tourfilter

For anything else...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, spzretent, MODLAB, NightWash

ro
Known user

tourfilter

Post by ro »

tourfilter is a new website (in test phase) for the northeast US.
you sign up, list your favorite bands, and they notify you when a show is posted.

http://newyork.tourfilter.com/
http://www.tourfilter.com/

very handy.
ghetto_defendant
Known user

Post by ghetto_defendant »

I think those bas*ards over at Ticketmaster do the same thing for you
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

tell me about it!
i can't seem to get off their list after buying from them once.

this is a friend of mine's site, actually.
AND- it's a labor of love. there's no advertising, he's just doing it for the sake of it.
aaaaaand... the colors are nice.
ghetto_defendant
Known user

Post by ghetto_defendant »

ro, where in the northeast US are you located???
ORBITAL
Known user
Location: Drinking Breaker at night, in the cold duchess light.

Post by ORBITAL »

http://www.toastfilter.com

Alerts you to new slices as soon as they are toasted.
Work is the scourge of the drinking classes
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

ah, toastfilter! that's good news because incedentally i'm waitin on some toast from the UK.
Orbital, you are always one step ahead!
thank you!

and i suppose "northeast US" was a little ambitious.
it's new york/boston/western mass.
(i'm in boston)
ash
Known user

Post by ash »

My word... Melbourne! I'm pleasantly astounded. Consider me signed up.

(bit disappointed by the lack of wicker, though)
. . . heligoland . . .
29.11.07 mécanique ondulatoire, paris // 16.01.08 divan du monde, paris
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

thanks, ash!
ash
Known user

Post by ash »

No worries. Got quite a few of my mates to sign up, and I've gotta say, we all reckon it's the best thing since sliced bread and toasters.
. . . heligoland . . .
29.11.07 mécanique ondulatoire, paris // 16.01.08 divan du monde, paris
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

hey, orbital told me about this site where you can sign up to get notified everytime a piece of toa...

:oops:
ORBITAL
Known user

Post by ORBITAL »

http://www.radishweb.net

Find out what vegetables are in season all year round
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

Great idea, nice site and easy to use - have signed up to the London site as I get down that way quite often. I did however notice the Damo Suzuki appearance at Sonic Cathedral @ The Legion on 2nd November is missing :?:

Are there plans to add any more UK cities?
I'm like Evel Knievel, I get paid for the attempt. I didn't promise this shit would be good!
Dave Chappelle
ORBITAL
Known user

Post by ORBITAL »

October:
Apples, Avocadoes, Apricots, Bananas, Blueberries, Prunes, Grapefruit, Grapes, Dates, Peaches, Kiwi, Lemons, Oranges, Pears, Pineapple, Limes, Plums, Persimmons, Aubergine, Raw Beetroot, Broccoli, Carrots, Cauliflower, Green & White Cabbages, Cherry tomatoes, Tomatoes, Celeriac, Courgettes, Fennel, Garlic, Ginger, Leeks, Mangetout, Sugarsnap peas, Spinach, Celery, Watercress, Greens
The Breeze
Known user

Post by The Breeze »

Mojo Filters.
I like your posts but that Logo is bigger than many of them. I reckon it might get more attention if it were smaller or appeared in different places or with a white backgound, fade-in-fade out, or changed from time to time.

By the way, them Early Years are a bit good are they not?
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

The Breeze wrote:Mojo Filters.
I like your posts but that Logo is bigger than many of them. I reckon it might get more attention if it were smaller or appeared in different places or with a white backgound, fade-in-fade out, or changed from time to time.

By the way, them Early Years are a bit good are they not?
The Early Years certainly are rather good, getting lots of good feedback about the debut album. Compared to so many of their contemporaries they are pushing things forward, whilst showing bits of their various influances, in the best possible way. For the unitiated there are some trackshere and the videos for both singles which are worth watching.

I see your point about the signature size - I just put it up quickly, to give a bit of free publicity for the album launch. I'll take it down as it's not the proper Early Years branding anyway, but and old logo from the Beggars Banquet site.

Really looking forward to November 2nd (Sonic Cathedral @ The Legion) when they will play with Damo Suzuki in one of his unrehearsed appearences. I've heard he can be a bit erratic, but hopefully the backing of big Can/krautrock fans will make this a bit special. I imagine it'll be a pretty popular gig.
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

mojo filters wrote:Great idea, nice site and easy to use - have signed up to the London site as I get down that way quite often. I did however notice the Damo Suzuki appearance at Sonic Cathedral @ The Legion on 2nd November is missing :?:

yes it seems the legion (whatever that is) is missing altogether.
definitely a work in progress. if you want to let him know that that gig (which sounds amazing, have fun!) should be there-
info@tourfilter .
i'll write him too. i know he's looking for feedback, he wants to make it work. yeah, he's planning to add more cities.
in fact he's changed the whole format since i posted those links.
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

ro wrote:
mojo filters wrote:Great idea, nice site and easy to use - have signed up to the London site as I get down that way quite often. I did however notice the Damo Suzuki appearance at Sonic Cathedral @ The Legion on 2nd November is missing :?:

yes it seems the legion (whatever that is) is missing altogether.
definitely a work in progress. if you want to let him know that that gig (which sounds amazing, have fun!) should be there-
info@tourfilter .
i'll write him too. i know he's looking for feedback, he wants to make it work. yeah, he's planning to add more cities.
in fact he's changed the whole format since i posted those links.
No worries, from previous experience the place will be full anyway - it's a pretty small venue, and there are plenty of others in London too so not an easy job to get them all in. I do think bands playing smaller venues should benefit much more from this facility than big names at bigger venues so it's worth getting them on.

I think the site is great idea and although it's nice not to have adverts on, maybe exploring a potential revenue stream like that would enable an easier roll-out to include more cities. I'm not sure how you'd do Newcastle though, since the whole Tyne & Wear urban conurbation is quite small and there are good venues in North Tyneside, Gateshead, South Tyneside and even some in Sunderland (though they're well hidden!).

Also it would be interesting to devise some means of researching how many members or visitors who clicked through the site to a particular gig's details actually went on to attend the gig. I don't know how you'd do that but the results would be vauable both as general feedback and for promoting the sites.

I think there's a lot of potential in this idea, for instance if I was visiting a city abroad I'd never been to before and wanted to know about live music there, this sort of site would be both detailed and also a familiar interface, though how you'd get round language barriers would be an issue to address.

How does your friend plan to monitor and maintain this as the number of sites grow? It sounds like a mighty big task.
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

hey mojo,
i showed chris what you wrote + he was very happy to get feedback.
he said this about the matter of posting certain venues:
(it's computer talk so i don't get it, but maybe you will)

i presume this is The Legion ...
http://www.legionbar.co.uk/
unfortunately it seems to have a gif-only interface... if your friend
knows of a place with a text schedule for it (on the web), tell him
to forward it to me and i'll add it.

and this:
(uh- i assume "stiffer" means "more accurate". slightly different meaning ln US + UK!)

lots of new changes in store for tf like a revamped logged in
homepage that filters your tours a little more than before and MUCH
STIFFER LISTINGS ALL AROUND!

peace
chris
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

ro wrote:hey mojo,
i showed chris what you wrote + he was very happy to get feedback.
he said this about the matter of posting certain venues:
(it's computer talk so i don't get it, but maybe you will)

i presume this is The Legion ...
http://www.legionbar.co.uk/
unfortunately it seems to have a gif-only interface... if your friend
knows of a place with a text schedule for it (on the web), tell him
to forward it to me and i'll add it.

and this:
(uh- i assume "stiffer" means "more accurate". slightly different meaning ln US + UK!)

lots of new changes in store for tf like a revamped logged in
homepage that filters your tours a little more than before and MUCH
STIFFER LISTINGS ALL AROUND!

peace
chris
Yeah, it's a nice picture but pretty poor website. I'd think that for nights like Sonic Cathedral, White Light, AC30 and others that move around different venues you'd get better results from the promoter's site rather than the venues - I think the Legion is only allowed to have bands on Sunday-Thursday through some arcane licensing law (I might be wrong on that). I don't know how that would fit into the template code, maybe a general London listings site would work better - I'm not the person to ask about that though and a quick Google search didn't produce anything decent results.

I understand about the text issue - I would think this is a rare problem as there are so many tools now for non-coders to produce decent HTML and upload it. It might be worth contacting The Legion and pointing out that their web interface is not searchable, would give them an incentive to make something a bit more sophisticated.

If I find out about another site with comprehensive listings I'll PM you, but I'd imagine there's plenty of London folks on here who could give you a steer.

I like the as others see you option - a clever idea I've never seen elsewhere. Good luck to your friend with all his work!
The Breeze
Known user

Post by The Breeze »

Mojo Filters,
I hope you have a fantastic time at the Nov 2 gig. I'll mention it to some of my mates and see if we can get along. If we do, i'll let you know and have a beer with you.
Unfortunately these days I have to do loads of adult stuff which is well gay.

My advice is to smoke hay whilst the sun shines (or something like that). I saw Faust a few years back and it smelled like my Dad's garage.

As for the Earlies, their video is a mix of Ride and Absolute Beginners by The Jam.

Are they the next cult hit?

I mean, for fucks sake, Jason and Sonic are the greatest living icons British music has.
Anyone who cannot see that is a King Canute.
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

The Breeze wrote:Mojo Filters,
I hope you have a fantastic time at the Nov 2 gig. I'll mention it to some of my mates and see if we can get along. If we do, i'll let you know and have a beer with you.
Unfortunately these days I have to do loads of adult stuff which is well gay.

My advice is to smoke hay whilst the sun shines (or something like that). I saw Faust a few years back and it smelled like my Dad's garage.

As for the Earlies, their video is a mix of Ride and Absolute Beginners by The Jam.

Are they the next cult hit?

I mean, for fucks sake, Jason and Sonic are the greatest living icons British music has.
Anyone who cannot see that is a King Canute.
Do you mean The Earlies, as in the band who's debut album was called These Were...The Earlies who remind me quite a bit of Magnétophone, or The Early Years?

This confusion has occured before. The Early Years are a guitar based band with most tracks set to sturdy Krautrock beat with one guitar usually making up the rhythm section (they don't always play live with a bass player) with tight arppegios and clean riffs, then Dave making waves of heavily effected guitar washes over the top, with identifiable SM3 influances, but technically more adept on the guitar than Pete. Check out their songs and videos currently up on their Myspace site, Brown Hearts is the pick of the tunes in my opinion.