.

(NB: I was contemplating the recent Stereolab compliation "Oscillons from the Anti-Sun" and the record store bloke said it was mostly taken from their early vinyl stuff. So I told him I had all that on vinyl already and he went: "Stereolab vinyl? Wow!" And not in the usual record store piss-taking way, either. So, is early Stereolab vinyl - 7", 10" and LP - worth anything, then?)
will this do?
Known user

Post by will this do? »

I've got quite a lot of the pre-Peng stuff on vinyls, too - and Transient Random Noise Bursts on gold vinyl... and Peng on tape :oops: ... it would be nice if it was worth something!

Last few albums I bought:

New Mudhoney one... I don't know why - I think it's ok.

A greatest hits thing by The Move - inspired by this month's Mojo magazine.

Funkadelic by Funkadelic... better than funkier than Maggotbrain... on first impression, not as funky as Free Yr Mind. Am I right? All I want's the funk!

Godzilla's Eatin Dust - Fumanchu... heavy maaan.

More light, by J Mascis - apparently features Kevin Sheilds somewhere within... I *think* I've detected where... (the bits where it suddenly goes *CCCCCcchhhhhhhwwwwwaaaaaaarrrrrrhhhhhhhHHHHH* for no readily apparrent reason.
Lipsmackin' thirstquenchin' acetastin' motivatin' goodbuzzin' cooltalkin'
highwalkin' fastlivin' evergivin' self aggrandizin' willthisdo?
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Early Stereolab vinyl used to be, and still should be worth some decent cash. Ironic since they said they were really against collectors items in an early interview and went on to release limited editions of hand painted cds and singles, cds with a bit of clay, colored vinyl double lps and on and on.
Hypocrites. But I wish I still had all that stuff :cry:
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
duppyconquerer
Known user

Post by duppyconquerer »

*Tribute to Lennon and McCartney - Klaus Wunderlich. 50p in a charity shop few days ago, you haven't lived until you've heard Germany's premier ageing organ maestro distill pop hits of yesteryear into intermission muzak.

and earlier today:
*King Tubby meets The Aggrovators at Dub Station.
*Freedom Sounds - Various Artists/Coxsone Dodd.
*Kingston Allstars meet Downtown at King Tubbys 1972-1975.
*Skanking with The Upsetter (rare dubs 1971-1974). - Lee Perry.
all on sexy black vinyl to lift me from the middweek slump.Image
"I may flake out tonight if I cannot get my way"
slim
Known user

Post by slim »

Starfish wrote: (NB: I was contemplating the recent Stereolab compliation "Oscillons from the Anti-Sun" and the record store bloke said it was mostly taken from their early vinyl stuff. So I told him I had all that on vinyl already and he went: "Stereolab vinyl? Wow!" And not in the usual record store piss-taking way, either. So, is early Stereolab vinyl - 7", 10" and LP - worth anything, then?)
It depends on what you'd call "early". It's made up of all the EP and single tracks from Jenny Ondioline onwards, plus a DVD. I've seen it for £10 which ain't too bad.
will this do?
Known user

Post by will this do? »

... also - aren't there already LOADSA 'early' stereolab compilations... Aluminium Tunes springs readily to mind if you're just talking 'early', and Switched On if you really mean E-A-R-L-Y...
will this do?
Known user

Post by will this do? »

spzretent wrote: limited editions ...
Hypocrites. :cry:

I was gonna say - a lot of that stuff is rare because they only sold like 100 copies worldwide - not because it was 'limited edition'... but I guess I wasn't really thinking of your handpainted-sleeve-type-stuff.
a beautiful noise
Known user

i found that box set for $14 bucks a few months back. it's didn't reach as far back as i prefer (my favourite 'lab album being peng!). but overall it's really nice packaging and the dvd is pretty good. the first edition run of the box sets came with a bunch of stickers and postcards.

for which i bartered with a friend for his day-glo spiritualized sticker. though i think he got the better end of the deal, my spiritualized sticker was on paper :cry:

xx
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

Original Sins "Radio Friendly" which includes the "Turn You On" vinyl-only release from 1995, which i already own. (hand-screenprinted sleeve)

Original Sins "Live at WFMU" 2005 in-studio gig CDR - directly from JT, for a fiver (that's dollars, not euros or pounds)

http://www.wfmu.org

shoppe + sounds samples (empethrees) here:
http://www.brotherjt.com/YeOldShoppe.cfm

can't recommend him enough.
purespace
Known user

Post by purespace »

davedecay wrote:Original Sins "Radio Friendly" which includes the "Turn You On" vinyl-only release from 1995, which i already own. (hand-screenprinted sleeve)

Original Sins "Live at WFMU" 2005 in-studio gig CDR - directly from JT, for a fiver (that's dollars, not euros or pounds)

http://www.wfmu.org

shoppe + sounds samples (empethrees) here:
http://www.brotherjt.com/YeOldShoppe.cfm

can't recommend him enough.
Dave - this has to be the same Brother JT 3 who put out a cd titled Spirituals, yes? I picked that cd up several years ago and really dig his sound. I'll definately have to jump back in and explore further. Thanks.
I think I feel it coming on
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

yes, the same JT from JT3/Spirituals.

http://birdmanrecords.com/brotherjt.html

"Combining the classic trappings of '60s psychedelic guitar rock with an eccentric spirituality, Brother JT records are deep, penetrable and seek to entertain. He has racked up a multitude of independent record labels with impeccable taste. His palate expands with each passing release.

Heavy pop, thick with guitars, thumping drums and stoned, tremulous melodies takes the listener on a trip through the complex patterns and designs that are unique to the mind of JT. From stretched-out zoner wail to agile, psychedelic strum, his body of work is singular, odd, outstandand and unimpeachable. It's a pretty tall order to name a contemporaty artist with enough panacee to carry on the legacy of wercked pop and what writer Byron Coley would call "Blieb Alien rock" left behind by the likes of Syd Barrett, Roky Erickson, Skip Spence and sandbox-era Brian Wilson, but Brother JT is the only name worthy tostand alongside."

honestly, i'd put him up alongside Sonic, tis a shame not as many have heard of him.
Fuzzhead
Known user

Post by Fuzzhead »

Get Yer Ya Ya's Out! - The Rolling Stones

Home Improvement For Condemned Buildings - Freelovebabies

Forever Breathes The Lonely World - Felt

Bravery, Repetition & Noise - Brian Jonestown Massacre

The Original Sound Of Sheffield 78-82 - Cabaret Voltaire

ps - must learn to spell 'repetition' correctly the first time.

Mark E Smith would not be amused.
Meo
Known user

Post by Meo »

Coxon, Wales, Provost - Acoustic Trio
Omni - Acid Casuals
Amassed - Spring Heel Jack
Take Me To The Other Side - Mercury Rev
Coles Corner - Richard Hawley (For the Missus, honest!)

Enjoying all these at the mo, not too sure what to make of the Mercury Rev yet which I seem to have missed first time round, Omni's great though.....
Meo
Known user

Post by Meo »

Ooops forgot to mention the Freelovebabies new one Home Improvement for Abandoned Buildings and first one Written in Sand which I'm absolutely LOVING.. best thing this year so far without a doubt (In my mind!!)

Will is also a really nice bloke to deal with so come on peoples get out there and get yourself some copies!! here you go, Wills site, check it out:

http://freelove.moonfruit.com/

Enjoy!
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

Its a great album. Worth buying for the the first track alone. Which judging by the other on your list I have a feeling you'll like. Theres a bit in the middle of that track where everything seems to explode, its the stuff dreams are made of.

the rest of it is great too, reminds me a little bit of Screamadelica, with a little bit of gospel in there. (not too sure about the second track though).

enjoy!
Meo
Known user

Post by Meo »

Yeah the second one did throw me a little, total cock rock still it seems the rest of it's worth sticking with from my first feew listens - cheers si!
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

simonkeeping wrote:
Its a great album. Worth buying for the the first track alone. Which judging by the other on your list I have a feeling you'll like. Theres a bit in the middle of that track where everything seems to explode, its the stuff dreams are made of.

the rest of it is great too, reminds me a little bit of Screamadelica, with a little bit of gospel in there. (not too sure about the second track though).

enjoy!
you guys mean See You On The Other Side, right?
Meo
Known user

Post by Meo »

Hahaha whoops!

Cheers Mr Decay I do indeed mean See you on the Other Side, got Spacemen on the brain......
warmgun.
Known user

Post by warmgun. »

See You On The Other Side is indeed fantastic!

I always saw Young Man's Stride as more of an attempt at Sonic Youth noisiness and a return to their own chaotic roots... either way, I think the album is pretty flawless.

As for recent purchases:

The Ballad of Broken Seas - Mark Lanegan and Isobell Campbell
Stereolab - Fab Four Suture
J. Spaceman - Guitar Loops
Belle and Sebastion - The Life Pursuit
Richard Ashcroft - Keys to the World

With the exception of the first one (probably due to the novelty factor!), not a single one of these has held my attention for more than the odd, passing listen... kinda sad because all are from well established artists.

Hmmm, I think I have to stop playing it safe when I go record shopping!
eeee22
Known user

Post by eeee22 »

teenage fanclub - bandwagonesque
- havn't found anything in this yet, so far i much prefer songs from northern britain

mercury rev - yerself is steam
- this one i think is excellent and im glad i forked up the extra cash it cost me to get it

dinosaur jr - ear bleeding country
- recently saw them in concert and thought it was probably the best show i've seen but i was also sober so i remembered it the next morning , also i had no proper albums by them

john frusciante - shadows collide with people
- got this from a friend , havn't spent too much time on it but i really enjoy the pure noise no singing ones a bit

andrew bird - andrew bird and the mysterious production of eggs
- ive heard the first half and it makes me think it could be one of the rare complete albums from the indie scene

Rachel's - Systems / Layers
- went to sleep to this the first couple nights i had it, it reminds me of the movie Waking Life

Islands - return to the sea
- pretty good so far , i havnt listened to this properly either but i like the first track at least

and about 10 other albums ive got in the last 2 weeks
tasty stuff
I'm against picketing, but I don't know how to show it.
anorthernsoul
Known user

Post by anorthernsoul »

rrrrr ...
if you haven't got 'again' (or 'did you ever', same lp, white cover ...) by lee and nancy then go and buy it. it's amazing. i really can't understand isobel campbell being so indebted to everyone that she just has to imitate their records ...
duppyconquerer
Known user

Post by duppyconquerer »

......This week on our identity parade we have......

1. The Arctic Monkeys - It takes a Nation of Millions to Hold us Back

2. (the) Franz Ferdinand - This Nations Saving Grace

3. The Liberteens - One Nation Under a Groove

4. The White Stripes - Daydream Nation

5. The Kaiser Cheifs - The Mighty Zulu Nation (compilation)

......thank you, i've been your host DuppyConquerer.....
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

new/full price at the shop:

CD: Eno/Byrne "My Life In The Bush Of Ghosts" 2006 remaster. even more amazing than before!

used at the shop:

CD: Ramones "Road To Ruin" Rhino/Warners remaster w/5 extra tracks

mail order via fleaBay:

CD: Brother JT "Come On Down" (yeah, i'm on a JT roll)
LP: Inca Babies "Rumble"
EP: Inca Babies "Big Jugular"
g.spaceman
Known user

Post by g.spaceman »

BJM - Methodrone
Jam - 'Live Jam'
Jam - Setting Sons
Jam - Sound Affects
Belle & Sebastian - Fans Only
You know I've been thinking about not coming down...
a beautiful noise
Known user

hey g.spaceman,

how is that 'fans only' release from b&s??

thanks
duppyconquerer
Known user

Post by duppyconquerer »

last few were:

* Cyantific - Ghetto Blaster (uplifting, school-stradeling dnb vibes)

* Birthday Party - Junk Yard (had it on tape for years, then cd, but couldn't resist the pull of the sexy black vinyl...)

* Baba Zula - Duble Oryantal (absolutely incredible Turkish psyche folk dub, with The Mad Proffessor at the controls, feat. Sly n Robbie)

* Merry Pranksters - The Acid Test vol 1 (obviously essential, this issue is the best sound after years of only poorer quality available)

* Spiritualized - Friendly Fire (what can I say, I listened twice before sleep. Dreamt Lazer Guided Melodies, woke up with it still buzzin round my brain...best sleep in weeks :wink: )

:mrgreen:
Last edited by duppyconquerer on Thu Apr 20, 2006 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
g.spaceman
Known user

Post by g.spaceman »

a beautiful noise wrote:hey g.spaceman,

how is that 'fans only' release from b&s??

thanks

Really good mix of biography and tunes -worth checking out, or at least dl'ing
You know I've been thinking about not coming down...
Fuzzhead
Known user

Post by Fuzzhead »

Mr D, I have Junk Yard on vinyl too. Intense but essential.
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

In no particular order:

SPZ - friendly fire (haven't rec'd yet)
Beth Orton - Comfort of Strangers
Hard-Fi - Stars of CCTV (brilliant) !
Pan American - Quiet City
Pan American - The River Made No Sound (minimalism at it's best) !
Francois Hardy - Best Of
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Spiritualized ~ Friendly Fire (also have not yet received)
The Auteurs ~ How I Learned To Love The Bootboys (vinyl)
Gram Parsons ~ GP (180 gram vinyl reissue)
Ike & Tina Turner ~ River Deep, Mountain High (original vinyl!)
Spring ~ Spring (I mentioned this already in another thread, though)
sniff_the_glue
New user

Post by sniff_the_glue »

is that a new auters album?any good?
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

warmgun. wrote:See You On The Other Side is indeed fantastic!

I always saw Young Man's Stride as more of an attempt at Sonic Youth noisiness and a return to their own chaotic roots... either way, I think the album is pretty flawless.

As for recent purchases:

Stereolab - Fab Four Suture
J. Spaceman - Guitar Loops
Belle and Sebastion - The Life Pursuit
Richard Ashcroft - Keys to the World

With the exception of the first one (probably due to the novelty factor!), not a single one of these has held my attention for more than the odd, passing listen... kinda sad because all are from well established artists.

Hmmm, I think I have to stop playing it safe when I go record shopping!
That new B&S is fantastic! Don't give up on it. Love that album. The new Ashcroft sucks, though.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

sniff_the_glue wrote:is that a new auters album?any good?
I'm a pretty big Auteurs fan and generally like almost everything they ever put out. Maybe I'm not the one to ask, but I think Bootboys really good. It's not new, though ... came out in 1999 (their last release to date). However, if you don't have After Murder Park, go get that one immediately. Everyone should own that album.

I hear Luke Haines has a new one out this year called "Off My Rocker At The Art School Bop." Should be interesting. Can't find a damn release date anywhere, though.
feetsies
Known user

Post by feetsies »

the new flaming lips
the new built to spill
the new liars
the new mcklusky (well, kinda, it's like a best of sorta thing, or a reissue, I haven't done my research)
autolux - future perfect, out in 2005 but it's brilliant. Very reminiscent of the sp3 minimalism but with a modern yet dirty shoegazey sound
I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself.
A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.
-D. H. Lawrence
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

* Friendly Fire & Home Improvements (off of Will, hopefully on their way)

* Nick Cave's "The Good Son" & "Abattoir Blues/Lyre of Orpheus" (recommend by the chaps on this board)

* Grandaddy's "Sophtware Slump", "Sumday" & "Broken Down Comforter Collection" (off of E-Bay for a grand total of £9!)

* "Fucked Up Inside" (finally secured on E-Bay yesterday)

* "Refractions" by Spectrum (as recommended by a certain Mr Boom)
warmgun.
Known user

Post by warmgun. »

That new B&S is fantastic! Don't give up on it. Love that album. The new Ashcroft sucks, though.
Yeah, in all fairness, I haven't really given it much of a chance... B&S that is... very little chance of the Aschcroft redeeming itself with repeated listens though, although the Music Is Power song is alright...
However, if you don't have After Murder Park, go get that one immediately. Everyone should own that album.
Agreed... it's been a long while since I've heard it, but it's pretty great. I like the Badder Meinhoff one too!

Other recent purchases:

Feist - Open Season (Remixes and Collabs)
Concretes - In Colour
Flaming Lips - AWWTM

All of these are very good in their own ways... although I still seem to be playing it a little safe at the record store. Oh yeah, someone recommended a Lee Hazlewood/Nancy Sinatra album a page or two back when I mentioned liking the new Isobel Campbell - I'll grab that soon! Thanks!
veiko
Known user

Post by veiko »

i'm getting it hard to dive into the latest The Lilys album - any hugs about that?
:roll:
yet another new release by AFX called "Chosen Lords" has not kicked into my head too. can't get younger though... taking time off just taking it off, so... any shakes where i'm wrong?
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

warmgun wrote: although the Music Is Power song is alright...
not its not! when they play it on radio two it makes everything else sound great. Give me a fucking Robbie Williams track over his recent stuff. :evil:
duppyconquerer
Known user

Post by duppyconquerer »

veiko wrote:i'm getting it hard to dive into the latest The Lilys album - any hugs about that?
:roll:
yet another new release by AFX called "Chosen Lords" has not kicked into my head too. can't get younger though... taking time off just taking it off, so... any shakes where i'm wrong?
I've got this as well. Did you read the press release for it Veiko, on the Rephlex site? It says 'how it was intended to be heard'...and 'into a coherent piece' refering to the fact it's culled from the 11 Analord Eps last year. In my RDJ obsessed opinion he missed out loads of the best tracks, some of the best being on Analord 1, 2, 6(!), 8, and 11. The 'Chosen Lords' grow on you, especially in the context of the cd (very subtle), but as a whole the complete series works best listened to in order...you've got to admit though that the first and last tracks on the cd are :shock: (they were #10 in the series). Apparently he has about 3 times as many more tunes for another series...and he also plays other Analord-type things out live.
Incidently the word 'Analord' comes from a Luke Vibert tune of the same name on his 'Lovers Acid' LP.
feetsies
Known user

Post by feetsies »

Are these the lilys from Pennsylvania?
I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself.
A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.
-D. H. Lawrence
purespace
Known user

Post by purespace »

clewsr wrote:
u_nderscore wrote:
DJ Sulkykid wrote:Dusty Springfield-Dusty In Memphis
yes! gorgeous album, i love it.
8)
Thats got me tempted. Made an order. Cheers.

Now to start with the Staple Singers. ABN - where do I start?
Uncloudy Day (pardon the interruption)
purespace
Known user

Post by purespace »

Chiaroscuro - Drop City
The Black Angels - The Black Angels
The Complete Blind Willie Johnson - Box Set
Sno Angel Like You - Howe Gelb
The Morning After Girls - Morning After Girls
Sweetheart of the Rodeo [Original recording reissued]
Live at the Harlem Square Club, 1963 - Sam Cooke

all based on recommendations from you folks here. many thanks and cheers!
a beautiful noise
Known user

purespace wrote:Chiaroscuro - Drop City
The Black Angels - The Black Angels
The Complete Blind Willie Johnson - Box Set
Sno Angel Like You - Howe Gelb
The Morning After Girls - Morning After Girls
Sweetheart of the Rodeo [Original recording reissued]
Live at the Harlem Square Club, 1963 - Sam Cooke

all based on recommendations from you folks here. many thanks and cheers!
that's a fantastic sam cooke album. "the" live album of live albums.

as for the staple singers, anything before the 1970's. i really despise the direction they went in after. they dropped the religious overtones and went with commercial pop. i would recommend "Great Day". it has 27 tracks including a version of dylan's "master of war" along with a moving version of "i can't help from cryin sometime".

at least after listening to it you can decide if it's something you can get into.
Fuzzhead
Known user

Post by Fuzzhead »

Spirit Of Eden - Talk Talk

Blue Jean Bop/Gene Vincent & His Blue Caps - Gene Vincent

Live At The Old Quarter - Townes Van Zandt

The Scream - Siouxsie & The Banshees

Quality Street - World Of Twist

Best of ? And The Mysterians.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Spirit of Eden is pretty amazing, but about half way through it I start to get extremely frustrated at the fact that the lyrics are completely incomprehensible.
purespace
Known user

Post by purespace »

Fuzzhead wrote:
Best of ? And The Mysterians.
They played a few reunion gigs here in my home town last year and were originally from here (Saginaw, Michigan)
purespace
Known user

Post by purespace »

Well, it was a sad and great day yesterday as I made the trek to Detroit to visit Neptune Records one last time before they close in 2 weeks. Here is the stash that I came home with:

CDs:
Third Eye Foundation - Lost Little Soul
The Byrds - Younger Than Yesterday (20 bit - Digital re-master w/bonus tracks)
Growing - The Sky's Run into the Sea
Monster Magnet - Spine of God re-mastered
Miles Davis - In A Silent Way
The Red Krayola - Blues, Hollers and Hellos
Alice Coltrane - Transcendence
Explosions In the Sky - How Strange, Innocence
Super Furry Animals - Phantom Power
Bardo Pond - On the Ellipse
Ride - Smile
Supergrass - Supergrass
Trembling Blue Stars - Alive to Every Smile
Stereolab - Oscillons from the Anti-Sun
Spacemen 3 - Recurring (Spaceage)
Spectrum - Soul Kiss (Glide Divine)

Vinyl:
Spiritualized - Amazing Grace 12"
Flying Saucer Attack - All About Dreams 7" from Ptolemaic Magazine
Flying Saucer Attack - Land Beyond the Sun 7"
Julian Cope - Try Try Try 4 track 7"
Mojave 3 - Any Day Will Be Fine 7"
Low - Canada/Fearless 7"

All were purchased well below retail value. Sad/happy day it was.
duppyconquerer
Known user

Post by duppyconquerer »

That's a great list!

What's Third Eye Foundation? sounds familiar... :?
purespace
Known user

Post by purespace »

The Third Eye Foundation cd I have is drum-n-bass with warm hypnotic looping, very atmospheric. Here's a good/quick bio read http://www.mergerecords.com/band.php?band_id=73

An example of the blow out prices at Neptune: The Flying Saucer Attack All About Dreams 7" was orignally priced at $24.00. I paid .50 cents. In fact, I paid .50 cents for each of those 7"s.
Broc
Known user

Post by Broc »

Loose Fur - Born again in the USA
Neil Young - Living with War
Flamimg Lips - At War with the Mystrics
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

Soul Kiss (Glide Divine) fetches a good amount in the used circles these days. how's that Monster Magnet remaster sound? one of my favorites, that one.

i scored a giant box of FREE vinyl on saturday at a community yard sale. not much of value or new, but some great filler for the collection, including some Queen, Richard Pryor live, a double live Kinks, and a few others i can't think of right now. the rest will be used in a store window display soon.
Hedspace
Known user

Post by Hedspace »

[quote="purespace"]The Third Eye Foundation cd I have is drum-n-bass with warm hypnotic looping, very atmospheric. Here's a good/quick bio read http://www.mergerecords.com/band.php?band_id=73

Just received a copy of the Little Lost Soul album.

bit more info if your intrested:
http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=am ... 27gjwr26im

fair play purespace
purespace
Known user

Post by purespace »

How do you like it Hedspace? I'm quite enjoying it.

Davedecay: the MM remaster is definately worht getting. Beefed up tracks, hiss removed, and MUCH more dynamic with superior clarity in sound.
Hedspace
Known user

Post by Hedspace »

soooperb
Spaced out apocalyptic bliss.

You Guys Kill Me has been ordered today and I will definitely check out the one you mentioned.

its early days, but I think I much prefer TAF to Amon Tobin.

excellent choice purespace

:)