Minidisc

For anything else...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, spzretent, MODLAB, NightWash

nickh
Known user

Minidisc

Post by nickh »

Last edited by nickh on Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Unless you have some sort of optical socket on the back on your minidisc (i'm assuming its a portable one) and your sound card has an optical socket too you're kinda stuck with just the headphone/line-in connection.

The headphone/line-in connection allows you to create .WAV files on the PC, but you have no control over it. Its all a matter of creating the WAV and then splitting it up into the individual songs... i've wanted to do the same for ages, but never found a good, accurate way of doing it...

Anyone else got a more foolproof method?
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Coincidence...is either hit or miss.

I have recently exchanged emails with a poster here on this particular topic. I currently use the line-in/WAV method but the quality is severely compromised. Other than compressing the track excessively, there is little control there as you say Laz.

I too await a suitable alternative... one for the techheads? (Whoever they are...)
candy-cane-girl
Known user

Post by candy-cane-girl »

Google for audacity, i have had some good luck with that :)
Heady
Known user

Post by Heady »

Not too hot on this stuff, but I use (the somewhat dodgy) Sonicstage to get the tunes from a Hi-MD player onto the PC via the built-in PC link (all those newer Sony NetMD things have got em) then use a converter downloaded via Google to convert it into a .wav file. then edit etc as usual...

Sony do their own Hi-MD converter thingie but it doesn't seem to work on my PC...see here: http://sonyelectronics.sonystyle.com/walkmanmc/wav.html

Sadly though, I know of no way to do this with standard MD players (i.e. not Hi-MD), which was why I actually bought the Hi-MD thing in the first place...gettin' cheap though now, gotta be worth a look.