If you could bring a dead rock star back to life

For anything else...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, spzretent, MODLAB, NightWash

Spiritinthesky
Known user

If you could bring a dead rock star back to life

Post by Spiritinthesky »

If you could bring a dead rock star back to life for one gig, who would it be?

John Lennon, Jimi Hendrix, Elvis, Kurt Cobain, Buddy Holly, Freddie Mercury? Or someone else?

This Day in Music are carrying out a world-wide survey to see which dead rock stars people would want to see again - for one night only!

Who would you pick? You can see a full list and vote on
http://www.thisdayinmusic.com
purespace
Known user

Re: If you could bring a dead rock star back to life

Post by purespace »

Janis Joplin pre-blown out vocals
I think I feel it coming on
feetsies
Known user

Post by feetsies »

The singer for Brainiac, who's name escapes me right now. Best show ever.
I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself.
A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.
-D. H. Lawrence
sunny
Site Admin

Post by sunny »

Probably not qualified as a rock star because of the style of music he played, but he will always be a rockstar in my mind;

Django Reinhardt
'Come and rock and roll me over, Let's get this damn job over.'
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

G G Allin?
feetsies
Known user

Post by feetsies »

Why? So you can pee in his mouth? lol
A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.
-D. H. Lawrence
supershonn
Known user

Post by supershonn »

yeah sunny, that was my line of thinking as well. but i picked Skip James. he was a badass mofo. so he rocks.
nickh
Known user

Post by nickh »

Tracey Pew
sunny
Site Admin

Post by sunny »

supershonn wrote:yeah sunny, that was my line of thinking as well. but i picked Skip James. he was a badass mofo. so he rocks.

Skip James is a good choice!
nickh wrote:Tracey Pew
There's a name I'd forgotten. What's Rowland S. Howard up to now (if he's alive)?
'Come and rock and roll me over, Let's get this damn job over.'
norrin radd
Known user

Post by norrin radd »

frank zappa, i'm sure he'd have a lot to say about the world at the minute

oh, and captain beefheart (he might as well be dead)
ebbsandflows
Known user

Post by ebbsandflows »

Elliott Smith. Neither "Rock" nor particularly a "star", but that's who I'd use the magic spell on.

Worst mistake of my life was choosing to see Moby over him at some Glastonbury a while ago. Went with my friends. Moby was shit. Smith now dead. Although this magic you talk of is intrigueing. . . .
rameses
Known user

Post by rameses »

W.A. Mozart :twisted:

Sorry, just in that kind of mood today.
It's nice to be liked,
But it's better by far to get paid.
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

noel gallagher
'raging and weeping are left on the early road
now each in his holy hill
the glittering and hurting days are alomst done
then let us compare mythologies
i have learned my elaborate lie
of soaring crosses and poisened thorns'
radioshack
Known user

Post by radioshack »

I hate to be very very boring, but I would have to say...

Lennon. I think he was starting to write some great songs again, particularly in 1980 he recorded some songs I really like (Real Love, Grow Old With Me, Free As A Bird)

I think if Cobain had lived a little longer he would have made a great acoustic-type album. Just one unplugged album of new material from him would have been enough for me.

I think Hendrix would probably be the way Eric Clapton is today if he were still around.
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

Hendrix is alive and has been living with me this whole time. We like our privacy. cheers.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

bunnyben wrote:noel gallagher
:lol:
nickh
Known user

Post by nickh »

sunny wrote:
supershonn wrote:yeah sunny, that was my line of thinking as well. but i picked Skip James. he was a badass mofo. so he rocks.

Skip James is a good choice!
nickh wrote:Tracey Pew
There's a name I'd forgotten. What's Rowland S. Howard up to now (if he's alive)?

Alive, well and quite busy according to his MySpace page. I wonder what ever happened to the singer in the Birthday Party.

:wink:
feetsies
Known user

Post by feetsies »

ebbsandflows wrote:Elliott Smith. Neither "Rock" nor particularly a "star", but that's who I'd use the magic spell on.

Worst mistake of my life was choosing to see Moby over him at some Glastonbury a while ago. Went with my friends. Moby was shit. Smith now dead. Although this magic you talk of is intrigueing. . . .
good call. that guy was so hit and miss. When he was on, it was beautiful. But unfortunately those were far and few between in the shows I saw. There were times that I wanted my money back.
-D. H. Lawrence
Spiritinthesky
Known user

Post by Spiritinthesky »

Just had a look at the results so far, John Lennon in third, Elvis Presley is second and John Bonham from Led Zepp has the most votes at the moment.

I would've thought John Lennon would win this no problem? Freddie Mercury is in forth place, Hendrix is in fifth and Kurt Cobain in sixth.
ebbsandflows
Known user

Post by ebbsandflows »

We've been fools!!

Jeff Buckley! D'uh!

ps Thanks Feetsies, I can now assume that that glasto was one of Elliott's "miss" occasions and that it would have destroyed my vision of the man. I've not slept so well in years . . .
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Kurt.
O P 8
The Kwisatz Haderach
Known user

Post by The Kwisatz Haderach »

Sterling Morrison!

He could be joined on stage by special guests, Lou Reed, John Cale, Doug Yule and Mo Tucker as his backing band!
ArcLight
Known user

Post by ArcLight »

If we can expand rock star a little then hands down it's got to be James Brown. Always entertain with his colourful exploits and one damn funky mofo. How many influences do you hear from him and his band everywhere you turn? Imagine a world with no funky drummer. Soul Power.
twentysixdollars
Known user

Post by twentysixdollars »

*sigh*

Otis Redding.
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

townes van zandt
gonna burn brightly
for a while
rameses
Known user

Post by rameses »

I know I've already 'voted' but I'd like to change my mind..

Joe Strummer.
It's nice to be liked,
But it's better by far to get paid.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Hendrix.

He could make an appearance on a version of YLYC..
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

This is slightly tenuous as I know these polls are only a laugh but Im not sure I want to bring anyone back. theres legends who have passed on who's music I adore but look at how things span out for those legends left? a reunion gig at the O2, a new album with Elton John on it. A messy divorce in the media limelight. Sure it would be great to have Keith Moon or whoever back but the fact they are gone preserves there memory as it should be. Imagine a Hendrix album now? Jimi plays boogie woogie with Jules Holland. Horrible. If I had to deside I'd say someone who died recently, maybe the girl who got knocked of her bike from Stereolab, or the guy that commited suicide from Feeder, Or Richie Manic?? just so there mates could carry on with there lives without that loss. sorry a little heavy,...
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

Frank Zappa, without a doubt.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

simonkeeping wrote:This is slightly tenuous as I know these polls are only a laugh but Im not sure I want to bring anyone back. theres legends who have passed on who's music I adore but look at how things span out for those legends left? a reunion gig at the O2, a new album with Elton John on it. A messy divorce in the media limelight. Sure it would be great to have Keith Moon or whoever back but the fact they are gone preserves there memory as it should be. Imagine a Hendrix album now? Jimi plays boogie woogie with Jules Holland. Horrible. If I had to deside I'd say someone who died recently, maybe the girl who got knocked of her bike from Stereolab, or the guy that commited suicide from Feeder, Or Richie Manic?? just so there mates could carry on with there lives without that loss. sorry a little heavy,...
a good point.. its hard to know whether Hendrix would be making some Loveless-meets-ladies and gents masterpiece today.. or releasing an album through Starbucks with him playing some licks with Christine Aguilera and Timberlake..
scratch
Known user

Post by scratch »

If hendrix was alive he would either be playing some weird esoteric fusion jazz-funk or producing whitney houston (or both).
Lennon was developing a really nasty pop sound by the end; if he was alive I bet he would write songs for disney/pixar movies like Elton does..

Howlin Wolf or babba mali/pita tosch
"the greatest example of self-violation in the history of art"
scratch
Known user

Post by scratch »

nickh wrote:I wonder what ever happened to the singer in the Birthday Party.
:wink:
He started going to therapy and now makes music for old farts and pop girls in their thirties with too much make-up and wants something slightly more dangerous than dido/coldplay
"the greatest example of self-violation in the history of art"
ebbsandflows
Known user

Post by ebbsandflows »

True story! Mind, it'd be more tragic if he were still doing the same thing as he was then. Young people SHOULD grow old - i mean, did anyone SEE Jimmy Page at the Olympics? Has anyone SEEN Robert Plant recently? It's just embarrassing. I know Iggy can kinda pull it off but, you know what? At risk of creating enemies - i don't think he CAN pull it off any more. He's just old, sinewy and kinda embarassing.

I remember seeing him 12 or so years ago (he was pretty old even then) and i was blown away. Completely enthralled! Took Mrs Ebbs to see him at last years Glastonbury and was dead excited for her. 10 minutes in I just felt embarassed and apologetic. It was like Karaoke at the retirement home. What's more is it just wasn't very good. Sex Pistols Ditto. Same with the plethora of 80s / 90s indie bands making (tax return) comebacks. My Bloody Valentine should take heed.

My theory? It's 12 steppers - they just can't let go and move on . . . .

(rant over)
herman
Known user

Post by herman »

I would go for a full dead line up:

jimi Hendrix and brian jones on guitar
the ox on bass
john bonham on drums
coltrane on sax
miles davis on horns
zappa on vox

should rock at least!
"Thank you"
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

ebbsandflows wrote: Young people SHOULD grow old - i mean, did anyone SEE Jimmy Page at the Olympics? Has anyone SEEN Robert Plant recently? It's just embarrassing.
I saw both of them at the Ahmet Ergun event last December and they fucking kicked arse!
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

ebbsandflows wrote:It was like Karaoke at the retirement home. What's more is it just wasn't very good. Sex Pistols Ditto. Same with the plethora of 80s / 90s indie bands making (tax return) comebacks. My Bloody Valentine should take heed.

(rant over)
What do you want? The book hasn't been written on exactly what age is too old. Ask most Blues elder statesmen.
The Rolling Stones can still pull it off, live anyway. And I saw Iggy/Stooges about 6 years ago and it was amazing. Neil Young looks old and he still rocks. Maybe i've lowered my expectations(but i dont think so).
And I think these bands have earned the right to put out records and play live if people still want to see them and listen to them.
This is the first shot at MBV i've heard too.
Who's next? Spiritualized?
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
ebbsandflows
Known user

Post by ebbsandflows »

Spiritualized?!?! Don't get me started on THOSE gobshites! *shakes fist*

No, you are quite right, quite right. One mustn't impose age restrictions - ageism is rife insipid and rather ugly.

However, I think there is something rather graceful about Nick Cave's honesty and progression. You rarely get the feeling that the man is trying to re-live past glories or snatch for something he used to have - rather he gives the impression of a man at easy with himself musically producing the kind of music that he wants to.

I think this is one of the reasons I like A & E so much. It sounds like Spiritualized have stopped trying to make the Spiritualized sound and have started playing music again.

Iggy pop, I fear, has become trapped within a self created image of himself. Whilst he may well be able to rock and do great gigs - this kind of try hard re-creation, for me, has the same empty feel as a Brit school Kooksesque band with practiced sneers and studied "cool". You are right though - The Rolling Stones have somehow managed it, I'm not sure why or how but they appear to continue with dignity.

There must be more than a few people here whose hearts sank on hearing about revivals from: The Wonderstuff, Carter USM, EMF, Bernard Butler and Brett Anderson, Jesus and Mary Chain. Even though I was utterly overjoyed, my heart sank upon hearing My Bloody Valentine's return. The inhumane strength of Loveless has meant that they too have pulled it off - but without new and different material, they will soon become their own pastiche, and THAT would truly break my heart.

For me - if a band stay still musically, they move backwards. (The ranty nature of the previous post can be more accurately attributed to certain work colleagues than the subject matter - although I stand by the content.) :)
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

spzretent wrote:
ebbsandflows wrote:It was like Karaoke at the retirement home. What's more is it just wasn't very good. Sex Pistols Ditto. Same with the plethora of 80s / 90s indie bands making (tax return) comebacks. My Bloody Valentine should take heed.

(rant over)
What do you want? The book hasn't been written on exactly what age is too old. Ask most Blues elder statesmen.
The Rolling Stones can still pull it off, live anyway. And I saw Iggy/Stooges about 6 years ago and it was amazing. Neil Young looks old and he still rocks. Maybe i've lowered my expectations(but i dont think so).
And I think these bands have earned the right to put out records and play live if people still want to see them and listen to them.
This is the first shot at MBV i've heard too.
Who's next? Spiritualized?
did you see the allen mcgee interview where he called the mbv comeback shows as 'cabaret' ?
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

bunnyben wrote:
did you see the allen mcgee interview where he called the mbv comeback shows as 'cabaret' ?
Its not like he's objective. Especially if you read his Creation book.
ebbsandflows
Known user

Post by ebbsandflows »

Didn't he also say that Ride were the main event and that My Bloody Valentine were a sidewhow? I do love Ride but that's not particularly objective. I think the man may still be a bit bitter about all that money. I, however, am still bitter about all that Oasis.
Sonny Munns
Known user

Post by Sonny Munns »

Rob Tyner
There's no telling the void that would exist if the MC5 never were. there might not have been a Spacemen 3 without them.
I got a bootleg copy of the MC5-A True Testimonial about a year ago and it changed my life. It pains me that Wayne Kramer of all people (esspecially after seeing it) is holding up the films release...

Oh, I'd also like to have Gram Parsons and Buck Owens back.
talking about music is like dancing about architecture
natty
Known user

Post by natty »

Who knows? Maybe they were just out of shit. (Doug Stanhope)
Sonny Munns
Known user

Post by Sonny Munns »

Sonny Munns wrote:Rob Tyner
There's no telling the void that would exist if the MC5 never were. there might not have been a Spacemen 3 without them.
I got a bootleg copy of the MC5-A True Testimonial about a year ago and it changed my life. It pains me that Wayne Kramer of all people (esspecially after seeing it) is holding up the films release...

Oh, I'd also like to have Gram Parsons and Buck Owens back.

OOps, I forgot Fred Smith, D'oh! :shock:
talking about music is like dancing about architecture
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

woody guthrie, hank willaims and johnny cash. now THAT would be a show line up
colin macklin
Known user

Post by colin macklin »

Not really a "rock star" as such, but I'd like to bring Robert Johnson back to life. Despite his very small catalogue of recorded music (just 20 odd tunes), he's still revered by fans of old school blues everywhere. He had a shit-hot voice and some pretty sweet tunes; played guitar like a demon as well. I'd like to hear some collaborations between Johnson and perhaps some guys like Tom Waits, Mark Linkous and Eels.

Failing Johnson, I'd like to bring Jeff Buckley back from the dead. One of the best voices I've ever heard, straight up. 'Grace' is a near perfect album; I'd love to know what he would've done next (the posthumous releases give us a clue but as they were only demos and outtakes, they leave alot to be desired).
Fuzzhead
Known user

Post by Fuzzhead »

Jeffrey Lee Pierce.
nickh
Known user

Post by nickh »

Good call, I still love Jack on Fire after 24 odd years of first hearing it. Never got to see the Gun Club but saw Jeffrey Lee Pierce singing Uptight with Die Haut at the Clapham Grand quite a few years ago. Henry Rollins’ 2.13.61 label put out his autobiography (Go Tell the Mountain), a harrowing read at times but a great character.
Chris Barrus
Known user

Post by Chris Barrus »

Link Wray. Saw him in the mid-90s and it was an amazing experience. Can only imagine what he sounded like in 1958!

Also John McGeoch. Saw him with PIL in the 80s and was also knocked out.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Pete De Frietas. never thought i'd pick a drummer but man was he good.
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

spzretent wrote:Pete De Frietas. never thought i'd pick a drummer but man was he good.
did you get a chance to see ocean rain in ny?
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

no. I'm not too close to NYC. But I gave up on the Bunnymen years ago. They played a free gig here about 3 or 4 years ago that I blew off.
The first 5 records are essential though. Especially the underrated S/T fith lp w/the grey black photo cover.
Porcupine easily remains my favorite.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

spzretent wrote: The first 5 records are essential though. Especially the underreated S/T fith lp w/the grey black photo cover.
Agreed. That 5th album contains 'New Direction' which features one of the most gorgeous guitar solos Will Sargeant ever played - it goes on for ever. Absolute perfection.
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

have you heard the grey album demos? show's what a great album it coulda been

edit:

i've found some of them, enjoy!

http://thistwillightgarden.blogspot.com ... en-ii.html
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

i love the 'grey album' as it is.

the only one of those first five i dont like is crocodiles
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

I'm going to check out those demos later. thanks.
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

angelsighs wrote:i love the 'grey album' as it is.

what do you think of the post reform work and electrfixon?
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

bunnyben wrote:
angelsighs wrote:i love the 'grey album' as it is.

what do you think of the post reform work and electrfixon?
not that familiar with the recent stuff but have heard a couple of tunes here and there which sounded pretty good.