Other message boards

For anything else...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, spzretent, MODLAB, NightWash

runcible
Site Admin

Other message boards

Post by runcible »

I'm guessing many people here are regulars on not just this forum, but other bands message boards as well. I'm curious about the environments of some of these.

I used to post quite a bit on the Brian Jonestown Massacre forum but during the American election a few people were so revolting, one guy casually referring to Obama as Uncle Tombama, that I started to have doubts. A few people on it continued to be obnoxious and I wrote to the moderators and said I was disgusted and wouldn't return. I got a reply which said that people go on there for a variety of reasons which was an interesting way of explaining racist and offensive comments.

Recently I went on the Black Crowes message board to ask where I might send a CD of a band I thought the Crowes wouldn't have heard, long deleted etc. and which I thought they'd be interested in. I was only after a record company address, nothing personal and made sure I stated that. The abuse I got was very surprising - personal insults, one guy said 'fuck off', and many others piled in like a shoal of prihanas and did their best to rip me apart. Needless to say it was the first and last time I posted there.

Most of the other bands I'm passionate about don't have message boards which is a shame. I'm sure there are plenty of interesting places where people are actually nice to each other! The above experiences have made me realise what a nice bunch of people there are on here and what a pleasant environment we have. I've made good friends through this board and I'm looking forward to meeting more forum members at the RFH gigs in October.
Laz69
Known user

Re: Other message boards

Post by Laz69 »

Only other one i read is the Teenage Fanclub one, but this has also died a very lingering death over the last year or so with the allowance of "guest" posters who repeatedly abuse and hurt some very nice regular posters. Many of these so-called "guests" are actually regular members who use this option to abuse and bully other posters for no reason. Disgraceful and cowardly behaviour... i only go there on occasion now to seek out details of TFC and related gigs (BMX Bandits, etc) and to keep an eye out for their new album. Lots of genuinely nice people post on there but it is marred by the behaviour of a select few arseholes who seemed determined to have a go at every opportunity.

We did have a breakaway faction for the band Macrocosmica which was a much better and relaxing place to chat to like minded TFC and Macro fans which evolved into our Gecko-Electric Boogaloo forum. Not specifically music related, but all people who have had enough of the TFC forum's nastiness... shame when good message boards go to shit...

Here i never feel intimidated by other peopl's opinions (apart from some musical discussions where i don't think i can contribute but this is due to knowledge more than nastiness :D ) and i love the cameraderie here and the ability to hear about so much very good music that i may have missed otherwise.

I LOVE you guys (and gals)! :D
nickh
Known user

Post by nickh »

I pop into Tindersticks from time to time, more often recently. It is a little more understated than this board but has a similar dynamic.

I have recognised familiar faces at Spiritualized/Spaceman related gigs around London who probably post on here but I am a little bit too shy to approach people! :roll:
Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

Post by Stuart X.Hunter »

I used to have a go in at the idmforums but it's terribly tedious; just pure name dropping drivel and the discussion (if you could call it that) is limited to what you're listening too all packaged up in a lovely little genre pigeon holes.

Fcuk me; these heads need to get into the 21st century and realise that music is music and sometimes even more than music. I'm sure it's an adequate place for bedroom dj's/producers and *gasp* networking but it's very sterile.

I like it here more. Where else can you talk about obscure african chanting, whilst bantering about football and learning bits about other peoples lives.

I'm very pleased we now have a little area for Art/Design/Film/Literature. I very rarely look in the Music/Gigs/Spacemen 3 section now. Yes, this board has taken on something far greater than music for me. So ta muchly all. I also think that the effort that goes into many posts on this board is stand-out; remember even when Spamuel L Jackson/MUFC Spaceman and $26 had there public debates, regardless if you took a side or even had a clue what either was talking about, you had to admire the effort. Something you don't get many places else. So well done all.

Anyway

Best

Stuart
Shoulders back, smash it
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

I find it curious that some places are effectively no go areas for newbies and anyone trying to join in is unceremoniously pushed out. Some people on the Crowes board had posted over 10,000 times - fuck knows what else they do with their time.

It's good to know that newcomers are welcomed here. There may be a core of posters here but new views and new friends are all encouraged.
Greeny
Known user

Post by Greeny »

I usually check into the forums at Drowned in Sound reasonably regularly, if only to keep abreast of gig/release news I might have missed. Becaue they're so general I haven't seen too much elitism there, but there's no doubt the average age of the posters is considerably less than my 42 years - many DiS forumites are almost certainly young enough to be my offspring!!

The Plan B forum used to be OK too, but since the demise of the magazine itself it's died a bit of a death.

I also tune into the Green Plastic Radiohead forum - Mortigi Tempo - occasionally, as it often has links to bootlegs etc.

But this forum is far and away the best of any I look at, whether music or sports-related!!
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Good to know since it is the only message board I am on. I did look at the Aliens while trying to get Luna on vinyl. That box is ticked so its just here for me. While I know I can be confrontational once in a while I still hold the folks here in very high regard. In fact most of my music recommendations are from this board. I often joke to my friends that I get enough recommendations from the Spz message board to keep me in new/old music. Which is for the most part true.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

I post on the Low group a lot. I used to post loads on the Trail of Dead forum but I cant remember my login and find it too much effort to get a new one.
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

i used the brmc-forum (unofficial) but recived a lot of abuse from the closed inner circle of regular 200-a-day posters and i stopped using the unoffical echo and the bunnymen (villiers terrace) due to the people on there constantly abusing each other and making stupid homophobic and tastless jokes- sure i wasn't offended but boy, was it tedious. i use forums to find out latest news- nothing more-nothing less. on those two sites it appeared that they only used it to form some odd 'outrageous' 'conversations'.

this site is great. the amount of new music i have gleamed from using this site and the gifts i have been given by other users shows what music should be all about, so thank you
'raging and weeping are left on the early road
now each in his holy hill
the glittering and hurting days are alomst done
then let us compare mythologies
i have learned my elaborate lie
of soaring crosses and poisened thorns'
Shaun
Known user

Post by Shaun »

Just this one. I think I joined a Primal Scream forum but don't even post on there or look on there, same with Massive Attack. I did become a member on the This Is The Day forum but have hardly posted on there and I don't think there is very much traffic on there either, but they are a friendly bunch of folk. However I do look in on there from time to time especially when there is a really big political storm afoot as some of the posts are actually very well constucted, like the ones in the Israel-Hamas Deathmatch thread, but I would expect that anyway. On Electrical Audio forum (a site I must have come across on here at some point) there was always some very strange threads in the Crap/Not Crap section but that's a forum I've only recently looked on again after forgetting all about it. I think it also adopts the sort of attitude I don't appreciate.

So it's only this one. For music suggestions this site could never be bettered. And the Comp thread was quite good. That should be revived sometime.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Fucking hell, runcible! Damn bro, out of curiosity I went into the Black Crowes forum and those assholes were unrelenting on what was an honest, good natured, well intended question. What the fuck is wrong with people? You're right though, some of those guys clearly have nothing better to do as their post totals were well into the thousands. Seems sad and awfully cowardly and lame to me for people to hide behind their alias and act the school bully.

Other than a couple Yahoo groups, which have some truly good natured, well informed, generous people that want to talk about and share music this is probably the best music forum I have come across.
They Transmit
Known user

Post by They Transmit »

Drowned in Sound for me is the worst school yard one up manship forum I've ever visited. The average age of posters must be about 17 and it really shows in the type of comments and attitudes displayed. Dreadful place.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Eat-lights-Become-lights/225847625393
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

They Transmit wrote:The average age of posters must be about 17 and it really shows in the type of comments and attitudes displayed. Dreadful place.
this also describes the NME board to a tee. it's horrible.

This board is the only one I frequent and post to on a regular basis, without verging into sychopancy it's got the best balance of people being both hugely nice and hugely knowledgeable. It's just not the busiest board unfortunately.
I sometimes lurk on the MOJO board where there can be interesting discussions, but its a bit 'classic rock' and its not long until the Allman Bros Band are mentioned in just about every thread. :D
also pop into the unofficial verve one but its a bit cliquey and hardly indepth, the best and most interesting posts are by jadams who also posts here anyways.
JPB
Known user

Post by JPB »

I've always read and posted on this board because a) I really love Spz & SP3 but more because b) it's just a great board to talk about any music. The people here love music - no matter where it comes from. It's a smart and uplifting board. Thanks to all the good people.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

I once signed up to another forum for a band I like, but quickly got the feeling that I was not even gonna get a reply until I posted at least 200 times.

Fuck that.

As Runcie and others mention, some places are seemingly - or definitely - not appreciative of new posters, unlike here.

The genuine, music-loving characters here make it very special indeed. That's almost everyone.

It's probably safe to say this place is unique - without getting too emotional I LOVE YOU ALL :oops:
O P 8
porkchop
Known user

Post by porkchop »

I used to check the BJM forum but haven't in ages. To hear knows web(MBV) is cool but ya can't join. So I kinda surf around and try to find boots, rarities etc. Wish there was a Raveonettes forum...but they themselves are really good about keeping the fans updated.....
Sim
Known user

Post by Sim »

I'm not a hugely prolific poster on here but I spend more time here than anywhere else for much the same reasons as have been stated in previous posts in this thread - mainly the friendliness, knowledge and general decency of the board population.

A few years ago I used to frequent the Head Heritage board - had a very similar feel to this board back then, friendly, some good music tips and topics weren't restricted to just Cope/Teardops. Occasionally pop in now and then for a quick read but find it a little too busy to keep track of things (especially the general forum which does now have the feel of a fairly closed group of regular posters - although they are not in the least aggressive or dismissive of new posters).

Post by runcible »

Yes - good shout. There are endless gems of musical discovery on Cope's board and I look at it fairly regularly. The format is rather clumsy but the content positive and well discussed.
flokie
Known user

Post by flokie »

Hmm I have over 10,000 posts on another forum (that's since 2003) - for a band I haven't really listened to at all since 2001-2002! Just one main forum, with everything mashed together, and pretty much all topics are OT so that's fine with me.
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

Bit late replying on this but then I am bored at work so may as well.

I've posted quite a lot on the Primal Scream "webadelica" forum which is mainly a very good one. It dies off when there's not much Scream action going on but there's some great heads over there. Met a few at gigs, always share downloads and what not. I really like it. But you do get some idiots who go on boasting about how 'great' Oasis are just because they sell out big gigs and sell more records......like that's a sign of greatness! Basically just Trolls looking for attention and a comeback who're not really fans of the band. Fuzzhead was a regular and there were tribute posts about him when he passed away.

This forum is really good. I've not posted loads on here but enjoying popping in daily to see what's going on, catching up on who's got the Elevators box set, giving opinions, seeing who's into what bands, all the usual malarkey really but done in a really friendly way. I've hardly noticed any baiting or outright abuse which is a surprise really as I'm so used to seeing it on the Scream forum.

Other than that I post occassionally on Julian Copes Head Heritage forum, and less so on the Drowned In Sound one which is a school playground at the best of times.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

flokie wrote:Hmm I have over 10,000 posts on another forum (that's since 2003) - for a band I haven't really listened to at all since 2001-2002! Just one main forum, with everything mashed together, and pretty much all topics are OT so that's fine with me.
I'm guessing you aren't aggressive, rude or elitist in terms of your input to the board though. Big difference from people who have posted 10,000 messages that diss almost everyone else which is what that Crowes forum is like. They genuinely think that if they've posted loads they are better people than people who've just arrived.
Already There
Known user

Post by Already There »

Well, where to start... The first band message board I was on... Travis. And then The Vines. Still the old forum and I joined the new one on 18/11/2004. I am still pretty regular on the Vines board. I used to be in a great great Who forum. But they shut it down. Sadly. It was probably one of the best band message boards I've ever been on. Oasisfanatic. That one was pretty good to go to from time to time when I was heavily obsessed with the band. Well, at least I didn't get on THEIR nerves. I also registered on a German Oasis message board. I haven't been on their too often though. I also am still registered in two Beatles forums. ^^ Coldplaying and Atease. Also two important band message boards for me. I think there are a couple more forums, but they are too many and not important enough to be listed here.
W: What are we supposed to do with that?
M: Eat it.
W: Eat it? Fucker’s alive.
M: Yeah, you’ve got to kill it.
W: Me? I’m the firelighter and fuel collector.

Gigs 2010: http://www.last.fm/user/Colin_in_Mexico/events/2010
Already There
Known user

Post by Already There »

Greeny wrote: I also tune into the Green Plastic Radiohead forum - Mortigi Tempo - occasionally, as it often has links to bootlegs etc.
Oh well, I also am on that one. ^^ Now that I read it. And I am on Revolving Doors II as well. ^^
W: What are we supposed to do with that?
M: Eat it.
W: Eat it? Fucker’s alive.
M: Yeah, you’ve got to kill it.
W: Me? I’m the firelighter and fuel collector.

Gigs 2010: http://www.last.fm/user/Colin_in_Mexico/events/2010
Chris Barrus
Known user

Post by Chris Barrus »

I'm still admin the DroneOn, Seance, and Sp lists (they're on Google now) and both DroneOn and Seance get a steady number of posts. Other than that, I hang out on ILX and that's about all I have time for.
spacemanD
New user

Post by spacemanD »

I was going on the Oasis one a bit,kind of got fed up with alot of the assholes on there. Some of the stuff people would be really close to the bone-jokes abouts kids etc,pretty sick shit. Im not a prude but there's some things you just don't joke about. Being a big fan of the band I found it quite sad that there's so many idiots that like them.

Apart from that one and the occasional visit to the Jet one,it's just this one I use and I must say it all seems pretty chilled on here which is cool. :) :)