Glasgow record shops?

For anything else...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, spzretent, MODLAB, NightWash

sunny
Site Admin

Glasgow record shops?

Post by sunny »

I'm off to Glasgow for the weekend. Does anyone know any good record shops there?
'Come and rock and roll me over, Let's get this damn job over.'
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

You gotta check out 'Missing Records' which has moved recently so now its right underneath the Central Station Bridge - right in the heart of town so its very easy to find. Its actually opposite one of the entrances to central. Mainly second hand but I always find some good stuff there - last visit yielded the 'Medication' record with a poster for very little!

1 minute away, on Union St, is Fopp which you may well be used to but its not a bad store. Low vinyl selection now though.

There's also Avalanche records on Dundas St - near Queen St station - haven't been there for a while but always usually had a good selection.

And Sunny, have a good weekend! It's gotten a lot colder here though
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Monorail Records (inside Mono Cafe), Kings Street. 5 minute walk from main pedestrian shopping area. Also about 2 mins from 13th Note bar.
Best record shop in Glasgow.

Avalanche Records. Not sure of street, but it next door to Queens Street train station which sits on George Square. 2mins from George Square.

Missing Records. Oswald Street. 2 min walk from Central Station.
Not what it used to be, but still ok.

Hope this helps... happy hunting!
sunny
Site Admin

Post by sunny »

Good stuff! Thank you guys, I can't wait now. And I'll pack my winter coat... :D
'Come and rock and roll me over, Let's get this damn job over.'
anorthernsoul
Known user

Post by anorthernsoul »

Monorail Records (inside Mono Cafe), Kings Street. 5 minute walk from main pedestrian shopping area. Also about 2 mins from 13th Note bar.
Best record shop in Glasgow.
just to second that: i had a day in glasgow and going to mono was brilliant. you can spend lots of money and then sit down and have a cup of tea. if you need to find out how to get there, i'm pretty sure it's near the thirteenth note. i've heard good things about avalanche, too, so i guess check that out as well ...
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Thirds! Mono is ace. Can't believe I forgot about that one = the food is excellent, the pints are lovely and as Laz says its also probably the best record shop! A lot of psyche, garage and soul, and a lot on vinyl too.
Shaun
Known user

Re:

Post by Shaun »

Yes, I agree about Mono. It's nice to just sit outside on a summer evening drinking a few a pints, really relaxing and chilled out. I did that and forgot to go in the record store.

And don't forget to visit Volcanic Tongue which is along Argyle St. They sell an amazing collection of self released and hard to find material.
What more can the heart of a man desire?
Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

Re: Glasgow record shops?

Post by Stuart X.Hunter »

There's always the FOPP up the West End and there was another one up there too down some shady lane, Lost in Music (or something like that) Also I'm sure Oxfam have a music outlet there now too...

Enjoy but make sure you go too Mono and Volcanic Tongue

Best,

Stuart
Shoulders back, smash it