My Bloody Valentine

For anything else...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, spzretent, MODLAB, NightWash

unkle_karl
Known user

My Bloody Valentine

Post by unkle_karl »

I've been reading rumours of new Kevin Shields material recently (with Lost In Translation etc), and was wondering.....did anyone round these parts have the luck to ever see MBV play live? I'm thinking esp around the 91-92 period, where pretty much every gig ended with a massive version of 'You Made Me Realise' (I read an interview with Shields last night, where he said the noise part went on for around 40 minutes once!). Any thought shared on gigs that anyone saw would be much appreciated, a bit before my time I'm afraid.
apesgrapes
Known user

Post by apesgrapes »

i saw them in switzerland in 92 and the track definitely went on for longer than expected, maybe 20 minutes.

also old enough to have seen them in the 80s, colm(?) sort of half smashing his kit in an pokey upstairs room in a pub in newcastle.

i might know your dad.
Muscles
Known user

Post by Muscles »

hey dude

i ben bangin this BLOODY drum for so long.

whatever he does...

i am there yo.

HOLLA BACK.

m.
helm
Known user

Post by helm »

i saw my bloody valentine on the loveless tour at the ritz in manchester, where i returned for the first time last month. great gig- you made me realise lasted a good 25 minutes 'soon' knocked my socks off. apart from that it's all a little fazed, although i did have a lovely pair of badges in claret and blue (a must for any burnley fan- sadly, i don't support them). on that tour, a lot of the support acts were quite 'cool', sadly not in manchester. their next tour (i think) was the rollercoaster tour with the mary chain, but i don't think they played for too long on those dates.
my mate dave still wears his my bloody valentine tee shirt from the isn't anything tour- it was once black, it is now grey with a lot of holes in it.
slim
Known user

Post by slim »

Muscles wrote:hey dude

i ben bangin this BLOODY drum for so long.

whatever he does...

i am there yo.

HOLLA BACK.

m.
Hey! Muscles, there's a cool band from Detroit called PS I Love You, who've done a track called "Where the f**k is Kevin Shields?" you should check it out.

It's a shame the main man is such a lazy so and so because the next album is waaaaay over due!!!!

Repect!

Slim!
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

I saw them on that Rollercaoster tour - the one spiritualized should have been on instead of blur - I do remember the last track which was probably you made me realise being epicly long. I think the bands were only on for 45 minutes but the last track must have been around 15 minutes. A bloody good noise as I remember.
veiko
Known user

Post by veiko »

and just when many of us kindly hold our breath while waiting for the Spacemen 3 & Spiritualized book, a book about MBV "Loveless" is coming out:

http://www.continuumbooks.com/book_deta ... 86CU8&name

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... s&n=507846
man
Known user

Post by man »

..two mbv anthologies and a dvd planned too!

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/news/04-02/09.shtml
veiko
Known user

Post by veiko »

will this do?
Known user

Post by will this do? »

Saw them twice...

Reading Rock '89 (Friday afternoon). Missed Gaye Bykers on Acid (ask your dad), Spacemen 3 (did I tell you I've got a tape of that?), and then went for a bit of a wander whilst MBV dazzled everyone except me (a bit like Chris Barrus's Spacemen 3 story on his website)...

Cambridge Corn Exchange in 1992 - the loveless tour: Support Mercury Rev and The God Machine (who I really fucking loved BTW - I saw them 4 times in their brief career...so sad). Paid FULL attention that time. I'm sure they did "you made me realise" with the huge wall of nonsense at the end, as reported by everyone else, but having heard the mp3s referenced above, I am sure they did a song that broke down IN THE MIDDLE, as opposed to at the end. It was Feed Me with Yr Kiss, and the bit where it goes (forgive me) "neeer ne nerr neeer ne ner ner NA NA NA NA", the NA NA NA's just carried on for the ten minutes it took for everyone to get nosebleeds, and then with some invisible signal, off they went again.

Missed Rollercoaster - who was on that: JAMC, MBV, Dinosaur - now there's a band you don't hear enough about - the 1st 3 albums must make them God or something...and pre Blur (that is Blur BEFORE parklife)
helm
Known user

Post by helm »

never listened to the gaye bikers much- but i did have a great album that had something to do with them called pernicious nonsense, came out in 1990- any ideas who (or what) that was all about.
burdman72
Known user

Post by burdman72 »

hey helm pernicious nonsense was done by gaye bykers under the name pfx or purple fluid exchange, basically it was the bykers doing their usual thing with pseudonyms, they did gigs as lesbian dopeheads on mopeds. their albums were pretty shite but live they were awesome, saw them in manchester supported by thee hypnotics. what a gig! also if anyone is into sigur ros then check out http://www.ocnos.com, its a spanish site but has some great downloads
mbv
Known user

Post by mbv »

I saw them at the ULU in london, in 91 or 92. it was just before Primal Scream's Come Together came out cos I remember talking to Bobby and when he wasn't sucking the whizz from his fingernails he was telling us how about the new single. I can't remeber a thing about the Valentine's though, too drunk by then. :roll:

any chance of getting a copy of that Spacemen tape from Reading?

I heard rumours MBV where digging up unfinished tapes from the Loveless era and doing something with them in regards to a new Valentine's record!??
"Hot damn! Let us rumble, keep going and don't slow down ... lets have a little fun ..."
- Hunter S Thompson
AllyD
New user

ULU 1990

Post by AllyD »

I saw them at ULU in 1990 and, ever since, have attributed my partial deafness to the 30 minute* You Made Me Realise. They held one note for about 25 of those minutes, with Colm repeatedly attacking a cymbal with this manic expression on his face. I'd sue Shields but the gig was too good.

*Or so it seemed!
Last edited by AllyD on Fri Feb 27, 2004 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
man
Known user

Post by man »

mbv wrote:I saw them at the ULU in london, in 91 or 92. it was just before Primal Scream's Come Together came out cos I remember talking to Bobby and when he wasn't sucking the whizz from his fingernails he was telling us how about the new single. I can't remeber a thing about the Valentine's though, too drunk by then. :roll:

any chance of getting a copy of that Spacemen tape from Reading?

I heard rumours MBV where digging up unfinished tapes from the Loveless era and doing something with them in regards to a new Valentine's record!??
see the link i posted above, glider is being released on one box with a lot of earlier 80s stuff on the other. two box sets proposed
kidmarine
New user

Post by kidmarine »

theres a japan only compilation in april : remastered ep tracks plus unreleased material. if you search http://www.cdjapan.co.jp you will find it there at a reasonable price... good place for japanese stuff ...
plus you can specify any item bought as a 'gift' so the value of the item can be up to £32 before youre subject to customs charges... saves buying overpriced stuff on ebay or some other retailers site : think this cd works out at around £15 plus postage...
mbv
Known user

Post by mbv »

what's the track listing?

isn't 'everything' gonna be on the DVD ??
"Hot damn! Let us rumble, keep going and don't slow down ... lets have a little fun ..."
- Hunter S Thompson
kidmarine
New user

Post by kidmarine »

Disc 1 - EPs:
1. You Made Me Realise
2. Slow
3. Thorn
4. Cigarette In Your Bed
5. Drive It All Over Me
6. Feed Me With Your Kiss
7. I Believe
8. Emptiness Inside
9. I Need No Trust
10. Soon
11. Glider
12. Don't Ask Why
13. Off Your Face
14. To Here Knows When
15. Swallow
16. Honey Power
17. Moon Song

Disc 2 - Unreleased:
1. Instrumental #2
2. Instrumental #1
3. Cowboy Song
4. Good For You
5. Sugar
6. Kevin Song
7. Belinda Song
8. Glider (Long)
kidmarine
New user

Post by kidmarine »

...and you can buy this 2 cd set from cdjapan.co.jp for about £15... be careful as some places want ALOT more for this (up to 3 times as much!)...
waterpistol
New user

Post by waterpistol »

Not sure how everyone feels about bands whose sound is overtly influenced by another band, but there's a guy in California who's got a band called Electro Amp Cynic and he's definitely doing the MBV thing allright, but it's good! I found out about him before the new Shields songs came out... I admit, it was nice to hear something MBV-ish.
veiko
Known user

Post by veiko »

My latest MBVish experience was a japanese band called Guitar and their release "Sunkissed". veryveryvery valentinish with even cleverer beats.

review:

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/record-re ... ssed.shtml

and there is The Ecstasy of St. Theresa.
their 1994 release "Susurrate" is 99% valentinish.
will this do?
Known user

Post by will this do? »

I've just found the imaginatively titled (it does exactly what it says on the tin) disc on Amazon (people who bought MY BLOODY VALENTINE also bought ... Ride, Chapterhouse, Sowdive, Lush ... Northside ...) for about £22, reeased in early May (orders from the DA, apparently).

Not as exciting as ordering it directly from Nippon, but on the other hand, not as exciting.
lemhawklord
Known user

Post by lemhawklord »

[quote="clewsr"]I saw them on that Rollercaoster tour - the one spiritualized should have been on instead of blur - I do remember the last track which was probably you made me realise being epicly long. I think the bands were only on for 45 minutes but the last track must have been around 15 minutes. A bloody good noise as I remember.[/quote]
Yeah I saw them on that tour too, with JAMC, BLUR and DINOSAUR JR.It was in the south of England, people were leaving the auditorium during you made me realise, it was a unique moment in musical history. Glad I'm not the only one who witnessed it and love it...
If you want to get into it you've got to get out of it
mag

Post by mag »

Saw mbv on both the isnt anything tour & the loveless tour.
I thought they were miles better on the isnt anything tour tbh.
The 20 min YMMR was a bit shit - not up there with Suicide for sure.