Brain Donor

For anything else...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, spzretent, MODLAB, NightWash

runcible
Site Admin

Brain Donor

Post by runcible »

I've just been exposed to the delights of a Julian Cope side project called Brain Donor (thanks Dave!). The link is that it features Doggen from Spiritualized as well as Cope himself on bass. The stuff I've heard is generally very heavy pounding punky acid rock, loads of fuzz, wah-wah, phasers and generally lots of the kind of things that I'm particularly into. A few long slabs of distorted psych kind of complete things - one track called She's Gotta Have It is 20 minutes long but well worth the ride.

Can't find much about this on the net even though there is a web site. I think Cope felt he could push a few boundaries with this project and some of the music is very good indeed. It perhaps lacks the final polish of bands who make this sort of music day in day out (Acid Mothers, Heads, Bardo Pond) but I've enjoyed what I've heard so far. Ought to be pretty devastating live. Anyone know anything more?
Wah - Wah
Known user

Post by Wah - Wah »

they have released two albums so far, the second one being a live album + new stuff. go to headheritage.co.uk for more info.

I sa them live in 2000, they all wear make - up and stuff but they rock. Kevin, drummer of Spz, is also the drummer in that band.

Cope and Pierce have or had the same manager so the musicians are swapped if you like.
stevie
Known user

Post by stevie »

Well this clears up a several year long mystery for me. I bought a blood donor single several years back cos it was in the spiritualized section and it was marked spiritualized on the price sticker. Got it home played it once, thought it was crap and couldn't find any connection spz. I've never heard it since and I'm not even sure if I kept. I'll try and dig it up tomorrow and give it another spin. If Runcible likes it then it's worth another blast.
Wah - Wah
Known user

Post by Wah - Wah »

I don`t know if you guys are aware, but what Spz are today is basically the former Julian Cope band.

Doggen is in Brain Donor and the Cope band, has been for 13 years or so,
Thighpaulsandra is Queen Elizabeth along with Cope, and has been in the Cope band since 1994, Kevin Bales is in Brain Donor, Jason`s former guitarist Mike Mooney played for Cope in the 80s/90s and Jason`s former bass play Martin Schellard worked with Julian on his 1995 "20 mother" album.

Julian once said that Jason ripped off all his great musicians because Julian did not tour for a long time.

As along-time Cope fan, I heard of Spz only when Thighpaulsandra joined in in 1997.

However, all these bands / projects sound radically different from each other so I cannot advise to buy them all.

Wah - Wah