chip buddy

For anything else...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, spzretent, MODLAB, NightWash

ro
Known user

chip buddy

Post by ro »

yesterday my friend made chip buddies for us.
her friend from liverpool had made them for her recently.
my fellow americans: this is a french fries sandwich with ketchup and mustard on white bread.
i don't think i'll have to eat for a week.

i'm just curious about chip buddies, i guess.
what do you drink with them?
we went with a nice IPA.
i don't think i could drink guiness with it. that'd be like four meals at once.

?
Fuzzhead
Known user

Post by Fuzzhead »

I thought this thread was gonna be about some obscure Rockabilly singer.

But yeah, chip buttys are damn tasty. It's standard fayre over here. A mug of tea would be my choice of drink.

It's funny to hear an American get so excited about a chip butty!

Rock 'N' Roll - chip buttys & tea!
duppyconquerer
Known user

Post by duppyconquerer »

Fuzzhead wrote:I thought this thread was gonna be about some obscure Rockabilly singer.
same here! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Chip Buddy sounds so much better!

How many did you have?! They're not that filling :!:

Ro, you wanna get a fish-finger sarnie down yer!

Better yet, 1 half chips, the other half 2 or 3 fish fingers.

followed with jelly n' ice-cream.

Then a nap cuz of all the excitement. :wink:
"I may flake out tonight if I cannot get my way"
Fuzzhead
Known user

Post by Fuzzhead »

Mmmmm - fish finger sarnies. Now you're speaking my language Duppy! I haven't had one of those in ages but the freezer could take one hell of a pounding later.

It's only a matter of time before the London foodies get on the Fish Finger Sarnie (FFS) bandwagon.

Ro, you're a lightweight son! Over here we have a couple of chip buttys along with our fish & chips. And you lot get the name of being fat bastards?!

One last thing though - anyone who eats tomato ketchup is a minger!
duppyconquerer
Known user

Post by duppyconquerer »

Fuzzhead wrote:Mmmmm - fish finger sarnies. Now you're speaking my language Duppy! I haven't had one of those in ages but the freezer could take one hell of a pounding later.

It's only a matter of time before the London foodies get on the Fish Finger Sarnie (FFS) bandwagon.

Ro, you're a lightweight son! Over here we have a couple of chip buttys along with our fish & chips. And you lot get the name of being fat bastards?
Innit breadbin! yer gots yer fish, yer gots yer peas, yer gots yer chips. Then you also gots yer CHIP BUTTY.

seriously Fuzzhead, I hadn't had a fish-finger butty in ages until I saw a cartoon (The Boondocks) recently when they were eating what I assumed to be fishfingers.

as i type this I'm listening to the ragga-DnB version of 'pass de duchie pon de left hand side'. Sickness! "How does it feeel when you got no foood" Image
Fuzzhead
Known user

Post by Fuzzhead »

Pass the mushy peas on the left hand side. :shock:
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

duppyconquerer wrote:
Fuzzhead wrote:I thought this thread was gonna be about some obscure Rockabilly singer.
same here! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Chip Buddy sounds so much better!
:lol:
well yes, chip buddy was in a rockabilly outfit called the warblin' mingers. played a mean lap steel, too.
i always get them confused, sorry!
i knew i should've checked the slang dictionary beforehand:
butty Noun. A sandwich. The term originates in the North of England but has gained national use. Also spelt buttie. {Informal}

i only ate half of one!
i'm just a speck of a girl at 110 Lbs. i don't know what that is in stones.
i don't know how y'all manage those things.
i don't like ketchup much either, that may have been part of the trouble.
what do you put on it then, vinegar?
sniff_the_glue
New user

Post by sniff_the_glue »

brown sauce...........HP not DADDYS :wink:
Jebus Sabes
Known user

Post by Jebus Sabes »

But the important question is who do love more - Daddy, or Chips?

</end obscure british tv advert reference>
g.spaceman
Known user

Post by g.spaceman »

I'm currently having to jack off the chips as my chip buddy is having her jaw wired up.

I may have to consider looking for another friend to eat with, maybe I could find a nice looking pie partner if I hang around outside Greggs during my lunchtime :?
You know I've been thinking about not coming down...
Fuzzhead
Known user

Post by Fuzzhead »

As with fry-ups, we over here in Northern Ireland do the best chip buttys by a country mile.

The English chip butty is glorious, don't get me wrong! But you can't buy a 'plain' loaf over there. Nutty Crust is where it's at baby! It's just SO much better. I need back-up here. Someone tell them!

Below we have a Nutty Crust Butty in all it's glory. Although if we're getting fussy, if this was my butty it would be covered in butter. Look how dry that looks! Not good enough.

simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

theres a bar in Londons trendy hoxton square that sells them a 6 quid a pop (the blue bar). Go for the burger though, coz its good. That chip butty looks fantastic. I can almost smell it. Got any ketchup?
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

looks like a heart attack on a plate.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
u_nderscore
Known user

Post by u_nderscore »

up here we have stottie cakes. they are supreme chip butty/heart attack material.

*disclaimer - please ignore the fact that the terrible photo makes this one look quite revolting, they are very nice*
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

"...makes it difficult for many people to eat one whole in one sitting, therefore most bakeries provide them halved or even quartered..."
duppyconquerer
Known user

Post by duppyconquerer »

Stotties don't have chips in though, do they? If your're up in that corner of the world, you wanna go to that chinese bakery that sells sweet tasting bread with meat in them and stuff. :wink: (i think it's near a comic book/video shop thing)...

ro, have you had an egg and bacon butty? Do yankees have the same sort of bacon as us brits? euroapeans don't...
the key is to dip the bread into the fat in the frying pan at the end.

If you must go down this cullinary road of curious brit-fodder, avoid at all costs the 'black pudding'. :shock:

do you have steak n kidney pie over there?
I bet you don't have beans on toast (with worcester sauce)!

Or yorkshire puddings!

Also, for a dessert, try a yorkshire pudding (not the huge ones), with blackcurrent vineager.

I'll probaby just have gruel for my dinner. (Oliver Twist stylee)

followed with 'bread n' dripping', (1940s stylee)

TODAY, in fact, is.....

NATIONAL CHEESE ON TOAST DAY! (but I only have odd cheese, so don't know if it'll work)
:(
a beautiful noise
Known user

Post by a beautiful noise »

i can't believe you eat like this duppy.

as for me, red beans and rice. lots and lots of avocado's. and my favourite thing of all time, cream cheese on wheat wafers. mmmmmmm.

and as for bacon, i don't know how you can eat that. especially what the brit's call bacon. that's just a tuft a pig!

but i really like your chips. they are quite fantastic with lots of vinegar on them on a really cold afternoon in Leyton. good times.

ohhhh and eating fried mars bars, and a fried cheese pizza in glasgow was top as well.

xx
duppyconquerer
Known user

Post by duppyconquerer »

duppyconquerer wrote:
If you must go down this cullinary road of curious brit-fodder

I DON'T! That's why I said the above. But these foods do exist in this neck of the woods, and I was pretty much forced to eat them as a nipper.
The gruel was a joke.
But I do eat toast, and the sweet chinese bread things are lovely. :oops: Bet everyone thinks I'm some sort of pot-bellied frying-pan whore now! Today I am making a vegetable stir fry...are you vegetarian ABN? If not I make a mean bean, rice, chicken, corriander recipie I could PM you...

and I must admit, that I too have eaten a deep-fried mars bar. Just once though, long time ago!

But I reckon I could give Iggy Pop a run for his money on the whole shockingly skinny thing!

edit: a fried pizza?! :shock:
Last edited by duppyconquerer on Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

i don't think i'd do very well over there.
i had a tough enough time in france, where everything is served as a side dish to melted butter.
don't you guys crave a glass of juice with those things?
i'm glad to get all this info, though, it's very interesting.

beans on toast sounds good, and i do enjoy a nice egg and cheese in the mornings.
but my fries are stayin on the side, where their individuality can be fully appreciated.
where i am we have a healthy dose of americanized irish pubs, serving "irish breakfast".
being vegetarian, i ususally just order beer instead. :D

what, dare i ask, is black pudding?

now i raise the question of the hot toddy- should i make a new thread?- Hot Toddy, wasn't he one of those glam rockers?
it's hard to get a hot toddy over here.
bartenders shrug their shoulders at me when i try to order a hot toddy.
maybe in the higher end places, but i'm never in those.
i don't get it, because it's the best thing in a chilly bar on a winter's night.
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

fried mars bars,
deep fried mars bar

WHAT!?!?!??!?
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

duppyconquerer wrote: edit: a fried pizza?! :shock:
and WHAT?!?!?!?!

:lol: :lol: :lol:
pass the JUICE on the left-hand side!
juice!
water!

ehhh... water....

water....
a beautiful noise
Known user

ahhh the vegetarian question has finally come up op on the board.

yes i am nearly a full blown veggie. my girlfriend is, and over the years has convinced me of the benefits. i see and feel the difference.

i have slowly quit eating chicken and that was the final hurdle.

now as for as a deep fried pizza, that might be best left to orbie to answer. it was really good.

now for themars bar, go to any chippy in glasgow and have them deep fry it. surprisingly it was quite good.

now anything involving blood and intstines turned into pudding makes me proud to be a veggie! :wink:

xx
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

do ya drink milk, ABN?
i find soy milk is really good.
dairy's good in my book, except for milk: i hate it.

as for the fried mars bar-
i can't even imagine that!
duppyconquerer
Known user

Post by duppyconquerer »

ro wrote:i don't think i'd do very well over there.
i had a tough enough time in france, where everything is served as a side dish to melted butter.
don't you guys crave a glass of juice with those things?

now i raise the question of the hot toddy- should i make a new thread?- Hot Toddy, wasn't he one of those glam rockers?
it's hard to get a hot toddy over here.

Totally agree there! Why people go on about french cuisine is beyond me! It's bland and too small. The food over there has a big ego and the onion-munching, 'cheese-eating surrender monkeys' eat frogs and horses goddamit! Their beer, like yank beer, is piss as well.

I made another thread for food based queries for us all...

and in case the US cats don't know what 'yorkshire pudding' is, all it is is pancake mixture, put in a cake tray and put in the oven. It rises like a little bowl. You could probably eat a million and still be hungry, like with pancakes...
a beautiful noise
Known user

milk is bad!!! but i love it and i am slowly turning to my girls' vanilla soy milk. i don't think i could ever give yogurt, ice cream or cream cheese.

but but but my morning cereal, it just won't be the same.

things will never be the same :cry:

xx
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

[quote="duppyconquerer"]

Totally agree there! Why people go on about french cuisine is beyond me! Their beer, like yank beer, is piss as well.

quote]

French food is too rich for me thank you very much. It probably should be served in smaller portions. I think we, in the US, have most of the world beat on large portions. And for that matter large humans.

AND.....not ALL Yank beer is like Budweiser. Hell, go to the Pacific Northwest and there are shitloads of fantastic microbreweries. The Northeast too.
Believe it or not there are quite a few around Motown :shock:
At one they do like a beer camp on Saturdays. You pick the ingredients, wuth help from the expert staff, and make your beer. I did this about a month ago. We bottle it Saturday. Mango Belgian style ale. It may taste like shit but i got my own label(though I thinks its gonna be a great porch sippin' beer all all summer) :D
duppyconquerer
Known user

Post by duppyconquerer »

spzretent wrote:
duppyconquerer wrote:
Totally agree there! Why people go on about french cuisine is beyond me! Their beer, like yank beer, is piss as well.

quote]

French food is too rich for me thank you very much. It probably should be served in smaller portions. I think we, in the US, have most of the world beat on large portions. And for that matter large humans.

AND.....not ALL Yank beer is like Budweiser. Hell, go to the Pacific Northwest and there are shitloads of fantastic microbreweries. The Northeast too.
Believe it or not there are quite a few around Motown :shock:
At one they do like a beer camp on Saturdays. You pick the ingredients, wuth help from the expert staff, and make your beer. I did this about a month ago. We bottle it Saturday. Mango Belgian style ale. It may taste like shit but i got my own label(though I thinks its gonna be a great porch sippin' beer all all summer) :D
No offence meant, that does sound good. I was basing my obviously ill-founded beer comments on the stuff available in the UK. But all the times I've been to france my very meagre appitite has never been satisfied...
and they eat horses...i'd love to try mango ale. Do you get banana bread beer in the US? It doesn't contain bread, strangely, some sort of Tudor translation or something, but it does taste very bananaery, I defy anyone to drink more than four of them because it's sooo filling :?

edit: as i write this, there are 134 guests browsing :shock:
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

never heard of banana bread beer.
there is microbrewery on the east coast called Dogfish Head. They do a beer called Raisin D'etre. The finish is very Raisin-ey. Its great.
i'll let you know how this mango experiment worked out.
i had mango lager last summer at this brewery and it was thee beer of the summer. ours kicks it up a notch. 6.5% and we used belgian hops.
will this do?
Known user

Post by will this do? »

duppyconquerer wrote: Do you get banana bread beer in the US? It doesn't contain bread, strangely, some sort of Tudor translation or something, but it does taste very bananaery, I defy anyone to drink more than four of them because it's sooo filling :?
I had a few bottles of Banana Bread beer, a few years ago... was it a Young's brew? I got it in a Supermarket down hereabouts, but I haven't seen it since. #edit# apparently it's a Charles Wells beer... who'd have thought it...

Do you like the Blandford Fly?

I *love* ale.
Lipsmackin' thirstquenchin' acetastin' motivatin' goodbuzzin' cooltalkin'
highwalkin' fastlivin' evergivin' self aggrandizin' willthisdo?
The Breeze
Known user

Post by The Breeze »

u_nderscore wrote:up here we have stottie cakes. they are supreme chip butty/heart attack material.

*disclaimer - please ignore the fact that the terrible photo makes this one look quite revolting, they are very nice*
Spnal-chord in a bap!
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

"Bangers and mash"??
Superstar
Known user

Post by Superstar »

ro wrote:"Bangers and mash"??
Translation: sausages and mashed potatoes. I would recommend refusing to indulge in such a dish unless the sausages are extremely high quality ones and the mash has been checked for lumps, Ro.
I tell you what I occasionally miss from the States - that powder that you mix up into a sickly drink. Is it called Kool Aid??
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

yup. just ask Jim Jones about it :shock:
duppyconquerer
Known user

Post by duppyconquerer »

what is kool aid? Can a yank send me some please?
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

Superstar wrote:Translation: sausages and mashed potatoes.
oh. i thought it was chips and dip!
thanks.

kool-aid reminds me of pop-rocks. and tang, official drink for spaceships and drunken teens
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTOMWDrJtIU
i love the comment:
"U 2 are nutters! It serves you right for playing with American products!"
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

duppy, be careful what you wish for!
duppyconquerer
Known user

Post by duppyconquerer »

toad in the hole :wink:
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

"toad in the hole"??

sounds like it means "a sure thing".
but, with a little help from wikipedia, i see that it
does
not

er- but it's a sure thing i'd be sad if i ate it.

"Strong regional dialect has resulted in the dish being locally called "Tow'd in't th'ow" in some areas. Badly made toad in the hole is sometimes described as "frog in a bog". Once known as Frog-i'-th'-'ole pudding in Lancashire
In some countries, including Australia and Canada, and in many parts of the U.S., Toad in the Hole is the name of a dish that involves cutting a hole in a slice of bread, cracking an egg into it, and then frying it"
ah! a bullseye= superb!
gimperella
Known user

Post by gimperella »

i thought toad in the hole was a couple of bangers cooked in a HUGE yorkshire pudding?

never heard of the bread / hole / egg thing.

Tho i'm not a chef, so i really don't know.
duppyconquerer
Known user

Post by duppyconquerer »

ro wrote:"toad in the hole"??

sounds like it means "a sure thing".
but, with a little help from wikipedia, i see that it
does
not

er- but it's a sure thing i'd be sad if i ate it.

"Strong regional dialect has resulted in the dish being locally called "Tow'd in't th'ow" in some areas. Badly made toad in the hole is sometimes described as "frog in a bog". Once known as Frog-i'-th'-'ole pudding in Lancashire
In some countries, including Australia and Canada, and in many parts of the U.S., Toad in the Hole is the name of a dish that involves cutting a hole in a slice of bread, cracking an egg into it, and then frying it"
ah! a bullseye= superb!
:shock:

gimp's right I think. It's sausage meat (chewed up bits of meaty crap from animals - including toe-nails, eye-lashes etc to make it fill out, then wrapped in pig gut(?)) encased in batter mixture. yum. "Toad-inthole" (maybe)
will this do?
Known user

Post by will this do? »

Ooh... I'm planning on cooking a splendid meal at the weekend - start with braised asparagus with a poached egg on top (idea stolen from Celebrity Masterchef Graeme Le Saux chiz chiz)... followed by poached white fish - (I'll see what they've got that's good) with a beurre blanc sauce (following Rick Stein's book), new potatoes and peas.

*Nom nom*

I don't know what to call it... Fish in a Dish?
Last edited by will this do? on Thu Sep 28, 2006 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

yeah, i'm sorry, i quoted selectively.
"Toad in the hole is a traditional British dish. It consists of sausages in Yorkshire pudding mix, usually served with vegetables and gravy."
and then they say the "in some countries.." bit.

i always called that fried egg/toast thing a bullseye.

chewed up eyelashes :D
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

i'll be frying up some chewed up eyelashes, with a side of- um- what goes with that?
will this do?
Known user

Post by will this do? »

ro wrote:i always called that fried egg/toast thing a bullseye.
We called it 'Egg with a hat' (because you re-place the square of bread before serving).
will this do?
Known user

Post by will this do? »

ro wrote:i'll be frying up some chewed up eyelashes, with a side of- um- what goes with that?
Grit :wink: .
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

you are patient!
i always eat it while waiting for the egg to cook.
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

grits, maybe.
duppyconquerer
Known user

Post by duppyconquerer »

ro wrote:i'll be frying up some chewed up eyelashes, with a side of- um- what goes with that?
chicken knuckles?
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

i make dice out of those.
and therefore they are all with my no-good cousin.
Fuzzhead
Known user

Post by Fuzzhead »

Mmmmmm...I love Toad In The Hole!

Duppy, you might want to cover your eyes. This is what I'm gonna have for my tea tomorrow evening:

I'm scum and I know I am!
duppyconquerer
Known user

Post by duppyconquerer »

Fuzzhead wrote:Mmmmmm...I love Toad In The Hole!

Duppy, you might want to cover your eyes. This is what I'm gonna have for my tea tomorrow evening:

I'm scum and I know I am!
It's not too late!!!
Chapter Two
Known user

Post by Chapter Two »

I think the fact an American thought this thing was called a chip buddy might be the funniest thing I've heard all day.
Jasonsmith
Known user

Post by Jasonsmith »

There's a music themed cafe in Camden Town that sells a crack whore pizza. I can't remember all the toppings but fish fingers, ketchup, and crisps were three of them. There's a rudeboy pizza too, that has jerk chicken, which I'll definitely try next time I'm there.
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

Fuzzhead wrote:Mmmmmm...I love Toad In The Hole!
haha! i thought you'd say something like that.
you, who frowned upon cooking ramen noodles in the sink!
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

Chapter Two wrote:I think the fact an American thought this thing was called a chip buddy might be the funniest thing I've heard all day.
and why not? it's so bulky it's corporeal.
like an old barrel of a dog, or a buddy.
it could get up and walk.
slowly.
Fuzzhead
Known user

Post by Fuzzhead »

ro wrote: haha! i thought you'd say something like that.
you, who frowned upon cooking ramen noodles in the sink!
:lol: :lol:

We're all sqaure now! Our shameful little kitchen secrets are out in the open.
Chapter Two
Known user

Post by Chapter Two »

ro wrote:
Chapter Two wrote:I think the fact an American thought this thing was called a chip buddy might be the funniest thing I've heard all day.
and why not? it's so bulky it's corporeal.
like an old barrel of a dog, or a buddy.
it could get up and walk.
slowly.
Give me freedom fries on rye anytime. Hold the mayo.

No, I mean actually hold it. Where's my camera?