Spiritualized Ebay Addict, please make me feel better about

For anything else...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, spzretent, MODLAB, NightWash

mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

Fuzzhead wrote:Mojo - what way does a phono stage work?
It has 2 purposes:

i) takes the raw signal from the cartridge and applys the RIAA equalisation curve to balance out the frequencies to return the signal to sound the same as it was meant to originally, if you click through that link there's a good explanation of why this is needed...vinyl doesn't cope with low frequencies well - a good example of this was when Massive Attack released one of their later albums and couldn't put it on vinyl as it had stereo, out-of-phase basslines, however at those very low frequencies vinyl can only cope with a mono signal.

ii) the (analogue) signal from a CD player going into an amp is about 2V but the output from a moving magnet phono cart is more like 5mV and a moving coil cart output is around 0.45mV. Hence the signal needs to be boosted to suit the regular amp input expectations. Because these are such low-level signals it's best to have both these stages done in a separate container, away from big tordial transformers and transistors etc as the potential for interference makes it likely this delicate process will suffer. In addition these output characteristics of both MM and MC carts can vary and so on mid-high end phono stages you are able to tweak various parameters to ensure the treatment of the delicate signal is tailored exactly to your specific cart, though this is more important for MC carts.

Hope this helps!
I'm like Evel Knievel, I get paid for the attempt. I didn't promise this shit would be good!
Dave Chappelle
dselevan
Known user

Post by dselevan »

That sounds pretty awesome Fuzzhead. My player is a Stanton, it is for DJs and the bass really rumbles my room. Would this kind of filter help reduce this? Sometimes it is too much, sometimes it is good.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Cheers for the advice on the record player front Mojo.

Going back to the subject of collecting vinyl and knowing how much to pay for a given record....is this a good price or should it be going for more?:-

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... &rd=1&rd=1

How do you guys know how much to pay for each release or what makes a bargain? Just curious before I get in out of my depth.

Edit: I guess what I'm really asking is, is there a price guide that is worth using or is it just getting used to knowing what each record goes for?
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

From what I understand, that's a very good price for that record. I'm actually quite jealous of that person...
dselevan
Known user

Post by dselevan »

The price guide that everyone refers to is totally out of wack with today's prices which make no sense at all. Examples:
I got Spacemen 3 Perfect Prescription on Genius Records for cheaper than Pure Phase which came out many years later on a much larger record label. Sometimes you get great bargains when no one is paying attention. If you get emotionally wrapped up in an item, you are going to spend a lot of money. I think you have to decide what the record is worth to you, and than stick to that. Try not to get into a bidding war. For me, I've never seen some of these records in US stores, so I have no idea what they are really worth, but I know what they are worth to me. I am very happy that I have FUI on vinyl, it is a great record. Same thing with all the Spacemen 3 and Spiritualized records I have. They were all worth it. Bid with your heart, not with the price guide.

David
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

My first venture into buying Spiritualized vinyl has resulted in this:-

Have I got myself a bargain or have I just proved that I'm not cut out for this game?
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

Ads wrote:My first venture into buying Spiritualized vinyl has resulted in this:-

Have I got myself a bargain or have I just proved that I'm not cut out for this game?
I'd say that was cheap - don't know how many were made (possibly v cheap if not many pressed) and as a record it's much classier than the CD, plus the songs are ordered to kick off with the mighty Cheapster.

Also you get a nice big pic of John Coxon looking a bit shady!
I'm like Evel Knievel, I get paid for the attempt. I didn't promise this shit would be good!
Dave Chappelle
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

My Amazing Grace box-set turned up on Wednesday and it looks great (just need a record player to listen to it now) and the 7" red vinyl Medication turned up in the post yesterday. I can see what all the fuss is about now on the collection vinyl front....am I turning into a geek or what?!

Couple of vinyl related questions for you....firstly, is the version of Run (as picutured on this site's discography section), the 12" version as the only images I've seen of it are blue with white figures? Secondly, what is the difference, if any, of the first 7" Anyway You Want me listed and the second one (listed after Feel So Sad - June 1991) or is this an error?

Now I've started on this whole ridiculous collection vinyl mission there are probably going to be quite a few of these silly questions so apologies in advance.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

There are 2 versions of the Run 12".
One is blue w/glow in the dark Angel & Devil.
The other is red cover w/blue Angel & Devil.
Re: Anyway That You Want Me 7". The first release is the orig UK 7" and the reissue was on Sub Pop in the US w/completely diff cover.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
dselevan
Known user

Post by dselevan »

Vinyl does sound better.
I reccomend starting with Ladies and Gentlemen and Pure Phase era stuff because they are pressed on better vinyl. The Lazer Guided Melodies era records are pressed on vinyl that is thin as paper and often looks cool but sounds crummy.

I have the glow in the dark Run. The back of the Run 12" has the inverted picture.

I found a webiste where you can buy the early stuff if you don't already have it and want to spend about three times what it is worth:

eil.com/Esprit Records & CD's
http://eil.com/shop/artistlist.asp?sort ... ritualized
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

eil.com...the eternal optimists price-wise...I'd avoid that store like fuck knows...too may adjectives to describe them.

eBay or Amazon are much better as long as you take your time...and back up a little bit...
Dave Chappelle
dselevan
Known user

Post by dselevan »

I got all my records for much cheaper than that site, but ebay takes some time.
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

dselevan wrote:I got all my records for much cheaper than that site, but ebay takes some time.
...so back up a little bit :idea:
Dave Chappelle
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Have been keeping an eye on this:-

What do I do???? I feel an urge to bid for this but, even though I know this seems a good deal compared to some of the other Pure Phase records I've seen, it still seems an awful lot of money. Do these things come round very often, should I concentrate on getting cheaper, less rare releases first or will this and the vinyl releases of LGM & L&GWAFIS just get harder to obtain and thus even more expensive?

I mean look at this, am I out of my depth here or what?:-

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Spiritualized-Lad ... dZViewItem
Shaun
Known user

Post by Shaun »

Ads wrote:Have been keeping an eye on this:-

What do I do???? I feel an urge to bid for this but, even though I know this seems a good deal compared to some of the other Pure Phase records I've seen, it still seems an awful lot of money.

Personally i'd place a bid on it if i were you, it looks like a good price for a great album.

But here's a tip for you Ads, sharpen your snipping skills and play your cards closer and you'll get some amazing bargains, the highest bidder might now know your intentions.... 8)
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Yeah, I was thinking that I wasn't exactly being secretive on the whole E-Bay thing. Anyway, think I'm going to swerve it to be honest...its now reached nearly £30 inc postage and there's bound to be a bit of activity as the auction comes to a close. Going to concentrate on the bargains for a while before going in for some of the rare Spiritualized vinyl I think.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Ads:
You just have to know what your limit is and stick to it. Ebay thrives on people getting in bidding wars. As a seller I love it. As a buyer I will usually stick a bid on it and see what happens. You just have to resist the urge to go over your limit set. Seems like there are always items of interest to help fill out your Spz catalog.
You never know, as evidenced by this thread, sometimes things fly under the radar and you wind up getting them for a bargain.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
veiko
Known user

Post by veiko »

Ads - i was thinking to say that if you start your vinyl collecting from Sonic Boom's solo album "Spectrum" and/or Magnetophone tune remixed by Sonic Boom called "Benny's trip" - then you will be hooked on vinyl hunting PHOREVER. huge&nice covers with colour vinyl inside is a candy for a music freak.
Spamuel L. Jackson

Post by Spamuel L. Jackson »

spzretent wrote:As a buyer I will usually stick a bid on it and see what happens.
Never. I always come in late. 5 seconds before the end so nobody can land one back, and I have a window open with an online seconds-clock counting it down. Depending on the item I always bid my max between £20-£70 above the 'current bid' too, so I can be 100% sure of beating whatever ceiling the other fucker has set for himself.
Fuzzhead
Known user

Post by Fuzzhead »

This was a nice bargain for the lucky winning bidder:

mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

veiko wrote:Ads - i was thinking to say that if you start your vinyl collecting from Sonic Boom's solo album "Spectrum" and/or Magnetophone tune remixed by Sonic Boom called "Benny's trip" - then you will be hooked on vinyl hunting PHOREVER. huge&nice covers with colour vinyl inside is a candy for a music freak.
I haven't got it to hand, but I'm sure my copy of Spectrum (with the pinwheel cover art) is just regular black vinyl...did Silvertone release alternative versions?

The finest looking vinyl in my collection I think is the How You Satisfy Me singles...I bought the 7" and liked the look so much I bought the 12" as well soon after. Never played them, just in case! Having spent a bit of money on records despite not having even medium term plans to be able to play them myself, I'm now limiting myself buying coloured vinyl only for the time being...with the exception of Pure Phase Tones for DJs, though I'd be happy with a CD copy of that for the moment.

I think the addictive nature is pretty evident from a lot of the recent absurd prices Spz-related stuff has gone for on eBay!
Dave Chappelle
veiko
Known user

Post by veiko »

mojo filters wrote:I haven't got it to hand, but I'm sure my copy of Spectrum (with the pinwheel cover art) is just regular black vinyl...did Silvertone release alternative versions?
THE pinwheel cover IS the drugfueled mindbending machine. (i did mention that a heavy cocktail of coverdesing and vinylcolour will melt your brain)
i had nothing else on my mind. it's just a crystal clear idea of a GOOD album cover, cover of a VINYL release. doing the same for a cd release? nope, even LEGO wouldn't do it during the next hundred years.
Spamuel L. Jackson

mojo filters wrote:I think the addictive nature is pretty evident from a lot of the recent absurd prices Spz-related stuff has gone for on eBay!
That's one of the things that fucks me off about ebay. A lot of the stuff I've been looking for in the last 3 years or so turns up once in a blue moon. So when something finally surfaces on an 8 day auction and a bunch of loons spend days 1-5 'outbidding' each other like each day of auction = a round in a fuckin boxing match, hiking prices well over actual worth, its annoying as hell. I wish more people actually waited til late (or at least relatively late) before bidding at all, since most of the dicks who spend the first few days furiously bidding til smoke is rising from beneath their fingers don't even win (probably cos they've priced themselves out).
Spamuel L. Jackson

Here's a thought -- some of you have sold on ebay, so you might have an idea.

Is it a practice at all for sellers to bid on their own auctions from different accounts in order to hike prices up? It'd only work on things that were well sought after, I know, but has anyone heard of that? And do ebay have anything in place to stop it going on?
andyblacktoo
Known user

Post by andyblacktoo »

i've finally come a little closer to completing my collection. bit of an oddity, but I never had a copy of the 12" of the electric mainline ep. someone gave me an ex jonny mattock mint promo last night, so i'm nearly there.
dselevan
Known user

Post by dselevan »

That was one of my first Spiritualized records and a great one.
dselevan
Known user

Post by dselevan »

I just got that Fierce 7" for $12 Buy it now. Not bad..
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Can't belive this:-

Bloody paid out £23 for this a couple of weeks and its not even in that good a condition. Fucking typical.
Spamuel L. Jackson

Ads wrote:Bloody paid out £23 for this a couple of weeks and its not even in that good a condition. Fucking typical.
Drag, man. I've had a few of those, quite a few in my favor too. What goes around...

You started on Neil vinyl yet?
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Spamuel L. Jackson wrote:You started on Neil vinyl yet?
Not yet, but surely it can't be any more expensive than collecting Spz vinyl? Was at record fair down here yesterday and couldn't find any SPz vinyl. There was quite a bit of Young though, lots for £5 or £10 a record. I'm tempted to give up on the Spz vinyl really as I'm never realistically going to be able to warrant these kind of prices:-

The guy that listed this had about 6 or 7 rare Spz records going about the same time. He made a fortune. One person bought this, Pure Phase, FUI and LGM off of him. Total of over £200!!!
dselevan
Known user

Post by dselevan »

That guy Derek loves to sell expensive. I got that record for $20 USD I think with Pipers (The Pink Floyd Record) included. I got most of the Neil Young records from my parents, so I don't think they are very rare. My parents didn't have that much rare stuff that I know of, pretty mainstream. The reality is that they made more records in the '60s and '70s than in the '90s. In the '90s, vinyl became a one off thing and than when out of print. I have two copies of Lazer Guided Melodies on vinyl and they both sound like crp. Do you guys know why Jason decided to go with 45RPM for this record? Is there any evidence that 45RPM sounds better or worse than the standard 33RPM? My new one looks unplayed and still sounds worse than CD. Does anyone know if the album was remastered at all between the first and second CD pressings?
toomilk
Known user

Re: Spiritualized Ebay Addict, please make me feel better about

Post by toomilk »

Speaking of addictions....

I just got this off ebay. Didn't know that it existed on cassette.

I'm Kevin and I'm an addict. :twisted:
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

Quite dedicated!

If that's the one just finished on UK eBay, to protect your investment I'd make sure to store it like a filmreel, or there may well be nothing left in a few years time.

I'm guessing they are quite rare, can't imagine many folks buying cassettes in '97, unless they only listened to music in the car...do you know how many were made?
Dave Chappelle
warmgun.
Known user

Post by warmgun. »

Good lord, is that cassette for real? :shock: It looks so.... foreign.

I bought my last cassette in '93, which I always considered late... I can't imagine them even producing them in '97! I worked in a fairly mainstream music store in Toronto at the time and don't remember stocking them anymore... How times have changed!

On a somewhat related note, I still use film for the bulk of my photography... I love my Contax G2 too much to make the official switch! Well, that and I suspect I won't be able to afford the digital equivalent!
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

I'm not sure of how many were made, but I don't think very many. I was researching some Spz tape stuff, and it looks like they even have copies of the RAH album on cassette (!?). I've seen pure phase (at least the sampler) on cassette and also own lazer guided melodies on cassette.

http://www.amazon.com/Pure-Phase-Spirit ... 08&sr=1-11

http://www.amazon.com/Royal-Albert-Hall ... 78&sr=1-30

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Music_Cassettes__ ... .m20.l1116

While writing this post, I think Taang! pressed it (http://www.taang.com/cassettek-s.html ), meaning I might have been ripped off......... :(
Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

Post by Stuart X.Hunter »

toomilk wrote:Speaking of addictions....

I just got this off ebay. Didn't know that it existed on cassette.

I'm Kevin and I'm an addict. :twisted:
Hey Kev, that's a sweet thing you won. I liked cassetes; far nicer than vinyl/cd...just stick them in your shirt top pocket and off you go...pity they were neither durable or sounded that great.
Shoulders back, smash it
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

Well, good new: the LAG cassette that Tang has is a 2-song promo, which I now purchased for $1. That means I didn't get ripped off. yayyyyy.
gottafire
Known user

Post by gottafire »

I still own the first three albums on cassette...I haven't owned a proper tape deck for my seperates since 1999. Pity they aren't worth anything now really :lol:
http://spiritualizedelectricmainline.blogspot.com/

The place for live Spiritualized®!!

Now with added Tufty power!!!
Mon1018
New user

Post by Mon1018 »

Very informative indeed!
Thank you for the info. you seem to be a nice guy. 8)
gottafire
Known user

Post by gottafire »

Mon1018 wrote:Very informative indeed!
Thank you for the info. you seem to be a nice guy. 8)

huh? :lol:
http://spiritualizedelectricmainline.blogspot.com/

The place for live Spiritualized®!!

Now with added Tufty power!!!
Greeny
Known user

Post by Greeny »

On this subject, the pamphlet-style promo of the new album is a nice affair - pity they seem to get yanked off eBay if Universal spots 'em before the auction closes! Each one is personally stamped with the recipient's name and place of work as well.

Gotta go for a Buy It New and get in quick before it gets pulled, like I did....better not bust the original recipient on here...! :wink:
laid back in the sun
Known user

Post by laid back in the sun »

Greeny wrote:On this subject, the pamphlet-style promo of the new album is a nice affair - pity they seem to get yanked off eBay if Universal spots 'em before the auction closes! Each one is personally stamped with the recipient's name and place of work as well.

Gotta go for a Buy It New and get in quick before it gets pulled, like I did....better not bust the original recipient on here...! :wink:
yeah i've noticed that too, been watching a couple and they just disappear! would understand it if the album hadn't been released yet but wheres the harm in sellin a promo of an album thats already out there??? i wants one!
hey man theres a hole in my nose where all the money goes
toomilk
Known user

Re: Spiritualized Ebay Addict, please make me feel better ab

Post by toomilk »

(shhhnananananananana....three years later!)

http://cgi.ebay.com/PERMANENT-MIDNIGHT- ... 3a5defef40

Another addition to the Spiritualized Discog?
semisynthetic
Known user

Re: Spiritualized Ebay Addict, please make me feel better ab

Post by semisynthetic »

It all depends on WHAT you obtained; if you can afford this addiction, I would say you were safe as clown's milk.
"Everything is a Poison; it is the amount or degree that separates one Poison from another"
Paracelsus