Lockerbie bomber Al Megrahi released.

For anything else...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, spzretent, MODLAB, NightWash

niamhm
Known user

Lockerbie bomber Al Megrahi released.

Post by niamhm »

The Scottish Justice Minister over saw the release of the bomber today ,I`ve been following the build up to what seemed to me ,his inevitable release these past few weeks and honestly I`m confused ( seems to me this may have been the intention from the start).... I can`t honestly remember being subjected to as much misdirection,smoke and mirrors and half truths in a long time ,
I`m supposed to feel pride in the Scottish justice system and parliment showing compassion for a dying man ,the American government think were weak and wrong ,or do they ?Hillary certainly applied some pressure last week but the Scottish Office obviously at the behest of the UK government sticks 2 fingers up and release`s him any way(when did this ever happen before ?) Gary Mckinnon must be spewing they couldn`t do the same for him!

He had a good case for appeal apparently,but then drops his appeal after a personal visit to his cell by the justice minister so no one ever finds out what the new evidence is ,so case closed coz he`s still guilty,this seems like a pretty novel new slant on justice,

Blair has meeting in the Lybian desert,the oil companies are all moving in on the big bucks so that`s good ,

only thing I know for sure is a convicted mass murderer ,270 dead, is released after barely 10 years ,I`m old enough to remember Lockerbie quite clearly and how horiffic it was and this out come is nowhere near satisfactry enough,

its giving me a sore head trying to fathom out ,probably easier just to forget all about it ,

or is this just what THEIR hoping for?

stinks to high f8ckin heaven.
spzretent
Site Admin

Re: Lockerbie bomber Al Megrahi released.

Post by spzretent »

isn't life in prison supposed to be just that. granted, he may have been the scapegoat but it sends a horrible message to the rest of the world.
Oil wins AGAIN! And for this magnanimous gesture you guys get to pay what? 6 quid a gallon for gas?
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

What I can't work out is the link between a guy who was found guilty of killing 270 people and the 'compassionate grounds' for his release. There's no sense here. The Scottish Justice Minister looked helpless when he was interviewed on the news last night - the interviewer said basically every terminally ill prisoner in Scotland now has grounds for release and there is no argument against that.
Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

Post by Stuart X.Hunter »

niamhm wrote:
its giving me a sore head trying to fathom out ,probably easier just to forget all about it ,

or is this just what THEIR hoping for?
Absolutely and if they could subscribe you a pill, they would!
runcible wrote:What I can't work out is the link between a guy who was found guilty of killing 270 people and the 'compassionate reasons' for his release. There's no sense here.
My own opinion is that Megrahi was just a face, an outcome or a result. An image that tied up everything up, nicely.
Can you imagine the repercussions had Megrahi' conviction been overturned?
How much wonga has been made by people off the back of this?
How many uncertainties/incomplete evidence and later revoked statements were made at his trial?
Could one man be ultimately held responsible?

Someone must've been getting close. Or Megrahi imprisonment must've been getting in the way.

Compassionate leave is about the best excuse they could've come up with.

And whilst it stinks; does it actually surprise anyone?

Best,

Stuart
Shoulders back, smash it
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

I need to read up more on this very suspect case. I was 16 in 1988 so remember the bombing well and the picture of the intact cockpit and thinking about having a blown up plane falling down onto your local area. Beggars belief. Horrifying. I can't remember the lead up to the guys conviction though and what the evidence was. Something about a suitcase, clothing labels?

This latest development is a joke. Compassionate grounds for a mass murderer is a joke. It was a joke for Ronnie Biggs as well. Whatever next? All terminally ill prisoners will be asking for release now. God help us when kiddy killers get an early release with elbow cancer or something (not wanting to sound like a News Of The World headline)

I saw the news this morning and the uproar about the guys welcome home party. He'll be treated like a hero to some but then that's the way the world turns isn't it. I heard about the oil links as well so does that mean at some point I'll be able to fill my Citroen C3 up with £30 worth again?? Paying that and only getting it 3/4 full is shite.

Money, power, greed. The true killers.
Mustard
Known user

Post by Mustard »

OK, from what I've read - Sometime prior to Lockerbie US warship shoots down an Iranian jet over Gulf. They claim they thought it was going to attack them, had no lights to distinguish they were a commercial flight and were on an incorrect path. Evidence suggests otherwise. Then Lockerbie. Instead of pointing to Iran they switch their attention to Libya. They didn't want to openly accuse Iran - apologies I can't exactly remember why - something about Iran-Contra deal rings a bell. A couple of days prior to Lockerbie word was sent around US diplomats and family based in USSR who were due to fly back to the US on the flight through Frankfurt(?). Apparently there was even a note placed on a notice board warning of possible attack. As a result they all cancel their trips on the plane. Coincidence? Conspiracies? I dont know. My humble probably ill-informed opinion is that he is innocent - large part of evidence is a sighting in Milan clothes shop by a man who had already seen his photo in the newspaper linked to the story - Rumours of Scottish Police being denied access to crash site in days after while CIA officals were searching area - and this release has all been set-up to pave way for oil deals. All makes sense in a very foggy sort of way which is about as much as they want anyone to know. I think it is covered in Robert Fisk book - 'The Great War For Civilisation'.
about it leaves
All in all - very sad. I'm Scottish and remember the night - it was my school leavers disco, cold, raining, windy night and I remember the shock on my parents faces when they told me what had happened. Still shocked just thinking about it.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

When in doubt, blame the Yanks!
Mustard
Known user

Post by Mustard »

Spzretent - post was never intended to have a go at you lot over there, hope you haven't taken it as that. My post was sketched from my poor memory of what I'd read. As far as believing it? Maybe, parts of it, mixed with mis-information some intended and some not. I certainly can remember that when the case was on trial it was widely reported to be a bit of a sham. The book I read wasn't Robert Fisk but another investigative reporter whose name escapes me, I'll try and remember it - he compiled a book and included a piece by another journalist re. Lockerbie.
Mustard
Known user

Post by Mustard »

Ok. Did you just edit your first post? Was typing a reply when I checked back after posting and you'd changed it? Maybe I read your post wrong. I'll try and find the piece I read and at least give you the details. What I do remember was that although the piece didn't necessary prove that Iran carried out the bombing it did pretty much piss on the trial of the LIbyan.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

No personal attack taken. I just think the conspiracy theorists blame the US for everything now. Especially England where your country was duped into a war that should have never happened. I'd be pissed too! in fact I am. We started a war on lies.

I read a pretty detailed book on Pan Am flight 103 and never did it mention anything about the CIA's possible involvement. And I believe the book was written by a non US citizen.

I think the damage from the 8 Bush, moreover Cheney, years will haunt us for a long, long time.
Mustard
Known user

Post by Mustard »

Finally found it - the Book was by John Pilger 'Tell Me No Lies' (excellent book and well worth a read - the majority of pieces were interesting, shocking and disturbing) and the Lockerbie piece was by Paul Foot, referred to here http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2004/mar/3 ... rbie.libya

I can't seem to remember the piece necessary blaming the US for planting the bomb but more just shifting the blame from those more likely to be responsible to those who may be a believable suspect. Even Michael J Fox in Back To The Future had to deal with Libyans.
ORBITAL
Known user
Location: Drinking Breaker at night, in the cold duchess light.

Post by ORBITAL »

It's just a ride
Work is the scourge of the drinking classes
Mustard
Known user

Post by Mustard »

Whoever did it, why and whatever, It now looks like us Scots gie big cuddles to terrorists and send them on their way. I guess that they wont be drinking much Scotch in the White House for a while. Are we now included in the Axis of Evil?
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

I have to say that this is utter bullshit. I will proudly drink scotch and one this evening!

It reminds me of freedom fries.

M
Design.
Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

Post by Stuart X.Hunter »

Yes, it's hysterical all this boycott Scotland stuff...

I'll assume that all televisions and phones will not be used by those who vehemently object to "one" mans decision!

However, must be a right scunner for the lawyers who secured a prestigous award 3 weeks ago for securing over 3 billion bucks in compensation from Libya and Pan Am. I'm sure they got there cut too.

As Orbital sais "It's just a ride".

It troubles me all these people showing outrage....was it Pacino who said; "Truth, you can't handle the truth" best to carry on blindly. 1+1=3

Look at Megrahi again; guilty? We all know the answer but some are too frightened to admit it to themselves.

Best,

Stuart
Shoulders back, smash it