the glittering and hurting days are alomst done
then let us compare mythologies
i have learned my elaborate lie
of soaring crosses and poisened thorns'
spacemanrich
Known user

Re: euro 2008

Post by spacemanrich »

I can't get the coverage here in the States ? I think Espana (Spain) would be a strong contender.
NightWash
Site Admin

Post by NightWash »

My favorite is and has to be germany :)
ebbsandflows
Known user

Post by ebbsandflows »

I'm going for Czech Republic. That and about thirteen other specific things that Paddy Power so graciously let me spend money on to. Worth it just to care. We've got 1000-1 on Austria first and Romania second . . but failing that (certaintly) Czech republic.

That and Christiano Ronaldo being seriously injured and decimating his league price.
dz-015
New user

Post by dz-015 »

Germany then Spain.
Got a few quid on Lukas Podolski for top scorer - good start!!!
ebbsandflows
Known user

Post by ebbsandflows »

Our money is on Klose - bad start!
helm
Known user

Post by helm »

Spain, has to be. tournament wise they are the closest thing to england - i.e. perennial under achievers.
burst
Known user

Post by burst »

Either Holland (who have no chance) or Spain (who actually might).
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

I'd like to see Spain win it purely for the Liverpool connection and 'cos they were robbed against England in Euro '96 when they'd 2 perfectly good goals dis-allowed for offside and then went out on penalties. They haven't a hope though.

Please God not Italy, a team i've always hated.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Uugh your right, I hope it's not Italy ! Can't stand them ! Next thing you know is Materazzi calling Cristiano Ronaldo's mom a two bit cunt in Portuguese ! I would still think Klose could still be in contention for top goal scorer, even tho' Podalski's up on him two-nil.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Oranje-Boom! :D
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
ebbsandflows
Known user

Post by ebbsandflows »

Good game and good result! The Netherlands looking really good! France and Italy should be very very concerned. Romania should be hungover.

Had a couple of quid on 1-0 to The Netherlands. Still, i think i can get it all back by betting increasing amounts of cash on longer and longer odds. Now where did i put those house deeds . . . .
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D and that was without key players!!!
'raging and weeping are left on the early road
now each in his holy hill
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

The Netherlands or Germany
Oh 3 to nil.... Haha... The Italians had classic dumbfounded looks on their faces...

M
Design.
burst
Known user

Post by burst »

The second Dutch goal was really cool. The way they swept up the field was pretty spectacular. And good for Van Basten who scored the best ever goal in the European Championships against Russia in 1988.

Having been written off before the start (sort of by me even though I'm supporting them) maybe they'll surprise everyone. The Italians sure did last night by losing so heavily!
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

A great night for football alright. Glad to see lots of people share my distaste for the Italians! :lol: For me they've always represented so much that's bad about football.
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

All I know is that Corrie wasn't on last night! and football was. Bad times.....
:evil:
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Espana, not too bad tonite. Espana (4) , Russia (1). David Villa with the hat trick !!! The Spanish look tough tonite !

FANTASTICO !
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

i work evenings, i miss so much football :cry:
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Slight upset tonite. The Germans looked lethargic against the Croats. Couldn't get anything going tonite and their defense was horrible.
Duffy
Known user

Post by Duffy »

Quick question, I'm not a huge football fan or anything, but I do enjoy watching it occasionally. Anyways, I got to see the Czech Republic Vs Potugal yesterday and The keeper for the Czech team had on a funny looking sort of world war 1 padded pilot type hat on. I'm assuming this is to protect his head when he's got to do headers or whatever, but are very many keepers wearing these things these days? I just got a nice chuckle out of it everty time they showed him as I've not seen that before. :D
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

It's Peter Cech, Chelsea goalkeeper. He had a major injury to his face recently. That simple I'm afraid.
Duffy
Known user

Post by Duffy »

Oh, well obviously someone getting hurt isn't funny, I was just wondering if this was some new goal keeping gear that was starting to be adopted, thanks for the info.
ebbsandflows
Known user

Post by ebbsandflows »

Yeah, he's a great Goalie, AND i can like him for the duration of this tournament as he's not plaing for the sc. . .i mean Man U.

I'm ever so sorry Germany. I really really am. We told you they were good! :oops: :lol:
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

he fractured his skull then a few months later suffered a facial injury as well
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Wow, the Dutch seems to be the team to beat. I like Robben's goal 20 seconds after Thierry Henry's goal and what a tough angle !

Looks like the Italians and the French will scrap one another for to advance in the group standings. The Romanians don't have a chance against the Netherlands.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

The Holland France game last night was the best game of football I have seen for years and years. There was some niggle from Makelele in the 1st half but the 2nd half flowed throughout - few fouls, no play-acting, superb refereeing, great sportsmanship. There was a period of uninterrupted play that went on for ages without the ball going dead. Full credit to France for never giving up but the Dutch were magnificent - can they keep this up? 7 goals against the 2 world cup finalists - some great goals too. At the end John Motson described it as 'international football of the highest quality' which sort of summed it up.

Anyone who didn't see it missed out on something really special. It brought home everything I always loved about football.
Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

Post by Stuart X.Hunter »

I agree with Mark.

Nice to see an ego-less Dutch team with emphasis on the word team. I still don't understand why Cruyff is putting his tuppence worth in against Van Basten. Cruyff is the ego...and the legacy of the ego Holland have carried for years. Remember '74...(it's ok, i don't either!) but after scoring in the first minute or so...the Dutch began to see there name in lights...cue the Germans! I have a feeling that this might get to them again...if Van Basten panics and decides to start with Robben/Van Persie.
Sure they shone last night but after some huge groundwork put in by Van der Vaart, De Jong (who for a guy smaller than Makalele was huge last night), the Horse (Ruud Van Nistelroy) and Ooijer (colossal...this guy plays for Blackburn!). Boularouhz and Van Bronckhorst were always willing outlets and Schneider/Kuyt whilst not particularly effective in an attacking sense always hurried and harrased the two one-dimensional French holding midfielders. Even ol' sleepy dawg Edwin was batting shots away as if they were mild interuptions to a sudoku puzzle. This is how the good managers become great. They emphasise the team...they get rid of the ego's...Seedorf decided to stay at home I see! Mourinho almost managed it at Chelsea...while he had previously excelled doing the same at Porto.

Domenech proved again that he was tactically inept...bottled it big time and went for the old guard. Ribery is the future of France but he cannot do everything in the attacking half of the field. Henry will now succumb to the journeyman footballer that he is (apart from a brief spell...sorry Arsenal fans but Wenger is getting as shrewd as Ferguson when moving players on). I remeber George Graham saying a few years back when asked if Henry was world-class the reply forthcoming was "give him to me and i'll teach him how to head a ball". Malouda/Govou...squad players at best. Makalele/Toulanan offerred nothing but cagey protection to there dismal centre back pairing of Gallas and Thuram. Evra and Sagnol were busy but unfortunately only Ribery was switched on too there attacking. Domenech' substitutions were appaling...who was the Christian Karembu look-a-like that wandered onto the pitch? I think he'll get the bullet soon after this tournament as resorting to ageing players with little hunger only works the once...you can't have continued last hurrah's!

Anyway...that'l be a decent offensive line-up for Real Madrid next season when Robben gains full-fitness. Along with Ronaldo...yes I believe he will be there...Fergie is just talking up the asking price at the minute. Ronaldo has already become a nuisance to him. I still believe CR has the ability to destroy the Primera league...with the exception of Zambrotta who seems to have him in his back-pocket a lot.

So...i think the ball is in Marco' court...will he bottle it against the Germans in the final?
Shoulders back, smash it
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

what both of you said!

great match hands down! felt a little sorry for my visitors last night but i was for the dutch.
I really hope they win it. even Van Nistelrooy cant believe it.

M
Design.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

I meant to single out Ribery for France in my initial post - he was absolutely terrific last night. What a player!

But what a game. For the neutral it doesn't get better than that. By the end, although I was supporting Holland, I didn't really care who won as it was so captivating.
Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

spacemanrich wrote:Wow, the Dutch seems to be the team to beat. I like Robben's goal 20 seconds after Thierry Henry's goal and what a tough angle !

Looks like the Italians and the French will scrap one another for to advance in the group standings. The Romanians don't have a chance against the Netherlands.
I thought the highlight was the camera on a dejected Henry and Gallas. I've said it before and I'll say it again...there is no more astute way to totally crush an opposing team than giving them a glimmer of hope only to snatch it away with a sucker-punch. Counter-attacking football is one of the hardest things to instill into a team...Man Utd, Dynamo Kiev (Shev & Rebrov) and now the Dutch.

I actually believe (as Holland are assured of progression) that the final two games will end in score-draws. Meaning that the Romanians will advance. I predicted 4-1 to the Dutch last night about 5pm...unfortunately the bookies up here shuts whenever it wants.

My QF predictions are;

Portugal (0) v Germany (3) - Frings and Lahm nullifying the Portugeuse threats with Ballack (1) & Klose (2) scoring
Croatia (1) v Czech Rep. (1) - Boring affair with the Croats going through on penalties.
Holland (2) v Greece (1) - Holland begining to get stage-fright, going a goal down only to comeback with a RVN double in the final 15mins.
Spain (3) v Romania (2) - This will be the "almost" game; the Spanish getting into a huge first-half lead and the Romanians who have been quite reserved so far, throwing caution to the wind scoring 2 early in the second half and fighting to get a third.

Germany will then maul the Croats in the semi with Holland squeezing past the Spanish on penalties.

Germany to win...Podolski top scorer...Van Nistelroy player of the tournament...Ballack feelin' the love lifting a half-decent trophy again...oh yeah...Croatia beating the Spanish convincingly in the third place play-off
:arrow:
Shoulders back, smash it
Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

runcible wrote:I meant to single out Ribery for France in my initial post - he was absolutely terrific last night. What a player!

But what a game. For the neutral it doesn't get better than that. By the end, although I was supporting Holland, I didn't really care who won as it was so captivating.
Ribery looks like a charchter out of La Haine (French slum movie) I think. Unfortunate chib out his face. He is wasted at Bayern...and would fit snuggly alongside Iniesta and Xavi at Barca.

If you look a little beyond ability...he has hunger. Hunger sadly lacking from the French team last night.
I can't believe the opted to leave Flamini at home! He reminds me of Ray Houghton with his busy style...sure he aint the most creative player but put someone next to him that can thread a pass (monsieur Ribery) and you have a sterling midfield.

That just leaves the wide areas...unfortunately for Domenech he decided to pick crap players. Where was Ben Arfa/N'Zogbia/Gourcuff. They have too many moody/sombre strikers....no Tevez/Kuyt/Rooney/RVN in that team willing to run themselves into the ground. Also a very startling omission of Mexes from the squad; a player who can recieve the ball at feet unlike Lilian and William. I think though the simple inclusion of Frey (GK) would sort out the back line...he is like Barthez in stature and ability (fewer gaffes) but never stops talking...next time Fiorentina are playing watch him closely...bundle of energy.

Anyway, all pie in the sky
Shoulders back, smash it
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

La Haine was a little difficult to watch. Real life in the slums of France. I think Group C is the toughest one, I don't know who will advance with the Dutch ? I think Italy and France will draw a tie and the Dutch will clobber the Romanians - what next ? who will advance on points then ?
ebbsandflows
Known user

Post by ebbsandflows »

Noooooooooooo!!!

Right, i'll have to give my kiss-of-death support to Croatia now. It's like the Czech republic just decided to stop playing. Fools! Still, great entertainment! Goal keeper red carded, man on bench yellow carded, Entire benches warned to sit down, winning after being behind 2-0, two goals in last 5 mins, blood, TWO head bandages (three if counting petr chec), some amazing football. I wanted the Czech republic to equalise just so the madness could continue into extra time. Com arn Euro 2008!!

. . . and more money lost to paddy (bastard) power . . .
ebbsandflows
Known user

Post by ebbsandflows »

Yawn . . . Tonight should be subtly more fun . . . Should be well scrappy and desparate between France and Italy. I demand some chest headbutting!
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

ebbsandflows wrote:Noooooooooooo!!!

Right, i'll have to give my kiss-of-death support to Croatia now. It's like the Czech republic just decided to stop playing. Fools! Still, great entertainment! Goal keeper red carded, man on bench yellow carded, Entire benches warned to sit down, winning after being behind 2-0, two goals in last 5 mins, blood, TWO head bandages (three if counting petr chec), some amazing football. I wanted the Czech republic to equalise just so the madness could continue into extra time. Com arn Euro 2008!!

. . . and more money lost to paddy (bastard) power . . .
:lol:

i've fallen completely in love with turkey!
but i also love when the italians rub it in the face of all you haters on here and hope to god they do it again with spain. :twisted: forza azzuri!
(don't think they will though).
gonna burn brightly
for a while
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

I still like Espana, but what I saw today as the Ruskies took care of the Dutch, I don't know. They mentioned the 'kiss of death' teams that won their groups and then lost during the quarterfinals i.e. - Croatia, Portugal, and now the Netherlands. Espana won their group easily and now face a somewhat lackluster Italian team, I wouldn't be shocked if Italia won (whom i hate) the way things have gone for other teams.

Damm, the Dutch defense was horrible tonite ! :oops:
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Italy v Germany final i reckon. Bad enough that Italy have gotten this far but they also seem to be managed by Wayne Coyne of The Flaming Lips :wink: Please don't let him sing, that'd be an all round too painful experience.
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Good game between Espana and Italia. The Italians are such sissies, they overdramatize and flop like fish out of water. One Italian player just got slightly clipped and he lunged forward about 1-2 feet twisting his body and crying like a baby and the commentator stated, " oh, it looks like he got hit by a sniper attack the way he is reacting ". I thought the Italians would win on PK's, since Espana hasn't beaten the Italians in a major soccer competition in 88 years !

I would like to see a Germany vs. Spain match and Spain winning it, but it'll probably be Turkey vs. Russia...
helterskelter
Known user

Post by helterskelter »

that game last night was one of the worst ones I've seen this year!

For drama I'd say Turkey or even Russia cause that means a sort of victory for England! I am joking however non qualification is slightly easier to handle when Russia and Croatia have done so well.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Goodbye Italy.
:D :lol: :D :lol: :D :lol: :D :lol: :D :lol: :D :lol: :D :lol: :D :lol: :D :lol: :D :lol: :D :lol: :D :lol:
ebbsandflows
Known user

Post by ebbsandflows »

Heheh, can't say as i'm too broken hearted about that either! A terrible game that only ended with two losers.

I WOULD say that it's all about Russia for me now but that would, of course, almost certainly ensure their complete flunking of the game on thursday. Still, as I have money (each way) on both Spain and Russia, i'm guaranteed some moolah! Hooray!

And of course, about 20 posts ago, I meant Chelsea, not Man U. Most embarassing, although as they're both scum it's surely an understandable mistake?

Got to be Russia and Germany in the final? Surely?
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Aaagh, couldn't and didn't watch the Germany vs. Turkey Game. Shite, couldn't figure out how to record on my vcr. Shit, i hope i know someone who taped, can't believe Germany scored in the 90th minute.

Hope better things to come for Spain tomorrow.

I'm hoping for this Final : Germany vs. Spain. Spain wins it all ! :lol:
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Wow, what a matchup : Espana vs. Germany. THE REIGN OF SPAIN !

I thought Russia had the momentum coming into the game, considering what they did to the Netherlands. But the Spanish kept their relenting attack style. I thought we would see a different Russian team, but it was the same one that lost to Spain two weeks ago.

I think Lehman will concede two or more goals, he looks suspect ?
ebbsandflows
Known user

Post by ebbsandflows »

That's another nation to let me down. They just seemed to give up after the first goal was scored! Although that may be taking some credit away from Spain who did play magnificently.

So i'm throwing my weight / curse behind Spain now. If i were you i'd re-mortgage you house and ben on Germany then. Should be a good match though.
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

I actually forgot that there was a Russian team in the second half. Spain scored one goal, I went upstairs, brushed my teeth, and when I came back downstairs, they had 3.

I'm hoping Spain will win it, but I'm not getting my hopes up.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Well there we go - the right team won. Lovely winning goal and deserved champions too. Viva Espana!
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Nice ending to a very good tournament. Shite, have to wait another four years for the next one or two more years for the World Cup.
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

an excellent final. is it me or has it been quite nice not having england? it's just been the best teams not the best names
ebbsandflows
Known user

Post by ebbsandflows »

Yup - good result. Congrats Spain.

It HAS been nice not having England - but it's also been dismal. On one hand we've not had to watch our beloveds doing that thing (again). But it's rubbish that they weren't even there.

Isn't it the world cup qualifiers pretty soon? Like this summer? I lose count.

Anyhow, i'm all over the Tour De France now. Money on the Schleck brothers, Carlos Sastre and team CSC. Now watch them all either crash out on the first day or be collectively banned for taking blood transfusions of unicorn blood. Seriously I know J and various rock and roll dignitaries go on about drugs but they'd be the first on the floor at a Tour party.
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

is wrote:
bunnyben wrote:an excellent final. is it me or has it been quite nice not having england? it's just been the best teams not the best names

Eh? What's that?

The 'stars' of the Premier League have been all over it, no? Although I suppose the likes of Lamps, Rio and Stevie G ARE attributed with about 20% more talent/etc than they actually posess, simply because they also qualify for In-Ger-Land...

It has been nice though, not having the hype. It's been suitably easy to ignore.
this really anoys me. just because premiership players are in the tournament does NOT mean that england are being represented. player of the tournament was Xavi who also plays in la leguea. that says more about the state of the english team than anything else. i don't see a player and go 'oh wow he played for derby in 1993!' the fact of the matter is the players that were playing were good players none of which were english or representive of england because english players are simply not good enough and it's about time we realised that.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

I think I enjoyed it more without England being in it. You have to go back to 1996 for real satisfaction for an England fan - disappointing performances litter subsequent appearances, and even in 1996 there was some good fortune (the Spain game).

The best World Cup I can ever remember was the American competition in 1994 - I enjoyed that more than any other, and England weren't there.

But this has been a cracking tournament alright. I'd rather Turkey hadn't been any good though...
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

is wrote:Hey - I didn't say that. That (look at how many players from England there are - let's support them!) thing, that is. It annoys me, too.

I think I was trying to lampoon that stance. In fact, I had in mind those foreign teams (France, notably - but there must be other equal illustrations) underachieved despite (because?) their ranks are filled with players who ply their trade in the soi dissant Best League in the World.

My other contention is that there is a cohort of players who get picked for England simply on the basis of being among the few eligible players in The Best League in the World.
sorry man, i think that was more aimed at the media thats been forced down my throat as opposed to a direct conversation with you, i apologise.
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

best team won hands down.
most germs i have spoken to agree that they were outplayed and out classed.

M
Design.
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

runcible wrote:I think I enjoyed it more without England being in it. You have to go back to 1996 for real satisfaction for an England fan - disappointing performances litter subsequent appearances, and even in 1996 there was some good fortune (the Spain game).

y'see, this works both ways :P

as much as i hate the english football team and the hype... no, actually it is better them not being involved but i still did miss the great joy when they get knocked down and knocked out at the quarterfinals.
even though it didn't knock them out, one of the fondest memories of my life is the night zidane beat them 2-1 in the last 5 minutes in 2004. god, that was GREAT.

but yea, spain deserved it. still woulda preferred them to lose for historys sake.

probably not quite the best tournament of my life, but still a fair old cut above the norm.
i'd rather turkey had won though. they are the heroes of this competition!
gonna burn brightly
for a while
ebbsandflows
Known user

Post by ebbsandflows »

Ouch!

You meanie . . . :wink:
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

jack white wrote:i'd rather turkey had won though. they are the heroes of this competition!
No way. Revolting lot - should have been banned from every competition after they attacked the Swiss players who eliminated them from the 2006 World Cup qualifiers. One Swiss player had to have genital surgery after the attack. The punishment? A three-match ban and they said it was only because Blatter was Swiss.

And that's without even getting into the Galatasary stuff.
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Yeah, I agree w/ Runcible. Would have been terrible if the Turks had won. They are a violent bunch, still they don't recognize the Armenian Genocide and they still kill the Kurds there.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

jack white wrote:
runcible wrote:I think I enjoyed it more without England being in it. You have to go back to 1996 for real satisfaction for an England fan - disappointing performances litter subsequent appearances, and even in 1996 there was some good fortune (the Spain game).

y'see, this works both ways :P

as much as i hate the english football team and the hype... no, actually it is better them not being involved but i still did miss the great joy when they get knocked down and knocked out at the quarterfinals.
even though it didn't knock them out, one of the fondest memories of my life is the night zidane beat them 2-1 in the last 5 minutes in 2004. god, that was GREAT.
Agreed, although I have no problem with the English team just the hype and bullshit that surrounds it. Would love to see them win something but Christ i'd be sick to the pit of my stomach as well!
Was delighted to be proved wrong by the Spaniards, hopefully some of it will translate to the Liverpool team next season. :D
ebbsandflows
Known user

Post by ebbsandflows »

I wanted my 100th post to be better than this . . . :|
ebbsandflows
Known user

Post by ebbsandflows »

Well anyway, Wrong topic i know but i'm not yet ready to start one maybe.

Just placed the kid's university fund on:

Cadel Evans
Denis Menchov
Andy Schleck
Christophe Moreau (all to win the Tour)

and
JM Soler
Frank Schleck
Andy Schleck (for king of the mountains comp)

This is a cue for half of them to be seriously injured in a starting pileup tomorrow. Should be fun though.

And Liverpool?! You'll need all the luck you can muster, we* may be a division below but we'll be nipping your heels in a year or two. If not then we'll simply buy you instead.

*QPR of course - apparently we've put a bid in for Christiano Ronaldo so we can make him dance at half time to keep the crowds amused.