Lunch

For anything else...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, spzretent, MODLAB, NightWash

The Breeze
Known user

Lunch

Post by The Breeze »

I just know it's gonna be brie, tomato and basil in a baguette with maybe a bannana for afters.
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

I had Lasagne from my office canteen. I was disappointed
will this do?
Known user

Post by will this do? »

Well, I've got a round of cheese and tomato pickle and a coxes apple in my satchel, and I'm going to follow that with a brisk walk into town (Maidstone) to check that, yes, it is still a toilet.

I've got some nectarines going ripe at home - I'll have one tomorrow.
The Breeze
Known user

Post by The Breeze »

Have to admit I'm more of a Braeburn man myself but the phrase 'a round of cheese and pickle sandwiches' really does sound appetising! Wrapped in foil? cellophane? or stored in a lunchbox?

Yesterday I bought some 'Quorn bacon' and ate the whole lot in one evening. I put it in fresh white rolls with butter and Dijon mustard.

Clewsr - what was wrong with the lasagne? Nasty sauce? Hard pasta-shelves?
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

Breeze - don't get me started. Like almost everything else in the company I work for the catering has been outsourced [including me next month, ho hum]. essentially this means the prices have doubled, the portions halved, and you now serve yourself. Allegedly the food has improved, but not the lasagne, no that has not improved. The main problem was a nasty cheap tasting source.

On a brighter note they will still make you a baget. My favorate is roast beef on dry white, with lashings of horseradish, and all the salad. i'll have that tomorrow.

Have you tried the Quorn Meatballs Breeze? They are a little bizarre, but suprisingly nice. when I tried pretend bacon it looked and trasted like died cardboard.
twentysixdollars
Known user

Post by twentysixdollars »

I had some Korean. I almost regret it, but the sweet-sour cabbage (Kimchi?) was really nice. I would have made lunch at home but it would have meant getting out of bed a half hour earlier and missing some fun. Tomorrow I'll paper-bag things, perhaps with some salmon salad.
The Breeze
Known user

Post by The Breeze »

clewsr wrote:
Have you tried the Quorn Meatballs Breeze? They are a little bizarre, but suprisingly nice. when I tried pretend bacon it looked and trasted like died cardboard.
Meatballs? Not yet but I will;
"On top of old smokey,
All covered in cheese..."

Vegie bacon looks like the innersole of a childs shoe. The taste is probably the same too!
Haloumi is much better
twentysixdollars
Known user

The Breeze wrote:
Meatballs? Not yet but I will;
"On top of old smokey,
All covered in cheese..."
Hey, Breeze, don't bugger up an American classic. It goes:

On top of spaghetti,
All covered in cheese,
I lost my poor meatball
When somebody sneezed.

It rolled off the table,
And onto the floor,
And then my poor meatball
Rolled out of the door.

It rolled in the garden,
Then under a bush,
And then my poor meatball
Was nothing but smoosh.

The smoosh was as tasty
As tasty could be,
And early next summer,
It became into a tree.

The tree was all covered
With fresh pasta moss,
It grew lovely meatballs,
And tomato sauce.
So if you eat spaghetti,
All covered with cheese,
Hold on to your meatballs,
And don't ever sneeze.

Author unknown (at least by me)
a beautiful noise
Known user

Post by a beautiful noise »

This is absolutely amazing, I have been thinking about what I am going to have for lunch all day today. I am going out for Japanese, and I already know what I am going to order, chicken gyoza, with miso soupand cabbage salad mmmmmmmmmmmmmm, just two more hours.

I try to treat myself at least once a week and go out for lunch. I usually go home and have cheese filled hotdogs, thats right cheese filled, or a cold sandwich, but no not today my friends, for today I shall FEAST!!!

xxxshonnxxx
helm
Known user

Post by helm »

i had some of the veggie bacon (or, if you will fake-on) for my tea. quite like it, bit like eating warm frazzles, for the uninitiated! quorn meatballs are pretty damn nice too, but i'd split the pack with someone.

as for my lunch, today's my day release to college and i got to the canteen late. lumbered with cheese and onion sandwiches- glad i wasn't sat next to me this afternoon!
SpaceLine
Known user

Post by SpaceLine »

The Breeze
Known user

Post by The Breeze »

Hey 26$, I wouldn't eat those meatballs if someone has sneezed on them. Could be Asian bird Flu!

helm - Cheese and onion sandwiches. I've been there mate. I feel your pain!

On the question of lunch today, I've had mozarella, basil and tomato in a grannary bap with a packet of Walkers crisps.Yummy, yummy!
Gotta treat myself once a week at least!

Just realised that all you yankee-doodle dandies and Mooseshaggers are probably still having breakfast. Blueberry pancakes with maple-syrup at a guess or maybe waffles or 'eggs over easy'. Don't any of you guys just eat Weetabix?
a beautiful noise
Known user

no but i think my gran, bless her soul ate that crap!

xxxshonnxxx
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

The realisation that making your own lunch saves you a shitload of money came to me about 6 years ago.

I buy these Ciabattas (although they aren't really that) from Ainsley's bakery (found in many an English high street) and add Pepperami, sliced Lededamer cheese and mustard, which I've done for years now. The recent breakthrough, however, is avocado, and this is a serious discovery - I've always been a fan of it but adding it to a simple sandwich transforms everything.

Try it - (bacon, Brie etc are ideal) it makes a simple sandwich a gastrononic triumph.
The Breeze
Known user

Post by The Breeze »

On the subject of making your own lunch, I would like to toss a couple of poseurs into the 'chatatouille';

1)Tomatoes - We love 'em! But unless you use sun-dried how do you stop a sandwich going soggy? I've heard some folk freeze the sarnie the night before but that must lose some flavour. Yes, you could take the tomato seperately and add it to your sandwich at the appointed time but that seems like a lot of hassle.

2) Egg/ Egg mayonaise - let's face it, eggs stink. But by God, thems eggs is good. How can you enjoy an eggy lunch without offending work colleagues?

And on the subject of cereal, we've had 'Weetabix' called crap, but is there a good cereal?
Alpen? Crunchy-nut Cornflakes?, Lucky Charms?, Golden Grahams?, Fruitfull?
twentysixdollars
Known user

Edit: Just ignore this post.
Last edited by twentysixdollars on Sun Feb 15, 2004 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
twentysixdollars
Known user

Runcie's the cook here, but I'd be willing to give these a shot.
The Breeze wrote: 1)Tomatoes - We love 'em! But unless you use sun-dried how do you stop a sandwich going soggy?
Slice thinly, and then roll in a small leaf of well-dried romaine lettuce. The result looks strangely like a cross between a pickle, a cocktail weenie, and a joint. Regardless, you get the best of both flavors and the tomatoes neither leak nor have their flavor degrade. This can sit in a lunchbag for four or five hours.
2) Egg/ Egg mayonaise - let's face it, eggs stink. But by God, thems eggs is good. How can you enjoy an eggy lunch without offending work colleagues?
Mayo's generally not as offensive to those around as the person eating it would think. But as for eggs alone, unless they're hardboiled or well-mixed with stronger-smelling veggies, you'll pretty much have to avoid them. It's the same reason why I always replace tuna with salmon if I want a fish salad. Some oils are thicker and tougher to stand than others.
will this do?
Known user

Post by will this do? »

1. Tomatoes - sundried tomatoes ain't tomatoes...they are a joke perpetrated on the English by Tuscan peasants as revenge for all the twats who clog up their beautiful part of 'Old Yurp' every summer.

(apparently (in a similar vein) the Ciabatta was invented by those well known Italian master bakers Mssrs Marks and Spencer, when they had to invent an Italian version of a Baguette...this is true)

2. Fridges - is YOUR office full of people who put their sandwiches in the office fridge first thing in the morning? I mean, if they don't want to TASTE their sandwiches, that's their own affair, but a) that leaves no room for all the stuff that needs to be in there (ground coffee, milk (shudder), b) do they really think their sandwiches will become poisonous if left at room temperature for a few hours? and most pertinently c) we all know that these self same bastards are the ones who forget they've brought their lunch to work for several months, and the fridge becomes a seething mass of putrid baked matter, dairy produce and cooked meats...I mean, would you like to see their houses?

3. Soggy sandwiches - get over it - you made em? You know the love/fine ingredients/etc etc that went into it? Then learn to love a bit of sogginess (!)

4. Smelly eggs - you care about what your colleagues think? After what they did to the fridge, they can go fuck themselves. They do taste great, and the smell doesn't linger at all. Do like I do, and partake of a little post prandial excercise. By the time you're back at your desk after a stroll round the block, it'll smell fresh as a daisy.

5. Alpen - sorry, but that is museli for toddlers (over sweet). I am presently enjoying the great taste of the Sainsbury's Finest range of muselis (mango & almond variety this week, but the 12 fruit and nut variety also does 'exactly what it says on the pack').
The Breeze
Known user

Post by The Breeze »

thanks for the tips 26$ and Will this do.

Romaine lettuce sounds like a sure-shot.
Will This Do? wrote :
2. Fridges - is YOUR office full of people who put their sandwiches in the office fridge first thing in the morning? I mean, if they don't want to TASTE their sandwiches, that's their own affair, but a) that leaves no room for all the stuff that needs to be in there (ground coffee, milk (shudder), b) do they really think their sandwiches will become poisonous if left at room temperature for a few hours? and most pertinently c) we all know that these self same bastards are the ones who forget they've brought their lunch to work for several months, and the fridge becomes a seething mass of putrid baked matter, dairy produce and cooked meats...I mean, would you like to see their houses?
Yes, people do store them in the fridge to get that 'chiller'effect. Bizarrely in one of our other offices, people were leaving ham salad sandwiches in the fridge and someone was going into them and stealing the meat out of them! I ask you!

So we've solved the sandwich solution but what do you have as an accompaigniament?;

A)a crescent of crisps
B)a piece of fruit
C) Cherry Coke or the like
D) A kit-Kat, Tracker, Time Out, Taxi bar or other such biscuit du chocolate
helm
Known user

Post by helm »

breeze,

on the cereal front may i say i used to love cinnamon toast crunch. however, they got brought out by nestle and had a name change to cinnamon grahams and i don't get them no more. dangerously sugary first thing in the morning.

as for sandwich accompaniment- has to be crisps everytime. the helm house's current favourite crisp like snack is blazin' barbeque jaco-bites. they're like mini cream crackers smoothered in msg and flavouring. nice!
a beautiful noise
Known user

how about soup and sandwich, then maybe grapes or banana. me i can't eat chocolate, it hurts my teeth, strange yes i know. as well as crisps (chips overhere), too much oil, put if i have to eat them its pringles all the way.

soup and salad, and piece of fruit, ahhh but what too drink, for me wash it all down with a tall glass of vitamin d enriched, whole milk. and can you believe it i am skinny as a rail. best eating.

xxxshonnxxx
The Breeze
Known user

Post by The Breeze »

Hey helm, I'm gonna check out those jaco-bites. Sounds like any party could be livened up by the odd jaco-bite n' mackeson.Cheers for the tip.

abn -are Pringles reconstituted potato crisp(chip)?Their salt n' vinegar flavour is very good.
Soup and sandwich may lead me into the temptation of dipping. Should the bread be chunky or slim for the sandwich? Rye?, malted?,unleavened?
a beautiful noise
Known user

ohh yes breeze, the ones that come in the long tube shaped container. they give me heart burn, but boy are they worth it.

come on, you have to dip it, perferably thick cut rye, oh so gently toasted, maybe in to a nice lentel. time to leave work and make dinner, oh no, this could make for a whole new thread.

xxxshonnxxx

and don't forget about the after meal cigarrette. christ, nothing beats that.
The Breeze
Known user

Post by The Breeze »

Today - mushroom and tarragon pate on petit pains (rolls).