Cartoons - Simpsons Movie &c

For anything else...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, spzretent, MODLAB, NightWash

twentysixdollars
Known user

Post by twentysixdollars »

is wrote:KID'S FILM! /\ /\ /\
And what's wrong with a kids' film? Yellow Submarine is a kids' film.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

"Stir it up..."

I used to think The Simpsons was supreme...until I saw Family Guy.

:lol:
O P 8
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

BzaInSpace wrote:"Stir it up..."

I used to think The Simpsons was supreme...until I saw Family Guy.

:lol:
Then I realised any cartoon that had jokes relevant to the plot was funnier than Family Guy which clearly relies on a formula that is essentially flawed.

Personally I'm a South Park man...and I snuck the snook up the snizz :wink:
I'm like Evel Knievel, I get paid for the attempt. I didn't promise this shit would be good!
Dave Chappelle
twentysixdollars
Known user

Oh, come on. Family Guy isn't even comedy. There's no comedy writing in it at all. It's just a series of lame (usually scatological and/or misogynistic) jokes and anti-jokes. Like a standup specializing in bawdy knock-knocks. Or Neil Hamburger.

The Simpsons is, above all, beautiful writing.

Trust the English prof.
natty
Known user

Post by natty »

South Park every time for me. The Simpsons is classic though and was a better show in it's heyday, and the writing is indisputably leagues above either SP or Family Guy, but South Park goes from strength to strength. It just gets funnier and funnier whereas the Simpsons has gone to pot a bit of late. Family guy is crass as hell and is has no real plot, but I've got to admit it kills me sometimes. Stewie and Brian are genuinely funny.

I never stopped listening to Shoegaze stuff. McGee is full of shit.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

natty wrote: Family guy is crass as hell and is has no real plot, but I've got to admit it kills me sometimes. Stewie and Brian are genuinely funny.
YESSS!
twentysixdollars wrote:Oh, come on. Family Guy isn't even comedy.
WHAAAAT?
twentysixdollars wrote:There's no comedy writing in it at all. It's just a series of lame (usually scatological and/or misogynistic) jokes and anti-jokes. Like a standup specializing in bawdy knock-knocks. Or Neil Hamburger.
Neil who?
O P 8
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

What's an "anti-joke"?
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Exactly Ro.

I don't watch cartoons to consider the plot, 'anti-jokes' or whether it relies "on a formula that is essentially flawed".

WTF???

I watch them to make ME LAUGH my head off. And, personally of course, Family Guy makes me cry with laughter. The Simpsons on the other hand...well, its OK I suppose. The marijuana episode was pretty bizarre. But I probably prefer far-out Czech animation - of the kind they used to play on late night TV - to The Simpsons. Y'know, its cooler to be into the obscurer shit isn't it.

Cartoons are the new rock n' roll
O P 8
twentysixdollars
Known user

natty wrote:It just gets funnier and funnier whereas the Simpsons has gone to pot a bit of late.
Not true. This past season has been as consistently funny as ever, with the notable exception of the leaden episode parodying 24. What's happened in the last few seasons is that the show has gotten denser and more abrasive. Both qualities lead to most of the episodes requiring several viewings before they register as 'funny' or even 'coherent'.
Stewie and Brian are genuinely funny.
Brian's only shtick: "I'm a sophisticate with a rich baritone, but I'm also a dog who does the indelicate things that dogs do."
Stewie's only shtick: "I speak in swish and utter the indelicate things about women that gay men supposedly default to in unmixed company, but I'm also a baby who poos his diapers."

In other words, I may or may not enjoy these characters more if they did something (anything) other than look at women - more often than not teenage girls - and call them sluts.

"Look - a giant chicken who fights Peter for seven or eight minutes at a time."

Neil Hamburger: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neil_Hamburger
MUFCSPACEMAN
Known user

Post by MUFCSPACEMAN »

Last edited by MUFCSPACEMAN on Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shaun
Known user

Post by Shaun »

Never ever watched a full episode of The Simpsons and, from my point of view, that might be a lucky escape.

Roseanne was a very funny, albeit dry, American sitcom.

And this clip of Roseanne Barr on the Graham Norton show is very funny http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hGtvNoOR4Y
What more can the heart of a man desire?
natty
Known user

Post by natty »

twentysixdollars wrote:
natty wrote:It just gets funnier and funnier whereas the Simpsons has gone to pot a bit of late.
Not true. This past season has been as consistently funny as ever, with the notable exception of the leaden episode parodying 24. What's happened in the last few seasons is that the show has gotten denser and more abrasive. Both qualities lead to most of the episodes requiring several viewings before they register as 'funny' or even 'coherent'.
I've not seen the current season because I don't get Sky anymore. The last couple I saw suffered because the jokes stopped deriving from the plot so much, a bit like erm.. Family Guy. Which was a bad thing. If you disagree so be it. This is what I and most of my friends think.

Look, I'm not a huge fan of Family Guy, I realise where it falls down, I'm just saying that every now and then it slays me. The Simpsons is leagues ahead of it and always wil be I should imagine.

South Park makes me laugh more than both of them, although I think they push unnecessarily close to the edge sometimes.

King Of The Hill is hugely underrated. I rate that show almost as much as The Simpsons.

OFF TOPIC, by the way.
MUFCSPACEMAN
Known user

Post by MUFCSPACEMAN »

Last edited by MUFCSPACEMAN on Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
twentysixdollars
Known user

natty wrote:King Of The Hill is hugely underrated. I rate that show almost as much as The Simpsons.
King of the Hill is (or was) wonderful. It has begun to run out of steam, but the fact that it stayed at the level it did, basically under the radar, for so many years is astonishing.

But lately it's suffered from too much reliance on the formula:

act 1: Hank partakes of some mythic American ritual.
act 2: Some injustice occurs that causes Hank to doubt said ritual.
act 3: Hank's common decency and unerring sense of rectitude overcomes the injustice and the ritual is untarnished.

I also think its treatment of its Asian characters is sometimes less than enlightened.

Perhaps these things only bother me because I've been watching two or three episodes a day (often in succession) in syndication.
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

twentysixdollars wrote:
natty wrote:[South Park] just gets funnier and funnier whereas the Simpsons has gone to pot a bit of late.
the leaden episode parodying 24.

What's happened in the last few seasons is that the show has gotten denser and more abrasive. Both qualities lead to most of the episodes requiring several viewings before they register as 'funny' or even 'coherent'.
1. Ironically South Park got there 1st by just a few weeks as I recall, so The Simpsons hadn't already done it :wink: And the satire on South Park is just getting sharper and sharper...I think the show has really been on a roll for the last 2 seasons, maybe with the exception of the Towlie/Oprah parody ('A Million Little Fibers') :?

2. What you call denser I see more like ramming 3 separate plots into one 22 min episode because no individual storyline was strong enough to carry a full show - from my observation this has been the downfall of The Simpsons recently, though I still follow every episode once it's available via torrent (and watch the repeats) so I must credit the show with having something that holds my attention and interest!

PS I think it was criminal to cancel Futurama :cry:
I'm like Evel Knievel, I get paid for the attempt. I didn't promise this shit would be good!
Dave Chappelle
MUFCSPACEMAN
Known user

Post by MUFCSPACEMAN »

Last edited by MUFCSPACEMAN on Tue Nov 27, 2007 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MUFCSPACEMAN
Known user

Post by MUFCSPACEMAN »

Last edited by MUFCSPACEMAN on Tue Nov 27, 2007 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
natty
Known user

Post by natty »

twentysixdollars wrote:
But lately it's suffered from too much reliance on the formula:

act 1: Hank partakes of some mythic American ritual.
act 2: Some injustice occurs that causes Hank to doubt said ritual.
act 3: Hank's common decency and unerring sense of rectitude overcomes the injustice and the ritual is untarnished.

I also think its treatment of its Asian characters is sometimes less than enlightened.

Perhaps these things only bother me because I've been watching two or three episodes a day (often in succession) in syndication.
This is fair to say. I was watching season 9 the other day and was thinking the same thing. For me KOTH's appeal is that it's so well observed and it has some genuinely warm, human moments. And it's bloody hysterical as well.

Cancelling Futurama after four excellent seasons was criminal.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

MUFCSPACEMAN wrote:
Ren & Stimpy beat all of 'em.
Now yer talking. That great episode with the button that would destroy the universe : "Don't press the button...don't press the button...I HAVE TO PRESS THE BUTTON!!!"

Those sick close ups of their faces. 'Everybody wants a log'. Powdered Toast Man.

It wasn't really for kids was it? Twisted to say the least. I also remember when they became Nipple Salesmen for a day. :shock:
Last edited by BzaInSpace on Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
O P 8
MUFCSPACEMAN
Known user

Post by MUFCSPACEMAN »

Last edited by MUFCSPACEMAN on Tue Nov 27, 2007 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
twentysixdollars
Known user

If we start quoting the show, we're never getting out of this thread.

On last night: "Alright, I'll just take a six pack and couple of bags of Skittles."
MUFCSPACEMAN
Known user

Post by MUFCSPACEMAN »

Last edited by MUFCSPACEMAN on Tue Nov 27, 2007 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
a beautiful noise
Known user

Post by a beautiful noise »

homer:

"i am so smart, S-M-R-T".
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

lisa- you can't drive dad he has you licence

homer- i can still try (turns key and engine roars to life. looking elated turns to marge) it worked!

------------------

yes that's right lisa some magical animal
'raging and weeping are left on the early road
now each in his holy hill
the glittering and hurting days are alomst done
then let us compare mythologies
i have learned my elaborate lie
of soaring crosses and poisened thorns'
MUFCSPACEMAN
Known user

Post by MUFCSPACEMAN »

Last edited by MUFCSPACEMAN on Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fuzzhead
Known user

Post by Fuzzhead »

Monkey Dust is a great show.

Here's one of my favourite sketches from it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUH40Mgr0N0
nukisarocknrollstar
Known user

Post by nukisarocknrollstar »

mojo filters wrote: Then I realised any cartoon that had jokes relevant to the plot was funnier than Family Guy which clearly relies on a formula that is essentially flawed.

Personally I'm a South Park man
Wasn't there a South Park episode where Stan and Kyle try to prevent further episodes of Family Guy being made for that reason? You've been brainwashed!

After much debate I have come to the conclusion; Family Guy is ok to watch every once in a while but after the novelty of the jokes (i.e this is like the time when....) wears off it gets quite unfunny....quickly. South Park is genius (ok why doon't we have an answer from someone who isn't a complete retard!!) but can be inconsistent with some 'lazy' episodes. Got to say the Simpsons is top spot for me. I even find it therapeutic to have on in the background!

Here's the retard scene if you didn't know what I was on about!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CY9KWFPMPhw
Last edited by nukisarocknrollstar on Thu Aug 23, 2007 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MUFCSPACEMAN
Known user

Post by MUFCSPACEMAN »

Last edited by MUFCSPACEMAN on Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
twentysixdollars
Known user

Nobody knows the band Grand Funk?

The wild, shirtless lyrics of Mark Farner?

The bong-rattling bass of Mel Schacher?

The competent drum work of Don Brewer?

Oh man!...
nukisarocknrollstar
Known user

Post by nukisarocknrollstar »

MUFCSPACEMAN wrote:
nukisarocknrollstar wrote:Wasn't there a South Park episode where Stan and Kyle try to prevent further episodes of Family Guy being made for that reason?
Cartoon Wars. Great episode. Already hated Family Guy, so I whooped that one up.
nukisarocknrollstar wrote:South Park is genius (ok why doon't we have an answer from someone who isn't a complete retard!!) but can be inconsistent with some 'lazy' episodes.

Yep. They've made a scattering of duds, and maybe haven't been quite as consistent as the hotstreak The Simpsons was on between 89-98, but the majority of episodes (even some of the ostensibly lazy ones) are worth repeat views.
not often i agree with the scum but on this occasion i will x x