LAGWAFIS vinyl lp

For anything else...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, spzretent, MODLAB, NightWash

hangingsmoke
New user

LAGWAFIS vinyl lp

Post by hangingsmoke »

does anyone know exactly how many copies of the ladies and gentlemen vinyl were pressed? i heard there was a recall of them as well, is this because of the elvis version of the song? any details would be greatly appreciated.
supershonn
Known user

Re: LAGWAFIS vinyl lp

Post by supershonn »

a. not enough

b. yes

if you have one, i'll buy it off of you, no questions asked!

me.
JPB
Known user

Post by JPB »

I think they were recalled due to a fault with the pressing - the Elvis lyrics never made it to vinyl - only the cd promo.

I have a mint condition spare disc 2 of the vinyl set if anyone has a spare disc 1... One copy I bought had two disc 2's in for some reason.
dselevan2
Known user

Post by dselevan2 »

I don't think my vinyl copy is the Elvis version.

Fault in the pressing would explain my mint edition copy SKIPS DARNET. I'm a big fan of vinyl, but this record sounds better WITHOUT the skips on CD. Same thing for LAZER GUIDED MELODIES. I have 2 copies on vinyl, both sound very cheap.
JPB
Known user

Post by JPB »

I would agree that Ladies and Gents doesn't quite work on vinyl. Nor does Pure Phase. However, everything else sounds fantastic on vinyl - especially FUI and LICD.
laid back in the sun
Known user

Post by laid back in the sun »

2000 copies on vinyl
hey man theres a hole in my nose where all the money goes
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

JPB wrote:I think they were recalled due to a fault with the pressing - the Elvis lyrics never made it to vinyl - only the cd promo.
They were recalled. The first pressing was horrible. Drop the needle on the vinyl and watch it sway at least an inch or more.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
dselevan2
Known user

Post by dselevan2 »

JPB wrote:I would agree that Ladies and Gents doesn't quite work on vinyl. Nor does Pure Phase. However, everything else sounds fantastic on vinyl - especially FUI and LICD.
I can ONLY listen to LICD on vinyl. Someone gave me a copy for free and it's like 100 times better.
My copy of FUI is the same crappy vinyl they used for the first couple albums.
Pure Phase at least doesn't skip and pop like Ladies and Gents and Lazer Guided.
Hey, is the recall the reason they are so expensive right now? I got mine off trade, but the label says $25. I think I got mine for much less. I got that and about 3 other rare records for about $20.
hangingsmoke
New user

Post by hangingsmoke »

ok, so it was a bad pressing, i have heard claims that there was a second pressing. is this true or are all the 2000 records a bad quality recall version?
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

there was a second pressing. and they were fine.
hangingsmoke
New user

Post by hangingsmoke »

are there different matrix codes or any way to distinguish the two is you are buying online?
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

spzretent wrote:there was a second pressing. and they were fine.
What was wrong with the 1st pressing? Off centre or something?
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

yes. way off center. No way to distinguish the two. that I know of.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Christ - I have never played mine. Might be too late to get it recalled if it's a mispress!
ononist
Known user

Post by ononist »

I took mine back to ROugh Trade. Wish i'd kept it now as i've never had one since. They all got recalled.
dselevan2
Known user

Post by dselevan2 »

Mine isn't WAY off Center. It just skips during a song or two
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

second pressing then. and a bad one.
helm
Known user

Post by helm »

I got the vinyl on the day it came out, took it straight home and noticed that it skipped a bit at times. I took it back to the shop and they replaced it right away, however they sold that copy to a friend of mine about an hour later! We only worked this out when my friend told me he didn't have the insert leaflets in his record- I forgot to return mine.

I noticed that the record was going for a fair bit on ebay- who'd have thought it!
dselevan2
Known user

Post by dselevan2 »

Yeah, this record goes for like $200 on ebay. I wouldn't recommend it. Honestly, I got mine from a record collector who takes very good care of his things and maybe played it twice - and it skips during I think I'm in Love. Which is probably why he sold it to me for so cheap, not knowing that this flaw would eventually make it a collectors item. I mean the vinyl will obviously sound better, but this record just works better on CD. Someone already said that and I have to agree. It's the kind of record you listen to for an hour without having to put the needle over a skip or turning the record over. I would say the same thing for Pure Phase, except I really love the 12" photo of the band on the Pure Phase vinyl. It was always one of my favorite pictures of the band. Also with Pure Phase I sometimes only want to hear a 4 song side. I play the Lay Back in the Sun side by itself quite often. It's like 4 great singles.
hangingsmoke
New user

Post by hangingsmoke »

doesn't seen like mine is off center, but it does have alot of pops on the first side, but it looks really clean, so i'm not sure what has happened to it.
dselevan2
Known user

Post by dselevan2 »

sounds just like mine. Same problem on both my copies of lazer guided. sucks.
hangingsmoke
New user

Post by hangingsmoke »

my lazer guided sounds really good, and contrary to what i read some others say, i think it's great on vinyl. the vinyl might be kinda flimsy, but it has great sound.
dselevan2
Known user

Post by dselevan2 »

Really? I have 2 copies, both pop a lot. Maybe I just have 2 weird copies. Or maybe those flimsy records just collect dust easier. Not sure. Both of my copies have issues.
dselevan2
Known user

Post by dselevan2 »

Dude it's 140 pounds on Amazon, crazy!
hangingsmoke
New user

Post by hangingsmoke »

Looks like one just sold on ebay as a buy it now a couple days ago for 40 pounds! Not too bad!
andyblacktoo
Known user

Post by andyblacktoo »

i bought mine on day of release from picadilly records in manchester. played it once, didnt notice anything wrong with it. and then stuck it in a box.

i'll happily part with mine for offers of £140.
andyblacktoo
Known user

Post by andyblacktoo »

ps. my vinyl copies of LGM, live at the RAH, pure phase, amazing grace and songs in a&e are all fine though. the LGM is the nice CWNN one with the free extra 7" as well.
theotherside2
New user

Post by theotherside2 »

Hi, Re : LAGWAFIS - this is the only LP that was a crap pressing.
Grooves were too shallow , I seem to remember was the problem.
2nd pressing wasnt much better.

Other LPs were fine.

Re : Pure Phase 2LP - I've owned over a dozen of these over the years and all have been great.
I guess quality usually depends how much you pay for your copy.
dselevan2
Known user

Post by dselevan2 »

andyblacktoo wrote:ps. my vinyl copies of LGM, live at the RAH, pure phase, amazing grace and songs in a&e are all fine though. the LGM is the nice CWNN one with the free extra 7" as well.
I've got both LGM, I don't like the quality on either. It's like the same vinyl they use on 12" EPs.
RAH - great on vinyl.
gottafire
Known user

Post by gottafire »

I've got two copies! One that was waaaayyy off centre and a good copy. Didn't pay for either of them. The guy in town owns a northern soul record shop and got them as a job lot off some dude so he gave me some Spz records he found. Pure Phase, two ladies and gents and a FUI which was pretty well worn...
http://spiritualizedelectricmainline.blogspot.com/

The place for live Spiritualized®!!

Now with added Tufty power!!!
dselevan2
Known user

Post by dselevan2 »

gottafire wrote:I've got two copies! One that was waaaayyy off centre and a good copy. Didn't pay for either of them. The guy in town owns a northern soul record shop and got them as a job lot off some dude so he gave me some Spz records he found. Pure Phase, two ladies and gents and a FUI which was pretty well worn...
Gotta love how generous fellow Spiritualized fans can be.
JPB
Known user

Post by JPB »

Another 'fantastic on vinyl' record is the Euro Amazing Grace 12". The session tracks (available on complete works 2) sound massive on vinyl.
dselevan2
Known user

Post by dselevan2 »

Played LAGWAFIS for a friend last night, the vinyl sounded great not as bad as I thought.
sparky
New user

Post by sparky »

I got a copy at time time of release and returned it after a few days because it skipped. I got a new copy which is fine. Never knew it was rare :)
fullmetalpants
New user

Post by fullmetalpants »

So is the faulty pressing of LAGWAFIS worth anything to collectors? I got one of these from an import shop in Australia, and couldnt exchange it at the time, so I hung onto it. Disc 1 , especially side 1, has lots of skips and pops. From memory, disc 2 is mostly ok.
Vindaloo
Known user

Post by Vindaloo »

I am well on the way on my vinyl adventure.....

Ive already snared a nice copy of Pure Phase from ebay and just received a MINT copy of RAH today, this is all sooooo good....
Indeed, Amazing Grace LP sounds truly fantastic.....

So what rigs are you vinyl junkies running?

Ive got Project Debut III fitted with Audio Technica AT440Mla > Graham Slee Audio Era Gold V Intro preamp > Nad C350 > Mordaunt Short MS906

/saddo geek
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Vindaloo wrote:

So what rigs are you vinyl junkies running?

/saddo geek
That's a new angle - very nice!

Linn Axis with Goldring MM1042 (cheers Mrs Modlab!), through Musical Fidelity E10 and Richard Allen Dimension Five 3 speakers in the lving room, but with an output amplified through a simple Cambridge Audio A1 into Bose Acoustimass III in the kitchen (as the E10 has only 1 speaker facility). Sounds pretty good.
Mustard
Known user

Post by Mustard »

I have a Rega P3, Creek amp & B&W603 speakers. I like it but my geeky inner voice is calling for an upgrade. Credit crunch says no though.
JPB
Known user

Post by JPB »

Rega P2 / Arcam Amp / Dyna Audio speakers.

Fucked Up Inside sounds fantastic on vinyl. I played my father some Lou Reed and he could see why I still buy vinyl.
dselevan2
Known user

Post by dselevan2 »

I usually buy $100 turntables from pawn shops. It's a little hard to get new needles and stylus's so I usually just get a new record player when my stylus needs a replacement. Right now I'm using Numark. I found 2 at a pawn shop so I got both. That means this one will last me twice as long. I use these big '60s or '70s speakers my folks gave me. It all sounds great to me on vinyl, especially records from the '60s and '70s which were specifically recorded for vinyl. I put on the Electric Mainline single the other day and it sounded awesome.
definiteform
New user

Post by definiteform »

I bought my copy of LAGWAFIS for very cheap at a record store recently and the only thing I have is the needle scraping the side of the groove wall from about halfway through the B Side to the end. You can really only hear it on the quiet parts....