Spiritualized Ebay Addict, please make me feel better about

For anything else...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, spzretent, MODLAB, NightWash

toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

dselevan wrote:I'm going to have to listen to the vinyl mix of Live at Royal Albert Hall now!

The Royal Albert Hall on vinyl is why Spiritualized is my favorite band. I heard it and instantly fell in love.
andyblacktoo
Known user

Post by andyblacktoo »

dselevan wrote:Is there any difference between the Anyway that you want me 7" and the one that came with Lazer Guided Melodies?

Also, what's the deal with the Fierce 7". What version of Feel So Sad is it?
1, no i dont think so (though i havent played mine for nearly 15 years). it's just a pressing with anyway on one say, and why dont you smile on the other

2, that is different, its a stand alone version i think (i cant remember it being elsewhere, though ian would know), again i havent played mine for nearly 8 years, since i blagged it from a friend who got it at newcastle riverside. cost me a chicken korma and pilau rice.....
Starfish
Known user

Post by Starfish »

andyblacktoo wrote:... cost me a chicken korma and pilau rice.....
Is that Warwickshire rhyming slang? Is it as much as a monkey or a pony?
andyblacktoo
Known user

Post by andyblacktoo »

Starfish wrote:
andyblacktoo wrote:... cost me a chicken korma and pilau rice.....
Is that Warwickshire rhyming slang? Is it as much as a monkey or a pony?
about £7 in a rusholme curry house i seem to recall.
dselevan
Known user

Post by dselevan »

I just picked up Playing With Fire, the UK Fire pressing. I'm really happy, it was a great deal. I hate the Tang version that I had before, it was like a million records I had to turn over like 5 times. Ick.
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

Ahh! did you buy the one from Japan? I was watching that one. There was another from Israel also. I don't really feel too comfortable buying from half way across the globe...
dselevan
Known user

Post by dselevan »

Nope, Luton, United Kingdom

Spacemen 3 - Playing With Fire

Label: Fire Records
Catalog#: FIRE LP 16
Format: Vinyl, LP
Released: 1988
Genre: Rock
Style: Indie Rock
Notes: Comes in an embossed front cover.

Speed: Stereo 33 RPM

Tracklisting:
A1 Honey
A2 Come Down Softly To My Soul
A3 How Does It Feel?
A4 I Believe It
A5 Revolution
B1 Let Me Down Gently
B2 So Hot (Wash Away All Of My Tears)
B3 Suicide
B4 Lord Can You Hear Me?
dselevan
Known user

Post by dselevan »

Toomilk - you jacked up my maximum bid on the 7". man...my own friends are killing me. I've got to learn to wait till the last minute to bid..
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

Shit, sorry about that. I realized it after the fact.

I wasn't go to pass that 7". However, now that I won it, I'm not going to bid on any of that other guy's stuff. So you won't have any competition with them. haha.
dselevan
Known user

Post by dselevan »

I have the Indian Summer 12", got it for a 1.99. And got it signed. But nobody was bidding on this. There is something I really want so I'm gonna keep my mouth shut. Did you check out the Cheree thing I got?
Last edited by dselevan on Sun Feb 11, 2007 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

Yeah I already have Indian Summer. An ex-girlfriend got it for me. I don't know how she knew to get it for me or even why she did. Turned out to be in mint condition, but I think she paid a quite a bit more for it than you did.
dselevan
Known user

Post by dselevan »

Toomilk - I was pretty pissed that you snaked the only Spiritualized 7" that I am missing. But I saw one on ebay the other day so I'm sure I'll find one! Check out what I got. I was the only bidder on this!
SPECTRUM TRUE LOVE WILL FIND YOU IN THE END 2X72" G/FOL
GBP 1.99
SPECTRUM INDIAN SUMMER LTD EDIT NO 1910 PIC SLEEVE (280
GBP 1.99
SPACEMAN 3 CHEREE F5 FLEXI POSTER AND OUTER EXCELLENT
GBP 7.04
This one looks really cool:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... &rd=1&rd=1
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

Let's see if I can get this thread to stand up to its name...

dselevan
Known user

Post by dselevan »

I'm sure you will love the record. I've never even heard it! Except on the Complete Works. Feel so bad I didn't get it..Check out what I got:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... :IT&ih=018
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... :IT&ih=018

What do you think?
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

The Cheree record seems pretty cool. An "excerpt" from Dreamweapon...pretty cool.

It seems like it's from a fanzine or something. Maybe someone (Ian) has info on this...
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

dselevan wrote:Check out what I got. I was the only bidder on this!
GBP 1.99
Sorry - I've just reread this page and was wondering if this was some exceptionally rare effort to set the record for world's biggest record (all puns intended) or just a typo? I'm really hoping it's the former..maybe a cheeky ploy by Pete K. to match Jason's 'Highest Show on Earth' by releasing the 'widest record on earth'?
drones
Known user

Post by drones »

mojo filters wrote:
dselevan wrote:Check out what I got. I was the only bidder on this!
GBP 1.99
Sorry - I've just reread this page and was wondering if this was some exceptionally rare effort to set the record for world's biggest record (all puns intended) or just a typo? I'm really hoping it's the former..maybe a cheeky ploy by Pete K. to match Jason's 'Highest Show on Earth' by releasing the 'widest record on earth'?
Gatefold vinyl/Festival accomodation!

There is a problem here with the vinyl thing...
Buy the music and live with the music
but
Record Collector is :arrow: http://www.recordcollectormag.com/site/ ... efault.asp
I only feel right
with a football at my side
dselevan
Known user

Post by dselevan »

This is the Other section and if we aren't going to talk about vinyl, than the only thing left to talk about is bootlegs and videos, at least for me.
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

dselevan wrote:This is the Other section and if we aren't going to talk about vinyl, than the only thing left to talk about is bootlegs and videos, at least for me.
Well given I was talking about potentially an outragously large portion of vinyl, I think my contribution was quite substantial :wink:

Even the eBay ad describes it as 2x72" discs!
dselevan
Known user

Post by dselevan »

Gotcha.

I didn't know they talked about Spectrum there. I think it was pretty clear after looking at the picture, but not sure. 1.99, who cares!

TooMilk really fucked things up. We could have both gotten that 7" for 10 bucks if it didn't turn into a goddam bidding war. No one else really cares about that 7" and there were only 3 people bidding. Me, my friend Grant, and Toomilk. Damnit toomilk...
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

dselevan wrote:Gotcha.

I didn't know they talked about Spectrum there. I think it was pretty clear after looking at the picture, but not sure. 1.99, who cares!

TooMilk really fucked things up. We could have both gotten that 7" for 10 bucks if it didn't turn into a goddam bidding war. No one else really cares about that 7" and there were only 3 people bidding. Me, my friend Grant, and Toomilk. Damnit toomilk...
Well just console yourself with your full 72" worth of Spectrum...you could fit a hell of a lot of music on that one!
drones
Known user

Post by drones »

dselevan wrote:This is the Other section and if we aren't going to talk about vinyl, than the only thing left to talk about is bootlegs and videos, at least for me.
Eh...so your splurge of what you've bought, bidded on and had for breakfast aint stained the rest of the sections?

Listen maaaan, i like your hunger and i feel your Suicide[Revega] story but you are an absolute addict maaaan.

Personally i'd like to know how the music makes you feel, how it enters and leaves your life y'know. That goes for you too Filters. You are wordy and recognised as being clued up but i aint feelin' your Mojo.

So much to offer...
Only one way to go.
I only feel right
dselevan
Known user

Post by dselevan »

Dude I started this thread and it is clearly marked. If you don't care about ebay, skip it. If you think my Suicide story is better than the Slim's 1995 show I posted, you are a little slow.
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

dselevan wrote: TooMilk really fucked things up. We could have both gotten that 7" for 10 bucks if it didn't turn into a goddam bidding war. No one else really cares about that 7" and there were only 3 people bidding. Me, my friend Grant, and Toomilk. Damnit toomilk...

Excuse me? Baking powder?

If I would not have bid on that, you would have gotten the 7" for $40. Kind of missing your point here.......
dselevan
Known user

Post by dselevan »

First of all, I'm just kidding.
Secondly, no. I think I would have gotten it for $17 if you weren't bidding but who cares.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

toomilk wrote:The Cheree record seems pretty cool. An "excerpt" from Dreamweapon...pretty cool.

It seems like it's from a fanzine or something. Maybe someone (Ian) has info on this...
It was, as you say, an excerpt from Dreamweapon that Cheree put out. That simple. Nice packaging.

Ian's discography (which is really quite extraordinary - no idea how he managed to get such quality info of course) lists it here:
http://www.spacemen3.co.uk/pages/record ... acemen.htm

The rest of the article is an excellent read.
dselevan
Known user

Post by dselevan »

that was a great read, thank you.
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

dselevan wrote:First of all, I'm just kidding.
Secondly, no. I think I would have gotten it for $17 if you weren't bidding but who cares.
Sawy.
dselevan
Known user

Post by dselevan »

No sweat, I'm actually glad I didn't get it, I need to kick this ebay habit now.
drones
Known user

Post by drones »

dselevan wrote:Dude I started this thread and it is clearly marked. If you don't care about ebay, skip it. If you think my Suicide story is better than the Slim's 1995 show I posted, you are a little slow.
Ok brother, I hear you...it's your ball...
I just had a 'beef' that day and the exuberant consumption thread was niggling me...you know its a one way road, right?

Applause for the show you posted, thanks for investing that time allbeit lost on me as...
I only feel right
dselevan
Known user

Post by dselevan »

Ok. I hear you. I was sort of hoping to get some input on the relative value of Spacemen 3 Spiritualized releases which can be very difficult to figure out.

I just got a glow in the dark Spiritualized CD. Besides what a lot of people say, I think it is beautiful.
Jasonsmith
Known user

Post by Jasonsmith »

You can pick up bargains by shopping abroad http://cgi.ebay.de/SPECTRUM-SONIC-BOOM- ... dZViewItem

My biggest coup was probably the LAGWAFIS promo for 2 quid, but I regularly pich up cool stuff for a fraction of what it goes for on the US and UK sites
dselevan
Known user

Post by dselevan »

I got that record for $1.99 so I think local record shops are the best bet, if you really think about it. But..I couldn't understand any of the words on that page. How many dollars?
Shaun
Known user

Post by Shaun »

dselevan wrote:I couldn't understand any of the words on that page. How many dollars?
Have you ever used online language translators and currency converters ? They're simple to use and there is many available. I'm surprised FleaBay doesn't carry a currency converter themselves.
dselevan
Known user

Post by dselevan »

I guess I'm too lazy since I already have that record. Never really listen to it much actually I should sell it. Well I can't because I got it personalized, but it is really cool looking. That's why I bought it. It has this cool pinwheel on the cover. I really enjoy the first few 7" records Sonic put out...I'm trying to lay off ebay and stick to straight transactions. You can usually find someone who is willing to sell what you want without you having to deal with a bidding war.
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

The Jig wrote:
dselevan wrote:I'm surprised FleaBay doesn't carry a currency converter themselves.
I got that amusing and pertinant paraphrase in my head now...used it informally by mistake in a meeting yesterday and got some strange looks...so no change there then :wink:

BTW the best online converter I found is xe.com...good for those WU transactions, plus the dollar seems to get weaker by the day!
I'm like Evel Knievel, I get paid for the attempt. I didn't promise this shit would be good!
Dave Chappelle
dselevan
Known user

Post by dselevan »

I see copies of that Spectrum album on Amazon for $15. And they have playing with fire. And I found a guy with the Glass Perfect Prescription but his wife sold it around town. I guess Amazon might not be as safe as Ebay because they don't have the same rating system. I mean if I was in the Uk I would have bought this Perfect Prescription and than found out that the guy's, "better half" sold it to some pawn shop. Now I'm pissed. I hate this woman for selling my Glass Perfect Prescription and I don't even know her.
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

I've ordered albums off Amazon that never came. The seller never responds. Amazon never responds. You just got fucked out of 15 bucks.
Shaun
Known user

Post by Shaun »

dselevan wrote:I found a guy with the Glass Perfect Prescription but his wife sold it around town.

That's bloody funny but please spare us the details next time.
dselevan
Known user

Post by dselevan »

I just put on the first Sonic Boom album and I love it!
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

The Jig wrote:
dselevan wrote:I found a guy with the Glass Perfect Prescription but his wife sold it around town.

That's bloody funny but please spare us the details next time.
I dunno...maybe a whole thread devoted to Spiritualized fan with good record collection pimps out his missus could amuse...
I'm like Evel Knievel, I get paid for the attempt. I didn't promise this shit would be good!
Dave Chappelle
dselevan
Known user

Post by dselevan »

Or maybe he just didn't want to sell it.
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

how else could he fund his collection? a conventional job? :roll:
'raging and weeping are left on the early road
now each in his holy hill
the glittering and hurting days are alomst done
then let us compare mythologies
i have learned my elaborate lie
of soaring crosses and poisened thorns'
dselevan
Known user

Post by dselevan »

I got a reasonable deal on Recurring using Gemm.com. I mean sometimes ebay is the best for 7" records, you can get some steals on rarities, but sometimes bidding on those albums is just impossible now.
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Just picked up the Munster Dance Hall Favs Vol1 7" (pink cover) to finally complete my SP3 collection.

Can't remember if the pink cover was the rarer or whether it was the black one but to be honest i don't care. Quite happy having any copy of this after almost 5 years of searching...

As much as i think eBay has taken a lot of the fun outta rummaging through record stores for the current generation, i'm still quite excited by this!!!!

Sorry... had to let it all out...

:D
a beautiful noise
Known user

Post by a beautiful noise »

congratulations LAZ, the final piece of the puzzle huh? well done, i was on the same quest ten years ago for the jesus and mary chain, sadly i gave up.
dselevan
Known user

Post by dselevan »

Congrats, I saw that item and know the feeling! I just got some Spacemen 3 in the mail and it feels really good when the package arives on your doorstep.

I'm an E-bay addict now!

Love,
Dave
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

dselevan wrote:
I'm an E-bay addict now!

Love,
Dave
Isn't that how this thread started?

We've come full circle after nearly 8 full pages.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
dselevan
Known user

Post by dselevan »

When I started the thread I wanted to stop.
Since than I've run into some more income at work to support my habit, and have decided it is totally worth it.
I am listening to Big City Remix right now and it is totally worth the 10 bucks I spent on it. Now I love ebay,
dave
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

dselevan wrote:When I started the thread I wanted to stop.
Since than I've run into some more income at work to support my habit, and have decided it is totally worth it.
I am listening to Big City Remix right now and it is totally worth the 10 bucks I spent on it. Now I love ebay,
dave
What's the full name of the Big City remix? Also is it basically a slightly more driving, longer version of the original or does it sound like a totally new mix?

I've got this one remix of Big City on my iPod but the title's cut off so I can't identify it that way...I'm sure there is more than 1 alt/re mix of that tune - for one thing the song cries out to be polished into a sturdy dancefloor monster, I imagine a few sonic fiddlers have had their hands on it over the years and really would like to know more about the remix(es) before I go out and spend more money on vinyl/CDs!
Dave Chappelle
dselevan
Known user

Post by dselevan »

AA. Big City (Waves of Joy) Demo
Shorter. Totally different mix. Sonic does some trippy synth stuff that I think you notice more on this mix. Some guitars at the end....I also prefer it shorter in this format. This song really influenced my song writing a lot, and I never noticed it. There is another 12" which has a remix of the full version, I would have loved to have purchased that this morning but I slept in.

I'm just flaborgasted about what someone scored on ebay this morning. Most of us have most of this stuff, but I can't believe this anyway:
$31 for a Spacemen 3, Sonic Boom, Spiritualized collection. I spaced. The funny part is that he refers to the Sonic Boom autograph a blemish, I don't think he knows that it is Sonic Boom's autograph but you can tell from the picture that it is.

You are bidding on a rare mini collection

Record 1:

Sonic Boom > Spectrum > No. ORE ZLP 506 > 1989

Tracks: Help Me Please ~ Lonely Avenue ~ Angel ~ Rock 'n' Roll Is Killing My Life ~ You're The One ~ Pretty Baby ~ If I Should Die.

Record 2:

Spacemen 3 > Big City/Drive > No. BLAZE 41T > 1990

Tracks: A. Big City

AA1. Big City (waves of joy) Demo. AA2. Drive.

Record 3:

Spacemen 3 > Big City/Drive (remixes) > No. BLAZE 41TR > 1990

Tracks: A. Big City (REMIX)

AA. Drive (REMIX)

Record 4:

Spacemen 3 > Dreamweapon > No. FRIGHT 042 > 19??

Tracks: Side 1. Dreamweapon

Side 2. Ecstasy In Slow Motion.

Record 5:

Spacemen 3 > Performance > No. REFIRE 11 > 1990

Tracks: Mary Anne ~ Come Together ~ Things'll Never Be The Same ~ Take Me To The Other Side ~ Rollercoaster ~ Starship ~ Walkin' With Jesus.

Record 6:

Spirtualized > Anyway That You Want Me ext. > No. ZT 43784 > 1990

Tracks: A. Anyway That You Want Me ext.

AA. Step Into The Breeze 1 & 2.

Record 7:

Spritualized > Anyway That You Want Me (REMIX) > No. ZT 43870 > 1990

Tracks: A. Anyway That You Want Me 1

Anyway That You Want Me 2.

AA. Anyway That You Want Me 3

Anyway That You Want Me (DEMO).

Record 8:

Spirtualized > WHITE LABEL VERY RARE PROMO > SPIRT 001

So there you have it, my beloved collection. All records and sleeves are in very good condition. Apart from Dreamweapon which has Sonic Boom written lightly in biro on the front ( the sleeve and record are still very good).
dselevan
Known user

Post by dselevan »

I just got the Hypnotized 12" from Amazon. Looks cool but sounds the same as the album version. One extra song, The World is Dying.

Mojo - I'll try to get you the big city demo I have the mp3 somewhere
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

Wow, I wish I could have seen that auction on ebay........

:cry:
dselevan
Known user

Post by dselevan »

Toomilk - I would have pitched in on it just to get the Big City Remix, Performance, and Dreamweapon. I would have paid $30 and let you keep the rest because I already have them! This just proves that ebay has some great deals. I know a lot of people would pay $30 just for the first Sonic Boom album.
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

ah nuts. i saw that auction in the week, and put it in my watch list...forgot all about it. :cry: :cry:
slidesong
Known user

Post by slidesong »

I've never seen this before:

http://cgi.ebay.com/promo-cassette-SPIR ... dZViewItem

I have almost everything Spz ever released (both cd & vinyl), most of which I acquired on Ebay. It's an expensive habit, but I can think of worse things I can spend my money on.
dselevan
Known user

Post by dselevan »

I've been getting my stuff from Gem and Amazon so much faster than ebay.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

I've been thinking of collecting Spiritualized/Spacemen 3 records for some time now, regardless of the fact that I haven't actually got a record player. Whats been putting me off however is, firstly knowing how much to spend on each individual release, whether I'm actually going to play the records or just gaze at them lovingly when I do buy them (and once I've bought myself a record player) and finally, how much money you can actually end up spending on this obsession.
dselevan
Known user

Post by dselevan »

I'd buy a record player first.
A friend came over last night and we just layed around while I played different records.
I couldn't imagine getting someone to lay around and listen to mp3s.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

While we're on the buying records front, what other on-line vendors apart from E-Bay do people on here use? Have been looking on Gemm and Music Stack but was wondering if there were any particular private stores with decent bargains (was thinking of US ones, what with the £ being so strong against the $).

As for the record player, that is something that I'm definately considering. Any recommendations, bearing in mind I haven't exactly got the worlds most audiophile system (Rotel Amp, Marantz CD player, old pair of Mission Speakers)? I was looking at the Rega (3?) player which I think is generally considered to be a half decent effort. Anything else out there which is good but won't break the bank? Any help would be appreciated.
dselevan
Known user

Post by dselevan »

I've gotten some good deals on Gemm, and the records come right away unlike Ebay which is a gamble. I usually take bargains on ebay these days but if I really want something I'll go to Gemm and get a deal similar to what you would get in a record store.

My record player is a Stanton, I got it from a buddy. I'm not sure what the best are, I'd get whatever you can pick up used. Since you can replace the cartride and needle, it shouldn't matter if it is used. You might want to look at the features. Mine has a bunch of things like mp3 in, line out and phono out, etc. If your tuner doesn't have phono inputs you will either need a record player with line out or a pre-amp tuner.
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

Ads wrote: was wondering if there were any particular private stores with decent bargains (was thinking of US ones, what with the £ being so strong against the $).
really super record store, really nice people:
http://www.twistedvillage.com/
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

and Byron Coley's
http://www.yod.com/
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

Ads wrote:As for the record player, that is something that I'm definately considering. Any recommendations, bearing in mind I haven't exactly got the worlds most audiophile system (Rotel Amp, Marantz CD player, old pair of Mission Speakers)? I was looking at the Rega (3?) player which I think is generally considered to be a half decent effort. Anything else out there which is good but won't break the bank? Any help would be appreciated.
If your rotel's got a phono input try the NAD 533 that's basically a discontinued rega P2 but cheaper and with a goldring electra cart to boot (the P2/3 price doesn't include the price of a cart). You can then get a better phono stage if needed when funds allow. On the other hand you seem to be able to pick up 2nd hand technics, stanton etc DJ decks very cheap these days...but there's a reason for that - they were overpriced in the 1st place when beatmixing was all the rage, plus they use a direct drive mechanism that was demonstrated by Linn in the early 1970's to be inferior to a belt drive in producing hi-fi sound...on the plus side a 1200 is a sturdy beast and technics continue to provide the necessary tech support if it needs fixing which is something worth bearing in mind when buying 2nd hand.
Dave Chappelle
dselevan
Known user

Post by dselevan »

I just picked up the Perfect Prescription Genius LP for $40. Good deal?
Fuzzhead
Known user

Post by Fuzzhead »

Mojo - what way does a phono stage work?