davedecay
Known user

Re: Last five albums/lp's you bought?

Post by davedecay »

The Selecter - Too Much Pressure
Weather Report - Heavy Weather
Beach Boys / Carl And The Passions - Pet Sounds / So Tough
Kate Bush - Never For Ever, Lionheart
Monks - Black Monk Time (Light In The Attic reissue)
Monster Magnet - 25... Tab (reissue)
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Quite a bit to update here so its a bit more than the last 5 LP's I'm afraid:-

Black Bombaim & La La La Ressonance - S/T
Autumn Of Paekward - Iktsurapok
Xam - Tone Systems
Sula Bassana - Kosmonauts
Sonic Jesus - Neither Virtue or Anger
Electric Moon - Theory of Mind
Doug Tuttle - S/T
Lorelle Meets The Obsolete - Chambers (yellow with red splatter version)
Long Distance Poison - Human Program

Plus I got this little haul for my birthday in the week:-

Carlton Melton - Out To Sea
Myrrors/Cult of Dom Keller - Split 12" (white vinyl)
Cosmonauts - Persona Non Grata
Tess Parks & Anton Newcombe - I Declare Nothing
Black Mountain - S/T (reissue on grey marbled vinyl)
Cosmic Ground - Deadlock 12"
Wand - Golem
Carlton Melton/Empty Shapes - split 12"
Last edited by Shinesalight on Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY SHINESALIGHT :D
Last edited by semisynthetic on Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Everything is a Poison; it is the amount or degree that separates one Poison from another"
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Re: Last few recordings/ ephemera you bought?

Post by semisynthetic »

Just a few Items: Mainly OST and music that was USED within soundtracks, (and assorted).

HUSH HUSH SWEET CHARLOTTE; 12" LP (OST) 1965 mostly sung by Patty Page; USA; [SEALED] w/ Bette Davis/ Olivia de Haviland/ Joseph Cotton.

"THE LITTLE BOY that SANTA CLAUS FORGOT"; UK single sided Promo by VERA LYNN; (used in the film
"The Wall" [Pink Floyd]; from "Christmas With ........"

TOYS IN THE ATTIC (OST) original USA 1963 pressing PROMO Screening Room Copy [SEALED]; w/ Yvette Mimieux on Jacket.

Q. LAZZURUS "Goodbye Horses"; all (3) Versions on a 12" disc. 1988; (used in "The Silence of the Lambs"). German WHITE VINYL PROMO [SEALED].

ROLLING STONES 7" 45; "Bitch" w/ "Brown Sugar" 1971; from A. WARHOL Collection PS (unplayed). FRANCE;
(I tried to get the lighting and settings right, but failed. The background is a Very pale blue; and so many other little details are lost by the lighting, unfortunately. This was the best I could do. Rarely have I seen such delicacy of color and tone on a 7" Pic Sleeve!; the color and detail simply could not be captured on my poor equipment). I tried again and managed to get a little better image; but it is still not as good as it might be.

MAMAS AND THE PAPAS 7" 45; "Monday Monday" w/ "California Dreaming" JAPANESE; w/ inserts 1967 from A. WARHOL Collection PS (unplayed). Like the Image from the Stones above, this sleeve has such delicate colors, light seems to just "wash" the color away. But I thought I would add it anyway; it is fairly obscure.

I LOVE YOU, ALICE B. TOKLAS, Film Premier Program Book AND (1) More Very Nice Full Size Movie Poster - Yugoslavia. "VOLEO SAM HIPI DEVOJKU"; filmski plakat američki film (Translates: "I Loved Hippie Girl").
Ubaci u listu želja
Broj aukcije: 36750721
Preostalo vreme: Završena!
Broj ponuda: 1 ponuda
Aktuelna ponuda: 199 din

SIX ORGANS of ADMITTANCE (Ben Chasney) - Plague Lounge - Wicker Image LP 1996 - Released conjointly on BOTH "New World of Sound" and "Holy Mountain" labels.
Attachments
MAMAS and the PAPAS California Dreamin'  w Monday Monday  Japanese from A. Warhol Coll. 67
MAMAS and the PAPAS California Dreamin' w Monday Monday Japanese from A. Warhol Coll. 67
MAMAS and the PAPAS California Dreamin w Monday Monday Japanase from A. Warhol Coll. 67 001 2 500.jpg (55.58 KiB) Viewed 10257 times
ROLLING STONES Brown Sugar w Bitch 1971 A.W. Collection FRANCE (not Germany)
ROLLING STONES Brown Sugar w Bitch 1971 A.W. Collection FRANCE (not Germany)
ROLLING STONES Brown Sugar w Bitch 1971 A.W. Collection Germany 001 500.jpg (48.54 KiB) Viewed 10384 times
TOYS in the ATTIC 1963 [sealed] OST - I looked for this sealed "Preview" copy for years.
TOYS in the ATTIC 1963 [sealed] OST - I looked for this sealed "Preview" copy for years.
TOYS in the ATTIC 1963 [sealed] OST 500.jpg (56.24 KiB) Viewed 10385 times
Last edited by semisynthetic on Sun Aug 16, 2015 10:46 pm, edited 4 times in total.
"Everything is a Poison; it is the amount or degree that separates one Poison from another"
Paracelsus
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

the Q. LAZZARUS is sometimes difficult to find at a low price.

if you want a cheap record that contains the Goodbye Horses song, buy Married to the Mob movie soundtrack.
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

Thank you, Dave, for the Info;
(of course, I was looking for this specific 12" EP, even this (new) copy seemed "reasonable" in price; and I liked the Idea of obtaining the (3) Versions of the piece on the originally released disc).

But I am certain you are correct that the Soundtrack you suggested would have also saved on shipping!

Nevertheless, it is good to have the best possible original pressings of tracks of interest whenever they can be found - for the Sound Quality alone - that is very important to me; Sound Quality is always paramount, w/ very few exceptions. Anything extra, like an exceptional Jacket, or some Promo inserts and so on, is a sort of "bonus".
Last edited by semisynthetic on Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

There is a Sampler - "Tower Underground", that has some fantastic Psychedelia and Music that is still fantastic. I have seen this sampler available lately; because of the musical line up and fairly early release date of a relatively rare Promo Only LP, this recording has become a bit pricey. I bought my first copy [sealed] in 1978. The last [sealed] copy was significantly more but still worth it. Jake Holmes, Kim Fowley, Pink Floyd, Chocolate Watchband and Them are on this late 1968 Sampler that I highly recommend. The best LP image I have handy is not very good, but I placed a B&W Reverse a little further below.

With the 2 latest additions by Kim Fowley, I am very happy to have obtained the first (3) LPs sealed; the little "extra" cost was worth it to listen to these classic recordings like new. It isn't always possible, but I will certainly enjoy it! The pressings, first LP on the Tower label, and the next 2, on Imperial.

KIM FOWLEY "Outrageous" 1968; 2nd LP; on Imperial USA [sealed] Gate Fold Jacket; original release.
KIM FOWLEY "It's Good to have Fun" 1968 - released after "Outrageous"; Imperial USA [sealed] original release.
CANDY - Preview Film Program; 1968 - a "who's who" of this Era in Hollywood; (a Fantastic Soundtrack)! (I added the 7" 45 single of "Candy"; it is such a very nice Japanese example from 1968; Inserts, and a very HEAVY Pressing).
I LOVE YOU ALICE B. Toklas - Preview Film Program; 1968; 2X Large Poster; via Serbia, once part of (the former) Yugoslavia. (Translates to "I Loved Hippie Girl").

And a Selection of 78rpm Recordings on RCA, Bluebird, and BRUNSWICK labels. 1906 - 1949; mainly from the USA & UK. The grading scale is different for 78's; but I still find the SOURCE more important. A few are still "sealed", never removed from their perforated sleeves. Towards the end of the 78 era as the dominant media, the disc was placed in a sealed plastic sleeve that was place inside the usually heavy Paper or Wax-Paper like sleeve; any Artwork (Usually) came last.
Attachments
CANDY 7" 45rpm Japanese Pressing; Inserts and a very Heavy Pressing; Nice Artwork.
CANDY 7" 45rpm Japanese Pressing; Inserts and a very Heavy Pressing; Nice Artwork.
CANDY.jpg (100.17 KiB) Viewed 10265 times
CANDY - Preview film Program 1968 entitled GOOD GRIEF ITS CANDY; excerpt from Cover
CANDY - Preview film Program 1968 entitled GOOD GRIEF ITS CANDY; excerpt from Cover
CANDY film Program 1968 GOOD GRIEF ITS CANDY insert Preview Program.jpg (26.48 KiB) Viewed 10327 times
Last edited by semisynthetic on Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:29 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

This is the REVERSE of the "Tower Underground Sampler" I mentioned earlier; The Obverse is in color; the reverse shows the tracks on the LP. The Tower "Cut-Out PROMO Hole" is very obvious.
Attachments
TOWER UNDERGROUND SAMPLER 1968 reverse B&W
TOWER UNDERGROUND SAMPLER 1968 reverse B&W
TOWER UNDERGROUND SAMPLER 1968reverse B&W.jpg (97.28 KiB) Viewed 10326 times
Last edited by semisynthetic on Sun Aug 16, 2015 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Re: Last few items you bought?

Post by semisynthetic »

A Few Items:

"If He Hollers Let Him Go"; OST- Barbara McNair- on the Tower Label; USA - 1969 [Sealed] Film examining racism. Miss McNair was already an accomplished singer and involved in all manner of projects. Interesting piece.

THE WHO; "See Me, Feel Me"/ "Overture from Tommy" 7" Single STEREO Deutsche Grammophone GERMAN Pressing on Polydor, w/ another Beautiful, textured German Pic Sleeve. [NOS] Exceptional Quality Pressing. (spare)

THE WHO; "Long Live Rock"/ "Put the Money Down" STEREO JAPANESE Pressing on TRACK Label; 1974 (from "Odds and Sods" w/ Inserts and Pic Sleeve and a "Pan Am Airlines Ad Insert Sleeve). (spare)

FAR FROM THE MADDING CROWD; OST SOUNDTRACK LP USA MGM RECORDS S1E-11 ST [SEALED] ; Good Film, Great Soundtrack. (spare)

The Swallows ; (1895) Clifton Bingham & Frederic H. Cowan - No. 2 in G #4467 1st Issue SHEET MUSIC; I am trying to increase the amount of Sheet Music w/ the matching 78rpm discs that make a complete "set".

Rudy Vallee - Vintage B&W Portrait Photo - Singer - 1929; the photographer, Hal Phyfe, was famous in this era. Signed by Hal Phyfe. An "oversized" and very special Photo later used in a variety of Promotional pieces and Sheet Music. I placed this image in the "How Fortunately History may be Observed over Time w/ Music" MUSIC FORUM pg 4.

SHEET MUSIC - A variety of Sheet Music from 1892 - 1967, including "ALL YOU NEED IS LOVE" The Beatles, 1967 and "Visions of Paradise" Olga Jones Morgan, 1918 A wide assortment; many have Beautiful Artwork. The Older Sheet Music is often printed on higher quality paper and is much larger and was easier to read while playing; yet many pieces were NOT printed on the best paper and need care. These ephemeral pieces were meant to be just that. Some are very beautiful; but I lack the ability to capture the image unfortunately. I did ask the lady I obtained this and other pieces if she could send an image. I will add it later if one shows....(The "Shining City in the Sky" simply doesn't do the piece justice).

THE DEAD KENNEDYS; Nazi Punks Fuck Off (w/ Armband); [still SEALED] 7" 45 rpm; French Cherry Red (spare)

Ave Maria; Single Sided Gospel 12" 78rpm Test Pressing; dated 1914; the beginning of WWI; rare Italian Pressing.
Ave Maria; Single Sided Gospel 12" 78rpm Test Pressing; c. 1917 Rare "Pathe' " type, you must have a special "head" for the gramophone (which I do), I dare not even think of it as a "stylus" - each of these "heads" weighs just under 1 pound! The Pathe' Type registers the cutting of the disc very differently than an ordinary disc. (The Brunswick Player is equipped w/ both types of heads; each has a "glass" reasonator - the greatest thing going in 1917. I play it quite often, actually. PURE Analogue). The large, shaped wooden Horn hidden within the cabinet provides great sound. There is a drawback of sorts to using the Pathe', rather than using a Metallic Needle, Pathe' uses an oval sapphire; my stash of these is limited, and since this never really caught on, both Pathe' cut discs and sapphire needles are increasingly obscure.

5 Blank Cylinders for an Ediphone; I used several cylinders in the past to record extracts of Eno's "Before and After Science".
Attachments
"IF HE HOLLERS LET HIM GO" - SEALED Tower Label LP Barbara McNair 1969
"IF HE HOLLERS LET HIM GO" - SEALED Tower Label LP Barbara McNair 1969
IF HE HOLLERS LET HIM GO - SEALED Tower Label LP Barbara McNair 1969 600.jpg (63.66 KiB) Viewed 10276 times
THE WHO Long Live Rock w Put the Money Down TRACK Label 1974 Japanese w Pan Am Airlines Advert
THE WHO Long Live Rock w Put the Money Down TRACK Label 1974 Japanese w Pan Am Airlines Advert
THE WHO Long Live Rock w Put the Money Down TRACK Label 1974 Japanese w Pan Am Advert 001.jpg (82.03 KiB) Viewed 10276 times
THE WHO See Me Feel Me (Finale) w The Overture from Tommy - Germany
THE WHO See Me Feel Me (Finale) w The Overture from Tommy - Germany
THE WHO See Me Feel Me (Finale) w The Overture from Tommy - Germany orig 001.jpg (70.78 KiB) Viewed 10276 times
Last edited by semisynthetic on Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:07 am, edited 4 times in total.
Paracelsus
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Telstar Ponies - In The Space Of A Few Minutes (Ltd LP + 7")
Tell Tale Hearts - The Eight Till Late (12")
Carlton Melton - Out To See (Ltd LP + CD + poster)
Hills - Frid (Ltd LP + poster)
Shouting Thomas Torment/Los Tentakills Split EP (7")
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

I am Kurious Oranj LP :mrgreen:
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

I'm just back from 6 weeks away. I collected the following today:

Tame Impala - Currents (it is utter shite)
Electric Moon - Theory of Mind
Electric Moon - Cellar Space Live Overdose
Sula Bassana - Live at Roadburn Festival 2014
The Telescopes - Hidden Fields
Carlton Melton - Out to Sea (I bought the download from Bandcamp on release)

Big box of second hand LPs too! :D

There is also six weeks of backlog to come from the Post Office.

The Electric Moon and Sula Bassana LPs are superb.
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

A few Items:

I do watch this Thread carefully; and when I see new releases or new items that appeal to me, I add them to the list, but since they are listed on the thread already, I don't usually mention them again here; but I DO Appreciate people sharing what they have found and enjoy, because I too enjoy many things that had be unknown to me. I wish more people could add images from time to time - Art Work is half the fun sometimes, be it LP or singles! Plus, images may be more easily remembered compared to titles alone. I used the images I was sent.

THE IPCRESS FILE; OST; LP; USA; Music by John Barry; DECCA; MONO [sealed] c. 1962 Michael Caine Film

HARPERS BIZARRE #4; LP, USA 1969 WARNER BROS. Label [sealed] STEREO
This LP is Great; and musically, not considering OSTs, is likely my favorite of this little list.

THE VENTURES "The Fabulous Ventures" DOLTON LP [sealed] MONO 5th LP

AMBROSE & HIS ORCHESTRA w/ Vera Lynn ; LP; DECCA Label UK IMPORT [sealed] 1981 MONO

Needle Tin ; Phonograph Victrola Gramophone -- Columbia 200 Deluxe Tone "Use Needles Once Only"
3 TYPES OF (1000 ea.) GRAMOPHONE NEEDLES; NEW; from the UK via Norway
(6) N- Graded 78rpm discs ; from 1921-1932
(3) EXC RCA Scroll 10" Sleeves (spare)

SHEET MUSIC (from 1892 - 1937); to "match" 78rpm discs I already have; the older ones are usually larger; and there are several, in particular, that I wish I could photograph well; they are so very Beautiful; I can understand why some people use these as "artwork" for display only; but many were not printed on the best paper, and these, unless matted well, may be easily damaged, or likewise damaged by too much Light. I keep (most) of them laid flat, in special drawers made for such ephemeral stuff.
Attachments
COLUMBIA DELUXE NEEDLES box of 200 Medium USE EACH NEEDLE ONCE Magic Notes
COLUMBIA DELUXE NEEDLES box of 200 Medium USE EACH NEEDLE ONCE Magic Notes
COLUMBIA DELUXE NEEDLES box of 200 Medium USE EACH NEEDLE ONCE Magic Notes.jpg (18.18 KiB) Viewed 10588 times
THE VENTURES _The Fabulous Ventures_ 5th LP Original on Dolton Label SEALED
THE VENTURES _The Fabulous Ventures_ 5th LP Original on Dolton Label SEALED
THE VENTURES _The Fabulous Ventures_ 5th LP Original on Dolton Label SEALED 500.jpg (59.43 KiB) Viewed 10588 times
IPCRESS FILE OST Decca Label SEALED LP
IPCRESS FILE OST Decca Label SEALED LP
IPCRESS FILE OST Decca Label SEALED LP 500.jpg (44.66 KiB) Viewed 10588 times
Last edited by semisynthetic on Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
Paracelsus
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

AFX - Orphaned Deejay Selek 2006-08
Panda Bear - Crosswords EP
Dr. Dre - Compton
N.W.A. - Straight Outta Compton
Kendrick Lamar - Good Kid, m.A.A.d. City
Jenny Hval - Innocence Is Kinky
Jenny Hval - Viscera
Jenny Hval & Susanna - Meshes of Voice
runaway
Known user

Post by runaway »

A sampling from our semi-annual Tower Records Tokyo haul. Also got some Low (w/ bonus tracks) and Mogwai (w/ bonus disc)-

semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

It is very good to see more such nice images; the variance of CD OBI tell much about the disc contained within.

I am always glad to see images, thank you to all who share them.
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

The Beatles had an early hit, (1962) with "Love me Do" and "P.S. I Love You" on a little 7" 45rpm Parlophone disc; yet EARLIER, (by about Two Generations), was this STRANGE pairing; "P.S. I Love You" and of course "Strange", on a Victor 78rpm 10" shellac disc by Rudy Valle'e. This disc is quite nice, and the (correct) Victor Scroll Sleeve was sent along, packaged separately. (I used the images I was sent). This is "Fox Trot Psych". :D
Attachments
RUDY VALLEE_RCA 24723 B__ "the P.S. I LOVE YOU side"__78rpm_E+
RUDY VALLEE_RCA 24723 B__ "the P.S. I LOVE YOU side"__78rpm_E+
RUDY VALLEE_P.S. I Love You_78rpm_E+ 500.jpg (31.85 KiB) Viewed 10485 times
RUDY VALLEE RCA 24723 A__ "the STRANGE side"__ 78rpm_E+
RUDY VALLEE RCA 24723 A__ "the STRANGE side"__ 78rpm_E+
RUDY VALLEE RCA 24723_PS I LOVE YOU w STRANGE E+ 500.jpg (29.62 KiB) Viewed 10485 times
Last edited by semisynthetic on Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Paracelsus
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

a few of my recent pickups:

semisynthetic
Known user

Re: Last five or so items you bought?

Post by semisynthetic »

1). RUDY VALLEE "Life Is Just a Bowl of Cherries" / "This is the Missus" 1931 Victor Scroll Label N-; a happy song first released at the beginning of the Great Depression.

****I erred when I hurriedly placed the wrong version below. I have since listened to the disc, and realized something was very wrong - for THIS DISC (shown) is from "The Scandals of 1931"; there are many versions of just about everything Rudy Vale'e did; "Live", comedic, different lengths and lyrics; so I added the Correct music to match the label shown for THIS particular disc; I left the other version.

2). RUDY VALLEE "As Time go By" 1931 Victor Scroll Label. E+; This is the Original release from 1931, which differs from the 1943 release the public wanted after "Casablanca" - which is actually a creation using (2) different takes from (2) versions edited together; there was a recording ban in the mid 1940', so the latter 1943 release was "created" from other existing materials. Mr. Valle'e was a very prolific musician, (and so popular in his time) that what we might consider as "Outtakes" were often released in multiple forms along with a "regular take; one example is with "The Drunkard's Song", for example, where Vale'e cannot stop laughing in a take was released almost simultaneously with a version that he had "controlled" himself more; the former version is referred to as the "Laughing Version" on the Victor label. The "Laughing Version" was apparently, going by sales, more popular than the version lacking uncontrolled laughter. In 1931, people likely needed desperately to have Laughter and at least some small Joy in those bleak years of want and uncertainty.

3). (7) additional 78rpm 10" recordings (N- to EE+ grading).

4). ALICE's ADVENTURES IN WONDERLAND"; OST LP; Peter Sellers; Peter Bull; Flora Robson; a "Who's Who" of British Actors in the very BEST Film Score of the myriad of "Wonderland" attempts. Very Silly; and very good; JOHN BARRY; 1972 [SEALED].

+
5). (33) Examples of Sheet Music from 1904 - 1949; some very beautiful or having excellent graphics.

(2) Versions of "Life is Just a Bowl of Cherries"; the bottom video correlates w/ the Label shown. Whoops.
Vale'e refers to a "Willie Howard", a long time Vaudeville comedic star and singer, part of a two man show; I have some of these 78's, and the impersonation is quite good. I do wish you could hear this "properly"; even a stereo hooked up to your computer is an improvement; it is remarkable just how much sound a good gramophone & disc can put out. Even on computer you can hear the echo of the hall the performance took place in; as always, the quality of the disc is key. Perhaps the sound that is almost Eerie, because it is SO "real", is a Christmas Set of Church Bells playing Holiday Music; the Pure Analogue vibrations created, vibrate the air of the Gramophone Horn, and vibrates the room itself into music that is remarkable, as are Organ pieces, when played from quality discs; the very house vibrates - and yet not a thing is "plugged into the wall"; it is most enjoyable.

......................."LIFE IS JUST A BOWL of CHERRIES" 1931
Attachments
RUDY VALLEE Life is Just A Bowl of Cherries _VICTOR 22783_ George White's Scandals circa 1931
RUDY VALLEE Life is Just A Bowl of Cherries _VICTOR 22783_ George White's Scandals circa 1931
RUDY VALLEE Life is Just A Bowl of Cherries _VICTOR 22783_ George White's Scandals circa 1931 500.jpg (39.91 KiB) Viewed 10417 times
RUDY VALLEE As Time Goes By_ 1931_22273-B VICTOR
RUDY VALLEE As Time Goes By_ 1931_22273-B VICTOR
RUDY VALLEE As Time Goes By_ 1931_22273-B VICTOR 500.jpg (30.69 KiB) Viewed 10417 times
Last edited by semisynthetic on Sun Oct 11, 2015 12:31 am, edited 4 times in total.
Paracelsus
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

New purchases recently

My Morning jacket-Waterfall double LP
Mark Lanegan new Houston Demos LP
Goat Its Time For Fun 7"
Yo La Tengo new one LP with tote Bag cassette cd etc
Flying Saucer Attack new LP
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

Junkie XL: Mad Max: Fury Road
Public Image Ltd.: 9
Talk Talk: It's My Life
Heartbreakers: LAMF
Cop Shoot Cop: White Noise
Pain Teens: Stimulation Festival
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

Goat - It's Time For Fun - mint green 7"
Destruction Unit - The Holy Ghost/The Church Of Jesus Christ - Japanese 7"
Chromatics - Kill For Love - magenta colour vinyl LP
King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard - I'm In Your Mind Fuzz - hot pink and bone swirl colour vinyl
Dirty Beaches - Hotel EP

Pre-orders - Destruction Unit - Negative Feedback Resistor (coloured vinyl), King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard - Paper Mache Dream Balloon (orange vinyl), John Grant - Grey Tickles, Black Pressure (orange/lavender vinyl)

(since buying a new turntable my vinyl purchases have increased drastically, much to my girlfriends amusement. Money saved on not drinking has found another outlet!)
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

We are in this together johnnyboy :)

Although I haven't manged the no drinking bit !
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Aquarian-Time wrote:We are in this together johnnyboy :)

You need to watch who you hang around with Dave, many of them are a poor influence on you.... :D
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

I was very pleased to obtain this "Eclection" 7" 45rpm Single from Germany (via Austria).
Attachments
ECLECTION  "MARK TIME" w/ "NEVERTHELESS" 1968 Germany
ECLECTION "MARK TIME" w/ "NEVERTHELESS" 1968 Germany
ECLECTION_MARK TIME w NEVERTHELESS 1968 Germany via Austria.jpg (59.31 KiB) Viewed 10307 times
Paracelsus
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

It's a good place to be, never knowing when another vinyl sized package is going to arrive on my desk at work. May need to slow down a bit, or at least start compiling a Christmas list.

I've not drunk since early April. Started off as a little experiment, gave myself a 100 day goal, now it's gone way past that and I've started to love the lack of hangovers and extra cash in my wallet. Highly recommend it. Went to my local Sat night, saw a band, mates DJ'd, had a laugh, spent £2.50.
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

johnnyboy wrote:

It's a good place to be, never knowing when another vinyl sized package is going to arrive on my desk at work. May need to slow down a bit, or at least start compiling a Christmas list.

I've not drunk since early April. Started off as a little experiment, gave myself a 100 day goal, now it's gone way past that and I've started to love the lack of hangovers and extra cash in my wallet. Highly recommend it. Went to my local Sat night, saw a band, mates DJ'd, had a laugh, spent £2.50.
I wish I had that will power! I think I like booze too much?

Mine are:

Suicide - second Lp
Spiritualized Ladies and Gentlemen -original vinyl pressing
Kim Fowley - Sunset Boulevard
Ty Rex - Ty Rex
King Gizzard And The Lizard Wizard - I'm In Your Mind Fuzz
http://www.soundcloud.com/haarlemriots
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

simonkeeping wrote:
johnnyboy wrote:

Mine are:

Suicide - second Lp
Ty Rex - Ty Rex

Does your copy skip? Every copy I bought over the years has skipped. I returned my original at least five times to the HMV in reading. they eventually told me to F--- Off for hassling them. :lol: It took me ages to find one that was OK.
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

simonkeeping wrote:
johnnyboy wrote:

Mine are:

Suicide - second Lp
Ty Rex - Ty Rex
Haha, I love booze too much as well, which could be the problem for me. Good to have a break from it to be honest, gives a new perspective on socialising and life in general.

As for those albums, I love the 2nd Suicide one, sometimes more than the classic debut.
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

Thighpaulsandra - The Golden Communion
Thighpaulsandra - The Lepore Extrusion
Thighpaulsandra - Double Vulgar
Thighpaulsandra - Double Vulgar II
Thighpaulsandra - Chamber Music
Thighpaulsandra - Rape Scene
Thighpaulsandra - Some Head EP
Iron Maiden - The Book Of Souls
Public Service Broadcasting - Inform-Educate-Entertain
Public Service Broadcasting - The War Room
Cornershop - Hold On It's Easy
Pure Phase Ensemble 2 - Live At Spacefest!
Pure Phase Ensemble 3 - Live At Spacefest!
Pure Phase Ensemble 4 - Live At Spacefest!

A much-needed music binge. After reading the Quietus' review of Thighpaulsandra's latest, followed by a very enjoyable revisist of "I, Thighpaulsandra", decided to splurge out. Very much enjoying the journey so far...
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

I'm not sure yet Olan, I've not had a chance to listen to it yet as I've been away. That's a worry though as I laid down a ridiculous sum of cash on that :?

You know what Johnnyboy I might give it a try! I guess once you get out of the habit its not too bad right? Yeah the second one from what I've read is them trying to be pop? Weird Its never been on my radar until recently.
http://www.soundcloud.com/haarlemriots
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

simonkeeping wrote:I'm not sure yet Olan, I've not had a chance to listen to it yet as I've been away. That's a worry though as I laid down a ridiculous sum of cash on that :?

You know what Johnnyboy I might give it a try! I guess once you get out of the habit its not too bad right? Yeah the second one from what I've read is them trying to be pop? Weird Its never been on my radar until recently.
Worth a go if you're pondering it. I'd been thinking about it for years, fed up with hangover blues, the downtime lasting days, spending too much money, but never felt brave enough to give it a go. Glad I have now. The funny things are noticing how boring some drunk people can be, or recognising a naff night for what it is, or knowing when to go home instead of staying on for more. Bit dull at times but if you're an outgoing social sort anyway then being sober is no problem. I miss some of the craziness but not the day(s) after. The bad thing is now I'm worried about having a drink as that will take me back to zero, haha, I'm a complicated chap.

Back to the music - that 2nd Suicide album is brilliant and influenced a generation of synth bands I reckon. Some of it is so menacing, some beautiful, some both together. Primal Scream covered Diamonds, Fur Coat, Champagne didn't they, which I liked for about 5 minutes, until it's Glitter Band stomp and Bobby whisper singing grew very tiring. The cover by Conrad Standish on the same 10" is far superior https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HV-zImUczs4
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

Charlatans-Upto Our Hips LP ( my fave of theirs)
Yo La Tengo - Summer Sun original uk double LP
Boo Radleys -Wake Up LP
Flying Saucer Attack-Distance original.LP
Neil Young-After The Gold Rush german LP pressing
A Box of Sugar- Sugar Box set
Black Angels-Passover LP reissue
Ryan Adams Live at Carenige Hall box set
My Morning Jacket- It Still Moves original Lp
Most of these replacing cd versions. Man this is expensive and i still blame Olan !
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Aquarian-Time wrote:Charlatans-Upto Our Hips LP ( my fave of theirs)
My Morning Jacket- It Still Moves original Lp
Man, both of those are on my record wants list. Cracking albums. Again, I have both on CD but would love to add them to my vinyl collection. Where did you end up bagging them Dave?
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

Mmj was discogs about 20 quid. Charlatans was Kingbee records in chorlton for a very reasonable 15 notes
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

Tuxedomoon - Desire
Ween - White Pepper
Ultravox - Slow Motion / Quiet Men / Hiroshima Mon Amour / Dislocation (2x7in)
The Suicide Commandos - Make A Record
Descendents - I Don't Want To Grow Up
Brian Eno - My Squelchy Life
Heartbreakers - L.A.M.F.
Sonic Youth - Bad Moon Rising
Joy Division - Peel Sessions
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

New one on Deep distance by Paroah Cromium Picture disc. looks awesome
Grant lee Buffalo-Mighty Joe Moon (original on Slash, not the nasty Plain reissue.
Sigur Ros Hvarf/Heim 2 LP
Low-Songs for a dead pilot 12"
Boards Of Canada-Geogaddi 3LP
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

OMD - The Best of. Never had this album.
Nordic Affect - (Self-Titled) - Classified as classical music, but very Sigur Ros like also from Iceland.
Beach House - Depressed Cherry - a band from Baltimore that I picked up on. A little between Cocteau Twins, MBV and a little Clientele. Cd sleeve covered in red felt.
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

This has been a very good month for finding music.
I have spent a great deal of time flat on my back; and so while recovering, I gleaned the finest examples that I could find of recordings from c.1900 to around the end of WWII. Many Blues, Jazz; some Bessie Smith and a wonderful variety; 83 such discs over the last month +/-. (I have not been able to clean them yet; but most will require very little attention). Plus the "Moderne" releases; many of which I have not yet received.

Below I share images of one of the two "Glass Heads" of my Brunswick Player of 1917, (also called "reproducers"), although this is the rather strangely oriented "Pathe' " Head, it is not discernible as such - for I left the area where the sapphire needle (or the Tungstyl or other steel needles for regular recordings on the "Normal" Head) out of the picture. This is the modern equivalent of the "stylus", without the needle showing. The "Glass" is in fact a very early, clear polymer that has properties more like glass in appearance than are most modern plastics.
The vibrations from the disc are carried up the metallic piece you see, and are greatly enhanced across all ranges by this "glass" reproducer vibrating down a funnel-shaped metallic tube into a carefully designed and constructed wooden horn. The "second" metallic strip is the reflection in the "glass" - and you will notice a single shadow.

There is an "adjustment" for Volume - a simple baffle that changes the amount of vibrations and air going into the horn - and it does exactly what it was designed for. All of this, along with the platten and speed control and 'automatic shutoff" are all hidden and contained in a Mahogany and Cherry wood Cabinet of a Chinese-like Architectural Design that was very popular at the time, and very pretty. Inside the cabinet are contained approx. 60 discs with an index on the inner door; (But since it had never been written on, I left it so, and placed a list over it of what discs were inside).
Inside the Gramophone, there is a delivery notice, a bill simply marked "PAID", a checklist with all the "extras", except for a key - for there is no lock. The winding crank is on the right hand side. (It really is very difficult to convey the sound; the music from the gramophone is Pure Analogue in every way, and has deep lows and incredible highs; it helps at least to have your computer connected to a mono/stereo set up with low end subwoofer; otherwise the "squeak" you hear is a poor reproduction of these discs, especially the earliest recordings available).

This Gramophone was delivered Nov. 11th, 1917; and I have often thought it was the gift of a soldier to his parents, or wife, or fiancé, or somehow connected to the USA entering WWI - and indeed, there was a little note on the very back upper shelf of 3 shelves, written by an American who had volunteered to fight along with the British and French, and purchased this for his "Dad, to listen to your records 'til I come Home - and we can SING them together", and it is signed.

There is a lot of History here; and I hope this Player will provide another 98 years of Musical Enjoyment and Entertainment; I had cleaned, oiled and overhauled the "motor" and [sealed springs] and such over 20 years ago; and except for a yearly "oiling" of the inner platten spindle mechanism, and always changing the needle, only ordinary care of the wood case is necessary. (Although I keep it covered). This wonderful old player was a gift from my Grandmother many years ago, as I have surely mentioned before.

I can still recall with Happiness (and Horror), her suggesting, as my latest and greatest set of modern Swiss Turntables were finally set in place on their granite stands, just a few years ago, "That I be sure to oil them" :D

I have shared some Pink Floyd images in the past on this SITE, and you may recall the band's 1st LP was the 1967 recording of "The Piper at the Gates of Dawn" - from the Book "The Wind in the Willows" - which happens to be the title of the recording whose label you see below (from 1934). The remaining image is that of the disc itself, which although my hands were a bit unsteady, I managed to photograph the disc, at least enough to show the "louder" portions of the piece, more so at the top of the image. There were so MANY titles of songs you would know; but not the same songs; it was fun to see Rolling Stones titles and others that were in fact, very different in sound and era; but were once very popular; I believe in time, that a great number of these old songs, when made available again, will be desirable - if only to compare and for study.
Some songs are just TOO GOOD to let disappear.

There was such Great Experimentation going on; and those early Blues 78's - would probably receive a "Parental Warning", if that is still done. It seems it is "Anything Goes" all over again.

Addendum - Sept. 25th, 2015:
- After listening to "The Wind in the Willows" (below), I am again reminded that Wonderful Surprises do await in these earlier recordings; I have been simply "reaching into several specially made padded wooden storage boxes", & bringing out, essentially at random, these 78 rpm shellacs; placed in new 10" 78 rpm sleeves, (and placed with their original 78 sleeves) in Protective re-sealable Plastics. I DID find an absolutely terrible copy of "Wind in the..." in YouTube, but this particular piece has many soft and nuanced sounds and lyrics that are simply lost in a wornout, & unacceptable copy. The title is listed in Spanish or Italian, (depending upon the disc's Country of Origin), below the English Title on the label; the use of "strange mixture" gives the song a little more Mystery.

What a SURPRISE SO MANY of these discs have had in store! It is true that the majority of say, Rudy Vallee discs are "predictable" - love songs from the past, or simple comedic stories - but the disc image
below was much more than I expected; although not quite "Psychedelia", it is an abstract, and for its time, an eerie, dreamlike and beautiful piece. The Bessie Smith discs from 1922 - 1926 I was lucky to find in such wonderfully preserved condition were not so much a surprise as they were a TREAT! It seems to never fail that these "Surprises and Treats" are almost always found in the most obscure of discs, which makes the searching worth it.
Attachments
Brunswick 1917 Pathe' GLASS HEAD (reproducer) for transferring and amplification of analogue signal from the grooves of the recording
Brunswick 1917 Pathe' GLASS HEAD (reproducer) for transferring and amplification of analogue signal from the grooves of the recording
Brunswick 1917 Pathe' GLASS HEAD for transferring and amplification of analogue signal 30 125 cc.jpg (181.55 KiB) Viewed 10433 times
RUDY VALLEE _The Wind in the Willows_ 1934 Victor Scroll Label
RUDY VALLEE _The Wind in the Willows_ 1934 Victor Scroll Label
RUDY VALLEE _The Wind in the Willows_ 1934 Victor Scroll 500cc.jpg (140.96 KiB) Viewed 10433 times
RUDY VALLEE _The Wind in the Willows_1934 showing a better Quality Disc
RUDY VALLEE _The Wind in the Willows_1934 showing a better Quality Disc
RUDY VALLEE _The Wind in the Willows_1934 Quality Disc 30cc.jpg (151.57 KiB) Viewed 10433 times
Last edited by semisynthetic on Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:35 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

There are quite a number of GREAT early JAZZ and BLUES in this last month or so of acquisitions; this 1919 Sheet Music is really nice; I wish I could display the entire item; the language sounds much more like a 1950's coffee house than I expected from 1919........It's like, JAZZBO, Man.
Attachments
Take Me to that Land of JAZZ 1919 JAZZBO MAN
Take Me to that Land of JAZZ 1919 JAZZBO MAN
Take Me to that Land of JAZZ 1919 JAZZBO MAN 50cc.jpg (127.06 KiB) Viewed 10433 times
Last edited by semisynthetic on Tue Sep 29, 2015 3:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paracelsus
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Bought in a proper Record Store (Probe in Liverpool)

Low: Ones and Sixes (Looser edition on barf inducing yellow vinyl)

From Dom Martin on Great Pop Supplement, Deep Distance or Polytechnic Youth:

LPs:
Cosmic Ground: 2
Pharoah Chromium: Chromosphere
Lesa & Ross
JG Wright: Sorcerer of Sound

EPs
The Cult of Free Love: Love is all there is

7 inch
Matt MV Valentine and the Golden Road: Before its gone

From Dave Cambridge on Cardinal Fuzz:
Dead Sea Apes: Spectral Domain
Vision Fortune: Night Jukes

The Psyche Fest starts tomorrow. The pop-up record shop there is always a wallet buster :D . Must haves will include Cardinal Fuzz's Stay Holy and pretty much anything that The Heads bring that I don't already own :roll: .
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

olan wrote: The Psyche Fest starts tomorrow. The pop-up record shop there is always a wallet buster :D . Must haves will include Cardinal Fuzz's Stay Holy and pretty much anything that The Heads bring that I don't already own :roll: .
Between you and The Cardinal I will have handed over £100 before I even get a pint :shock:
After that it's the Pzyk triple vinyl, Carlton Melton's latest and yep, anything by The Heads that I don't already have. I hope every band t-shirt is shit so I don't feel tempted to nab any!
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

sunray wrote:
olan wrote: The Psyche Fest starts tomorrow. The pop-up record shop there is always a wallet buster :D . Must haves will include Cardinal Fuzz's Stay Holy and pretty much anything that The Heads bring that I don't already own :roll: .
Between you and The Cardinal I will have handed over £100 before I even get a pint :shock:
After that it's the Pzyk triple vinyl, Carlton Melton's latest and yep, anything by The Heads that I don't already have. I hope every band t-shirt is shit so I don't feel tempted to nab any!
:D Great isn't it??
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

These 2 recordings are unusual for very different reasons; the Rudy Valle'e, in a "Blue Color Media" disc of:

"BROTHER CAN YOU SPARE A DIME", written in 1931, and appeared in the 1932 Musical "Americana"; the sort of unofficial USA Anthem of the Great Depression, with Vale'e only one of MANY artists to record the song, each with their own style and emphasis. Most of the Disc Labels you have seen posted here of Mr. Vale'e have been on Victor, of assorted eras, but originally, his works appeared on the "bargain" discs, (much like the Tower Label) was for Capitol in the USA; (and for Columbia, were Velvetone, Harmony, and several others); then "HIT of the WEEK", a short lived but very popular recording method which placed a laminate on Cardboard (for 15 cents), and often included in Newspapers - made in the beginning years of the depression, c. 1932.; Victor of course; then Columbia and others again, then Victor's "Bargain" label "Bluebird", until placed on the Premiere Victor Label again in 1937. The flip side is a Waltz, "I'll Never Have to Dream Again". Recording Grade: E+/E+ using a common 78 rpm scale.
This Blue Media Disc is a very early example (late 1932), of Valle'e on the Columbia Label, in that period when he left the Victor Label out of disputes concerning who had control over what musical pieces he performed; after a few years, it was Vale'e who would have control, (and ultimately appear on Victor's Premiere Label); I have his music on approximately 15 or so various labels, from the USA alone. Along with these are roughly as many more Labels (and Variants) from South America to The UK and Europe, and Beyond. A very popular and creative fellow who enjoyed a comeback in the 1960's, with early live Radio Broadcasts, and both old songs re-released, and new material; he died in 1986, while watching television with his last wife of 40 years; they were watching a celebration about the Statue of Liberty; his last words were "you know how I love a party".

And the Music:
-----------------------

The 2nd recording is an odd one; not a Test Pressing really, sort of an experiment on a very small scale; in early 1967.

"The WHO SELL OUT": both its Promo and Regular releases had the "commercials" interspersed within and between songs; THIS example, however, has (some) of the "commercials" on side 1, and the majority of songs on side 2; it is a very obscure example, placed in the same Jacket; but with a completely different matrix and Code Number on the disc and label. I obtained this from a dealer some time ago - a fellow I have purchased from for decades, who promised "an absolutely Mint PROMO ONLY"; thinking it was simply an exceptional example of an ordinary White Label or other Decca Promo; WHAT A VERY PLEASANT SURPRISE to find I was wrong! Before this arrived, I'd only read of this "experiment", which failed. This was intended, if it had been accepted, for DJs to "create alternative versions"; but this simply did not go over with the DJs or the public who heard what a few creative people had done to the LP. "Jefferson Airplane" had a similar experimental "Promo", and also as "Starship", with the song "We Built this City" years later, allowing the DJs to place "Their City" when playing the single - but this was later in time, when more so called "Tape" Discs were in use, rather than playing the recording directly; this method also allowed for more creative presentations than all those years earlier, when precise edits were not as easily possible for many stations. A "Tape Disc" was just a term for a quality cassette that was fashioned (somewhat) like an 8-Track.
Attachments
RUDY VALLEE Brother Can You Spare a Dime BLUE DISC Columbia Label_From Americana LTD
RUDY VALLEE Brother Can You Spare a Dime BLUE DISC Columbia Label_From Americana LTD
RUDY VALLEE Brother Can You Spare a Dime BLUE DISC Columbia Label_From Americana LTD.jpg (57.34 KiB) Viewed 10358 times
SIDE 1 The Who SELL OUT PRERELEASED NOT PROMO DIFFERENT song listings Titles and Order COMMERCIALS on side 1/2
SIDE 1 The Who SELL OUT PRERELEASED NOT PROMO DIFFERENT song listings Titles and Order COMMERCIALS on side 1/2
The Who SELL OUT PRERELEASED NOT PROMO DIFFERENT song listings Titles and Order COMMERCIALS on side 1 500 1 1967.jpg (71.44 KiB) Viewed 10358 times
SIDE 2 The Who SELL OUT PRERELEASED NOT PROMO DIFFERENT song listings Titles and Order COMMERCIALS on side 1/2
SIDE 2 The Who SELL OUT PRERELEASED NOT PROMO DIFFERENT song listings Titles and Order COMMERCIALS on side 1/2
The Who SELL OUT PRERELEASED NOT PROMO DIFFERENT song listings Titles and Order COMMERCIALS on side 1 Label side 2a 1967.jpg (57.02 KiB) Viewed 10358 times
Last edited by semisynthetic on Sat Oct 10, 2015 3:52 am, edited 6 times in total.
Paracelsus
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Sula Bassana - Live At Roadburn 2014,
Zone Six - Love Monster,
Carlton Melton - Out to Sea,
The Heads - Time In Space ( Liverpool version)
Minami Deutsch - s/t,
Michael Head And The Strands - The Magical World Of The Strands ( beautiful vinyl reissue),
Spectres/Lorelle Meets The Obsolete - Recordstore Day Is Dying EP
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

Pure Phase Ensemble - Live At Spacefest (still not come!)
richard hawley - hollow meadows
“You're not Dostoevsky,' said the citizeness

'Well, who knows, who knows,' he replied.

'Dostoevsky's dead,' said the citizeness, but somehow not very confidently.

'I protest!' Behemoth exclaimed hotly. 'Dostoevsky is immortal!”
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

niamhm wrote:Sula Bassana - Live At Roadburn 2014,
Zone Six - Love Monster,
:D Excellent stuff there! The Zone Six is still my #1 LP this year.
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

olan wrote:
niamhm wrote:Sula Bassana - Live At Roadburn 2014,
Zone Six - Love Monster,
:D Excellent stuff there! The Zone Six is still my #1 LP this year.
I agree, Excellent recordings; I too am a Zone Six "Love Monster" fan.
Paracelsus
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Latest batch of vinyl indulgence mainly via Cardinal Fuzz and Deep Distance:-

Dead Meadow - Howls From The Hills (reissue)
Blown Out - Planetary Engineering
Cosmic Ground - 2
The Cult of Fee Love/The Wrestler - Love Is All There Is/European Orange (split 10")
Dead Sea Apes - Spectral Domain
Minami Deutcsh = S/T
Cardinal Fuzz Presents - Stay Holy (Cardinal Fuzz Sonic Stage at Liverpool Psych Fest 12" compilation)
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Shinesalight wrote:Latest batch of vinyl indulgence mainly via Cardinal Fuzz and Deep Distance:-

Dead Meadow - Howls From The Hills (reissue)
Cosmic Ground - 2
The Cult of Fee Love/The Wrestler - Love Is All There Is/European Orange (split 10")
Dead Sea Apes - Spectral Domain
Minami Deutcsh = S/T
Cardinal Fuzz Presents - Stay Holy (Cardinal Fuzz Sonic Stage at Liverpool Psych Fest 12" compilation)

Any good?
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

The Blown Out album is great. If you enjoy Cosmic Dead, Carlton Melton, Black Bombaim, etc. then you'll enjoy it.

I always though Howls From The Hills was very under-rated and was much more of a grower than some of the other Dead Meadow albums but its got some great songs on it. Is the re-issue any different to the original track-wise?
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

nope exact same track list on Dead Meadow album, not my fave album by these guys by any means, but agreed its more of a grower

Blown out are new band to me, I may investigate (that is code for I will investigate :wink: )
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

PZYK Vol 1 (CD version)
Michael Head- Magical World of The Strands
Bill Fay- s/t
The Twilight Sad- Oran Mor sessions
Ride- Nowhere 25 (CD & DVD)
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Farbfelde: Eins
The Hanging Stars: The House on the Hill
Hills: Live at Daemonen's Port (2xLP on Blue vinyl ~198/200)
Minami Deutsch: Minami Deutsch
Black Bombaim & La La Ressonance: Black Bombaim & La La Ressonance (This is another excellent LP - fabulous extended instrumental psyche-rock jams. The bass playing is top notch. Really gave my speaker a good rumbling work out).

Preorder:
Levitation: Meanwhile Gardens 2xLP

I am stupidly excited about this TBH. I've been waiting for 20-odd years for a decent copy of this. My Walkman chewed my nth generation bootleg cassette up way back in the late 1990s so I have only the vaguest memories of this LP. I recall being very impressed by what I could hear of it.......
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

olan wrote: Hills: Live at Daemonen's Port (2xLP on Blue vinyl ~198/200)
Minami Deutsch: Minami Deutsch
Black Bombaim & La La Ressonance: Black Bombaim & La La Ressonance (This is another excellent LP - fabulous extended instrumental psyche-rock jams. The bass playing is top notch. Really gave my speaker a good rumbling work out).
Some of the stuff Cardinal Fuzz arre making available is just incredible at the moment. That Black Bombaim split sounds incredible from the sample track as does the Dreamweapon S/T album thats up on offer. I've just took delivery of the new Dead Sea Apes, the Stay Holy compilation and the new Hills double LP... and every one looks, feels and sounds incredible!
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

olan wrote:
Shinesalight wrote: Dead Meadow - Howls From The Hills (reissue)

Any good?
Extremely. You especially need to check out Blown Out...they are phenomenal. Like Laz said, if you like (and I assume you do) The Cosmic Dead/Black Bombaim/Carlton Melton then you will love these. Blistering guitar wig-outs and general instrumental heaven 8) :D

I've just taken delivery of that live Hills LP too....what a beauty :D :D 8) 8)
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Bloody Cardinal Dave - he will drive me into poverty....as will Dom at GPS :lol:

I have decided to wait on the Dreamweapon LP. I'm in negotiations to buy quite a large collection of records (350+ LPs) so we are cutting back just in case :roll: .
runaway
Known user

Post by runaway »

SACD goodness courtesy of CDJapan (rendering my semi-annual trips to Tower Tokyo practically obsolete)-

johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

Sly & The Family Stone - Fresh (original UK vinyl pressing, lovely gatefold and lyric insert)
Destruction Unit - Void ('smoke' vinyl, 250 pressing, found this by chance on a Google search http://jollydreamrecords.bigcartel.com/ ... it-void-lp)
Father John Misty - I Love You Honeybear (double vinyl with lots of treats, 2 year anniversary gift from my girlfriend)
Dirty Beaches - Hotel EP (Japanese pressing of 150, gift to my girlfriend, she loves ballet, front cover has a ballerina on it, and a song called My Girl Was A Ballerina......the music itself is lovely)
Thee Hypnotics - Live'r Than God - vinyl find in a local skate/donut/2nd hand vinyl shop, £2.50, bargain.
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

^^^^^^ALL VERY NICE INDEED! One of the greatest little shops I used to find WONDERFUL records was a bakery! That was c. 1979. Just the other day...............
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

I have continued to find as many of the best examples I can find of earlier recordings, from 1899 to about 1940; and of course, the newer and newest releases are not being ignored. Below is a Grading Scale for 78rpm shellacs that may be new to some of you; these shellacs were "tough" in that they could ruin a Steel needle in a single play, but they are also brittle, and require more care than modern vinyl discs to keep their sound at its best.

Like too many recordings, so many were mistreated, and with scores of recordings arriving that are over 100 years old, it is amazing to see so many in such well preserved condition; I luckily obtained several Test Pressings, from 1900 - 1937 that look and sound "as new". Some are very unusual; "Airplane", "Automobiles", et cetera; sharing with masses of people the "new" gadgets they had heard of, but still had never actually seen or yet "heard" firsthand.

It is fascinating to look and listen to the last 115 years in one place; a Continuum of Sound that is very enjoyable. As usual, I depend upon those dealers who are VERY particular in their grading, or frankly, what they will refuse to sell. Many recordings, despite their age, transcend time, and are very Beautiful, and do not have that "dated" quality which often detracts; these particular recordings are very special.

A "Generalized" Method of (many) to Grade 78rpm Recordings:

•N. As new and unplayed; still within their perforated sleeves and unopened. Increasingly Obscure.
•N-. Nearly Mint, but has been played. No visible signs of wear or damage.
•E+. Plays like new, w/ very, very few signs of handling, such as tiny scuffs from being slipped in & out of jackets.
•E. Still very shiny, near new looking, w/ no visible signs of wear, but a few inaudible scuffs & scratches.
•E-. Still shiny but w/o the luster of a new record, few light scratches
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
•V+. An average condition 78 in which scuffs & general use has dulled the finish somewhat. Wear is moderate but playing is generally free from distortion. Surface noise not overly pronounced.
•V. Moderate, even wear throughout, but still very playable. Surface noise & scratches audible but not intrusive.
•V-. Quite playable still, but distortion & heavy greying (of the disc's color) in loud passages. Music remains loud in most passages. Surface noise & scratches well below music level.
•G+. Grey throughout (literally) but still serviceable. Music begins to sound muffled. Heavy scratches.
•G. Quite seriously worn & scratched, but music level is still higher than surface noise.
•G-. Music still prominent, but wear & scratch damage extensive.
•F. Most of music remains audible over surface noise, but listening now uncomfortable.
•P. Unplayable.
Last edited by semisynthetic on Mon May 30, 2016 1:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

Several of the RCA Victrola Sleeves have an ad for "The Magic Brain" Record Player; this either could not possibly do what they promise, (surprise); or it was simply too costly or likely BOTH. The time frame this was offered seems to be very narrow. The Graphic is simple, but nice; the Machine Man with Recordings in its head playing both sides while directing with baton in hand. The Ideas are good - but I cannot see that these promises were possible to make happen at that time. I DO like the optimism, however.

So I looked, and voila', some fellow has one; I cannot imagine placing a rare disc on this thing. Watch the Video, Music Lovers, it IS almost Halloween and as cool as it sounded on the sleeve, it is scary to watch - these Shellacs are very delicate! The "V-225" is definitely for "spare" copies! When I think how I treat my recordings, and see this machine drop them......I don't know. It is interesting, however; but finding an "original" quality player would be incredibly difficult. I can only imagine the cost.

The owner refers to "Pre-war" recordings, and that characterization is very often mentioned for a Pre-WW2 disc for a variety of reasons; firstly, just to basically say "it is really old"; to define the material it is made of, (which is important for the player above, for example) - a 1942 disc is much more brittle than a 1932 disc; it also helps to know the era to narrow down what pressing a disc is; oftentimes, as is still the case today, re-releases, or even later pressings in a first release may not have the same sound quality - even if it is still an early copy - "Banner" Label discs, for example, were a budget label; and their pressings are really not very good - certainly not as well pressed as the original label, and, although certainly not the only remaining reason, but it matters GREATLY if the 78rpm disc is a Shellac or a later material like vinyl or truly vinyl; for a softer disc would be simply lathed away in little curls using the steel or Tungsten-material needles. In about 1949 - 1950, more and more NEW releases were no longer on Shellacs, but on a softer, vinyl like media that in time was replaced with vinyl more as we know it; this makes Which Player to use very important.

Many older recordings that were Shellacs, have been re-released ON VINYL, which uses a modern style stylus; a bit more robust, but still different! My own "Moderne" (Swiss) 78rpm player is built upon the same body as both the 45 rpm and 33 1/3 rpm Turntables; but it has a different stylus designed FOR 78 rpm play (using vinyl discs, of course). There are other adaptations that made for the best possible "moderne 78 player"; but visually, the Stylus is the most noticeably different of all; the tonearm is also of a special make, and the 78rpm player has a different motor than the other two of the 3 Turntable Set. The dimensions of the stylus for Shellacs versus vinyl are interesting; if nothing else you learn why you play a steel needle ONCE per side of a Shellac, and why a worn out 78 turns visibly grey! Since the "V-225 Magic Brain" plays ONLY Victor discs; which I can understand - each Label or Company had sometimes GREAT VARIATIONS of thickness, diameter and mass, (Columbia had very thick discs compared to Victor, and a different diameter) - but a real music lover would have not limited the discs they bought to Victor! I think some of the very Best BLUES & JAZZ came out on Columbia - and a Host of lesser known labels; it really would have been an extravagance to have this advanced Player that was limited to a single Label; even the "Bluebird" Victor (budget) discs are obviously dimensionally different from Victor Premiere Label discs.

There IS a Capehart Brand record changer that is superior in everyway to the earlier Victor Models. But consider this, the Capehart Player, which plays and changes MOST Brands of discs w/ both 10" & 12" discs in the same "stack", was far more advanced than the Depression Era Victor; after WW2, a really fine Capehart Setup cost about $1450.00 delivered. That does not seem so much today, when a single component can cost 10x that price or more, but a Capehart player is certainly the better unit.

The "Magic Brain" IS a very interesting player - but it treats the discs like an indifferent mechanical child; to watch this thing drop discs, then drop them into a collection drawer - (and if you had a STACK of records, they would each have to slide over the others; it just bugs me!); As careful as I am to avoid any damage, and to gently clean any dust or particulates off "even a 78rpm disc", I would prefer to use my not-so-smart players; BUT to NOT change the needle(s) since the 1930s! (I would like to see that damaging setup of "forked" needles close-up. I wonder HOW MANY discs this fellow plays, and then tells us how "never a disc has broken; or why he chose a "warped" disc as an example)?
STILL -
That single point of never changing the needle(s) bothers me more than gambling that a disc will break - for not changing the needle(s) has DOOMED every record the "Magic Brain" has ever played over time! Look up why needles MUST be changed, and the photomicrography of both the Needles and Shellacs will make the whole thing very clear! Long ago the Record Companies realized that these (various) Steel Needles were so much cheaper to replace than the Shellacs - so the needles should be changed each side to minimize wear on the Shellac. The Ad says you NEVER change the (2) needle(s) of the V-225! THAT is a terrible error when as time goes by, the needle(s) are wearing away the discs that wear away the needles that wear away the discs!
Unlike modern setups, with pure vinyl and some outstanding styli, these Shellacs ATE needles, and these damaged needles "excavated" and removed visible amounts of the discs when not properly cared for, and that certainly included being very careful what "needle" type you used, and to replace them after one play; the "Tungstyl", "Tungstone" and other alloy needles allowed for more plays, but as usual, they were often exaggerated as companies do; the condition of BOTH the disc and needle is what should be used to decide when to change - but never simply the "number of plays". I tend to use single play needles that are nickel plated to avoid corrosion; after a single side, the needle has changed shape at the tip, which is sharp - but NOT a point; the nickle plating will have been removed from wherever the needle contacted the playing disc.
Of course, this is for the very early players that rely upon pure Acoustic Analogue Sound, not electric players that use later type discs, modern styli and electric amplification instead.

THIS IS AN EXAMPLE OF THE CAPEHEART CHANGER:
Attachments
RCA Magic Brain Sleeve PLAYS BOTH SIDES OF RECORDING
RCA Magic Brain Sleeve PLAYS BOTH SIDES OF RECORDING
RCA Magic Brain Sleeve PLAYS BOTH SIDES OF RECORDING 50cc.jpg (76.3 KiB) Viewed 12750 times
Last edited by semisynthetic on Sat Nov 07, 2015 10:03 am, edited 10 times in total.
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

The absolute cheapest retail recordings I am aware of were the short lived "Hit of the Week" Label series; lasting for let us say the year of "1932" (+/-), they offered the customer the latest music, hence the label name, for a mere 15 cents. Some people added this to their Sunday Newspaper, which was often the only paper most people bought for a few years. Still, even 15 cents was a luxury when so many were out of work or made a dollar a day or less; but not everyone was in such a sad state, although the Depression hit many people. The video above of the Victor "Magic Brain" record dropping machine was doomed to the economy, and WW2, with the change in composition and increased brittleness of the discs; yet I suppose anyone who could buy one of those in the 1930's could also buy extra records JUST IN CASE they broke.

The image below is the REVERSE of the 1-sided disc; and if you look, you can see the name Hal Phyfe, a prominent photographer of that era; his photos were used in Promotional Pieces (like this), and in Sheet Music - which was very popular - people could play the latest "favorites" on their piano or other instruments.
I have (33) of these "Hit of the Week" discs, and only Rudy Valle'e had his image placed on the reverse, (I have (3) examples of Vale'e on this format and label); I know (33) discs is not a very large sample number, but of all I have seen and many I did NOT purchase, (they were not in acceptable condition), only Vale'e made a sort of "Picture" disc out of a 15 cent cardboard laminated record. Clever. These 78rpm laminate/cardboard discs are not Audiophile discs, naturally, but they do play, and they were recorded in such a way that emphasized vocals and/or specific instrument(s), so the label did try to give you all one could expect for the price and more; given the times, it is easy to see why these were so popular. The Obverse, which I did not have an image, is so simple; just the label name printed across the center and the song titles, in a smaller font, below.

"Hit of the Week" Label Recordings; showing Picture reverse of (any) Rudy Vale'e example. 1932; This particular example is titled "You Try Somebody Else". Paul Whiteman and quite a list and variety of music and musicians are to be found on this label; it is a great way even today to find examples of interest and not spend much; I play them on a Silvertone Player; a "moderne economy" player from about 1965.
(I used an image I was sent).
Attachments
RUDY VALLEE _HIT OF THE WEEK_ 1932 REVERSE
RUDY VALLEE _HIT OF THE WEEK_ 1932 REVERSE
RUDY VALLEE _HIT OF THE WEEK_ 1932 REVERSE 550 cc.jpg (40.75 KiB) Viewed 12748 times
Last edited by semisynthetic on Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:20 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

A single LP arrived yesterday:

1). "Black Mass" by Lucifer; [sealed] c.1970; Fantastic electronic work; despite the "satanic" title, I always thought it was very pretty. (spare copy)

2). Also arriving was a case of 1000 "Loud" Victor Steel Gramophone Needles, Nickel Plated - to avoid corrosion.
Paracelsus
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

New additions on wax

Decemberists new LP plus 10" that came last month
Wand new LP
Camera first LP
Woods- Echo Lake LP
Woods Songs of Shame LP
Fuxa and Neil Mackay LP
Minami Deautsch LP
Tess Parks and Anton Newcombe LP
plus all the latest stuff on GPS and Deep Distance
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

FUZZ - II, (Turquiose vinyl)
Hey Colossus - In Black & Gold ( Gold vinyl)
Allah Las - Worship The Sun,
Spectres - Unofficial Spectre Theme 7" ( Gold vinyl)
Bob Dylan - 1965-1967 The Best Of The Cutting Edge, cd.