Anybody else on this forum a Tom Waits fan?

For anything else...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, spzretent, MODLAB, NightWash

colin macklin
Known user

Anybody else on this forum a Tom Waits fan?

Post by colin macklin »

I was just wondering if anybody else here is a Tom Waits fan? To be honest, all I've really been listening to this year is Tom Waits, especially 'Real Gone' and 'Alice'. I wanted to see him on the UK tour he did over the summer but as he wasn't playing London, the nearest show to me was in Edinburgh and was way out of my price range. Did anybody catch any of the shows? I'd like to hear some of your reviews. Cheers.
gottafire
Known user

Re: Anybody else on this forum a Tom Waits fan?

Post by gottafire »

A friend of mine recorded the show on the 30th July at the Ratceller in Dublin I think it was. I can see if he transferred it yet for you if you like?
http://spiritualizedelectricmainline.blogspot.com/

The place for live Spiritualized®!!

Now with added Tufty power!!!
rameses
Known user

Post by rameses »

I'm a sort of fan. I don't have much of his stuff. Swordfishtrombones and Frank's wild years are probably the only two albums I can name - but I love it. If you want to here a gig from the recent tour check here.
It's nice to be liked,
But it's better by far to get paid.
cantona
Known user

Post by cantona »

I saw him in Barcelona in the summer and it was except a few songs a very good concert. The band played sometimes maybe a little too neatly but Waits rusty voice was as it should be.
sunny
Site Admin

Post by sunny »

colin macklin wrote:I was just wondering if anybody else here is a Tom Waits fan? To be honest, all I've really been listening to this year is Tom Waits, especially 'Real Gone' and 'Alice'. I wanted to see him on the UK tour he did over the summer but as he wasn't playing London, the nearest show to me was in Edinburgh and was way out of my price range. Did anybody catch any of the shows? I'd like to hear some of your reviews. Cheers.
I'm hugely into Mr Waits. His gigs are extremely pricey and I missed his London gig. Which was disappointing since he rarely plays here. But a friend gave me a DVD boot of one of the gigs (great!).
'Come and rock and roll me over, Let's get this damn job over.'
supershonn
Known user

Post by supershonn »

who? never heard of him.

ha! if you are a Tom Waits fan you'll know who "Joe and Sal" are, well Joe is the owner of the house i live in.

we love tom, my girlfriend even painted him on a utility box that was comissioned by the city of San Diego. over the summer we went to Phoenix to see his first date of the 'glitter and doom' tour.

p/s- if you don't know who 'joe and sal' are they own Napoleons PIzzeria where tom worked and sang about.
colin macklin
Known user

Post by colin macklin »

gottafire wrote:A friend of mine recorded the show on the 30th July at the Ratceller in Dublin I think it was. I can see if he transferred it yet for you if you like?
That would great, thanks alot. I'd like to hear it. I heard great things about the recent tour but it was way to expensive for me. Ah well.
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

i love his looking for the heart vibe albums, friiiiidayyyyyyyyy left me fumbling with the bluessssssssss
'raging and weeping are left on the early road
now each in his holy hill
the glittering and hurting days are alomst done
then let us compare mythologies
i have learned my elaborate lie
of soaring crosses and poisened thorns'
jahman
Known user

Post by jahman »

I saw him in Dallas this summer. totally insane. 15 mins before he went on the venue turned off the air conditioning. Bartenders and staff all said this was per Mr. Waits request. He also had all the bars serving drinks shut down but one at the back. This was in a huge warehouse in Texas in the middle of July. After 30 mins people started leaving and passing out. they finally turned it back on after 3 EMS teams showed up.
So, the last 20 mins of the show was great, but the rest was Hell. There was some speculation that this was his revenge on Texas for one of his crew getting beat up by bouncers at a club during SXSW in 1994. In which he vowed never to play the state again. Needless to say, the man can hold a grudge...
beefyheart1
New user

Post by beefyheart1 »

^^^^great story...sounds about right.^^^^^

His recent 3 disk set, Orphans, is pretty decent. But in general, you can't go wrong with anything in his catalougue. I thought "Blood Money" was considerably better than "Alice".
colin macklin
Known user

Post by colin macklin »

beefyheart1 wrote:^^^^great story...sounds about right.^^^^^

His recent 3 disk set, Orphans, is pretty decent. But in general, you can't go wrong with anything in his catalougue. I thought "Blood Money" was considerably better than "Alice".
Really? Personally, I think that 'Alice' is one of his best albums. I liked 'Blood Money' but I really like the atmosphere of 'Alice'; I think it's the clarinets. 'Orphans' is awesome, though.