Do you have a fave Beatles album?

For anything else...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, spzretent, MODLAB, NightWash

Spiritinthesky
Known user

Do you have a fave Beatles album?

Post by Spiritinthesky »

Any Beatles fans?

http://www.thisdayinmusic.com has a poll to find out what is your favourite Beatles album.

Abbey Road has the most votes so far, then The White Album, then Rubber Soul.

Have a look if you fancy a vote.
solarflarez
Known user

Re: Do you have a fave Beatles album?

Post by solarflarez »

Hard to choose between Revolver and The White Album, but at the mo, i'd pick the latter.
The Breeze
Known user

Post by The Breeze »

I'd have to say, "The Best of the Beatles".
ORBITAL
Known user
Location: Drinking Breaker at night, in the cold duchess light.

Post by ORBITAL »

The Breeze wrote:I'd have to say, "The Best of the Beatles".

Ahh - Haa

:)
Work is the scourge of the drinking classes
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

I prefer Wings. The band the beatles could've been.
The Breeze
Known user

Post by The Breeze »

For anybody wondering what the dickens we are on about, check out this classic bit of Alan Partridge;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyZspqjtG2k

Not forgetting the Kate Bush Medley http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2IZwOOGGrU (Don't Give Up!!!!)

and from possibly his finest episode of KMKY http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1v8VAt5hO8s
nickh
Known user

Post by nickh »

DAN! DAN! DAN! DAN! DAN! DAN! DAN!
scratch
Known user

Post by scratch »

I had the patchy rubber soul and the excellent with the beatles when I was 6..
My third album was Something new with Komm gib mir deine hand; probably their finest moment.
Please please me is also a decent album.

They never made a perfect record when they started wanking around in the studio and "wrote" all their own stuff, although Abbey road could have been a good album had they replaced maxwell, darling, something, octopus and here comes the sun with some good chuckberry, burtbacharach or even some more motown covers like on with the beatles?
"the greatest example of self-violation in the history of art"
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

is wrote: It would be too easy to let this pass... I mean, opinions are easy - we're all allowed our own, but: Abbey Road better without Something? I am not having that. That's just wrong.
I completely agree - didn't spot that at first - as Something is one of my favourite George Harrison songs which features one his finest (and most blissed out) guitar solos. I'll throw in Here Comes The Sun as another brilliant track which Scratch thinks is unworthy. I'm with him on Octopus and Maxwell though.
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

I'd have to go for the White Album (bar Revolution # 9 which is crap). Behind that is either Revolver or Magical Mystery Tour, which I had playing during Sundy dinner yesterday, very nice if I do say so myself. The last bit of Hello Goodbye is magnificent, euphoric.

Something is a beautiful song. Abbey Road seems to be getting all the plaudits these days, esp with the remasters out there. I flit between loving their later 'rock' period and the 60's pop of their LSD period. Amazing how much they crammed into those 7 or so years.

But yes, The White Album is for me.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

johnnyboy wrote:I'd have to go for the White Album (bar Revolution # 9 which is crap). Behind that is either Revolver or Magical Mystery Tour, which I had playing during Sundy dinner yesterday, very nice if I do say so myself. The last bit of Hello Goodbye is magnificent, euphoric.

How funny - I also played Mystery Tour and Revolver during lunch yesterday! And yes indeed - I love Hello Goodbye with its irresistable ending that you can't help but bop along to. It was apparently made up on the spur of the moment which again shows the talent McCartney has. Annoyingly I have forgotten which other Beatles track the end of Hello Goodbye is whistled along to as it fades out (I'm sure someone will tell me).

Also agreed - the White Album (bar Revolution 9) is my pick. Someone once played me Revolution 9 when I was on acid and it was somewhat traumatic.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Every Beatles album has a filler track or two that I skip but my faves in order:

Revolver
Abbey Road
White Album
Let it Be
Sgt. Peppers
Rubber Soul

When the drugs started creeping in their music became so much more interesting.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

redcloud wrote: When the drugs started creeping in their music became so much more interesting.
A fact even they would probably go along with. It's interesting how many heroin songs there are on The White Album.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

When push comes to shove its a toss up between Revolver and Abbey Road.
I bought the remaster of the White Album and i think it could have been an amazing single lp.
Abbey Road w/o Something and Here Comes The Sun, Oh Darling no freakin way!
Maxwell....maybe.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

runcible wrote:
johnnyboy wrote:I'd have to go for the White Album (bar Revolution # 9 which is crap). Behind that is either Revolver or Magical Mystery Tour, which I had playing during Sundy dinner yesterday, very nice if I do say so myself. The last bit of Hello Goodbye is magnificent, euphoric.

How funny - I also played Mystery Tour and Revolver during lunch yesterday! And yes indeed - I love Hello Goodbye with its irresistable ending that you can't help but bop along to. It was apparently made up on the spur of the moment which again shows the talent McCartney has. Annoyingly I have forgotten which other Beatles track the end of Hello Goodbye is whistled along to as it fades out (I'm sure someone will tell me).

Also agreed - the White Album (bar Revolution 9) is my pick. Someone once played me Revolution 9 when I was on acid and it was somewhat traumatic.
Haha, nice lunch music! Seemed to go quite well with our lamb shanks and veg. Even our 19 month old girl was nodding her head and clapping her hands in a funny fashion.

Had to google that whistling thang and came up with TWO OF US as the tune in question. Apparently John whistles the outro of Hello Goodbye at the end of it.

Revolution # 9 on acid. Ouch! I think I've only ever played that track the once. I nearly gave it a go whilst painting on the weekend but it just wound me up so skipped to the next track.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

johnnyboy wrote: Haha, nice lunch music! Seemed to go quite well with our lamb shanks and veg. Even our 19 month old girl was nodding her head and clapping her hands in a funny fashion.

Had to google that whistling thang and came up with TWO OF US as the tune in question. Apparently John whistles the outro of Hello Goodbye at the end of it.
It sounded great - it goes with Gnocchi with pea and pancetta cream sauce too! My kids didn't care for it much (the music that is although my 9 year old sat with a long face in horror at the filth I'd served up). My oldest said 'hmmm, not really my kind of thing'. I kept saying 'this is what I listened to when I was your age'. They know The Beatles influenced the music they like but they prefer the modern equivolent.

Yup The Two Of Us it is. That fits now.
scratch
Known user

Post by scratch »

runcible wrote:
is wrote: It would be too easy to let this pass... I mean, opinions are easy - we're all allowed our own, but: Abbey Road better without Something? I am not having that. That's just wrong.
I completely agree - didn't spot that at first - as Something is one of my favourite George Harrison songs which features one his finest (and most blissed out) guitar solos. I'll throw in Here Comes The Sun as another brilliant track which Scratch thinks is unworthy. I'm with him on Octopus and Maxwell though.
Something is the best of the 5 tracks I would have liked to be replaced.. the bridge "you´re asking me" etc is actually very good..
but there are many stronger beatleGeorge songs:
Don´t bother me, Think for yourself, If I needed someone, Taxman, I want to tell you, Love you to, Blue jay way, Guitar, Long longlong, Savoy truffle, Its all too much, I me mine..

In my opinion Lennon´s not so serious Here comes the sun king from the medley is a whole lot better than the Harrison tune.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Its All Too Much is the best Beatle George track ever imnsho! But the comment was about Abbey Road.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
The Breeze
Known user

Post by The Breeze »

johnnyboy wrote:Annoyingly I have forgotten which other Beatles track the end of Hello Goodbye is whistled along to as it fades out (I'm sure someone will tell me).
I think that you are referring to the song Two Of Us which is on Let It Be.

I have been a big Beatles fan for 28 years. I wrote to Paul McCartney when I was 10, (John Lennon had been dead a year so I guessed that he wouldn't reply), and Macca kindly sent me back a signed photo. Who signed it I do not know but I was welcomed into the Wings Fun Club with open arms. How I looked forward to recieving that quarterly newsletter featuring the latest on Linda's horses escapades.

I love Revolution 9. It is sad, experimental bollocks well placed in the dropping-off stages of the White Album. Surely this nonsensical wank opened the door to true genius later on - I'm thinking about Orb's Adventures Beyond The Ultraworld.

I have also come to the conclusion that the greatest Beatles work was the double A-side Strawberry Fields/Penny Lane. The beauty of the guitar sounds, backward cymbals etc.. still gets me on every listen to Strawberry.

I was listening to the remastered Pepper at the weekend in the car. On the run out of the album after Day In The Life is some backwards bollocks that whacked out theorists have been trying to suss for years. My four year old shouted "That's the same noise my monkey makes when I squeeze it!!"

Everybody's Got Something To Hide...
scratch
Known user

Post by scratch »

The Breeze wrote:
I have also come to the conclusion that the greatest Beatles work was the double A-side Strawberry Fields/Penny Lane.
paperbackwriter/rain for me
I was listening to the remastered Pepper at the weekend in the car. On the run out of the album after Day In The Life is some backwards bollocks that whacked out theorists have been trying to suss for years..
"I know.. must not, (but) could kill many of them.." or "I know my snot.. could be any of them"

Here is what could have been the best Beatles album (Abbey road) imho

Side 1:
1. "Come Together"
2. "Old Brown Shoe"
3. "Hey Bulldog"
4. "It´s All Too Much" (8 min version)
5. "Don´t Let Me Down"
6. "I Want You (She's So Heavy)"
Side 2:
7. "The Inner Light"
8. "Because"
9. "You Never Give Me Your Money"
10. "Sun King"
11. "Mean Mr. Mustard"
12. "Polythene Pam"
13. "She Came in Through the Bathroom Window"
14. "Golden Slumbers"
15. "Carry That Weight"
16. "The End"

It would perhaps be more logical to swap with Let it be tracks since they were made only weeks apart? ..but that record is pretty good as it is.
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

You'd take out "Something"?! Blasphemy! (just kidding)

I don't think the Yellow Submarine songs would fit at all in the context of Abbey Road songs. "It's All Too Much" was recorded before Sgt Peppers and "Hey Bulldog" was record over a year before they started working on Abbey Road. They represent a different era of The Beatles altogether...
scratch
Known user

Post by scratch »

toomilk wrote:You'd take out "Something"?! Blasphemy! (just kidding)

I don't think the Yellow Submarine songs would fit at all in the context of Abbey Road songs. "It's All Too Much" was recorded before Sgt Peppers and "Hey Bulldog" was record over a year before they started working on Abbey Road. They represent a different era of The Beatles altogether...
Yes, but they were released the same year as Abbey Road.. and Across the universe was more than 2 years old when it appeared on the Let it be album.. so the Beatles themselves weren´t that picky when it came to including different "eras" on the albums.
How many eras are the last 2½ years of Beatles releases according to you?
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

"Hey Bulldog" is magic isn't it.

I really, really like "Oh, Darling" - the vocals and harmonies are superb!

And the Pepper loop track at the end...

"I'll fuck you like Superman" :shock: - somebody one told me. Sounds more like "never could have had it any other way...". Probably neither.

Best Beatles album?

Love. :D
O P 8
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Abbey Road is my fave, but I haven't heard all their albums yet.

I love Oh Darling too, a wonderful doo wop pastiche, love the production, those harmonies and that bassline!!
The only weak link is Maxwells Silver Hammer for me...
And Octopus's Garden is fantastic- a far superior Yellow Submarine!!

Sgt Peppers is great production and all that, but the only keepers on that one for me are A Day In The Life, She's Leaving Home, Lovely Rita, and the Peppers tracks. Rest I can take or leave.
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

scratch wrote: Yes, but they were released the same year as Abbey Road.. and Across the universe was more than 2 years old when it appeared on the Let it be album.. so the Beatles themselves weren´t that picky when it came to including different "eras" on the albums.
How many eras are the last 2½ years of Beatles releases according to you?
I'm not sure about the number of eras, but I would say they changed quickly enough during the second half of their career to consider each album a separate era. Wouldn't you agree that The Beatles who recorded Sgt Peppers were drastically different than The Beatles who recorded Abbey Road - in a number of ways...musically, emotionally, personally, etc? The Beatles were constantly moving and changing their music. The Yellow Submarine soundtrack was released in January '69 with its original songs recorded well before then, representing something much different than what The Beatles were doing at that time (shooting Let it Be). Even between Sgt Peppers/Magical Mystery Tour and The White Album, their music changed a lot. Then to take songs from the Sgt Peppers/MMT era and put them into Abbey Road in Sept '69, at the end of their career, puts them even more out of context.

"Hey Bulldog" and "It's All Too Much" are both great songs, but out of place in Abbey Road. But of course, this is only my opinion....It would be much different if they actually recorded the two songs during their Abbey Road sessions. I'm sure they would sound much different. Hmmm...that would be interesting to hear.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

angelsighs wrote: Sgt Peppers is great production and all that, but the only keepers on that one for me are A Day In The Life, She's Leaving Home, Lovely Rita, and the Peppers tracks. Rest I can take or leave.
I love it. I'm currently somewhat obsessed with Ringo's With A Little Help From My Friends which oozes loads of charm - the chorus is so sweet it's untrue. That song, plus Fixing A Hole and Getting Better form the basic blueprint for much of the great material The Olivia Tremor Control, for instance, produced 25 years later.

The reprise of the title track is rippling psychedelic rock - I don't normally see people refer to it that much but I think it sounds amazing. Hendrix thought so too - anyone heard the rather hissy recordings of his version? Fantastic also.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

runcible wrote:
angelsighs wrote: Sgt Peppers is great production and all that, but the only keepers on that one for me are A Day In The Life, She's Leaving Home, Lovely Rita, and the Peppers tracks. Rest I can take or leave.
I love it. I'm currently somewhat obsessed with Ringo's With A Little Help From My Friends which oozes loads of charm - the chorus is so sweet it's untrue. That song, plus Fixing A Hole and Getting Better form the basic blueprint for much of the great material The Olivia Tremor Control, for instance, produced 25 years later.

The reprise of the title track is rippling psychedelic rock - I don't normally see people refer to it that much but I think it sounds amazing. Hendrix thought so too - anyone heard the rather hissy recordings of his version? Fantastic also.
Oh yeah love Hendrix's version. I've got a rather good quality audience recording on a boxset somewhere. It's played at breakneck speed. Its uncanny how he could hear that heavy trippiness in there and take it further.

With A Little Help... is rather charming I guess, it's just a bit too twee for me. The whole album does seem very McCartney based to me, and Lennon's bits seem quite lazy.

Also forgot Within You Without You- I love George's Indian sounding songs.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

angelsighs wrote: Oh yeah love Hendrix's version. I've got a rather good quality audience recording on a boxset somewhere. It's played at breakneck speed. Its uncanny how he could hear that heavy trippiness in there and take it further.

With A Little Help... is rather charming I guess, it's just a bit too twee for me. The whole album does seem very McCartney based to me, and Lennon's bits seem quite lazy.

I have a Monterey box set with a muffly Hendrix version - sounds great though. I think the original is awesome - it's quite heavy if you listen to it.

I love Lennon's stuff - Mr. Kite, Lucy In The Sky... I remember someone telling me when I was about 9 that all the bits 'newspaper taxis' etc. were 'what drugs are like' which I found both scary and intriguing at the time.

Yeah - George's strings. Why do people dislike that track? I also love the way The Dub Syndicate took a sample and turned it into 'Reggae Raga'.
scratch
Known user

Post by scratch »

toomilk wrote: "Hey Bulldog" and "It's All Too Much" are both great songs, but out of place in Abbey Road. But of course, this is only my opinion....It would be much different if they actually recorded the two songs during their Abbey Road sessions. I'm sure they would sound much different. Hmmm...that would be interesting to hear.

I consider come together and she´s so heavy being more related to hey bulldog than maxwell´s silver hammer or octopus´s garden.. I guess I have always thought that most of the later albums have songs that doesn´t fit into the feel of the album or takes it in the wrong direction.. (usually I blame paul, although I also admire him a lot)
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

For years I thought McCartney was dodgy. Some really terrible chart material - Waterfalls, Frog Chorus etc. - but over the last 10 years or so I admire him more and more. His talent is unquestionable, the different singing styles he has, so many of his songs... I just have to admire the guy. It's hard to choose between him, Lennon and George as the greatest Beatle. Ringo was always playing catch up on the talent front although I love a few of his songs too.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

runcible wrote:
angelsighs wrote: Oh yeah love Hendrix's version. I've got a rather good quality audience recording on a boxset somewhere. It's played at breakneck speed. Its uncanny how he could hear that heavy trippiness in there and take it further.

I have a Monterey box set with a muffly Hendrix version - sounds great though. I think the original is awesome - it's quite heavy if you listen to it.

I love Lennon's stuff - Mr. Kite, Lucy In The Sky... I remember someone telling me when I was about 9 that all the bits 'newspaper taxis' etc. were 'what drugs are like' which I found both scary and intriguing at the time.

Yeah - George's strings. Why do people dislike that track? I also love the way The Dub Syndicate took a sample and turned it into 'Reggae Raga'.
The version i've got is recorded in Stockholm, if i remember correctly. It's from the box simply called 'The Jimi Hendrix Experience'. I think it sounds like an audience recording but its not muffly at all.

The strings are so lush on Within You Without You, i like that they don't sound obvious or sappy, they just sort of float.. great stuff.
spacemanD
New user

Post by spacemanD »

Seargent Peppers lonely heart club..Not a massive Beatles fan but this album is outstanding.