Running With Jesus...

For anything else...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, spzretent, MODLAB, NightWash

warmgun.
Known user

Running With Jesus...

Post by warmgun. »

Does anyone else here work out to Spiritualized/Spacemen 3? I realise that it's not very cool nor very rock and roll to admit to actually exercising, and it doesn't exactly jibe with the Spiritualized ethos if you will, but some of it actually makes for good music to run to... There's something about getting lost in the repetition, drones, driving rhythms found in many of the songs that seems to work/help motivate...

Electric Mainline into Lay Back In The Sun is a pretty good example. Medication builds quite nicely too...

Just wonderin' :D
ebbsandflows
Known user

Re: Running With Jesus...

Post by ebbsandflows »

Personally i take old videos of Mr Motivator with the volume down, put "the individual" on repeat and turn the volume right up. I've lost three trouser sizes in two months . . .
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

warmgun, I'm with you.
the intro/shine a light/electric mainline from Royal Albert Hall is perfect.
endorphins are great!
my friend and I rewrote "I'm waiting for my man" as "I'm waiting for the eliptical crosstrainer"
warmgun.
Known user

Post by warmgun. »

Ro,

I'd honestly never thought of the R.A.H. album... extra motivational!!!
tramboy
Known user

Post by tramboy »

i dont know about running but pure phase, the track off the album loops wonderfully on itunes and believe me - i have sat for many a day in the office with that playing over and over and over.
something magical about it - at the risk of coming all over jim morrison, you can get into yourselfwith it on loop.

try it for a hour -
Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

Post by Stuart X.Hunter »

warmgun. wrote:Does anyone else here work out to Spiritualized/Spacemen 3?
What? Yoga?

I've always ran with Madonna songs in my head...seems to help.
Shoulders back, smash it
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

running? why?????????????????????????
'raging and weeping are left on the early road
now each in his holy hill
the glittering and hurting days are alomst done
then let us compare mythologies
i have learned my elaborate lie
of soaring crosses and poisened thorns'
warmgun.
Known user

Post by warmgun. »

running? why?????????????????????????
Why not? It's endorsed by Jason after all - Run. Not to mention the Velvets - Run Run Run... Maybe it is kinda rock and roll... :D
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

warmgun. wrote: Why not? It's endorsed by Jason after all - Run.
hahahaa!

yeah, the RAH sequence is great cause it's just about 20 minutes which is all the exercise I can handle at one time.

there's someone who posts here was talking about running a PE class for kids and had them do jumping jacks to LGM? can't quite remember the details but I love that image.
Shaun
Known user

Post by Shaun »

I've walked down from the summit of mountains in awe of some seriously stunning and equally spectacular panoramic views while listening to classical music.
What more can the heart of a man desire?
warmgun.
Known user

Post by warmgun. »

ro wrote:...a PE class for kids and had them do jumping jacks to LGM...
Sounds like a scene from a Wes Anderson film... in slo-mo of course!
nghst
Known user

Post by nghst »

I was going to start a new thread on exercising to Spiritualized, but instead found this when I was looking to see if there had already been something similar on the forum. I had been listening to a lot of Spiritualized while running on a treadmill at the local Planet Fitness. That has now been closed for about a month due to the Corona virus, so I've been running at a park on a 1.5 mile loop around a pond. I normally just look down in front of me focusing on my pace and on not getting distracted, but was listening to LGM and Shine a Light in particular and as I rounded a corner I looked up and I saw the sun almost directly above me shining down on me. It seems to me that running or some other form of exercise heightens the power of the music you may be listening to. I love those chills I get when part of a song hits me.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I think exercising is cool. I started running and doing some basic exercises at home a few years ago and my weight came down and I feel better about myself. Also, I can fit into my tight rock n roll clothing better! I made a playlist for running last year with "On Fire" on it, which is a good psych-up song. Never tried running to a full Spiritualized album, though. Might have to give it a try.
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

https://faroutmagazine.co.uk/the-clashs ... s-of-beer/

I think the stories of this guy are an inspiration. I did something similar a few years ago with a Liverpool half marathon that I hadn't trained for, so had pretty much decided I wouldn't be doing it. Went round to friends house the night before and got trashed until the early hours...and then somehow found myself up and about early and I made it to the start (and finish) line. Surprisingly good time, with an afternoon of drinking to follow.

I tend to run with my daughter now and we do parkruns, so I've ditched the head phones in recent years. I did however find the a live spirituailzed show would pick up my pace noticeably. That and AC/DC.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

nghst wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:27 pm I was going to start a new thread on exercising to Spiritualized, but instead found this when I was looking to see if there had already been something similar on the forum. I had been listening to a lot of Spiritualized while running on a treadmill at the local Planet Fitness. That has now been closed for about a month due to the Corona virus, so I've been running at a park on a 1.5 mile loop around a pond. I normally just look down in front of me focusing on my pace and on not getting distracted, but was listening to LGM and Shine a Light in particular and as I rounded a corner I looked up and I saw the sun almost directly above me shining down on me. It seems to me that running or some other form of exercise heightens the power of the music you may be listening to. I love those chills I get when part of a song hits me.
I can't help but think you've completely missed the message the universe was trying to give you! :wink:
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
nghst
Known user

Post by nghst »

I just bought an elliptical machine and am hoping to find interesting videos to watch while I work out. I'll be listening to Spiritualized and I am desirous of finding light shows or trippy animation to watch while I stride. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!