40 Years - 40 Things To Do

For anything else...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, spzretent, MODLAB, NightWash

rameses
Known user

40 Years - 40 Things To Do

Post by rameses »

It was my 39th birthday last week and as part of a drunken conversation with a friend I've set myself the challenge of doing forty new things before I'm 40. If they can be 40 orientated so much the better. So any suggestions - (obviously it's got to be legal :wink: )

A few I already have in mind are
1) Complete London Marathon (I have entered before but didn't get all the way round)
2) Read 40 books
3) 'Discover' 40 bands
4) Walk 40 miles in one go (something around the English Lakes or Scottish Borders)
It's nice to be liked,
But it's better by far to get paid.
bunnyben
Known user

Re: 40 Years - 40 Things To Do

Post by bunnyben »

help 40 people no matter how big or small the help is
'raging and weeping are left on the early road
now each in his holy hill
the glittering and hurting days are alomst done
then let us compare mythologies
i have learned my elaborate lie
of soaring crosses and poisened thorns'
supershonn
Known user

Post by supershonn »

hey Rameses,

my pop did the same thing, but his was before he turned 50. so between 40-50 he completed the following:

san diego marathon - 4 hours 28 minutes (they were literally taking down the finish line when he crossed)

became fluent in French

got his private pilots license

recieved his credentials for Chinese cooking

and probably most important, the first thing he did on his 40th birthday was to quit smoking!

how strange, his birthday was yesterday and he turned 67!

good luck on your quest Rameses.

me.
sunny
Site Admin

Post by sunny »

Your dad got a pilot license?! I want that!!! And I just turned 40... it must be time!
And I want to learn Kung Fu, Mandarin and Chinese Calligraphy (all of which I can do at my local Shaolin temple). And I need a bunker or large metal drum or crate - for customized reverb and there's that homemade string instrument/wrought iron grid I never had time to put pickups on. And I have a couple of invention ideas just lying around...and I never bothered looking into how to patent stuff. Never finished making my skin potions either, argh , forty is too short a list really. I have 40 new things per week. I need a few more lifetimes. :D
'Come and rock and roll me over, Let's get this damn job over.'
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

This is a great thread. I turn 40 in January. I like bunnyben's reply. I do my best to help. I bought a new coat last week and gave my old one to a homeless guy. We also recently upgraded our cell phones and gave the older ones to a Women's shelter home. That made me feel good.

Is it just me or have others noticed a considerable increase of homeless in their cities? I take a bus to work and the number of people sleeping on the street or hanging around by shelters in Portland seems to have swelled in recent months. :cry:
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

i try to start everyday by doing something nice for someone else. It could be letting someone in traffic, opening a door, giving someone spare change, donating clothes to a charity whatever.
I firmly believe in Karma(thought I dont wait around to get repaid).
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

spzretent wrote: I firmly believe in Karma(thought I dont wait around to get repaid).
Right on, bro.
Shaun
Known user

Post by Shaun »

Travel from London to Fort William on the Caledonian Sleeper.
Don't cut your hair for a year.
Have Sunday lunch at Marco Pierre White's pub, The Yew Tree.
Sneak into a festival.
Have a top 40 hit.
Buy us all a drink.
Trip on one thousand magic mushrooms.
Audition for the X Factor.
The Three Peaks Challenge.
Travel on the Eurostar.
Spend New Years Eve in New York City.
Find my iPod that i've lost.
Paint the town red dressed in Drag.
Walk Hadrian's Wall, East to West.
Help vote Labour out.
Watch "Into The Wild."
Visit Volcanic Tongue AND Mono, both in Glasgow.
Attend a 6 Nations Rugby Union match.
Bend the rules.
And,
Do it all over again.

p/s.........A belated Happy Birthday for last week.
What more can the heart of a man desire?
helm
Known user

Post by helm »

wear a high vis and pretend to direct traffic
streak at a MINOR sporting event
get your picture taken with a 'bloke' off of the telly (eg. Bill Oddie)
go vegan for a week
go to a pub with a hundred different beers and slowly get through them (which is what i'm doing for my stag do)...
Shaun
Known user

Post by Shaun »

p/p/s...

Tell American Immagration officals to stop being the most wretched and devoid of sense of humour people ever.
Buy a season ticket at Molineux.
supershonn
Known user

Post by supershonn »

The Jig wrote:p/p/s...

Tell American Immagration officals to stop being the most wretched and devoid of sense of humour people ever.
i concur.

i'll add 'hike a volcano'.
Greeny
Known user

Post by Greeny »

Go to Vegas and have a drink in the revolving bar at Circus Circus

Or if you're me:

Spend lots and lots of money on an all carbon fibre road racing bike then arrange to ride it all the way up Mont Ventoux, the climb even the Tour de France pros fear....
supershonn
Known user

Post by supershonn »

[quote="Greeny"]Go to Vegas and have a drink in the revolving bar at Circus Circus

i've done that, it was a let down, not at all what we were expecting. stick with the cycling!
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

supershonn wrote:
The Jig wrote:p/p/s...

i concur.

i'll add 'hike a volcano'.
I've yet to meet any gregarious immigragtion officials anywhere in the world. Detroit used to be so bad I would fly via Minneapolis or Boston just to avoid Customs in Detroit.
supershonn
Known user

Post by supershonn »

what is it with our customs officials?? they treat you like a full blown criminal. granted i usually look pretty crappy and probably smell rather ripe, but i've just come from traveling for months and it's the worst way to be welcomed back home. i was detained in LA for hours a few years back. i told the story elsewhere on the site, but to recap i shoved all my unmentionables into my acoustic guitar so it wouldnt get damaged on the return flight, the inspector wasn't too happy when he was pulling them out!

hey, i think i got even!
porkchop
Known user

Post by porkchop »

that's hilarious shonn!
rameses
Known user

Post by rameses »

Greeny wrote:Go to Vegas and have a drink in the revolving bar at Circus Circus
Been to Vegas but didn't go to the Circus Circus. I had a funny experience with the US Customs / Immigration at the airport. I went through a big walk through metal detector and it went off so I got pulled to one side and was rechecked with a metal detector 'wand'. This didn't go off so the guy let me go. He then discovered his wand had no batteries in it :roll: so he called me back for another check. Again I was ok as I think it was my belt buckle that set the first detector off, but he didn't look too pleased when I commented about how many other people he'd let through who might be dodgy. :wink:
It's nice to be liked,
But it's better by far to get paid.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

living in a border town there are some hilarious stories about Immigration here in Detroit. Like the time I was pulled over for setting off some super secret sensor that said I registed for some sort of banned substance. I thought this was some dubious reason but when we entered the office it was an older guy at the next drive thru customs booth who was on heart medication who was told the same thing.
Or being behind people puking in line who had been to Canada drinking(drinking age is 19 there not 21). Also people pissing in the tunnel and getting busted.
supershonn
Known user

Post by supershonn »

ahhh spz, let's not go to international crossings, the Tijuana border crossing is notorioius for chaos. i just heard that the other day someone pulled a tourist out of line and kidnapped her!!!
Shaun
Known user

Post by Shaun »

supershonn wrote:what is it with our customs officials?? they treat you like a full blown criminal. granted i usually look pretty crappy and probably smell rather ripe, but i've just come from traveling for months and it's the worst way to be welcomed back home. i was detained in LA for hours a few years back. i told the story elsewhere on the site, but to recap i shoved all my unmentionables into my acoustic guitar so it wouldnt get damaged on the return flight, the inspector wasn't too happy when he was pulling them out!

hey, i think i got even!
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Shonn, sounds like you got more than even on that day.