Britain's favourite Bar/Pub

For anything else...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, spzretent, MODLAB, NightWash

Shaun
Known user

Britain's favourite Bar/Pub

Post by Shaun »

What's your favourite Bar/Public House in and around the British Isles ?

The Philharmonic in Liverpool, that's a possible top 10 entry.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

The Crescent in Salford
Bar Fringe in Manchester
Harewood Arms in Leeds
From what i understand i need a night out in Liverpool. I hear it has great pubs.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

The Prince Of Wales, Aberdeen
Da Wheel Bar, Lerwick
White Horse, Brixton
Brunwick Cellars, Butterfly & Pig, 13th Note, O'Neils, Waverley Tearooms, 3 Judges, Mono, numerous old mannies bars..Glasgow
O P 8
rameses
Known user

Post by rameses »

The Crown - Belfast (owned by The National Trust)
The Sun Inn - Dent (deep in the Yorkshire Dales)
The Angel - Leeds (real beer still only £1.32 a pint :D )

and that's just for starters.....
It's nice to be liked,
But it's better by far to get paid.
MUFCSPACEMAN
Known user

Post by MUFCSPACEMAN »

Last edited by MUFCSPACEMAN on Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

Thanks is!!!

I'll be in Cambridge in 3 weeks.

Cheers,

Mark
Design.
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

Ah I see.. no problem.. i might as well check it out! The St. Radegund sounds perfect for nursing a hangover. But its always nice at least know some places to go. Thanks!

As for anyone else on this board that lives in the UK or Scotland. My wife and myself are doing a 2 week tour of GB. Starting in Bristol and driving up to isles for a taste of whisky. If anyone has any suggestions please PM me.

Cheers,

Mark
Design.
Shaun
Known user

Post by Shaun »

The Wellington, Birmingham. At any one time there's 15 different real ales on and easily sells over 2,500 different ones a year.
The Barton Arms, Birmingham. Superb Victorian interior (with original snob screens !!)
Bennet's Bar, Edinburgh. Another superb Victorian interior.
Halfway House, Edinburgh. Possibly the smallest bar ever.
Cittie of York, London. Must be original Victorian wine butts, plus incredible ceiling.
Black Horse, Preston. An incredible (and original) curve shaped bar.
Blue Peter, Polperro. A lovely cosy place to spend a summer night drinking until you drop.
Olde Trip to Jerusalem, Nottingham. Could be the oldest pub in England, cut into the Castle rock.
Wasdale Head Inn, Wasdale (Lake District). Hard pushed to find a better located pub than this one. Brews it's own beer too.
Crown Posada, Newcastle. Stunning but small inside. Well worth a visit.
Fort William, Grog & Gruel. Huge selection of single Malt's.
Leeds, Whitlock's. Brilliant place, great atmosphere.

Manchester, way too many to mention. The Northern Quarter was difficult to get out of years ago. Liverpool, i've done a 20 bar pub crawl there, some real gems there. Loads more elsewhere.
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

Thank you very much Jig. Impressive list. I look forward to drinking a few pints here and there.

Cheers,

Mark
Design.
Shaun
Known user

Post by Shaun »

Out of all those pubs Modlab, the one in the Lake District takes some beating for location. It's also a nice hotel which helps because it's a bit remote.
Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

Post by Stuart X.Hunter »

I'll recommend these

Yang - bar/club funk/house/soul (33 Queen St. Glasgow)
Strata - bar house/techno (45 Queen St. Glasgow) http://www.strataglasgow.com/
Sauza - pub/bar rock/football (upstairs) house/funk/sal-soul (downstairs) (73 Queen St. Glasgow) formerly Rock Gardens
Soba - bar/club house/soul/breaks (11 Mitchell Lane. Glasgow) http://www.barsoba.co.uk/

There are plenty others between the Argyle St. end and the Sauchiehall end of the city-centre.

Royal Exchange Square - Belo, Social, Rogano (if you want to really ponce about!)
Bath St. area - Spy Bar, Monkey Bar, Bar-Bar the F*ckin Elephant.

Bza has mentioned many good uns although he aint mentioned The Blob Shop if it's still there... end of Sauchiehall St (before Charing Cross)...get yerself a pint of hot, pink blob and be propositioned to buy cassetes albums by a variety of prog-rock bands.
Shoulders back, smash it
MODLAB
Site Admin

Great!

Post by MODLAB »

I really appreciate all the recommendations eleKtroniK:musiK and Jig. I will try to make it to some of them. If anyone would like to meet up for a few do not hesitate to PM me.

Jig I showed my wife the Wasdale Head Inn and she told me to book an evening there. Looks really beautiful.

My complete schedule is getting together at the moment. I do know I will be in Bristol and Cambridge for the first week.

Cheers,

Mark
Design.
Shaun
Known user

Re: Great!

Post by Shaun »

It is beautiful and peaceful. Hope the weather stays nice.
Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

Re: Great!

MODLAB wrote:I really appreciate all the recommendations eleKtroniK:musiK and Jig. I will try to make it to some of them. If anyone would like to meet up for a few do not hesitate to PM me.
Sorry Mark...i think you've included me in that out of kindness.
I didn't read your earlier post about touring

Probably better you stick with The Jig and Bza selection...mine are all kinda pre-club type places. I go to them with my mates/wife etc as we've been going for donks but they aren't really a representation of a typical/proper Glasgow/Scottish pub...they are dime-a-dozen and can be found in any city in any country, i'd imagine.

However if you are after a treat and want to bask (basque?) in a bit of Art Deco/money,money,money do go to the Rogano or if you want to watch the city pass by in a neon haze...outside at the Social after dark on a balmy Saturday Night is quite relaxing.

Best bar I've ever been in is in Gouvia on the Island of Corfu...the waves lap right up to the bar and it's all wooden/salvaged wood with low lights, traditional greek music....and Raki!!!
Shoulders back, smash it
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

eleKtroniK:musiK wrote: Bza has mentioned many good uns although he aint mentioned The Blob Shop if it's still there... end of Sauchiehall St (before Charing Cross)...get yerself a pint of hot, pink blob and be propositioned to buy cassetes albums by a variety of prog-rock bands.
I've never even heard of that place but it sounds amazing! Tapes...prog rock...'hot pink blob'...jeez, what's not to like???

Is it near the Irish-themed bar, on the left hand side of where you describe, that does open mike nights, and has the sleaziest late night 'disco' ever on the week nights? Ah...many a good night in there. I once played a Spacemen tune and I think the crowd dug it.

Or maybe they were just fucked up on hot, pink blob... :lol:

By the way Modlab good luck with the tour...
O P 8
Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

BzaInSpace wrote:
I've never even heard of that place but it sounds amazing! Tapes...prog rock...'hot pink blob'...jeez, what's not to like???
quote from some pub-guide;

Blob Shop, Glasgow
Recently redecorated to make a bit more room for its ever growing army of pre–clubbing punters. Upon entering you would be forgiven if the words old giffer's pub flash across your mind, as it has a certain classic pub feel to it. However, once the crowds start to flock in – and on a Friday and Saturday night, they always do –, you'll find yourself relaxing in the highly student–friendly atmosphere, one ideal to watch the football. An excellent selection of drink promos are always available and nice to see, but if you've alwayswanted to try what appears to be your gran's pre–war cough medicine, then try their in–house drink 'The Blob'... One for the junky – of Benalin rather than crack, what were you thinking?

I think it is still there...292 Sauchiehall St. nr O'Neils (if thats what you're referring too Bza).
Shoulders back, smash it
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

best thread ever!

The Goldhawk - Goldhawk Road, London
180 (R.I.P.) - OLd Street, London
The Verilum Arms - St Albans (circa 2005)
The Lower Red Lion - St Albans

Fact Fans - St Albans has 99 pubs - apparently the biggest amount of pubs per person in the uk (I think).

Anyway if you like the sauce get down there and get on it.
Starfish
Known user

Post by Starfish »

The Jig wrote:The Wellington, Birmingham. At any one time there's 15 different real ales on and easily sells over 2,500 different ones a year.
... and you're allowed to bring your own food in with you. They've even got real ale lager.
Starfish
Known user

Post by Starfish »

simonkeeping wrote:
Fact Fans - St Albans has 99 pubs - apparently the biggest amount of pubs per person in the uk (I think).
I remember reading once that that accolade belonged to Chester.
Probably one of those urban myths that is claimed in several towns and cities.

Anyway, no matter where you are in the UK, the best pub always seems to be your local.
Cos that's where your mates are.
Shaun
Known user

Post by Shaun »

Starfish wrote:
The Jig wrote:The Wellington, Birmingham. At any one time there's 15 different real ales on and easily sells over 2,500 different ones a year.
... and you're allowed to bring your own food in with you. They've even got real ale lager.
Yeah forgot to mention that about the food. And then there's also the 3 ever changing rough scrumpy ciders available. Plus a very useful short-cut to the Old Joint Stock if it's raining and you fancy some Fuller's ales.
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

Well again i appreciate all your recommendations and hope that i will have fun and enjoy a few...

Cheers,

Mark
Design.
Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

The Jig wrote:
Starfish wrote:
What is real ale and what is the hullaballoo/obsession regarding it?

Where i'm from we sip (not supp) from whatever the trendiest bottle of the week is. Currently it's Brahma...I know it taste like every other cerveja...which in turn taste like spaniels piss...but hey...when you've got a brahma in your hand you know your onto a brammer of a night!

So back on track...and for the dinner parties...someone sum up real ales and the obsession in a handy attention grabbing paragraph. Also is the Bishops Finger a real ale?
Shoulders back, smash it
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Is "real ale" the equivalent of american microbrews? which are huge here.
small batch breweries that rarely make it out of their region.
rameses
Known user

Post by rameses »

spzretent wrote:Is "real ale" the equivalent of american microbrews? which are huge here.
small batch breweries that rarely make it out of their region.
They can certainly be similar in style, and there are large numbers of small(ish) regional breweries in the UK but there are also large ones that make real ales that are available nationwide (bottled or draught ).
It's nice to be liked,
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

kind of the same here ie: Samuel Adams, Sierra Nevada, Anchor Steam all w/national distro.
Most are regional ie: Bells(Michigan), Rogue(Oregon), Stone(San Diego), New Glarus(Wisconsin) w/ varying styles. Everything from uber hoppy IPA's to heavy coffee stouts to the fruit beers like New Glarus Raspberry and Cherry(1 pound of tart cherries in every bottle) or Ofallon's Wheach(Peach Wheat) which is an incredible summer beer.
rameses
Known user

Post by rameses »

oo that cherry one sounds nice
It's nice to be liked,
Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

Thanks is as usual you make daunting topics accessible.

http://www.camra.org.uk/

My favourite line is "woman drinkers are the future of real ale" says CAMRA

I can't think of anything more grotesque than a woman with a pint glass near her mouth...'cept Melanie Sykes in her hey-day not her des o'connor period.

I'm still going to opt for a trendy bottle of the by-product this evening though...

Come on...it's not about the taste it's about the intriguing names and entendre

Oh...Mark (MODLAB) here is a link to pub crawls etc from the glasgow/argyll branch of camra

http://www.glasgowcamra.org.uk/weekend05/page2.html

I've done the subway...a different version of it though.
Shoulders back, smash it
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

rameses wrote:oo that cherry one sounds nice
i know i've said this before on this board but i actually drove to Wisconsin to buy loads of it last december because you cant get it outside of Wisconsin. About 5 hours each way. Worth every minute.
Plus there are several microbreweries along the way. Which breaks up the trip nicely provided you dont gets nuts.
It also allowed me to get away from my computer fpor a day which was also very nice.
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

------>AH! Bells... how i miss that stout!

Thanks Elektro.. I will check it while passing through...

M
Design.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

its weird. if you travel outside of the state of M ichigan Bell's has taken on legendary status. And its not even the best brewery in Michigan anymore. New Holland and Dark Horse are better I think.
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

Last time i had bells was in 1998... and that flavour... kept one bottle for 2 years and then opened it and was even better...

---- actually i look forward one day to come back michigan and see what has happened over the years.

M
Design.
rameses
Known user

Post by rameses »

spzretent wrote:
rameses wrote:oo that cherry one sounds nice
i know i've said this before on this board but i actually drove to Wisconsin to buy loads of it last december because you cant get it outside of Wisconsin. About 5 hours each way. Worth every minute.
Plus there are several microbreweries along the way. Which breaks up the trip nicely provided you dont gets nuts.
It also allowed me to get away from my computer fpor a day which was also very nice.
I will have try and track some down.

Incidently (and not at all related to real ale) does anyone know if Colt45 is still made?
It's nice to be liked,
a beautiful noise
Known user

Post by a beautiful noise »

yep! but they did make a new can for it.

me.
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

Design.
Shaun
Known user

Post by Shaun »

Totally by chance i stumbled upon a brewery/brew pub in New York called the Heartland Brewery. Just had to go in for two reasons and both are to do with the name. Heartland, because it's one of the best 'The The' songs ever and Brewery, simple to work out !!

What a great range of beers they sell. It was almost difficult to try them all.
Shaun
Known user

Post by Shaun »

I've heard of a cool place to hang out in Glasgow and i'll be chilling over a pint of Ginger ale in there sooner rather than later (hopefully). It's called the Clockwork Beer Company along Cathcart Road.
helm
Known user

Post by helm »

my favourite pubs (in no particular order) are
the bell- bath, hard to beat especially on walcott nation day
the bell- harborne, they play bowls in the back garden
market bar- inverness, just the smallest bar with the best jukebox
the racehorse- northampton, because it's the only decent pub in this town
atticus- bearwood, not really a pub, but it's a really good bar.
Shaun
Known user

Post by Shaun »

spzretent wrote:Bar Fringe in Manchester
That is a good place to hang out for a few hours. Great selection of continental beers available.
From what i understand i need a night out in Liverpool. I hear it has great pubs.
Liverpool does have some great pubs. Walk along Dale St (start at Ship n Mitre end) and you'll hit some good pubs, then stroll over to the Baltic Fleet and try some nice Wapping beers.
Also is the Bishops Finger a real ale?
Yeah it's a real ale. I've tried it but can't remember what it tastes like.
andyblacktoo
Known user

Post by andyblacktoo »

the picturedrome and charlie bradlaugh are both pretty good in northampton.

the sand bar in manchester and the free trade inn in newcastle, remain two of my total faves.
mojo filters
Known user

Re: Britain's favourite Bar/Pub

Post by mojo filters »

Good call on the Free Trade in Newcastle, but the Cumberland Arms deserves a worthy mention too.

For those of us old enough to remember, I'm sure they're will be many who agree Newcastle lost the best drinking establishment and small venue several years ago, when they knocked down The Broken Doll to widen a road :cry:
I'm like Evel Knievel, I get paid for the attempt. I didn't promise this shit would be good!
Dave Chappelle
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

Sorry not to say thank you all for the suggestions. I hit a few and landed a few times on my pillow.
Was a great vacation and I appreciate all the help. I figured out that I would have needed a good
month with my own chauffeur to go to all the places on the list.

Cheers All,

M
Design.
LUFC_SPACEMAN
Known user

Post by LUFC_SPACEMAN »

The Old Peacock - Elland Road. Just opposite Heaven.
stevie
Known user

Post by stevie »

The Basement, Broughton Street, edinburgh. Not so much at night cos there's too many 'beautiful' people in there but during the day and always for food. Greatest fucking pub food on the fucking planet and I look forward to my imminent return to my hometown in a couple of weeks so I can fill my face.

The Golf Tavern in Bruntsfield (also edinburgh) is also on the list for much the same reason.

Apart from that I can't really think of any others but it's been a while since I was there.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Stevie;
Welcome back! Long time!