Hutton says dossier not 'sexed up'

For anything else...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, spzretent, MODLAB, NightWash

clewsr
Known user

Hutton says dossier not 'sexed up'

Post by clewsr »

what a load of rubbish. Even from the evidence I saw its clear they sexed that dossier up. there's loads of specific examples of changing words to make them sound more sure than they were.

not to mention the fact of the complete and utter absense of any weapons found in iraq.

its a mockery of a sham of a sham of a mockery.
man
Known user

Post by man »

i heard a good one today about this:

"There's no question that Iraq was a threat to the people of the United States."
- White House spokeswoman Claire Buchan, 8/26/03

"We ended the threat from Saddam Hussein's weapons of mass destruction."

- President Bush, 7/17/03

Iraq was "the most dangerous threat of our time."

- White House spokesman Scott McClellan, 7/17/03

"Saddam Hussein is no longer a threat to the United States because we removed him, but he was a threat...He was a threat. He's not a threat now."

- President Bush, 7/2/03

"Absolutely."

- White House spokesman Ari Fleischer answering whether Iraq was an "imminent threat," 5/7/03

"We gave our word that the threat from Iraq would be ended."

- President Bush 4/24/03

"The threat posed by Iraq's weapons of mass destruction will be removed."

- Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld, 3/25/03

"It is only a matter of time before the Iraqi regime is destroyed and its threat to the region and the world is ended."

- Pentagon spokeswoman Victoria Clarke, 3/22/03

"The people of the United States and our friends and allies will not live at the mercy of an outlaw regime that threatens the peace with weapons of mass murder."

- President Bush, 3/19/03

"The dictator of Iraq and his weapons of mass destruction are a threat to the security of free nations."

- President Bush, 3/16/03

"This is about imminent threat."

- White House spokesman Scott McClellan, 2/10/03

Iraq is "a serious threat to our country, to our friends and to our allies."

- Vice President Dick Cheney, 1/31/03

Iraq poses "terrible threats to the civilized world."

- Vice President Dick Cheney, 1/30/03

Iraq "threatens the United States of America."

- Vice President Cheney, 1/30/03

"Iraq poses a serious and mounting threat to our country. His regime has the design for a nuclear weapon, was working on several different methods of enriching uranium, and recently was discovered seeking significant quantities of uranium from Africa."

- Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld, 1/29/03

"Saddam Hussein possesses chemical and biological weapons. Iraq poses a threat to the security of our people and to the stability of the world that is distinct from any other. It's a danger to its neighbors, to the United States, to the Middle East and to the international peace and stability. It's a danger we cannot ignore. Iraq and North Korea are both repressive dictatorships to be sure and both pose threats. But Iraq is unique. In both word and deed, Iraq has demonstrated that it is seeking the means to strike the United States and our friends and allies with weapons of mass destruction."

- Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld, 1/20/03

"The Iraqi regime is a threat to any American. They not only have weapons of mass destruction, they used weapons of mass destruction...That's why I say Iraq is a threat, a real threat."

- President Bush, 1/3/03

"The world is also uniting to answer the unique and urgent threat posed by Iraq whose dictator has already used weapons of mass destruction to kill thousands."

- President Bush, 11/23/02

"I would look you in the eye and I would say, go back before September 11 and ask yourself this question: Was the attack that took place on September 11 an imminent threat the month before or two months before or three months before or six months before? When did the attack on September 11 become an imminent threat? Now, transport yourself forward a year, two years or a week or a month...So the question is, when is it such an immediate threat that you must do something?"

- Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld, 11/14/02

"Saddam Hussein is a threat to America."

- President Bush, 11/3/02

"I see a significant threat to the security of the United States in Iraq."

- President Bush, 11/1/02

"There is real threat, in my judgment, a real and dangerous threat to American in Iraq in the form of Saddam Hussein."

- President Bush, 10/28/02

"The Iraqi regime is a serious and growing threat to peace."

- President Bush, 10/16/02

"There are many dangers in the world, the threat from Iraq stands alone because it gathers the most serious dangers of our age in one place. Iraq could decide on any given day to provide a biological or chemical weapon to a terrorist group or individual terrorists."

- President Bush, 10/7/02

"The Iraqi regime is a threat of unique urgency."

- President Bush, 10/2/02

"There's a grave threat in Iraq. There just is."

- President Bush, 10/2/02

"This man poses a much graver threat than anybody could have possibly imagined."

- President Bush, 9/26/02

"No terrorist state poses a greater or more immediate threat to the security of our people and the stability of the world than the regime of Saddam Hussein in Iraq."

- Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld, 9/19/02

"Some have argued that the nuclear threat from Iraq is not imminent - that Saddam is at least 5-7 years away from having nuclear weapons. I would not be so certain. And we should be just as concerned about the immediate threat from biological weapons. Iraq has these weapons."

- Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld, 9/18/02

"Iraq is busy enhancing its capabilities in the field of chemical and biological agents, and they continue to pursue an aggressive nuclear weapons program. These are offensive weapons for the purpose of inflicting death on a massive scale, developed so that Saddam Hussein can hold the threat over the head of any one he chooses. What we must not do in the face of this mortal threat is to give in to wishful thinking or to willful blindness."

- Vice President Dick Cheney, 8/29/02
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

I'm glad someone replied to this - it saved my having to reply to my own post, which must be a sign of madness.

I can't tell you how fucked off and angry about this I am, and I'm normally pretty laid back and cynical about politics. For me this is nearly as bad for UK as the bloody hanging chad business in America. Then biased politically minded supreme court judges voted their own in with scant regard for Democracy. This time 1 judge has sided with the government in the face of massive evidence to the contrary. What gets me is that WE SAW THE EVIDENCE its out there in the public domian, and a hell of a lot indicates that the Dossier was sexed up, Blair was less than truthfull about the naming of Dr Kelly and they failed in their duty of care to him. Hutton put down his suicide to a 'loss of self esteem'?? He didn't even mention the enormous pressure that must have been bearing down on Kelly.

It stinks massively.

Anyway Just needed to get that off my chest. erm, Spiritualized, they're great. :?
sly saxon
Known user

Post by sly saxon »

Just to reassure you that you are not alone, I for one am feeling pretty similar ...feelings...to you about all this. I think that the best you can sya about the report is that it is politically naive - the idea that 'sexing-up' can comprise of removal rather than dressing up speaks wolumes about Hutton's proclivities for instance. The fact that such criticism of the government as can be found is buried in the text rather than in the conclusions is asking for it in a climate where spin is what counts.

The thing that really gets my goat is that this was the Wrong inquiry.
It's all happening!
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

sly saxon wrote:The thing that really gets my goat is that this was the Wrong inquiry.
Agreed! - And isn't that very convenient,- they have the wrong enquiry, and lots of very dodgy evidence come out, but its not in scope. And Anyone that says we should have an enquiry about why we went to war now will be told we've already had one, let it go, its tme to move on.

I think the government would have done better to have had a bit of critism and lost someone - the defence secretary - that might have given people the feeling that justice was done. It clearly wasn't.
Starfish
Known user

Post by Starfish »

I don't believe many people give the Enquiry any credibility whatsoever. It was almost comical the way there wasn't a speck of dirt on Bliar.
If they wanted the report to have a bit of credibility, they should have at least accepted a tiny bit of criticism - but to have a blanket whitewash means they have just shot themselves in the foot.

Imagine how the UK (and US) Govts would have reacted if Saddam had been accused of wrongdoing and then said: "OK, I'm going to appoint one of my mates to conduct an enquiry into my actions."
... and then a few weeks later a straight-faced Saddam says: "Well this report has cleared me of everything. So there you go. I'm in the right and you lot are wrong."

No wonder Bliar wanted to "draw a line under the episode" and move swiftly on.

(another nasty taste from all this is The Sun's salivating bashing of the Beeb, going along with the party line)
The Breeze
Known user

Post by The Breeze »

What amazes me is why you still bother with politicians who are obviously all careerists cunts!

Cut their fucking heads off and stick 'em on spike outside Westminster!!

That'll learn 'em!!
soledad sister
Known user

Post by soledad sister »

Shame on the United Nations for not enforcing their threat of Sanctions towards the U.S. if Bush proceeded w/his Master Plan. By not taking action discredited the U.N.'s reputation as World Peace Police. Greater even so, such lack of action gave rise to Bush's ability to be/act above any law.
Also noted, Bliar sleeps in the same bed!
Without doubt Bush is a monster. Be very afraid of a man w/out a conscience.
ORBITAL
Known user
Location: Drinking Breaker at night, in the cold duchess light.

Post by ORBITAL »

THe united nations will do nothin as theyre just puppets for Hairy Bushs plans for the NWO.
natty
Known user

Post by natty »

They are scum. Seeing Campbell talking about how politicians are a nice bunch of guys and the media are scum made me want to reach for an axe. The Hutton report was never going to come up with any dirt on Bliar, its remit was far too narrow to answer any of the real questions.

You'd have thought that Bliar might have taken this opportunity to admit he was wrong about the WMD's but no... he continues to brazen it out.

What happens now if the Iraq Survey Group reaches the conclusion that there are no WMD's in Iraq, will the head of the Joint Intelligence Committee have to resign?

Bliar is starting to resemble Thatcher at her worst.

I can see Bush and Bliar walking away from this unscathed while the heads of intelligence are the fall guys.

I sincerely hope they die soon.
triplechoco
New user

Re: Hutton says dossier not 'sexed up'

Post by triplechoco »

very interesting post! thanks a lot for sharing it with us..

commission de surendettement - commission de surendettement, vous pouvez demander un dossier de surendettement.
Mustard
Known user

Re: Hutton says dossier not 'sexed up'

Post by Mustard »

Reading 'The Shock Doctrine' by Naomi Klein at the moment and refers to the Iraq invasion and possibly why it was carried out. Worth a read.
clewsr
Known user

Re:

Post by clewsr »

Reading through this ancient thread and knowing what we know now, I think Breeze's post stands the test of time...
The Breeze wrote:What amazes me is why you still bother with politicians who are obviously all careerists cunts!

Cut their fucking heads off and stick 'em on spike outside Westminster!!

That'll learn 'em!!