Wakey Wakey

For anything else...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, spzretent, MODLAB, NightWash

Hedspace
Known user

Wakey Wakey

Post by Hedspace »

I usually rush out of the house in the morning to work with no time for anything bar a shower and throwing on some clothes.
Now, due to a move, after crawling from the scratcher still blind from slumber, I have time to listen to music before heading off to join the rat race.

Cut to the point...Recommendations for music for the morning as its just to much hassle trying to think at that time.

Last couple of days I have been listening to

Car Boot Soul by Nightmares on Wax.
Last edited by Hedspace on Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
duppyconquerer
Known user

Re: Wakey Wakey

Post by duppyconquerer »

Depends on how much time you've got, you want to listen to something upbeat, catchy, happy sounding to give some momentum.
song wise:
-Croaking Lizard by Scratch and The Upsetters (Reggae vibes...)
-Move by Miles Davis (the BOTC live sessions version is longer and perfect teeth-brushing music)
-Drop it Down by Calibre (DnB for the early morning crew)
-Moulty by The Barbarians (Catchy and inspiring)
-You Set The Scene by Love (same as above)
-Nutty by Thelonious Monk and Coltrane (standard)
-Two Librans by The Fall (raw, catchy, funny)
and of course -Morning Has Broken by Cat Stevens.

if you have time to listen to a whole record:
-The Mouse And The Mask by Dangerdoom (aprox 30 mins long)
"I may flake out tonight if I cannot get my way"
Hedspace
Known user

Post by Hedspace »

Sourcing those now.
Cat Stevens is top of the list

Nice one DC
veiko
Known user

Post by veiko »

something by Stooges and Iggy Pop. maybe even Lust for Life, but then perhaps that turns you more like partyanimal than workinganimal.

The Fall is marvelous suggestion.

i myself would like to listen to stuff like Tortoise, cleares away every bitter memory of last evening, IF it was bitter...
Starfish
Known user

Post by Starfish »

i'm with veiko on this one.... Funhouse usually does the trick. By the time Dirt comes on, you're awake and fully capable of clear thought.
Hedspace
Known user

Post by Hedspace »

Funhouse:
Would never have thought of that.....likened to much to a cold shower in the morning...but giving it a whirl now I see exactly where your coming from.

A nice bop round the house in my "3 pack special" underpants...hot buttered toast raised to the morning sun.

perfect.
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

this is a good companion to the music to take naps to thread.

"......where (peter brotzman's) Machine Gun is just absolute excitement. It's like electricity. It's like the kind of thing you want to put on first thing in the morning. Not every morning! "
-jason pierce

chapter 24 by pink floyd is something i like to listen to in the morning.
or mogwai-rock action
SP3-dreamweapon

or madonna-ray of light!!! (just that song)

best of all is john cage 4:33 if you know what i mean, just peace.
Last edited by ro on Sun Mar 12, 2006 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
a beautiful noise
Known user

Post by a beautiful noise »

well i try to stary my days off on a positive note since i'm usually such a nasty little bitch.

so mornin' toons an tunes would be:

belle and sebastian- boy with an arab strap
dusty springfield- dusty in memphis
nancy sinatra sings country

ya know nothing toooo intense. my head is quite delicate first thing in the morning.
warmgun.
Known user

Post by warmgun. »

Ha! I actually started today off with Belle and Sebastian's The Boy With The Arab Strap! A good way to kick things off, indeed... It seems but a distant memory now.

I'd forgotten how much I enjoy that album - that and If You're Feeling Sinister are definitely worth a spin in the morning, or whenever you please really - much better than their current direction, I'd say...

Another good morning album choice might be something by the Byrds - I've always associated them with the AM for some reason - Younger Than Yesterday or Fifth Dimension?

Finally, Let it Die by Feist seems to have been making it into high rotation on Sunday Mornings... but that's a different kind of morning listen altogether - not one to get you out of bed, but rather one to keep you there!
a beautiful noise
Known user

[quote="warmgun."Finally, Let it Die by Feist seems to have been making it into high rotation on Sunday Mornings... but that's a different kind of morning listen altogether - not one to get you out of bed, but rather one to keep you there![/quote]

hmmm, i luv albums that make me stay in bed, especially on a sunday morning. i will have a look into Feist. thanks.

xxme
warmgun.
Known user

Post by warmgun. »

You may recognise 'Lady' Feist (she's indie rock royalty here in Canada!) as one of the numerous female voices of Broken Social Scene...

I won't bother trying to describe Let it Die other than to say that it's pretty timeless sounding (at least to these ears) and of couse it doesn't sound at all out of place on a Sunday Morning... which you already knew. Oh, and amongst her own material, she covers songs by Serge Gainsbourg and the Bee Gees!

Besides, it's a well documented fact that even if you don't like it, your girlfriend, wife, etc. will - guaranteed! ; )
a beautiful noise
Known user

haha, so you mean it has the possibility of this scenario:

me

"hey honey, have you seen that lady feist album i got about 6 months ago"?

her

"ohh yeah babe, it's in my radio at work, didn't think you liked it".

thanks for the headsup, i'll look for it this weeknd.

xxme

xxme
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

First thing...?

Silence...
warmgun.
Known user

Post by warmgun. »

"ohh yeah babe, it's in my radio at work, didn't think you liked it".
Yeah, that sounds vaguely familiar... My copy went "missing" for several weeks when I turned my girlfriend onto her with a mix cd...

Other stuff that's been on temporary sabbatical from my collection has inlcuded Nick Cave, Spiritualized and Sun Kil Moon (amongst several others...) Not that I'm complaining, sharing music is half the fun, right?
purespace
Known user

Post by purespace »

Sunday Morning. . . velvets

Some Velvet Morning . . . [insert favorite cover/orignal}
I think I feel it coming on
Hedspace
Known user

Post by Hedspace »

Excellent, thanks everyone.....definitely a few there that will be on rotation over the coming mornings.

Belle and Sebastian. hmmm, never liked them to be honest but I see the attraction.
Feist I have never heard of until now so I reckon those spare xmas record vouchers should cover the cost of one of her albums.

thats what I love about this site. Recommendation medication.

THis morning could have been better. I woke up to a wailing bastard of a cat that was either getting fucked or eaten. Not good. Hate the things.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Wait...

Cats are our friends.